daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Asian Skyscraper Forums > East Asia > Mainland China Forums 中国大陆论坛 > Culture & Heritage/文化与遗产

Old April 4th, 2006, 04:29 AM   #1
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 6136

Xian Plans to Relocate Administration to Suburbs to Preserve Downtown

Heritage-conscious Xian to clear out city center

BEIJING, Feb 17, 2006 (AFP) - The ancient Chinese city of Xian, home to the terracotta warriors, is planning to relocate its administrative center to the suburbs to preserve its historic downtown area, state media reported Friday.

The number of people living in the city center would also be reduced by almost half to less than 250,000, the China Daily said.

The project would cost 50 billion yuan (6.2 billion dollars) and take 30 years, but would be worth it for the northwest Chinese city, capital for many dynasties, it said.

"The present layout of the downtown area is suitable neither for the development of the city, nor the preservation of ancient relics," Guo Zhifeng, an official at the urban planning bureau, told the paper.

Ancient structures, such as the 13.7-kilometer (8.6-mile) city wall, are currently crammed together with modern buildings, making for frequent traffic jams, the paper said.

The massive relocation would kick off this year and affect the communist party headquarters, the municipal government and the municipal legislature, it said.

While the modern facilities were moved out, ancient palaces and commercial areas would be rebuilt, it said.

Although residents would be moved to a new satellite town on the outskirts of Xian, some were unhappy about the plans.

"I have been living inside the city walls for 71 years and I'm really reluctant to say goodbye to the place," said Wu Deyuan, a downtown resident. "But I understand it is necessary for Xian's development."

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg | Moscow | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Sydney | Hanoi | Bangkok | Prague

New York, London, Seoul, Taipei, Mumbai, Tokyo, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old April 4th, 2006, 03:50 PM   #2
Pangu
中華民國

Likes (Received): 16

Good!

I'm glad that the Xi'an government is taking a major step toward preserving the ancient city.

I wish Beijing would do the same, but I'm afraid it's a tad too late as the area around Tian'anmen Square and the Forbidden City is already too developed.
Pangu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2006, 10:57 AM   #3
didu
Lord of the Ring

Likes (Received): 1

The West Main Street is home to a huge Hui community and that's where people go to get
the best food in the city, they've lived there for ages and I hope the government will not
force them to move, it would be a huge pity if they did.

Xi'an's much smaller than BJ, and within the city walls, there aren't that many ancient
buildings other than the bell tower, the drum tower and the old Hui community on the
West Main street.
Old April 6th, 2006, 02:37 PM   #4
UD2
A very cool person

Likes (Received): 26

the think the the Hui tridition is what the government is trying to perserve.
"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed" - President Eisenhower
UD2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2008, 11:32 AM   #5
Johnor

Likes (Received): 46

Any news from this renovation?
I like to hear more from it....
Johnor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2008, 01:53 PM   #6
dodge321

Likes (Received): 12

Last time I been back to Xi'an (yup my hometown) was 2003, it hasn't really changed much from what I remember from when I left in 1995. The compound where my grandparents lived still looked pretty much the same (It just felt a lot smaller then that I was bigger lol), and the city still felt pretty much the same from when I left 8 years ago (then again I was 8 when I left so I might not remember the city so well). Still really dirty and dusty, bad roads, old buses, lot of beggars...could be I was too used to Auckland. Hopefully Xi'an is a much better place now.

But yeah its good seeing that Xi'an is taking the initive to preserve heritage, the true treasures of China.
dodge321 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2008, 10:58 PM   #7
dragonball

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by didu View Post
Xi'an's much smaller than BJ, and within the city walls, there aren't that many ancient
buildings other than the bell tower, the drum tower and the old Hui community on the
West Main street.
How big Hui Community in Xian ?
dragonball no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2011, 11:37 AM   #8
travelworld123

Likes (Received): 20

interesting! great to here preservation in Xi'an. I just hopes it goes well and it's not too 'artificial' etc... I also think the very old communities and families that have lived there for many generations should stay.

Any updates??
Kuala Lumpur - Here
Beijing - Here
Chengdu - Here

Been To: Beijing, Shanghai, Hong Kong, Shenzhen, Chengdu, Hangzhou, Suzhou, Macau, Tokyo, Osaka, Kyoto, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Bangkok, Phuket, Chiang Mai, Siem Reap, Phnom Penh, Ho Chi Minh City, Hanoi, Sydney, Brisbane, Gold Coast, Cairns, Los Angeles, New York City, Washington DC, Toronto, Orlando, London, Paris, Berlin, Munich, Salzburg, Budapest, Istanbul
travelworld123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2011, 12:38 PM   #9
dean87
kedahsejahtera

Likes (Received): 2076

agreed...
ancient city of xi'an should be well-preserved and the old HUI community as well...their people, tradition, foods, etc were one of the best ever....most of them make the ancient buildings/culture still alive

LOVE TO REVISIT XI'AN...
dean87 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2011, 01:57 AM   #10
fragel

Likes (Received): 32

they should learn from Suzhou, which already set up a model for preserving old city core and developing new areas on the outskirts.