daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 21st, 2007, 09:16 PM   #81
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
Shame, Americans lean toward shoving train passengers right into traffic.....no vision, period.....and this in their capital showcase.
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 23rd, 2007, 07:31 PM   #82
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18211

Metro to give out free hand sanitizer
22 October 2007

WASHINGTON (AP) - Metro wants to help keep its commuters health this flu season by giving away free hand sanitizer at some of its stations.

The agency has partnered with health departments in Fairfax, Montgomery, Arlington and Prince George's counties along with D.C. to give out information with the hand sanitizers.

The giveaways will go to the first 2,000 customers at stations with information booths.

Today, they're at the Federal Triangle and Fort Totten Metrorail stations.

Tomorrow, riders at the Branch Avenue and Silver Spring stations can get them.

And on Wednesday, the sanitizers will be given out at the Vienna/Fairfax-GMU and Rosslyn Metrorail stations.

Metro reminds everyone that good personal hygiene can help keep you healthy, including habits like frequent handwashing and avoiding contact with sick people.

Information from: WTOP-FM

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2007, 11:08 PM   #83
Songoten2554

Likes (Received): 87

i think with the Silver line i think they should extend it to dulles airport i think the metro silver line would serve better there

for the BWI though they have it on the Acela and Amtrak route there is already a train station there and also for the light rail as well

for the green line and for the yellow line they should extend it further the green line should go to a different area and the yellow line to Fort Tutton and beyond

also the Silver line should go to Dulles Airport i think thats what is the most needed so far and dulles is an international airport and that hat its needed alot
Songoten2554 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2007, 01:59 PM   #84
Trainman Dave
systems rule!

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Songoten2554 View Post
i think with the Silver line i think they should extend it to dulles airport i think the metro silver line would serve better there
Phase II is already planned to extend to Dulles and has been for 20 years. However it may take another 20 years to reach the airport.

Incidently the tunnels for the Metro at Dulles already exist. they were built about 10 years ago during the terminal expansion.
Old October 28th, 2007, 11:59 AM   #85
geoking66

Likes (Received): 7324

DC's layout is perfect for a London-type Crossrail scheme. This way suburbs farther than the current terminals can have even faster service into the city centre and not override the capacity of the Metro which is actually nearing capacity as we speak. Express tracks on the Metro will do no good and only complicate service (look at NYC and its express service). Crossrail links could extend to BWI, Centreville/Manassas, Waldorf, Woodbridge, and Germantown. Trains on these lines would operate every 5-15 minutes during rush hour and 20 minutes during off-peak periods. The MARC and VRE systems would then be further outreached with even fewer points within Crossrail and the Metro's range.
geoking66 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2007, 06:26 PM   #86
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Wheel maintenance, lack of guard rail faulted in Metro derailment
16 October 2007

WASHINGTON (AP) - Poor wheel maintenance and failure to solve problems found earlier with a fleet of rail cars most likely caused the Jan. 7 derailment of a Metro train that injured 23 people, federal investigators said Tuesday.

The National Transportation Safety Board also found the derailment could have been prevented if Metro had installed a guardrail to help guide the wheels at the sharp curve where one rail car went off the tracks.

The accident happened on a Sunday afternoon and involved a six-car train approaching the Mount Vernon Square station beneath the Washington Convention Center. The fifth car rode up and over the tracks, striking a tunnel wall and shattering glass. None of the injuries was serious, but it took more than an hour before all the riders were evacuated from the last two cars of the train. The accident caused $3.8 million in damage to the cars and tracks.

"I continue to be troubled by the fact that it took that long to evacuate everybody," said Kitty Higgins, an NTSB board member who went to the crash scene. "I think we can all be grateful that there were no serious injuries. ... But I think these accidents are wake-up calls for transit systems."

Higgins pressed the issue of the emergency response time, noting there had been similar problems with a Chicago Transit Authority derailment in July 2006. But investigators said Metro workers and rescue crews followed proper procedures for safely evacuating all passengers.

The investigators were more concerned with the rough surface they found on a wheel of the derailed train car and the car's unbalanced suspension system -- a problem they said stems from the inherently unbalanced nature of the 5,000-series rail cars manufactured by the Spanish company Construcciones y Auxiliar Ferrocarriles S.A. Those rail cars have accounted for more than half of the 15 derailments in the subway system since 2001, Metro officials said.

Metro's problems with quality control and a lack of decisive management in solving problems discovered in past accidents is "a recipe for the series of accidents we've seen," said NTSB Chairman Mark Rosenker. Board members noted incidents from recent years where track workers were struck and killed by trains and a 2004 collision between two trains that injured passengers.

Still, Rosenker said Metro is a safe system for commuters that he rides regularly.

"We're talking about a safe system that we're attempting to make safer," Rosenker said.

The NTSB issued six recommendations calling for Metro to establish standards and quality control procedures for wheel maintenance and roughness, a process to resolve disputes among departments over safety and mechanics, the designation of a single person responsible for enacting changes after accidents, closer coordination among departments for track lubrication and the installation of guardrails at all sharp turns in the tracks.

Board members have recommended similar improvements in the past, but Rosenker said they were confident the culture of the transit system was changing for the better.

"There's new management there that we believe will be significantly more receptive to what we have to say," Rosenker said.

Metro General Manager John Catoe took over at the transit system in January after the derailment.

"I want to assure our customers that Metrorail is one of the safest rail systems in the country," Catoe said in a statement responding to the report. "But that's not good enough. We will become the safest rail system in the country."

The rail system continues to struggle with the unbalanced 5000-series rail cars, though NTSB investigators said they could not conclude whether that contributed to the derailment. The balance problem is so bad that Metro once considered hanging 800-pound iron weights under one end of the rail cars. Instead, Metro is using air valves to balance the cars.

Metro's chief mechanical officer, Dave Kubicek, said he also is having sensors installed to constantly monitor the suspension of the cars, as well as equipment to automatically lubricate the wheels while the cars are in use.

Manufacturer CAF USA is paying at least $1 million for the adjustments and new features for the 192-car fleet, Kubicek said.

"I don't see them needing to be brought out of service," he said, adding that the reliability of the 5,000-series cars was increasing.

CAF USA officials did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

Deputy General Manager Gerald Francis said Metro is installing guardrails at sharp curves at the rate of about 30 a year. The current schedule spans the next two years, but Francis said they would work faster on the upgrades if possible.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old November 11th, 2007, 07:42 PM   #87
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Metro board members wait to hear from riders on fare increase
10 November 2007

WASHINGTON (AP) - Metro board members say they are waiting to hear from riders next week about which aspect of the proposed fare increase will hurt the most.

Some board members say they will be able to soften the blow if they hear from enough people.

The biggest increases would affect rush-hour subway riders, who make up the largest portion of daily users. Rush-hour fares would go up 30 to 80 cents, and parking fees at Metro lots would go up by $1.15.

The board adopted the proposal two weeks ago after much public debate, but the new fares can't take effect until public hearings are held.

Board members say fares will definitely go up. But they also say the proposal will probably changed based on the feedback from riders.

Old December 11th, 2007, 03:52 AM   #88
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Metro adds 20 new cars to rush-hour fleet
9 December 2007

WASHINGTON (AP) - Some good news for Metro riders. Starting tomorrow morning, there will be 20 additional rail cars on red, orange and green lines. That means that 20 percent of the system's trains during the morning and evening rush hours will be eight cars long.

Metro says it is turning three of its six-car trains on the red line into eight car trains. Two six-car trains on the orange line and two on the green line will also expand.

The remaining six cars will be used as a "gap" train that will be on standby in case another train has to be removed from passenger service.

The longer trains are possible because of the new, 6,000-series rail cars Metro has been receiving. The cars made their debut last fall and the agency now has 128 of them. Once delivery is complete, Metro will have 184 of them.

Old December 12th, 2007, 03:20 PM   #89
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Metro reverses unpopular decision to cut off-hour rail cars
12 December 2007

WASHINGTON (AP) - Metro has reversed its recent unpopular decision to cut rail cars on off-hours and weekends. The agency restored six-car trains instead of four-car ones yesterday after much protest from its customers.

The service cuts that started last weekend meant that four-car trains would run during weekends and off-peak midday hours. Metro will now go back to six-car trains on weekends and mostly six- and eight-car trains during midday off-peak.

Metro General Manager John Catoe Junior says the change obviously upset customers. He says he saw it for himself when he rode the blue line this weekend and saw crowds at downtown stations.

Old December 14th, 2007, 09:24 AM   #90
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Metro seeks to broaden appeal of SmarTrip cards
8 December 2007

WASHINGTON (AP) - Metro wants to make its SmarTrip cards even smarter in the coming year.

The cards are currently used to pay for a single bus or subway trip or parking at a Metro lot. But Metro is improving technology to allow the cards to compute all fares and special passes, such as Metrorail's 7-Day Fast Pass, Montgomery County's Ride-About and Alexandria's DASH Pass.

Riders will also be able to link their SmarTrip cards to credit cards, the same way fares are paid on E-ZPass electronic toll accounts.

Officials hope to have the new technology in place by the end of next year.

Metro is also working to make the cards more widely available. They're already sold at some Giant stores, but Metro is hoping that convenience stores and other neighborhood retailers will sell the cards and have devices to let customers add money to them.

Old December 15th, 2007, 06:09 AM   #91
jam5

Likes (Received): 535

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
Metro seeks to broaden appeal of SmarTrip cards
8 December 2007

WASHINGTON (AP) - Metro wants to make its SmarTrip cards even smarter in the coming year.

The cards are currently used to pay for a single bus or subway trip or parking at a Metro lot. But Metro is improving technology to allow the cards to compute all fares and special passes, such as Metrorail's 7-Day Fast Pass, Montgomery County's Ride-About and Alexandria's DASH Pass.

Riders will also be able to link their SmarTrip cards to credit cards, the same way fares are paid on E-ZPass electronic toll accounts.

Officials hope to have the new technology in place by the end of next year.

Metro is also working to make the cards more widely available. They're already sold at some Giant stores, but Metro is hoping that convenience stores and other neighborhood retailers will sell the cards and have devices to let customers add money to them.
I have a SmarTrip card right now that I use daily to get to and from work. What do I have to do -get another one once this new card is widely available? Or can I get the one I am using now updated somehow?
jam5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2007, 04:31 AM   #92
TexasBoi
Texas-NoVA

Likes (Received): 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by jam5 View Post
I have a SmarTrip card right now that I use daily to get to and from work. What do I have to do -get another one once this new card is widely available? Or can I get the one I am using now updated somehow?
You can probably buy it at the stations they are available at or go to a transit office like the one similar to the one across from King Street station in Alexandria. I have one as well and use it to go to work but I try to use it less and less.

The New fair hike will be a burden on me though. Ridiculous is another word for it.
TexasBoi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2007, 05:45 AM   #93
Songoten2554

Likes (Received): 87

is there any word for the expansion of the metrorail to Washington international Airport???
Songoten2554 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2007, 12:58 PM   #94
Trainman Dave
systems rule!

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Songoten2554 View Post
is there any word for the expansion of the metrorail to Washington international Airport???
Which airport Reagan, Dulles or BWI???

Reagan already served.
Dullles is planned with the funding being finalized
BWI is served by Amtrak
Old December 21st, 2007, 03:48 PM   #95
iampuking

Likes (Received): 43

I know this is off topic... But are the Washington Metro single vault designs deep level or shallow (cut and cover design)?
iampuking no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2007, 04:11 PM   #96
lasdun

Likes (Received): 7

Haha, wonder what you're thinking about - mixture of both if I recall correctly, some of the deepest are in twin tubes though as a cost saving measure - but none of the down town stations.
lasdun no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2007, 05:53 PM   #97
iampuking

Likes (Received): 43

I was wondering after I posted a picture on the Crossrail thread saying it was deep level...

image hosted on flickr

Is this one deep level?
iampuking no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2007, 11:47 PM   #98
lasdun

Likes (Received): 7

hmm, well I think that's capitol south (hard to tell, the largely look the same in downtown) and those were cut and covered. Most of the truely deep stations on the red line were cut through rock, they have a slightly different more circular design.

Lots of info on DC here http://chnm.gmu.edu/metro/index.html
lasdun no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2007, 08:13 PM   #99
geoking66

Likes (Received): 7324

Usually the waffle ones are cut-and-cover. There are some deep-bore ones, but the picture there suggests that it's on the Orange Line west of Metro Centre (there are no pylons, that's the biggest hint) and it would probably be cut-and-cover, however I'm not sure about Foggy Bottom-GWU.
geoking66 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2007, 09:16 PM   #100
jam5

Likes (Received): 535

Interesting that in 1970, there were already plans to extend Metrorail along Route 1:

jam5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
dc metro, washington metro