daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Liverpool Metro Area

Liverpool Metro Area 'Scouse Scrapers for both sides of the Mersey

Old May 21st, 2006, 11:25 AM   #81
Prestonian

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Longford
Not Liverpool but the best building of the period in the region now under the safe hands of Urban Splash with a new website.
Ive already booked my room!

http://www.midlandhotelmorecambe.co....landhotel.html
Agreed, I did a thread about it in City Talk last week in fact. Fabulous building
Prestonian no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old May 21st, 2006, 04:11 PM   #82
Tony Sebo
BANNED

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunnyman
Rocket or Rice Lane flyover Sebo?
Oops... Sorry!
I put the description on another thread too and confused Pie!

I meant the Rocket one... about 50yards, over on the right as you are heading north towards the flyover. Pie said there was one by the rice lane flyover too though... any details on this one, as I can't picture it.

The Midland Hotel is a fabulous building... book a twin room long and I'll come along with you!
Tony Sebo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2006, 04:17 PM   #83
Scarecrow
Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Likes (Received): 871

Heading north towards Rice Lane all the interesting stuff is on the left, bar Walton Hospital. There is a new apartment development, probably housing association stuff on the right that looks quite interesting, with steel frames bracing the outside, containing balconies.

I can't think of any by the Rocket, although there's something on the left, a school that looks like its being refurbished in a futuristic manner.

I think its Broadgreen Comp.
Old May 21st, 2006, 06:26 PM   #84
Tony Sebo
BANNED

There is some good stuff... also some terrible stuff though. There are new developments on QD just north of of fiveways that is the usual suburban shite we thought we had seen the last of!
Old May 21st, 2006, 06:31 PM   #85
Tony Sebo
BANNED

Reminds me. There is this great 30s' house in Prescot that used to look like it came straight out of Hollywood. Painted white, it had a fantastic, highly glazed aqua marine tiled roof. I went down the road purposely to take a look about two years ago and the fuckers had replaced it with a terrible cheap red tile council type thing!

Also in Prescot, there used to be this brilliant art deco villa half way up the hill, opposite the police station. Painted in tones of yellow, I used to fanasize about running some sort of classic car repair shop from it (yes, I have always been nuts!). It was demolished to make way for these little pensioners complexes you see around the city... very poor!

My dreams of being the Fonz died with the building!
Old May 21st, 2006, 08:44 PM   #86
The Longford
Benefit Scrounger

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Sebo
The Midland Hotel is a fabulous building... book a twin room long and I'll come along with you!
I think my missus will have something to say about that!

Re : Queens Drive - i'm in Liverpool tomorrow so i'll do a left (?) at the Rocket instead of going straight on (coming off the M62) and i'll look out for these 30's flats to which you are refering. Maybe get a snap and try and identify them for you.

I know the 30's house in Prescott you mean aswell - a real oddity - now completely ruined. Why do people buy interesting period houses and meddle with them? Why not buy a McMansion in the first place? I have to look away everytime i pass that house it annoys me so much!
Old May 21st, 2006, 10:09 PM   #87
Tony Sebo
BANNED

Aye, it's a heffin crime!

thanks in advance for the left turn... it is a brick building.... rather strange.
Old May 22nd, 2006, 11:36 PM   #88
The Longford
Benefit Scrounger

Likes (Received): 7

Is this it Tony?
Apparently (and this hasnt been verified) it was part of a TA depot that filled the site - where the new flats are as well.
It would make sense because not only were most TA depots built in this style and in this period but the building does look a bit odd doesnt it? Not swanky flats at all are they? Plastic windows aswell! Eurghhhhh!

Also whilst i'm on - difficult to choose my favourite ex cinema in Liverpool there are so many but i passed this one today and its a good 'un for sure!
Old May 23rd, 2006, 12:33 AM   #89
John-MK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Also whilst i'm on - difficult to choose my favourite ex cinema in Liverpool there are so many but i passed this one today and its a good 'un for sure!
This was big inside. It was highly opulent art-deco. You felt like you were in a Busby Barclay set, with big sweeping staircases.
John-MK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2006, 01:00 AM   #90
Tony Sebo
BANNED

That's the one, thanks Long. The memories come flooding back now. I used to go past that way every day (when I wasn't sagging off this is) for over a year... too many years ago. I forgot all about the TA Barracks. I only wizzed past it the other day on the bus so could note the plazzy windows etc. I may go and take a closer look this weekend.

Thanks again.
Old May 23rd, 2006, 08:40 AM   #91
Pietari
Just something

Likes (Received): 14

Lightbulb How memories are made .....

Quote:

Bless,

The Abbey cinema.

My sister took me to see `Tom Thumb` there...... it was the home of Liverpools widest cinema screen (three cinema screens joined.)

She also saw Dr Zchivargo there, (hee hee, not sure about the spelling.....)
http://www.wirralwaters.com/
1,000s of maitime companies employ 10s of 1,000s of staff with an annual turnover of £2.5bns+ / 15% of the Merseyside economy. The Super Port of Liverpool is expanding & with 150,000 ship movements a year, the River Mersey is the UK’s 3rd busiest estuary.
http://www.shipais.com/index.php
The Merseyrail network runs 700 services a day, the most intense of any in the UK apart from London Underground.
http://visitliverpool.com/

Last edited by Pietari; May 23rd, 2006 at 08:45 AM.
Pietari no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2006, 10:11 PM   #92
liverpolitan

This is the other side of the same tablet (sorry about the flare on it from using a flash, not very good at close-up pics).

Last edited by liverpolitan; May 26th, 2006 at 10:32 PM.
liverpolitan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2006, 04:47 PM   #93
scouserdave
BANNED

Location: Liverpool 6, Halewood, Cantril Farm, Luton ferfuxake!

This story is fucking strange but true.

I had to do a bit of business in Old Swan on Tuesday and parked up in one of the side streets. As I was going back to my car, I noticed a building that looked like an old cinema on Prescot Rd. Decided to take a pic. Just before I took one, I asked the first person I saw if they could confirm whether it was a cinema or not.

[This is when it gets fucking weird! ]

The gentleman confirmed that it was. It used to be the Curzon Cinema, Old Swan. It turned out that this chap was the manager of the Abbey Cinerama for 30 years before it closed down in 1979! Previous to that, he was also the manager of the Cabbage Hall Cinema which is now the LFC Supporters Club. Previous to that, he was the manager of the Stella cinema in Seaforth!

The gentlemen's name is Ambler Ramsden. The "Ambler" was his mother's maiden name. He's 85 years old and appears as fit as a fiddle. However, he told me I caught him on one of his good days, healthwise. He'd just returned from the Royal after having a fitting for a hearing aid and had recently recovered from a mild stroke. He informed me that on his "bad" days, he can barely string a couple of words together. Top man

[IMG]http://www.**************************/curzon.jpg[/IMG]
scouserdave no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2006, 10:59 PM   #94
Liverpool8
southcentralLiverpool

Heard it all before. 8 years on...

New life for old cinema

Dec 13 2006
Deborah James
Liverpool Daily Post

A SEARCH was yesterday launched for a developer to restore one of Liverpool's most cherished art deco landmarks to its former glory. "Imaginative" bids are being invited to transform the former ABC cinema on Lime Street.

Regeneration agencies English Partnerships and Liverpool Vision say they are offering a "blank canvas" to find a new use for the Grade II listed picture-house.

Early indications from city planners are that it could be suitable for a wide variety of projects including a museum or education space, a concert or dance hall, a sporting venue, or a restaurant or bar.

It comes 18 months after a plan by Liverpool FC footballer Jamie Carragher and city businessman Paul Flanagan to turn the faded venue into a sports bar met resistance, when city leaders said they were considering it as a venue for 2008 Capital of Culture celebrations.

Last night the Liverpool Culture Company said it had decided in autumn 2005 not to take up the option, as the building was "not suitable". English Partnerships said the problem was that national lottery funding was never secured for a dance company which wanted to use the ABC in 2008.

It means the doors are now open for any developers to put forward a fresh proposal - including City Life Projects which signed Carragher up to the sports bar idea. But the contract will only go to a developer that can guarantee certain interior and exterior features will be preserved - in line with the building's Grade II listed status from English Heritage.

Any changes would be subject to listed buildings consent, and would have to be in keeping with the original building. English Partnerships signed a 150-year "peppercorn" lease on the ABC from Liverpool City Council, in August 2003.

The building, with its soaring curved Portland stone façade, finally closed its doors in 1998, with a showing of Casablanca. It is an integral part of the city centre's ambitious regeneration programme, and is within walking distance of its cultural quarter, including St George's Hall, Walker Art Gallery and City Library, theatres, hotels and the £920m retail-led Liverpool One redevelopment scheme.

Advertisements will appear in the trade press to invite expressions of interest.
Information on projects and programmes can be found at www.englishpartnerships.co.uk

One of finest 'Super' cinemas was awarded Grade II status

ORIGINALLY the Forum Cinema, then known as the ABC Cinema, it opened its doors on May 16, 1931. It was designed by William R Glenn and Alfred E Shennan and was one of the finest "Super" cinemas of the 1930s. Its massive six-storey curved Portland Stone façade remains a distinctive and highly prominent feature of Lime Street.

The building is listed Grade II and was included in the statutory list of buildings of special architectural or historic interest in March 1981. The cinema finally closed its doors on January 28, 1998. Listed features inside the building include the auditorium, which has splayed sides and a gallery with a concave front.

It features a square proscenium arch with large vertical flutes between geometric floral bands with decorative plasterwork.

---------------------

This part of Lime Street?

Fear the worst?
Liverpool8 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2006, 11:24 PM   #95
Awayo
Support the Squirrels

Likes (Received): 701

We can blame the public sector for this one. They kept hold of and wouldn't sell it whilst there were buyers sniffing around.

Now its finally on sale - and advertised in a full page ad in Estates Gazette - things could happen. Let's hope they've done in enough time to avoid the end of the property boom.
Awayo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2006, 11:33 AM   #96
T0M
Scousish

Good news at last! It's been an ongoing public disgrace that this building has been left to rot in this poor state for so long. Every time I was past it I smirk at the irony of the that huge banner saying 'Liverpool Capital of Culture' wraped around a rotting building which should be a centre piece of the cities cultural celebration. Bring on the redevelopment, I'll even settle for a 'sports bar' (although technically I'm sure it's just going to be another drinking bar).
T0M no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2006, 06:16 PM   #97
Louis1986

they need to sort out the futurist too, that entire block is a disgrace
Louis1986 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2008, 05:33 PM   #98
Bachy Soletanche

Likes (Received): 1295

Have some pict of the Littlewoods building:-

Old July 24th, 2008, 10:06 PM   #99
woody
Liverpool + Urmston

Likes (Received): 329

Thumbs up Art Deco at the Pier Head..............

Does this look good.........no it looks bloody brilliant.....

Old July 25th, 2008, 01:00 PM   #100
Tony Sebo
BANNED

utterly out of context now though!