daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 11th, 2006, 02:16 PM   #41
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

In front of the SZR towers is not the highway but parallel service roads, complete with parking places, pavememnts and wide landcaped aereas.

Apart of the problem of crossing to the other side, I see absolutely no other problem with the layout.
AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 11th, 2006, 02:48 PM   #42
Chief
Izzle Bizzle

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Apart of the problem of crossing to the other side, I see absolutely no other problem with the layout.
But is the problem of being able to get to the other side not a pretty big one? It just seems so... anti-urban. I mean, the US in particular has spent decades learning how big highways cutting through dense urban areas can serve to cut a city in to two very different halves, acting as a barrier rather than as a bridge for travel and communication. That's one of the problems I have with Dubai.

And for the record, I'm a building services engineer who loves big tall shiny buildings and development and construction, so it's not that I'm anti-development or anything. I just think I see some mistakes being made in Dubai.
Old April 11th, 2006, 02:59 PM   #43
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Likes (Received): 125

They should really build a load of footbridges across that road though

The problem that I see is that the side nearer the beach will be neglected since DIFC, business bay and burj dubai will all be on the other side.
malec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2006, 03:49 PM   #44
Marco Polo

Foot bridges are not a good solution. While they carry people across, they still underline the fact that car is king. Besides, foot bridges are a visual obstruction. In cities, it is pedestrians who should take precedence. This is how civilised cities differ from those that are less friendly. Just imagine Broadway in New York as a highway with no crossings, and terrible constant noise from zooming cars at 100 km/h.... Think about it for a second.

For SZR, the solution would be to direct heavy traffic to a parallel road behind garage boxes, and make the existing SZR a real grand avenue, with slower traffic, and traffic lights every 5 blocks or so. Something grand, something to admire. To admire those beautiful glistening towers from cars, and to admire great cruising cars from the pavement.
But this is not gonna hapen. The mental set up is for other priorities.
Marco Polo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2006, 04:32 PM   #45
AltinD
The Modecator

The highway was build first, and then the towers.

Think of the highway as a river. I already explained that the building rows have a road in front of them with pavements, parking and landscaped aerea. Those are two different clusters of buildings and I don't get it why they must be together in a single claustrophobic block, when they have all that space in between them which is also beautyfully landscaped and pleased to the eye.

And you can't make the expert without knowing the city or the aerea in question. SZR DO NOT cut the entire city in half. Those towers build there are not for the masses, and you don't really have to go to the other towers on the other side, unless you're a tourist taking pictures.

My point is that it might be unforunate, but is not a TRAGEDY as you are portraying it to be.
Old April 11th, 2006, 06:43 PM   #46
Chief
Izzle Bizzle

Likes (Received): 13

AltinD, get over yourself. For the second time, nobody here is claiming to be an expert. We're just trying to have a mature discussion.

Last edited by Chief; April 11th, 2006 at 07:11 PM.
Chief no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2006, 07:09 PM   #47
TORONTOCOPENHAGEN

Likes (Received): 6

Nice shot, but the skyline is two dimensional.

Peter K
Albania Austria Belgium Bosnia Botswana Cambodia Canada China Costa Rica the Czech Republic Croatia Denmark France Germany Ghana Greece India Iraq Italy Japan Kashmir Kosova Laos Liberia Macedonia Malaysia Mexico Montenegro Morocco Mozambique the Netherlands Norway Pakistan Portugal Singapore South Africa South Korea Spain Sri Lanka Sweden Switzerland Syria Thailand Tunesia Turkey the United Kingdom the United States of America Uzbekistan Vietnam Yemen Zambia Zimbabwe
TORONTOCOPENHAGEN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2006, 07:21 PM   #48
AltinD
The Modecator

It was meant to be like that, however that will change very soon with the Burj Dubai Downtown, Business Bay, Dubai International Financial Center and Dubai World Trade & Exibition Center being build behind the row of towers on the Emirates Towers side of the road.
Old April 11th, 2006, 07:33 PM   #49
Dubai-Lover
Construction Paradise

Likes (Received): 5

terrific collection

man, i can figure very well what the whole new skyline will look like

freaking amazing
Old April 11th, 2006, 08:07 PM   #50
smussuw
Patriotic Emirati

Likes (Received): 533

signed
smussuw no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2006, 08:59 PM   #51
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Polo
For SZR, the solution would be to direct heavy traffic to a parallel road behind garage boxes, and make the existing SZR a real grand avenue, with slower traffic, and traffic lights every 5 blocks or so. Something grand, something to admire. To admire those beautiful glistening towers from cars, and to admire great cruising cars from the pavement.
But this is not gonna hapen. The mental set up is for other priorities.
That would be pretty cool actually. I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility either for something like this to happen in the future, in about 20 years or more, after all these developments are built. Any parallel roads would have to be miles away though. I still think some footbridges would be useful though. In a few years time if I wanted to stay in a hotel on SZR I would make sure it's on the right side so that I don't have to cross everytime I want to do something
Old April 11th, 2006, 09:41 PM   #52
Jue
Perception

Likes (Received): 1

Are there any underpasses under SZR? If so, how frequently?

I think Dubai, as a car-oriented city, has a lot to learn from Texas highway design. Texans live and die by highways, but we never have problems "crossing over." Here is a typical Texan intersection, courtesy to MS Paint:

Have one of these every kilometre, and the problem is solved.
Jue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2006, 11:45 PM   #53
Effer
E Pluribus Unum

Likes (Received): 226

So many buildings are under construction in Dubai?
Effer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2006, 01:55 AM   #54
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

A proposal that could very well be one of the unknowns on SZR:

(originally posted by spyguy)

Old April 12th, 2006, 08:31 AM   #55
Jue
Perception

Likes (Received): 1

I have an idea:

SZR's buildings should be connected underground. Seeing how Dubai has inhospitable summer weather, and how pedestrian-friendly these lobbies seem to be...
Jue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2006, 09:49 AM   #56
scorpion
...starwood... :-D

Likes (Received): 4

i like it. instead of burying the SZR with cars, build an entire underground park-civic space for people football fields long and wide...

covered with some type of shading glass as skylight~~

DUBAI 2006 -- Welcome!! :)
scorpion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2006, 12:04 PM   #57
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Aren't there already some underground passes? If there are already they should build more
Old April 12th, 2006, 03:03 PM   #58
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Don't know if this should be included since it's part of business bay (well, the executive towers are also included so might aswell).

One Business Bay started construction today:
Here's the render:

And a pic from the ground breaking ceremony:

You can see where it'll be located in this pic. The executive towers are part A and 1 business bay is the top tower in the C section:

Old April 12th, 2006, 06:57 PM   #59
Marco Polo

AltinD, I know the highway was there first - I drove along it back in 1997!!! Very few builtings and not as tall were there.

Ah, well, it's ok to disagree. We just have different opinions on urban issues (BTW, I have a degree in Urban Planning form the University of Toronto, although I do not consider myself an expert as I work in finanice.)
Marco Polo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2006, 07:05 PM   #60
Citystyle
Watch my Chops

Likes (Received): 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Polo
AltinD, I know the highway was there first - I drove along it back in 1997!!! Very few builtings and not as tall were there.

Ah, well, it's ok to disagree. We just have different opinions on urban issues (BTW, I have a degree in Urban Planning form the University of Toronto, although I do not consider myself an expert as I work in finanice.)
I think most people agree with you, but i think this area is not ment to be a down town cultural area thats pedestrian freindly other areas will be more so than this.
Sec. 31 But how far has he given it us? To enjoy. As much as anyone can make use of to any advantage of life before it spoils, whatever is beyond this, is more than his share, and belongs to others. Nothing was made by God for man to spoil or destroy. And thus considering the plenty of natural provisions there was a long time in the world, and the few spenders, and to how small a part provision the industry of one man could extend itself, and ingross itself to the prejudice of others.
- John Locke
Citystyle no está en línea   Reply With Quote