daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Canadian Parliament vs. U.S. Capitol
Canadian Parliament 266 56.60%
U.S. Capitol 204 43.40%
Voters: 470. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old April 25th, 2006, 09:40 PM   #101
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 12188

[QUOTE=gibbor]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taller, Better

Hey, I only expressed the way I feel when I compare the U.S. capitol and the Canadian parliament. If you think I'm narrow-minded, that's your good right but I think I'm not the only one in that case.

The Capitol is somewhat of a U.S. symbol just like the Houses of Parliament (in Neo Gothic style) is to Britain. I think these two would compare better. I Didn't mean to "advertize" at all. I'm sorry if I offend you man, that's not my intention...
No problem. It was not the fact you preferred the Capitol building, but perhaps you did not realise how disrespectful it was to say:"It can't beat the U.S. Capitol. The Capitol is far more recognizable and unique and I don't see why a large majority prefers the Canadian parliament over the Capitol. Looks like lots of political bias is involved in this poll".
When you said that it indicated that not only should no one have chosen
the Canadian buildings, but also that anyone who did was politically motivated.
Not cool.
There is a thread about the House of Parliament in London, and most
people were very appreciative and respectful in their comments! Check it
out.

Last edited by Taller, Better; April 25th, 2006 at 10:03 PM.
Taller, Better no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old April 27th, 2006, 09:38 PM   #102
marpa
BANNED

Likes (Received): 10

obviously Canadian Parliament
marpa no está en línea  
Old April 27th, 2006, 09:44 PM   #103
Boschdijk
Digue-le-Bois

Likes (Received): 46

I have only seen the Canadian Parliament in real life so I can't truly rate the U.S. Capitol. Based on the pictures I have seen I choose the Canadian Parliament. It looks much more 'friendly' then the U.S. Capitol.
Boschdijk no está en línea  
Old April 27th, 2006, 11:01 PM   #104
gibbor

Likes (Received): 1

i apologize...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbor
I generally like Neo Gothic architecture but I don't like the Canadian parliament building at all. It can't beat the U.S. Capitol. The Capitol is far more recognizable and unique and I don't see why a large majority prefers the Canadian parliament over the Capitol. Looks like lots of political bias is involved in this poll.

For a truly great Neo Gothic structure, check out the British Houses of Parliament folks.
Update: I just want to say to all Canadians and people who voted for the Canadian parliament that I didn't mean to offend you. I still prefer the U.S. Capitol but what I meant was that I believe the U.S. Capitol and the Canadian Parliament don't compare well. I was disrespectful in the way I expressed my feelings about these two buildings. I'm sorry if I offended anyone of you!
gibbor no está en línea  
Old April 29th, 2006, 08:11 AM   #105
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 12188

Hey Gibbor, no offense taken... you didn't intend any. Thanks for the nice words! I think most people would say either building could easily have won as they both have a different type of beauty, and both speak volumes about the nations they represent. Both Americans, and Canadians should be proud of the buildings their forefather's produced... they have served us both well!
Old June 12th, 2006, 02:03 AM   #106
Toronto06
New Yorker in TO

Likes (Received): 5

Canadian buildings.....i kinda like old buildings that have been restored
Old June 16th, 2006, 07:59 AM   #107
FallenSoldiers

Likes (Received): 0

I'm bias but i love my Canadian parliament buildings. But my favourite building in Canada is not the parliament buildings.. it is the supreme court. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS BUILDING! It has such a clean yet eery feeling to it.. amazing!

[IMG]http://www.ottawa**************/Photographs/Resources/flagdayparliamen.jpeg[/IMG]
FallenSoldiers no está en línea  
Old June 16th, 2006, 07:10 PM   #108
whitefordj
Toon Town bandit

Likes (Received): 11

the canadian is a skyscraper as well. its well over 300 ft tall. i think it is the top for all of the capital buildings. is any taller? it is quit imressive to see in person.

[S I Z E M A T T E R S ] and so there u have it.
whitefordj no está en línea  
Old June 17th, 2006, 07:19 PM   #109
Chi_Coruscant

Canadian Parliament is beautiful but my pick goes to the U.S. Capitol. It has nothing to do with bias; U.S. Capitol is the place where the powers-that-be move heaven and earth.
Chi_Coruscant no está en línea  
Old June 18th, 2006, 04:21 AM   #110
The Baz
Season Tix Avail

I've never seen this Canadian building before. It's looks quite nice. I'm going to vote for the Capitol just because I love the pillars, and lots of them.
The Baz no está en línea  
Old June 23rd, 2006, 10:12 AM   #111
Tom Ace
Style beat me to it.

Likes (Received): 2

I voted for the US capitol.

First people are voting for the Canadian Building for reasons like this...
Quote:
"The Library of parliament. (The only building that survived a horiffic fire)
Yea, Canada isn't the only country that has Libraries for their parliament. The US has one too. And for the record, fires aren't just found in Canada either. The US Capitol was set on fire by the British in the War of 1812 as well as the White House and other important buildings in Washington DC.

for the record here are some pictures of the US' "Library of Congress"

outside...

inside...

as for why I voted for the US Capital Building. Both are beautiful buildings and I love both styles of architecture. But the US Capitol just looks so much bigger, grander, ect. Like many on here have said, when I look at the US Capitol I think of how powerful and influential the United States is. When I look at the Canadian Parliament I think about old universities and cathedrals.

Also, I think the US building does a very good job at imitating the Greek / Roman architecture. The United States, when first formed, was trying to establish a nation with the ideals of Ancient Greece. Thats why Thomas Jefferson designed the Virginia State House to look like the Parthenon. Thats why many of the Important Buildings in the US are built in that style. For people who say both of these buildings are copys of other buildings, you do realize that there are what, maybe 100 differenct architechtural styles? so whats that mean there are 100 unique buildings in the world. Give me a break, the buildings are designed using a style of architecture that was prevalent at the time / place the buildings were built. There is no reason to dock points from buildings just for that, vote them for what they are...

BEAUTIFUL BUILDINGS! Like I said, they are both beautiful. But I think the US building looks ALOT more STATELY!
Tom Ace no está en línea  
Old June 23rd, 2006, 08:13 PM   #112
Jean Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by OOOOOhhhh BETTY
Canadian Parliament looks much nicer. Reminds me of Glasgow University.
Ironically, Canada's first Prime Minister, John A. Macdonald, was from Glasgow.
Jean Poutine no está en línea  
Old June 23rd, 2006, 08:37 PM   #113
Jean Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybean
I have been in both.

Capitol has an underground monorail for emergency escape.
Library of Parliament is gorgeous.
It's not just for emergencies. It's often used to get to meetings and votes quickly.

C-SPAN did a virtual tour of the Capitol, which covered this, and a lot more. It also covers areas that the general public doesn't have access to. For example, they go up to the top of the dome show the view from it. They also talk a lot about the history of the place. It's very interesting to watch, and I highly recommend it for people interested in the Capitol.
Jean Poutine no está en línea  
Old June 23rd, 2006, 10:52 PM   #114
Canadian Chocho

Likes (Received): 28

Uhmm ya i voted for the Parliament cause i've seen it in person and it looks quite nice!

1 2 3

Last edited by Canadian Chocho; June 25th, 2006 at 08:44 PM.
Canadian Chocho no está en línea  
Old June 24th, 2006, 05:21 AM   #115
algonquin

Likes (Received): 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Ace

"The Library of parliament. (The only building that survived a horiffic fire)"

Yea, Canada isn't the only country that has Libraries for their parliament. The US has one too. And for the record, fires aren't just found in Canada either. The US Capitol was set on fire by the British in the War of 1812 as well as the White House and other important buildings in Washington DC.
? ? ?
algonquin no está en línea  
Old June 25th, 2006, 07:13 PM   #116
Calvin W
Canadian eh!

Likes (Received): 359

No disrespcet intended. But Canadian all the way!!!! Way more interesting architecturally. As well it is unique to the world.
Calvin W no está en línea  
Old June 25th, 2006, 08:11 PM   #117
swerveut
quit wasting my time !!

Likes (Received): 357

Like some people said before, the Canadian parliament's architectural style reminds you more of churches, cathedrals and old university campuses rather than government institutions.

The US Capitol on the other hand uses classical architecture that reminds me of the democratric principles of Rome. And it looks very stately. You cant really think of anything else that might go on inside the Capitol other than governmental stuff.

So my vote: US Capitol.
swerveut no está en línea  
Old June 27th, 2006, 04:48 AM   #118
Penhorn
alps @ SSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Ace

for the record here are some pictures of the US' "Library of Congress"
I'm confused here, are you saying that some people voted for the Canadian Parliament simply because it caught on fire and it has a library? I think the person that mentioned that was just describing the different components of the complex, and included the fire-survival fact as an interesting piece of trivia.
Penhorn no está en línea  
Old June 27th, 2006, 05:59 AM   #119
Harkeb
BANNED

Likes (Received): 22

The Parly looks like an old castle- dated and conservative. The Capitol looks more impressive and fresher. Although both look like Vegas style-copies of european marvels.
Harkeb no está en línea  
Old June 29th, 2006, 05:07 PM   #120
WhitneyHouston

Capitol looks far more impressive in person and in pics.
<><><><>
<><><><><>
<><><><><><>
<><><><><><><>
<>
WhitneyHouston no está en línea  

Closed Thread