daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 22nd, 2007, 11:00 AM   #61
Ch.G, Ch.G

Likes (Received): 18

I'm surprised no one posted this story published by the New York Times late November:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/28/world/28nations.html

It doesn't go into great detail, but it implicates the United Nations in the hold-up for renovation just as much as the United States. Of course, truth matters little in the face of anti-US bias rampant in this threat, but I still figured I'd throw it out there.

And, yes, as a city with an ethnic plurality (37% White, 28% Black, 27% Latino, 10% Asian according to the 2000 census), a foreign-born population totaling 36%, and 170 languages spoken, New York is -- clearly! -- far from a "microcosm" of the world. Those damned Americans!
Ch.G, Ch.G no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 22nd, 2007, 11:01 AM   #62
Ch.G, Ch.G

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalB View Post
How about moving the UN to Gaza City, especially since Hamas supports the UN a lot.
I second that motion.
Old December 28th, 2007, 11:16 PM   #63
TalB
Refugee

Likes (Received): 78

The reason why the UN was chosen to be in the US was b/c of the fact that the US was one of the few countries to have the ability to veto bills, which other countries lacked. At first the idea to have the UN was in DC, but it was rejected b/c that city was the capital of the US, and it felt too American to hold a world organization. Another city was in Philly, but b/c of having the Declaration of Indendence written there, it too was viewed as being too American. The same went was Boston when there was the Boston Tea Party, which lead to the American Revolution. San Francisco wasn't hated, but was rejected b/c it was too far for most of the original members. I think it was good that NYC was picked b/c it already had, and countinues to have, a large international population. The reason it stands where it is now was b/c the US government thought it would be joke building it on the east side, especially the fact that it was on the site of abandoned warehouses and factories. Before the current location was built, they were placed in Corona Pk in one of the former sites of the 1939 World's Fair. BTW, the UN has it's own zip code separate from the rest of the area it's in, so it's mailed to differently.
Old December 29th, 2007, 07:12 AM   #64
TU 'cane
Registered User.

Likes (Received): 111

Are renovations even necessary?

Principle 27: The burden of debt is as destructive to freedom as subjugation by conquest.
-28 Principles of Freedom

"Political correctness does not legislate tolerance; it only organizes hatred."
-Jacques Barzun
TU 'cane no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2007, 03:46 AM   #65
Ch.G, Ch.G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Giggles View Post
Are renovations even necessary?
Are you kidding? The thing's falling apart.
Old April 10th, 2008, 07:31 PM   #66
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 17827

U.N. leases offices in N.Y. Picks building in midtown
27 March 2008
The Washington Times

The United Nations yesterday said it has leased 15 floors of midtown office space, crossing the final logistical hurdle before the nearly $2 billion renovation begins in June.

The organization will shift some 1,800 employees to a Madison Avenue glass tower for up to six years, while the iconic Secretariat Building is stripped down to the concrete slab and rebuilt with modern systems and security.

The high price of temporary offices had threatened to derail the ambitious reconstruction effort, which includes the removal of asbestos-laden building materials, measures for the protection of visiting dignitaries and restoration of delicate historical architectural details.

The new space will run slightly more than $53 per foot per year - roughly half the going rate for comparable midtown office space. That works out to roughly $24 million per year.

The new location "will allow us to complete our swing-space needs while providing excellent proximity to the U.N. compound," said Michael Adlerstein, the architect who is overseeing the six-year plan.

He said the negotiations began in December and were vetted by U.N. procurement and the legal office.

The move will begin later this year or early next year.

The organization would not normally be able to afford 460,000 square feet of office space at 380 Madison Ave., an increasingly empty office tower on one corner of 47th Street.

Due to a complicated land lease, however, the office building is to become vacant in 2014, and few companies want to move into a building for only six years.

The building's owner, New York real estate titan Sheldon Solow, has a tangled history with the United Nations.

Mr. Solow is said to have opposed - loudly and powerfully - the organization's construction of a new building on city space at 42nd Street and First Avenue, just a few yards south of the U.N. compound. The New York State Senate finally denied the United Nations permission to build on the site in 2004.

Now Mr. Solow has offered the United Nations space in the office tower he plans to construct on the site of a former Con Edison power plant just one block south of the U.N. compound. The organization is an appealing tenant, unlikely to be affected by economic downturns. It could also be a magnet for international organizations or foreign missions seeking nearby space.

That office tower, as well as a half-dozen residential towers, was to have received the go-ahead last night by the New York City Council.

However, the United Nations has millions of square feet of nearby office space, almost all of it at deeply discounted rates.

These leases, which can cost as little as $23 per square foot - one-quarter of the prevailing prices - do not expire until 2023, giving the organization plenty of breathing room.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2008, 12:43 AM   #67
Pegasusbsb27
BANNED

Likes (Received): 20

Oh come on people. If the world has a capital it is New York City. I think that everybody agree with me...So the UN must stay right there!
Pegasusbsb27 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2008, 01:52 AM   #68
rover3
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

[QUOTE=isaidso;13355941]Hell, move that sucker to Toronto. Americans don't deserve to have it in their country. Toronto was made for the UN. Toronto is a microcosm of the world with no dominant ethnic group. No major world city can say that.

QUOTE]

That's really stupid BS. The reason the UN ended up in New York was because the Rockefellers had this big plot of land near the East River and agreed to deed it to the new world organization, back in 1946-47 if the then-new UN would plant its hqtrs there. (The small Rockefeller University is right next door.) The UN accepted. And because the US was about the only major country intact after World War II, it also, I believe, paid for building the GA building -- which is why it has also been loath to shoulder the major portion of the renovation as well. I mean the US already paid for the original; why should it have to shoulder the upgrade as well?

I worked for the UN in the mid-80s. The reason UN hqtrs will NOT move elsehwere is because the UN rank-and-file, the support staff, are happy in New York. THey do NOT want to move elsewhere. In the late 70s, Vienna offered a complete city outside present-day Vienna, already built. I believe it was to be called World City. THe UN turned down the offer.

Another thing you big complainers all kvetch about is that with like some 210 member nations, you also need all those support buildings for the 210 or so Missions (they are called Missions, NOT consulates), living quarters for all the workers, NOT only of the United Nations administration itself but all the Mission workers and all their families as well. And then when the General Assembly opens every September/October, you also need like, some 20 first-class hotels to house all the heads of state AND their retinues that come to town for the Opening. I doubt that even Geneva has THAT many first-class hotels to fill this need.

In other words, NYC has the infrastructure and the cultural diversity to support a world organization like the UN. Not every city can. But with the honor comes the headaches as well.

Last edited by rover3; April 23rd, 2008 at 05:58 PM. Reason: xx
rover3 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2008, 02:49 PM   #69
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Vienna still has quite a large UN presence. I thought their compound was just like an enclosed city. So the World City project was even bigger than what's there now?

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old April 24th, 2008, 01:08 AM   #70
Jim856796

Likes (Received): 844

So the UN needs temporary office space while their buildings undergo reconstruction. Why don't they acquire an office building that is completely vacant as their temporary headquarters? I don't know if the UN will have a temporary headquarters during this rebuilding.

You support the good projects... and oppose the bad.
Jim856796 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2008, 07:09 PM   #71
rover3
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim856796 View Post
So the UN needs temporary office space while their buildings undergo reconstruction. Why don't they acquire an office building that is completely vacant as their temporary headquarters? I don't know if the UN will have a temporary headquarters during this rebuilding.
On the surface that would make sense, but:

1. The UN has to officially keep its hqrts, even if only in name, on UN land -- so it's technically INDEPENDENT of USA jurisdiction.

2. What mdtown Manhattan office buildings will give you a General Assembly hall (w/ all the intepreter and other support facilities, etc.) built in PLUS the Security Council, FAO Assembly rooms, etc.? None.

(The tall slab is called the Secretariat. The lower structure w/ the little dome is called the "GA" (or General Assembly wing).

So this rebuilding every 10 floors is the best option. It will only displace some 1,800 employees with every shift, and those employees have to be physically close to UN hqrtrs. Also, remember that the UN already rents/occupies a lot of other surrounding office space that is NOT on UN land.

Last edited by rover3; April 26th, 2008 at 07:15 PM.
Old April 28th, 2008, 04:12 AM   #72
hkskyline
Hong Kong

The UN isn't a very rich organization. I don't think they can afford a couple hundred million to buy a building.

Old May 4th, 2008, 03:53 PM   #73
Astralis
Out of time

Likes (Received): 26

They should renovate it ASAP .
Astralis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2008, 09:26 PM   #74
Thorgeirr
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by alesmarv View Post
I realy dont see why the United Nations is staying in America, they should realy move to another country. America doesnt deserve their presens.
I was thinking the other way. UN doesnt deserve to be in USA. Maybe they can move it to countries like Libya, you know one of the countries in human rights commission.
Thorgeirr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2008, 07:03 AM   #75
hkskyline
Hong Kong

U.N. headquarters renovation launched in New York
By Patrick Worsnip
Mon May 5, 3:18 PM ET
Reuters

Officials in blue U.N. hard hats broke ground on Monday for a temporary building at the United Nations, launching a $1.9 billion renovation project to make U.N. headquarters safer, more comfortable and greener.

The three-story structure to be built on the U.N.'s north lawn beside New York's East River will house conference rooms and the U.N. General Assembly until restoration of the nearly 60-year-old U.N. skyscraper is completed in five years.

The distinctive blue-tinted glass and steel 40-story building housing the U.N. secretariat, which was designed by French architect Le Corbusier and Brazil's Oscar Niemeyer, has been increasingly showing its age.

It has water dripping through its roof, toxic asbestos lining its ceiling tiles, no sprinklers in case of fire and erratic heating and cooling systems, leading to friction with New York City authorities.

New York architect Michael Adlerstein, the latest manager to head the much-delayed project, told reporters the aim was to leave the building's exterior looking the same as it does now.

"However, it will be a greener, more sustainable building, it will be a much safer builder and it will be modern," said Adlerstein, who previously worked to renovate buildings ranging from New York's Statue of Liberty to India's Taj Mahal.

From the end of this year, most of some 4,700 staff will be moved either into the temporary structure or into rented premises in Manhattan. The Security Council, however, is slated to continue functioning in the existing complex.

INCONVENIENCE

Speaking at the ground-breaking, U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon said the work would bring "considerable inconvenience" to employees.

Ban and 16 other senior U.N. officials and diplomats then donned hard hats and used shovels to turn over dirt, marking a symbolic start to the project.

The project has been much criticized for delays. Planning started in 1995 and has been through several managers including Adlerstein's predecessor and fellow American, Louis Frederick Reuter, who quit after 10 months in what he called frustration at working within the U.N. system.

Cost estimates have also spiraled. Last October, Ban decided to speed up the project to keep it within a budget approved by the General Assembly of $1.877 billion.

Construction manager for the project is Skanska Building USA, a unit of Swedish construction group Skanska.

Old May 10th, 2008, 03:44 AM   #76
Frank J. Sprague

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalB View Post
How about moving the UN to Gaza City, especially since Hamas supports the UN a lot.
That is an excellent idea, we can also get the US out of the UN at the same time. I've never been to NYC but I understand that the UN headquarters is on one end of 42nd street so it's probably prime real estate. The UN could sell the land off for high rise condos and use the proceeds to help finance construction of their new headquarters in Gaza which will provide a lot of construction jobs.
Frank J. Sprague no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2008, 04:07 AM   #77
rover3
BANNED

Yeah, right. The land of the UN was deeded to it 'in perpetuity' or until the organization disbands. I think you underestimate the UN if you think they will give up such prime Manhattan real estate so easily.
Old May 10th, 2008, 05:14 AM   #78
Frank J. Sprague

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover3 View Post
Yeah, right. The land of the UN was deeded to it 'in perpetuity' or until the organization disbands. I think you underestimate the UN if you think they will give up such prime Manhattan real estate so easily.
Nope, I imagine they will sell for as much as they can get, should bring in quite a fortune. IIRC it was Rockefeller money that paid for the, if they are forced by the deed to hold title to the land then they can develop the site and use the income to finance operation at the their new headquarters in Gaza (or Geneva, Vienna, Toronto or wherever in the event that the Gaza location proves unsuitable for some unforeseen reason).
Frank J. Sprague no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2008, 06:20 AM   #79
rover3
BANNED

I know that. I mentioned that in a previous post. Read the rest of the thread before you post anymore so your points don't become redundant.
Old May 12th, 2008, 02:02 AM   #80
Thorgeirr
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover3 View Post
They dont deserve a spot in Manhattan. I agree that they should get out.
Thorgeirr no está en línea   Reply With Quote