daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 13th, 2006, 11:27 PM   #41
marcobruls

Likes (Received): 1586

Great another continent who wants oil.....
marcobruls no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 13th, 2006, 11:36 PM   #42
Amd1588

Likes (Received): 3

[IMG]Great news! Of all the populated continents of the world, Africa has had the same number 1 building for the longest time (N.America's Sears was completed the year after). It will be good to see a new skyscraper.[/IMG]

Its interesting that you say that. Because i was just reading times wonders of the world and i found it interesting that, the Pyrimids stood as the tallest buildings on earth for over 23 Centuries. And if that isnt a testament to the capabilities of man, i dont know what is. Africa may not in modern times (after colonialism) had a world's tallest, but by todays standards ( and how long bulidings remain the title of tallest) 23 centuries is a long time, and it was built by Africa.
Amd1588 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2006, 04:43 AM   #43
Nick in Atlanta

Likes (Received): 5

I have a tough time seeing how the Egyptian Pyramids can fit in any definition of a building. They are tombs for Egyptian Pharoehs (sp?), not office buildings, residential buildings or anything in that category.
Nick in Atlanta no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2006, 04:55 AM   #44
Svefn-g-Englar
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

And What about Botswana, Namibia and Maurutius?
Svefn-g-Englar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2006, 05:40 AM   #45
Nick in Atlanta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svefn-g-Englar
And What about Botswana, Namibia and Maurutius?
What does that have to do with what I said?
Old April 14th, 2006, 06:54 AM   #46
3tmk
Rusty Robot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amd1588
[IMG]Great news! Of all the populated continents of the world, Africa has had the same number 1 building for the longest time (N.America's Sears was completed the year after). It will be good to see a new skyscraper.[/IMG]

Its interesting that you say that. Because i was just reading times wonders of the world and i found it interesting that, the Pyrimids stood as the tallest buildings on earth for over 23 Centuries. And if that isnt a testament to the capabilities of man, i dont know what is. Africa may not in modern times (after colonialism) had a world's tallest, but by todays standards ( and how long bulidings remain the title of tallest) 23 centuries is a long time, and it was built by Africa.
That is a very bad analysis!
And Africa isn't the only part of the world with an image problem. Cleveland had it in the US. Eastern Europe has a bad image everywhere. For many people India is a huge slumtown.
Africa isn't spared, but don't say it's plagued either, Eastern Europe probably gets a just as bad publicity.
Even if some of the critics are often true, the same goes to Africa too.
But do you know who gets the worse rap of all? Sharks! Everytime they talk about sharks it's about another sharkbite victim! Nobody talks about dolphins attacking people!
Old April 14th, 2006, 07:03 AM   #47
You are to blame

Likes (Received): 95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick in Atlanta
What does that have to do with what I said?
He was refering to troyboy who said only S. Africa, Morroco and Egypt were developed, when their are other countries on the continent more or equally developed as those.

ie. Botswana, Mauritius, Namibia, Gabon.
Old April 14th, 2006, 03:18 PM   #48
hsark
Afritect

Likes (Received): 617

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3tmk
^oh so that's what we're talking about?
That's an old project, I thought this was something new :P
no thats a different project nobodys got the render of the new project yet just wanted to show people an example of whats happening in dakar

ps u said other places in the world get a bad rap u forgot the middle east when was the last time u saw anything good on the area on cnn or sky they hardly even talk about the places like dubai

one nation, one zambia

横浜市, Yokohama Japan
hsark no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2006, 04:42 PM   #49
3tmk
Rusty Robot

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsark
no thats a different project nobodys got the render of the new project yet just wanted to show people an example of whats happening in dakar

ps u said other places in the world get a bad rap u forgot the middle east when was the last time u saw anything good on the area on cnn or sky they hardly even talk about the places like dubai
Oh, so that's even better, if Dakar is getting a new tallest in addition to these skyscrapers.
As for the media, yes you are right. Well they do talk occasionally about Dubai's success, I remember CNN making a whole document when Dubai wanted to buy the ports, etc. From time to time the West does acknowledge the great feats of Dubai, however what they love to point out is how Dubai does it, with the bad treatment of the labor force, etc. Same goes for Shanghai, they always criticize how China doesn't care about its labor force. I agree it's sad that so many people die in poverty only to bring their country up to par with the industrialized world, but Europe should not forget at what cost it came to where it is now, with the industrialization of the 19th century, the Wars, etc. It's a very sad part of humanity, but who ever said everything was pretty in pink? Even Chicago has to deal with poverty, so why should Dubai or Dakar not be able to build skyscrapers.
Old April 14th, 2006, 04:46 PM   #50
Ŝróndeimr
Adventurous!

Likes (Received): 2264

Great news for Senegal and Africa, though i am still waiting for some renderings.
Ŝróndeimr está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2006, 05:59 PM   #51
Amd1588

Quote:
I have a tough time seeing how the Egyptian Pyramids can fit in any definition of a building. They are tombs for Egyptian Pharoehs (sp?), not office buildings, residential buildings or anything in that category.
I didnt say that to say that they were office buildings or anything like that. But the point i was tyig to make is that the are still manmade skyscrapers and very advanced for there time. My point is that it show how addvanced a african civlizaton was at the time compared to what they have been unable to accomplish in modern times. I mean even today no one could recreate the pyrimids and even if they did ( which they have been) i highly doubt that theyll be standing in the in the next 23 centuries. BUt the African ones will be!

[QUOTE]
That is a very bad analysis!
And Africa isn't the only part of the world with an image problem. Cleveland had it in the US. Eastern Europe has a bad image everywhere. For many people India is a huge slumtown.
Africa isn't spared, but don't say it's plagued either, Eastern Europe probably gets a just as bad publicity.
Even if some of the critics are often true, the same goes to Africa too.
But do you know who gets the worse rap of all? Sharks! Everytime they talk about sharks it's about another sharkbite victim! Nobody talks about dolphins attacking people! [QUOTE]

I dont think it was a bad analysis if you truly understood what i was saying. And to say Africa isnt the only place with an image problem is an understatement of the real issue. And to compare Africas plight to Cleveland is just ignorant. Let's be honest, no other place in the world gets as bad a rep as this contitnent. And even though war is shown in the media in the middle east those are for the most part religious wars. You ant compare that to racial exploitation. I dont even think i should get into that on this site, because its really not the place.But some of the things im reading is quite disurbing.
Old April 14th, 2006, 06:11 PM   #52
3tmk
Rusty Robot

Oh come on!
Cleveland was just used because it had one of the worst reputation in the US, I'm not saying that Cleveland is as bad as Bamako.
Your analysis is bad because you use the pyramids as the achievement of an 'african' civilization. Where did you get that? It's egypt's feat, saying that the whole of Africa rose up to build the pyramids like you mentioned is just bullshit. That's why I say that you're comparison is just plain dumb. Actually, it sounds even racist when you call it the feat of Africa, just like those white supremacists would call something built by Europe to be a masterpiece only achievable by them, when you've had massive pyramids built the world over, even in Central America.
Old April 15th, 2006, 02:19 AM   #53
Nick in Atlanta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amd1588
I didnt say that to say that they were office buildings or anything like that. But the point i was tyig to make is that the are still manmade skyscrapers and very advanced for there time. My point is that it show how addvanced a african civlizaton was at the time compared to what they have been unable to accomplish in modern times. I mean even today no one could recreate the pyrimids and even if they did ( which they have been) i highly doubt that theyll be standing in the in the next 23 centuries. BUt the African ones will be!
I agree. I won't take anything away from the genius that built the pyramids of Egypt. Scientists still don't know how they were able to lift pieces of the pyramids to such great heights. They are truly fantastic. My only point is that they aren't skyscrapers. No more no less.
Old April 15th, 2006, 07:16 PM   #54
Amd1588

[
Quote:
It's egypt's feat, saying that the whole of Africa rose up to build the pyramids like you mentioned is just bullshit.
Did i say the whole Africa rose up to build the pyrimids? No
But if im not correct, isnt Egypt in Africa? Correct
So that would make Egyptians? Africans!

Quote:
Actually, it sounds even racist when you call it the feat of Africa, just like those white supremacists would call something built by Europe to be a masterpiece only achievable by them, when you've had massive pyramids built the world over, even in Central America.
I never said pyrimids could only be created by African, thats ur own personal interpetation. And no it is not racist because i never said anything about anyones race, so dont try to compare me to any other European racism or whatever. Also i would hardly call the pyrimids in Central America, Pyrimids on the same level as the ones in Africa(notice i said AFRICA, and not Egypt because there are pyrimids in Africa outside of egypt!). But for you to interpet what i said as racism, you must have your own infeirioity complex.
Old April 15th, 2006, 07:20 PM   #55
3tmk
Rusty Robot

yeah right, instead you chose to call it Africa's feat when it has nothing to do with Africa, in the same way that the coliseum isn't Europe's feat.
So please, you made a bad analysis, no need to bullshit anymore.
Old April 15th, 2006, 07:26 PM   #56
source26
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

all talk and no render makes this a dull thread
source26 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2006, 07:39 PM   #57
Amd1588

Quote:
yeah right, instead you chose to call it Africa's feat when it has nothing to do with Africa, in the same way that the coliseum isn't Europe's feat.
Once again you prove my point, get over it, they were build by Africans. And besides its Ancient History already.
Old April 15th, 2006, 09:40 PM   #58
TroyBoy

Likes (Received): 15

Lock this thread and start a new one when the render comes out.