daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Manchester Metro Area

Manchester Metro Area For Manchester, Salford and the surrounding area.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 30th, 2008, 07:05 PM   #41
Caiman
I love those crazy dutch

Likes (Received): 289

^Heh, nice image. I've never seen that place before, love the curved building around the back of it too.

Sponsored Links

Old January 30th, 2008, 08:39 PM   #42
flange

Likes (Received): 710

I also go to uni at bolton and one of the main things at Bolton is the creation of a single campus for University of Bolton instead of the two campuses that there are now, from Summer 2008 there will be a single campus in the town centre holding all the departments.

http://www.bolton.ac.uk/
flange no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2008, 08:50 PM   #43
flange

Quote:
Bolton Town Centre

350,000 sq ft of retail, leisure and residential to transform Bolton

Retail is the primary focus of this new 350,000 sq ft mixed-use development situated in the heart of Bolton’s expanding town centre.

New retail accommodation, restaurants and leisure units will form to create this landmark development. A 115,000 sq ft food store provides the anchor with units also available between 200 sq ft and 50,000 sq ft. An 850 space underground car park will also benefit retailers and visitors alike.

PLANNING APPLICATION APPROVED

115,000 sq ft anchor foodstore
850 space underground car park
Units to let from 200 sq ft to 50,000 sq ft
Units suitable for retail and restaurant uses

http://www.wbdevelopments.co.uk/boltontowncentre.html
Old January 30th, 2008, 08:56 PM   #44
b4mmy
★★★

Likes (Received): 245

nice one flange!
b4mmy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2008, 09:07 PM   #45
flange

Quote:
National and local retailers sign up to Bolton's market place

A mix of well known fashion retailers and local independent traders have signed up to take space once the Market Hall has been renovated.

Tushingham Moore and CBRE, joint letting agents for the scheme, have secured lettings to retailers including Zara, H&M, Principles and Warehouse. These national occupiers will trade alongside local businesses such as Westwells Florist, Cappuccinos Restaurant, C&J Carter Jewellers and Varanni (shoes and bags), in the 8,957 sq m (96,416 sq ft) of newly created retail space.

Zara and H&M have taken large units either side of the Corporation Street entrance. Other new names already signed up include Lush, Office, Joy, Starbucks and Carphone Warehouse. All of the new retailers to sign up are new to Bolton town centre except for Carphone Warehouse, which is taking a second store in the town. They will join retailers already trading successfully at Market Place Shopping Centre including Debenhams, Next, River Island, Topshop/Topman and JD Sports.

Kevin Leaver, senior development manager at Warner Estate, which asset manages Market Place Shopping Centre for the Agora Shopping Centres Fund, comments: “We are delighted to have attracted such a high calibre of retailers to Bolton. The fact that so many big names are keen to come into Market Place Shopping Centre is great news for the town.

“Our works are now well underway and we are on schedule to hand over to retailers to open for trade in time for Christmas 2008.”

Tim Letts, partner at Tushingham Moore adds: “The renovation and expansion of Market Place Shopping Centre has raised the benchmark in terms of the retail offering in this area of Greater Manchester. With major retailers including, Next, River Island, Topshop/Topman already at the Centre, the remaining space will undoubtedly appeal to fashion retailers.”
http://www.theretailbulletin.com/new...lace_14-01-08/

http://www.boltonmarketplace.com/
Old January 30th, 2008, 09:33 PM   #46
The Longford
Benefit Scrounger

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysimo123 View Post
I go Uni in Bolton. There isn't much.
Are you ******* joking?

There is loads of new development going on.
Not all of it good but things are definitely happening - especially at the Uni. You should spend less time in the Union!
Old January 30th, 2008, 10:58 PM   #47
Cosmo Disney
The Pitchfork Cavalier

Likes (Received): 0

The development Flange has posted is Central Street which recently got an anchor tenant signed up.

The Uni development Flange also mentions is linked with a redevelopment of the Community College and 6th Form College. All are going to be based in a site just behind Le Mans Crescent (the curved building B4mmy posted) where the ground level car parks are. The plans look very impressive.

Additionally, there is the £200m Church Wharf mixed use development, which Ask and Bluemantle are jointly redeveloping.

http://www.thebestof.co.uk/bolton/news/40738

The fantastic old market hall is being redeveloped to be turned into a standard shopping mall (again, Flange has posted details).

The old Odeon has been knocked down (booooo) and is being replaced with a 4 star hotel.

There are a number of other smaller schemes in and around the town centre, some based around the proposed relocation of the bus station to facilitate the creation of a proper transport interchange.

All in all, there is a massive, massive amount going on in Bolton either u/c or with consent and in the pipeline. I just hope the market downturn doesn't come at the wrong time.
Cosmo Disney no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2008, 11:27 PM   #48
The Longford
Benefit Scrounger

Likes (Received): 7

Shame about the Odeon.
Last i heard an Asian business man had bought it and wanted to hold conferences, weddings, banquets etc. Next thing you know its a pile of bricks.
When built it was the biggest cinema outside London (Blackpool quickly nabbed the title).
Old January 30th, 2008, 11:35 PM   #49
man med
DJ MedZ

Likes (Received): 108

Church wharf

http://www.askdevelopments.com/projects/details/10620

This 13 acre site at Church Wharf in Bolton will be developed for Bolton Council by Ask and its joint venture partners Bluemantle.It will be a £196m dynamic, high quality mixed-use scheme, combining stylish architecture and stunning open spaces. There are also buildings of local heritage in the area, which will be retained and blended in with the redevelopment.

The scheme will include; a new business quarter comprising more than 340,000 sq ft of new office space across 10 buildings; 586 residential units combining town houses and 100 high quality Abito apartments; a leisure quarter featuring a six screen cinema and up to 10 café, bar and restaurant units; a new 80-bed hotel; more than 7,000 sq ft of retail accommodation and a series of high-quality pedestrian routes and public spaces.

Other key elements include the creation of a new multi-storey car park for residents and workers at the offices, and replacement of a multi-storey car park for shoppers and visitors.

There will be extensive landscaping and an eye-catching footbridge spanning the River Croal and leading to Churchgate and into the town centre

https://soundcloud.com/deejay-medz
man med no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2008, 12:57 AM   #50
andysimo123
wind-up merchant

Likes (Received): 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Longford View Post
Are you ******* joking?

There is loads of new development going on.
Not all of it good but things are definitely happening - especially at the Uni. You should spend less time in the Union!
I haven't heard of much going down, there's afew houses or apartments going up, next to the railway line, about 500 yards from the station and a building(I think an old cinema) has been knocked down, nothing has come of that yet empty site. The only other thing I know of is that the Union is moving in the Summer to the other side of the Uni.
andysimo123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2008, 12:58 AM   #51
andysimo123
wind-up merchant

Quote:
Originally Posted by flange View Post
I also go to uni at bolton and one of the main things at Bolton is the creation of a single campus for University of Bolton instead of the two campuses that there are now, from Summer 2008 there will be a single campus in the town centre holding all the departments.

http://www.bolton.ac.uk/
What course you doing?
Old January 31st, 2008, 06:38 AM   #52
Cosmo Disney
The Pitchfork Cavalier

Quote:
Shame about the Odeon.
Last i heard an Asian business man had bought it and wanted to hold conferences, weddings, banquets etc. Next thing you know its a pile of bricks.
When built it was the biggest cinema outside London (Blackpool quickly nabbed the title).
Aye, it was a shame - saw my first film there (Return of the Jedi since you ask). It was a pretty cool building and should have been listed IMO.

I also forgot to mention the new Magistrates court on the site of the old (now demolished) Water Place, and the expansion of the Museum and Art Gallery as part of a Cultural Quarter based in the Le Mans Crescent building.

Bolton Council went to MIPIM this year, and by all accounts had a massive amount of interest in the development pipeline in and around the Town Centre. The council own a lot of the land so will have a considerable amount of sway as to whether things happen or not. They are basically mimicking the Leese/Bernstein approach to working with the private sector and (fingers crossed) it appears to be paying dividends.
Old January 31st, 2008, 06:39 AM   #53
Cosmo Disney
The Pitchfork Cavalier

Quote:
I haven't heard of much going down, there's afew houses or apartments going up, next to the railway line, about 500 yards from the station and a building(I think an old cinema) has been knocked down, nothing has come of that yet empty site. The only other thing I know of is that the Union is moving in the Summer to the other side of the Uni.
Read some of the links that have been posted.
Old January 31st, 2008, 12:06 PM   #54
mo0800
mo0800

Bolton Innovation Zone

Every town has its moment and this is Bolton’s. We’ve got a lot to shout about, we want to make Bolton an even better place to live, work, study, invest and visit. How are we going to do this? One way is through the creation and development of the Bolton Innovation Zone.

Where is the Bolton Innovation Zone?
The Zone stretches from Le Mans Crescent to the University of Bolton and across to Trinity Railway Station taking in the well-known destinations of the Museum, Library and Art Gallery, Law Courts, Jobcentre Plus, Octagon Theatre, Bolton Market, Mecca Bingo, Morrisons and the bus station.

Why is it important for Bolton?
We feel that despite the presence of such great facilities, this part of the town centre isn’t reaching its true potential. With new investment and effective planning, we can make this area a key gateway and create lots of jobs in the process.

Who does it involve?
Bolton Council is working with a range of partners including the University of Bolton, Bolton Community College and Sixth Form College, Greater Manchester Passenger Transport Executive, Heritage Lottery Fund, Learning and Skills Council, Northwest Regional Development Agency and the people of Bolton.

What does it involve?
Plans to move the bus station to a site nearer the train station will produce an efficient Transport Interchange and also release land at Moor Lane. Together with other existing sites, a significant development opportunity will be created.

How long will it take?
We’re at very early stages in the development process, so approximately 10 years. The Council is producing a Development Prospectus in October which will identify the development opportunities within the Zone. The Council will then select a preferred developer, or number of developers, by spring 2008 to take this work forward.

What does it mean to you and your family?
In short, it means that in the future you’ll benefit from better facilities, better services and more employment opportunities through the following…

1. Le Mans Square
The former Odeon Cinema is to be redeveloped into a mixed-use scheme that includes offices, shops, residential accommodation and hotel.
Anticipated completion date: summer 2009

2. Colleges Co-location
Bolton Community College and Bolton Sixth Form College will co-locate in a town centre site which will form a central education campus, and engineering and construction school. There will also be a new multi-storey car park on the site.
Anticipated completion date: September 2009

3. The University of Bolton
The UK’s fastest growing University will concentrate its operations onto its main town centre Deane Road Campus. The University of Bolton and Bolton Council are working together very closely on several of the initiatives within the Zone.
Consolidation onto Deane Road Campus: autumn 2008

4. Town Centre Swimming Pool
An 8-lane 25-metre swimming pool is proposed for location on the University’s Deane Road Campus. It will also feature a hydrotherapy pool, 12-station fitness suite, dance studio and the refurbishment of the University’s existing sports hall.
Anticipated completion date: end of 2009

5. Bolton Museum, Art Gallery and Aquarium
An enhancement of the Museum, Art Gallery and Aquarium has been proposed in partnership with the University of Bolton’s Centre for Materials Research and Innovation. This will provide a new focus for the interpretation of the Museum’s collections – particularly those relating to textiles – creating a unique visitor attraction.
Anticipated completion date: 2012

6. Magistrates’ Court
A brand-new Magistrates’ Court on Blackhorse Street will replace the existing out-of-date facility on Le Mans Crescent. The funding for this £50m project will be shared between Bolton Council and Salford Council.
Anticipated completion date: summer 2010

7. Bolton Market
The Market is a valuable element of the Zone and, as such, will soon benefit from some short-term improvements. These include maintenance, cosmetic work and promotional activity - look out for the branded Bolton Market taxi which will hit the streets soon! In the long-term, we will be looking to our new development partners to generate investment to provide better facilities for traders, customers and the people of Bolton.

Anticipated completion date:
short-term works - October 2007
long-term improvements - 2015

Two other exciting initiatives that have yet to find a home are…
Creative Arts Centre
It is proposed that this will be a place where Bolton’s diverse community can come together in a relaxed way to experience and learn from arts and culture, both as participants and audience. It will feature performance space, exhibition space, studios and workshops.
Anticipated completion date: 2012

Knowledge Centre
It is proposed that this purpose-built centre will deliver learning and resource facilities for a thriving student population and the wider community. This exciting new facility will provide a unique service for learners, young and old, academic and general public.
Anticipated completion date: 2015

http://www.bolton.gov.uk
mo0800 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2008, 12:14 PM   #55
b4mmy
★★★

Likes (Received): 245

great stadium as well... the big fella must be kicking himself these days...
b4mmy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2008, 01:18 PM   #56
andysimo123
wind-up merchant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo Disney View Post
Read some of the links that have been posted.

That's the first I've heard of any of them.
Old January 31st, 2008, 01:51 PM   #57
heatonparkincakes

Likes (Received): 339

Bulltun

Really decent people from Bolton town and Farnworth.

(But complete inbreds outside in places like Blackrod. Unbelievably narrow minded, racist and parochial in my experience.)

Its a town that seriously needs renovation. I have this unresearched idea that the recent urban renovation started with London, then has descended or ascended to the big cities Manchester, then Liverpool, Nottingham and hopefully last big towns like Bolton.

I guess eventually even Burnley might get some modern renovation within this century.

I remember as a kid, travelling from Denton to Bolton on the "TransLancs" bus just to see what Bolton looked like. (Yeah you only do that as a child in your summer hols. That and rafting on the river next to the sewage works.)

I went to work in Bolton 15 years later at the start of this decade and it looked like it hadnt seen a fresh lick of paint from my childhood. Just rundown and depressing. Even more so in comparison with "new " Manchester.

However that cake shop next to the railway station has the best cheese and onion pastry in Christiandom.
heatonparkincakes está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2008, 07:20 PM   #58
flange

Quote:
What course you doing?
I am doing Photography and Video am in my first year.
Old February 1st, 2008, 01:33 AM   #59
LaLov
Here today gone tomorrow

Quote:
Shame about the Odeon.
The old girl might but gone, but she ain't forgotten (apparently)...
LaLov no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2008, 10:32 PM   #60
Cosmo Disney
The Pitchfork Cavalier

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaLov View Post
The old girl might but gone, but she ain't forgotten (apparently)...
What a fantastic find. Beautiful film.