daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 24th, 2007, 02:32 PM   #41
flesh_is_weak
Oberste Richter

Likes (Received): 8

i have a suggestion: put it on high orbit...that ought to make the UN more 'universal' so to speak
flesh_is_weak no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 25th, 2007, 10:37 AM   #42
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10806

Quote:
Originally Posted by staff View Post
Holy shit. What's wrong with (a significant proportion of) Toronto forumers?
The civic pride boosting thing seem to have worked.
I don't see what's wrong with being civic minded. There are many cities that would love to have the UN, Toronto included. New York City wasn't a bad choice to build the UN, but times have changed since 1945.

Shouldn't the UN be hosted in a country where it isn't neglected, or perhaps in a more neutral country? If Americans want the UN, they should pay attention to it. Look at this Montreal proposal:

http://galeriedephotos.cyberpresse.c...ck&a=1102&m=cp

Last edited by isaidso; October 25th, 2007 at 10:45 AM.
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2007, 06:40 PM   #43
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 17827

The UN has been pretty clear in asserting that they weren't going to leave New York. Their structure is not likely to change, with other key locations in Vienna and Geneva.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2007, 09:01 PM   #44
isaidso
the new republic

I agree that the likelihood is almost nil, but the current state of their infrastructure is pretty bad. New York benefits tremendously from having the UN. They should offer more support than has been offered.
Old October 25th, 2007, 09:05 PM   #45
Gary_A_Hill

Likes (Received): 1

Stay in NYC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordMarshall View Post
As for moving the HQ do a different city, I’m against the idea. The UN belongs in NY, over 50 years of history is associated with the buildings where they are now. I’m not willing to let that history go to waist just because the host country at present has problems with the UN. The Americans at the start were really proud of hosting the organization this pride needs to be rebuilt with the building.
I agree with this sentiment. Part of the reason for the delay is merely partisan politics in the US. Bolton has a reputation for being anti-UN, and because of this he couldn't even get confirmed by the Senate, so he is now gone. The President who appointed him will be gone in another year, and we can hope for better relations with the UN then.
Gary_A_Hill no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2007, 09:14 PM   #46
Gary_A_Hill

Likes (Received): 1

International Style

Quote:
Originally Posted by PotatoGuy View Post
I always thought the building was quite ¨70´s¨
It's actually "International Style," a term dating from the 1930s which applies to many buildings built in the USA in the 1950s and 1960s. It's also a good example of the type, and symbolic of the UN (because of the assembly hall). I'm in favor of restoration.
Gary_A_Hill no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2007, 09:22 PM   #47
isaidso
the new republic

I have no issue with the UN staying in New York, but the UN shouldn't be subjected to the climate of American politics. Places like Switzerland host many international organizations because they are stable and are seen as neutral. New York and the USA are neither these days.

The UN probably won't move, but the present situation is ridiculous.
Old October 26th, 2007, 04:20 AM   #48
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
I have no issue with the UN staying in New York, but the UN shouldn't be subjected to the climate of American politics. Places like Switzerland host many international organizations because they are stable and are seen as neutral. New York and the USA are neither these days.

The UN probably won't move, but the present situation is ridiculous.
The UN site is technically not American soil, and even if they are based elsewhere, given America's clout, the American influence is not likely to reduce.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old October 28th, 2007, 12:44 PM   #49
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

Likes (Received): 883

Quote:
Hell, move that sucker to Toronto. Americans don't deserve to have it in their country. Toronto was made for the UN. Toronto is a microcosm of the world with no dominant ethnic group. No major world city can say that.

Toronto isn't English, Chinese, Italian, Russian, Nigerian, Brazilian, German, American, or any one thing in particuilar. It's a bringing together of the world's people under the umbrella of tolerance and liberty. Toronto is what the world would look like if all borders were erased. Every religion, nationality, ethnicity, culture, race, or obsure minority is represented in this city. There's never been anything like Toronto in the world. What better place on earth for the UN?
WTF? You're actually saying that no other city on Earth is as multicultural as Toronto?

What a load of shit. You obviously have no idea about other cities and other countries.

I agree with taking the UN from NY, as the Americans are compromising it, but I wouldn't give it to Toronto. Western Europe would be far better as it's one of the few places left that is embracing democracy, rather than cutting away at the very foundations of it like the US is doing.
Old October 29th, 2007, 06:35 AM   #50
isaidso
the new republic

It is you who is talking out of your ass. The United Nations itself views Toronto as the most multicultural city on earth. They are a fairly credible source, if you ask most people. There are many other academics and intellectuals that have argued that Canada is uniquely place to become the world's first post-modern nation. Suggested reading: Nationalism Without Walls by author Richard Gwyn. Toronto is further along the journey of diversity than anywhere else. Not only in the % of foreign born, the number of immigrants it takes in every year, but multicultualism is in fact the law of the land. The Constitution of Canada enshrines multiculturalism as the central principle of the nation. Canada is the first nation to do this.

There is no dominant group in Toronto any more. London is dominated by British, New York by Americans. If you strip away the British from London, or Americans from New York, you get Toronto. Almost everyone here is from somewhere else. Those that can be classified solely as Canadian, are in the minority. You may not agree with this argument, but there is alot of data and research to back this up.

There are many good candidate cities, I've never said anywhere that there weren't. I was born and raised in London, travelled all over Europe, spent alot of time in New York, and now live in Toronto. Having experienced all of these places, I agree with the United Nation's on this one. You don't have to, but if you think it is shit, take it up with the UN and do a little travelling before you make such ignorant comments. I moved here because it is an exciting time to be here. I asked a Russian why he moved to Toronto. His response was an exaggeration, but in many ways, very true: "everyone is moving here".

Last edited by isaidso; October 29th, 2007 at 07:13 AM.
Old October 29th, 2007, 06:46 AM   #51
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10220

I visited the building back in the summer. Nice but the style is dated, and when I mean dated, that's not a compliment.

Anyway, I don't see the UN leaving anytime soon, thinking of a place to put the HQ would absolutely just bring non-stop bickering between nations. Chances are, though, it would be in a country on the Security council.

Quote:
The United Nations itself views Toronto as the most multicultural city on earth.
Don't get me wrong, Toronto is obviously a diverse place, and I'm not discounting that, but I believe that UN proclamation was an urban legend...
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2007, 07:22 AM   #52
isaidso
the new republic

I agree that the UN will stay in New York. It isn't an undesirable location. I'm not quite sure what you mean by urban legend though. People seem to get enraged even at the assertion that some place else might offer more diversity than London or New York. They can't fathom it. New York and London are universally viewed as the most diverse because of their place in the world. Doesn't mean that they are though.
Old October 29th, 2007, 07:33 AM   #53
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10220

They aren't the most diverse places on earth, as that's all up to opinion and how you see diversity as. But London and NYC are cities of power and will continue to look as themselves as so.

As for the urban legend thing, I believe that there was a report by the UN that said that Toronto, along with Miami and Vancouver, had the largest percentage of foreign-born, it never actually said it was the most diverse city in the world and now the urban legend has perpetuated itself for the longest time.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2007, 07:50 AM   #54
Epi

Likes (Received): 77

The UN needs to be in America. As the most powerful nation on Earth, if America wasn't so directly involved with the UN, it would give it one more reason to back out of it.
Epi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2007, 12:23 AM   #55
TalB
Refugee

Likes (Received): 78

How about moving the UN to Gaza City, especially since Hamas supports the UN a lot.
Old December 18th, 2007, 12:09 PM   #56
hkskyline
Hong Kong

UN chief to work in tent on north lawn during five-year plans to refurbish UN building
17 December 2007

UNITED NATIONS (AP) - Renovations to the United Nations' stylishly obsolete headquarters are $219 million (euro152 million) "projected over budget," the former architect for the National Park Service who is heading up the five-year renovations said Monday.

"These are based upon the delays of the past year," Michael Adlerstein told reporters. "We are absolutely committed to bringing the budget back completely to the original."

A little over a year from now, U.N. Secretary General Ban Ki-moon and the General Assembly will be working in something of an elaborate tent city on the U.N. compound's north lawn by the East River.

After renovations are complete, the United Nations "will not only be a safer, healthier, greener and a more secure place -- our renovated workshop for peace will also stand out as a symbol for building a revitalized united nations for a better world," U.N. deputy spokeswoman Marie Okabe said.

While the 39-story Secretariat building and adjoining General Assembly Hall undergo a planned $1.876 billion (euro1.3 billion) interior makeover, Ban and other U.N. employees and delegates will remain on the U.N. campus, housed in a temporary conference building on the north lawn, Adlerstein said.

Last week, the General Assembly signed off on Ban's plan to accelerate renovations, the first such work since the U.N. headquarters was built 55 years ago. Work that was initially planned to last seven years is now scheduled to be completed by 2013.

The work is due to start next spring. While the buildings contain art and other cultural gems from around the world, they also have lead paint, asbestos insulation, worn-out interiors and outdated electrical wires and plumbing.

The iconic postwar exteriors will remain the same. Plans also call for renting space enough to move hundreds of other U.N. staff elsewhere in Manhattan and across the East River in Long Island City.

Adlerstein, who helped with improvements to the Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island and New York Botanical Garden, said the renovations to heating, cooling, security, fire, information and broadcast systems would turn the building into "a model of environmentally sustainable construction" that consumes 40 percent less energy, in keeping with Ban's instructions.

The U.N.'s energy bills are about $13 million (euro9 million) a year, Adlerstein added.

Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg demanded in October that U.N. officials quickly install new sprinklers, smoke detectors and exit signs or he would quit allowing students to visit because the buildings violate fire and safety codes. "We are in total agreement with the city of New York," Adlerstein said.

Old December 19th, 2007, 02:57 AM   #57
shadyunltd

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
I agree that the likelihood is almost nil, but the current state of their infrastructure is pretty bad. New York benefits tremendously from having the UN. They should offer more support than has been offered.
Dude, the USA is the country contributing the most to the budget of the UN. In my book, that's enough.
shadyunltd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2007, 03:06 AM   #58
LMCA1990
Top tier

Likes (Received): 3458

I hadn't seen this thread. I'm glad the UN's HQs is getting renovated 'cause, honestly, it's ugly
Old December 20th, 2007, 10:28 AM   #59
Ebola
BANNED

Likes (Received): 94

Funny how a thread about refurbishing the UN Global HQ building turns into a thread about how the US doesn't deserve the honor of having it and how it should be moved to another country, but that was obviously a given due to utter retards and racist idiots of SSC.

Last edited by Ebola; December 21st, 2007 at 03:13 AM.
Ebola no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2007, 12:07 AM   #60
cheeps
BANNED

Likes (Received): 112

Move the UN out of the USA.
cheeps no está en línea   Reply With Quote