daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 11th, 2006, 10:42 PM   #21
TroyBoy

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthias Offodile
Please do not always believe Western media that merely loves to paint a dark image of Africa, in Africa there a couple of countries that rival Thailand´s or Malaysia´s GDP per head and nobody is talking about them: Besides South Africa we have got Botswana, Gabon, Equatorial Guinea, Seychelles, Namibia and Mauritius. ....and many are showing great strenth of improving for example Mozambique, Angola, Nigeria, Ghana, Senegal, Tanzania.....Sao Tomé is on the verge of becoming the next Brunei of Africa with just 140 000 inhabitants it sits on almost 8 billion barrels of oil....Africa will change and change will come more quickly than in Asia DURING THE 70´S AND 80´S! There are many basket cases, of course, but a lot of countries which are growing admiringly well whereas Western media still cling to show Aids and hunger....just travel a bit back in time: how did Western media portray India in the late 80´s and even early 90´s? A sub-continent with no hope at all: we were just being presented starvation and abject poverty and if one follows the recent reports on India lately how positive and shining they have become......

INVEST IN MARKETING AND GOOD PROPAGANDA AND INVESTORS WILL FOLLOW SUIT
Western Media is not bad on Africa at all for the most part they dont talk much about them, except for Morracco and Egupt
lots of people here go on vacation to South Africa.

Sponsored Links
Old April 11th, 2006, 11:02 PM   #22
Soulbrotha
abdulsharifshoots.com

Likes (Received): 41

i've been to Dakar! in between south africa and new york we stopped in Dakar.
Soulbrotha no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2006, 11:17 PM   #23
Matthias Offodile

Likes (Received): 15880

Troyboy, are you kidding? Whenever Western media (and especially English-speaking media) show or write someting on Africa they treat it like a monolithic block (africa is a 2country" in their eyes without knowing that it consists of over 50 states) which is helplessly lost in despair, starvation, plunder and war for eternity...and some wild animals roaming about in no man´s land, for the "brighter" side of the continent. sorry, but that is what they solely love to portray ....
Matthias Offodile no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2006, 11:24 PM   #24
Nick in Atlanta

Likes (Received): 5

Here is the article in English, which is the language of this subforum, translated by Google-Translator. Any strange sounding language caused by a computer translating one language into another are purely for everyone's enjoyment.

Quote:
Pose in Dakar of the first stone of future "the Kadhafi Turn"

SENEGAL - April 5, 2006 - by PANAPRESS

The Guide of the Libyan revolution, Mouammar Kadhafi, and the president Senegalese Abdoulaye Lagging, proceeded Wednesday, in the neighbourhoods of the Port authority of Dakar, with the installation of the first stone of future "the Kadhafi Turn". This building, which will be high of 60 stages, will be financed entirely by the Funds of Libyan investment for Africa at a cost of approximately 250 million dollars (125 billion F CFA), will be built on a site of the peninsula of C$cape Verde to choose later on by the sénégalaise parts and Libyan woman. The complex will occupy a surface of 5 hectares and will include/understand a hotel five stars of more than 250 rooms and 40 continuations, apartments with use of dwelling, a modern shopping centre of a great capacity of reception, modern offices equipped with last technologies. The "Kadhafi Tower", which will be, according to initiators', one highest of sub-Saharan Africa, will also include/understand a great center of flexible conference of more than 5000 places which will make it possible to accomodate national and international events major in cultural matter, scientific and diplomatic. According to the national Agency of the Organization of the Islamic conference (ANOCI), deputy building owner of the complex at the sides of Libyan company LAAICO, the Senegalese, African and international sector national of new technologies, companies of knowledge, high finance, international trade as of the international organizations expressed their "keen interest" for the construction of this complex. "This tower answers perfectly the parameters fixed by the president of the Republic, Me Abdoulaye Wade, for the taking into account of the quality of the life in the construction of the real infrastructures", declared the secretary executive of the ANOCI, Abdoulaye Baldé. "the large metropolises of the world are known to associate their name an icon: New York has its Statue of Freedom, Paris its Tower, Kuala Lumpur his Netronas turns, Sydney its Opera ", pointed out Mr. Baldé, also secretary-general of the presidency of the Republic. "Tomorrow, when very high in the sky the splendid building spouts out which will take form in the heart of this beautiful peninsula of C$cape Verde, Dakar and its Kadhafi Tower form for the posterity the emblematic image of emergent Senegal in Africa moving", it added, indicating, at the place of the Kadhafi Guide and president Wade, who the generations present will be grateful to them for this work. Crowd present at the ceremony of installation of the first stone accomodated in the enthusiasm with songs and dances, this project which will allow, of the opinion of Libyan company LAAICO, to give a blow of inch to several sectors in Senegal, like the Employment Policy, tourism and the businesses.
After trying and failing to use his oil money to make Libya the leading country of the Arab world, Kadhafi decided a few years ago that he would use his oil money to make Libya the leading country of Africa. Don't be fooled. Much like most criminals, when he does you a favor, such as donating $250 million for a building, you now owe him one.
Nick in Atlanta no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2006, 11:26 PM   #25
TroyBoy

What channels are you watching.

True they very rarly show African cities, they usally show the wildlife, which is what makes most of Africa different.
Old April 11th, 2006, 11:39 PM   #26
Nick in Atlanta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulbrotha
i've been to Dakar! in between south africa and new york we stopped in Dakar.
Soutbrotha, you didn't fly through Atlanta when you went to South Africa? Say it ain't so!!
Old April 12th, 2006, 12:54 AM   #27
KB

Likes (Received): 6802

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick in Atlanta
After trying and failing to use his oil money to make Libya the leading country of the Arab world, Kadhafi decided a few years ago that he would use his oil money to make Libya the leading country of Africa. Don't be fooled. Much like most criminals, when he does you a favor, such as donating $250 million for a building, you now owe him one.
Well atleast he does a favor before we owe him one..

Look at Bush, doesnt do anybody any favor and all the world owe him a portion of their oil ( otherwise they become terrorists)!
KB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2006, 01:02 AM   #28
KB

Glad to see development going on in Africa too. This was the sight of the first humans civilization and it ought to make a comeback now..

go Africa
Old April 12th, 2006, 01:39 AM   #29
Nick in Atlanta

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbboy
Well atleast he does a favor before we owe him one..

Look at Bush, doesnt do anybody any favor and all the world owe him a portion of their oil ( otherwise they become terrorists)!

Man, that is some heavy political insight. Wow, who are you really kbboy, some sort of super (dare I say "uber") analyst of geopolitics?
Old April 12th, 2006, 01:53 AM   #30
KB

Quote:

Man, that is some heavy political insight. Wow, who are you really kbboy, some sort of super (dare I say "uber") analyst of geopolitics?
I hate it when people start blaming other when they themselves can bear the truth.

This is an african thread. Lets leave politics aside. U shouldnt have put your personal comments, attacking someone as criminal.

Thats the end... No more political comments plz.. from all of us.
Old April 12th, 2006, 01:55 AM   #31
KB

Quote:

I hate it when people start blaming other when they themselves can face the truth.

This is an african thread. Lets leave politics aside. U shouldnt have put your personal comments, attacking someone as criminal.

Thats the end... No more political comments plz.. from all of us.
Old April 12th, 2006, 05:18 AM   #32
2 for the road

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyBoy
What channels are you watching.

True they very rarly show African cities, they usally show the wildlife, which is what makes most of Africa different.
All you know about Africa is its wildlife? I think you have proved Matthias Offodile's point about the media not focusing on anything dealing with modernity in Africa.

I am going to assume you know all about the decline of Zimbabwe but know nothing about the fast growing African economies which are the majority.
2 for the road no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2006, 09:44 AM   #33
You are to blame

Likes (Received): 95

TroyBoy tell me how often you hear stories like this in the western media about Africa.

Quote:
Africa's star nations in for faster growth, says top economist
April 12, 2006

By Mariam Isa

Johannesburg - Growth in some of Africa's best-performing economies might accelerate further in the next few years, reaching between 8 percent and 10 percent on a sustainable annual basis, a leading international economist said on Monday.

Michael Klein, the chief economist for the International Finance Corporation (IFC), said foreign direct investment (FDI) inflows for several African economies had reached between 2 percent and 4 percent of gross domestic product, comparable to emerging markets in Asia.

Klein, who is also vice-president for private sector development for the World Bank and the IFC, was speaking during a visit to South Africa.

Economic growth on the continent was set to exceed Latin America for the second year in a row, boosted partly by the increased FDI, along with faster growth and trade flows, and lower inflation, Klein said.

"We have seen since 1995 a full decade where the continent overall has shown overall growth beyond the previous 20 to 30 years. Per capita incomes are rising by between 1 percent and 2 percent a year.

"Technically, there is no reason growth of between 5 percent and 7 percent shouldn't rise to between 8 percent and 10 percent in a sustainable way."

Increased global appetites for yield and risk were partly responsible for the turnaround in Africa, but other factors included trends on the continent such as subsiding conflicts and improved economic management, he said. - Reuters
http://www.busrep.co.za/index.php?fA...613&fSetId=662
Old April 12th, 2006, 12:15 PM   #34
Matthias Offodile

Likes (Received): 15880

you are to blame and 2 for the road: Thanks A LOT for helping me: that is exactly what I am trying to put accross to Troyboy.

I AM REALLY FED UP WITH WESTERN MEDIA ONLY SHOWING HUNGER AND BLOOD-THIRSTY REBEL FIGHTERS AND OF PEOPLE WHO BELIEVE THAT IS ALL AFRICA HAS GOT TO OFFER FOR THE NEXT TWO HUNDRED YEARS TO COME
Matthias Offodile no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2006, 09:22 PM   #35
DamienK

Likes (Received): 83

Great news! Of all the populated continents of the world, Africa has had the same number 1 building for the longest time (N.America's Sears was completed the year after). It will be good to see a new skyscraper.
DamienK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2006, 02:40 PM   #36
Nightsky
Illustrator

Likes (Received): 3702

Any renderings? I am always interested about new projects in "rare" cities.

Website about my travels and buildings in USA and Europe -many cool pics:
http://www.worldtravelimages.net

All my diagram drawings - more than 700!:
http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?14670510
Nightsky está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2006, 05:21 PM   #37
hsark
Afritect

Likes (Received): 617

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightsky
Any renderings? I am always interested about new projects in "rare" cities.
heres another one from this "rare city" lol

go to the africa thread in the middle eas and africa section

one nation, one zambia

横浜市, Yokohama Japan
hsark no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2006, 05:58 PM   #38
3tmk
Rusty Robot

^oh so that's what we're talking about?
That's an old project, I thought this was something new :P
Old April 13th, 2006, 08:49 PM   #39
Mosaic
BANGKOK

Likes (Received): 758

any cool rendering , please?
Mosaic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2006, 11:18 PM   #40
TroyBoy

No what im saying is the media only shows wildlife in africa.

I only know that a few countrys in Africa are developed, like south africa, morracco, egupts and some others, im sure theres more, its just i hear nothing about othe coutrys in africa.