daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 25th, 2007, 03:28 PM   #101
IU
->

I rode on the Washington Metro the other day. Took the red line from Faragut North to Gallery pl-Chinatown and was thoroughly impressed by the noiseless, sleek system. For some reason, one of the two entrances to the Faragut North stations was closed and then I had to find the other entrance which I realized was just across the street and not a block away. The station looked deserted as it was a saturday. The ticket purchasing machine was confusing as it had a lot of things going on on it. I figured out what to do and had to pay $1.35 for the trip unlike a $2 flat fare, which I would have paid on the NY subway for a one way ride. The station platform's exterior walls had a brutal design though I liked it with all the subtle lighting. The train wooshed in after 5-6 mins and I boarded the train. Took ~2 mins to reach Gallery pl-Chinatown and train ride was really nice, noiseless and fast. All in all, I am thoroughly impressed by the system.
IU no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 25th, 2007, 08:31 PM   #102
IU
->

Some pics and a video from my trip -

Smithsonian Station - at the back you can see the Washington monument

Shot at the Gallery pl-Chinatown station. Was using my crappy Nikon camera so please bare with the quality

Woodley Park-Zoo/Adams Morgan Station

Took this quick shot while driving through the city:

geometarkv liked this post
IU no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2007, 08:42 PM   #103
jam5

Likes (Received): 535

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndiansUnite View Post
Some pics and a video from my trip -

Smithsonian Station - at the back you can see the Washington monument
I am somewhat surprised they haven't put up canopies for all open-air station entrances like this one yet.
jam5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2007, 09:08 PM   #104
iampuking

Likes (Received): 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoking66 View Post
Usually the waffle ones are cut-and-cover. There are some deep-bore ones, but the picture there suggests that it's on the Orange Line west of Metro Centre (there are no pylons, that's the biggest hint) and it would probably be cut-and-cover, however I'm not sure about Foggy Bottom-GWU.
Thanks for your replies, all i'm wondering, and it's to win an argument, is if there are any deep level single vault stations in Washington.

Thanks a lot!
iampuking no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2007, 09:27 PM   #105
TexasBoi
Texas-NoVA

Likes (Received): 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoking66 View Post
Usually the waffle ones are cut-and-cover. There are some deep-bore ones, but the picture there suggests that it's on the Orange Line west of Metro Centre (there are no pylons, that's the biggest hint) and it would probably be cut-and-cover, however I'm not sure about Foggy Bottom-GWU.
That's not Metro Center because that station has one platform for both the Blue and Orange lines. Same with Foggy Bottom-GWU. That maybe Mcpherson or Farragut West if it is the Orange Line. I'm leaning more towards Farragut. BUT, if it is metro center, it could be the red line. Never took the red line at Metro Center before so I don't know.
TexasBoi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2007, 08:19 AM   #106
geoking66

Likes (Received): 7354

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasBoi View Post
That's not Metro Center because that station has one platform for both the Blue and Orange lines. Same with Foggy Bottom-GWU. That maybe Mcpherson or Farragut West if it is the Orange Line. I'm leaning more towards Farragut. BUT, if it is metro center, it could be the red line. Never took the red line at Metro Center before so I don't know.
I've figured out that it's Ballston-MU. You can tell by the plaque on the wall. It looks like there are either three or four stops after it until the end of the Orange Line and thus it must be Ballston-MU since Vienna-Fairfax, Dunn Loring-Merrifield, West Falls Church, and East Falls Church are above ground.
geoking66 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2008, 02:06 AM   #107
davidearl
BANNED

Likes (Received): 6

the only thing I miss about living in DC is the amazing subway system there.... although the last 7 years the system seemed to be falling apart and vastly overcrowded.... Chicago's CTR rail system is horribly outdated and in disrepair.... but it's over 100 years old too.... our only hope seems to be getting the 2016 Olympics which will hopefully bring much needed Federal help to improve the system
davidearl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2008, 06:07 AM   #108
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18220

Metro fares go up Sunday
5 January 2008

WASHINGTON (AP) - Riding Metro will cost you more starting tomorrow, though the biggest changes won't be noticeable until the work week begins.

Rush hour rail fares will increase by 30 to 60 cents, depending on the trip. The minimum fare will rise from $1.35 to $1.65, and the maximum fare will increase from $3.90 to $4.50. Rush-hour fares for seniors and disabled riders will also go up and will be equal to half the regular fare.

The higher fares also apply from 2 to 3 a.m. on Saturdays and Sundays.

Parking at suburban Metro stations, which currently costs up to $4 a day, will increase 75 cents.

Bus fares will remain $1.25 for those paying with SmarTrip electronic fare cards. Bus riders using cash will have to pay an extra dime.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2008, 04:14 AM   #109
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Metro budget calls for longer trains, more maintenance
10 January 2008

WASHINGTON (AP) - Metro's general manager is proposing a budget for the 2009 fiscal year that would provide money for newer and longer trains.

John Catoe says the $1.7 billion budget also sets aside money for improving the on-time performance of buses, rehabilitating old escalators, and maintaining the rail system.

There also are plans to install more safety warning strobe lights on Metrobuses in Maryland and Virginia.

Catoe says the improvements will lead to fewer breakdowns and more reliable service. The Metro board isn't expected to approve a final budget until June.

Catoe's budget proposal comes just days after Metro raised fares to help cover a budget gap for the upcoming fiscal year, which begins in July.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old January 11th, 2008, 09:32 AM   #110
brightside.
Honorary Scouser

Likes (Received): 8139

I am really pissed about the fare hike. Although it's only during the rush hours I believe.
Old January 12th, 2008, 12:39 AM   #111
jam5

Metro Eyes a Makeover;
High-Tech Design Comes With Operational, Financial Obstacles

By Lena H. Sun
Washington Post Staff Writer
Friday, January 11, 2008; Page B01

With shiny, stainless-steel exteriors, ergonomic seats and interactive, high-tech maps, the next generation of Metro trains could look and feel dramatically different from those of the past 40 years and represent a fundamental shift in the way the nation's second-busiest subway system operates its rail fleet.

If the designs are approved, it would be at least five years before any of the cars hit the tracks. Metro is planning in advance of a decision by federal authorities on whether to approve the Metrorail extension to Dulles International Airport and the time needed to order, build and test cars.

But there are other problems. The cars would be so technologically advanced that they would not be compatible with Metro's existing cars, rail chief Dave Kubicek said yesterday. That means the agency would have to operate two fleets: one with the newest cars, and the other with the existing fleet, which has older models with mechanical problems.

Having two fleets also raises questions about where they would run and the costs of replacing current cars as they reach the end of their usefulness.

"This is a pretty profound decision," said Metro board member Chris Zimmerman. Future board members would have to weigh the benefits of the new cars against the fact that they wouldn't work with the existing ones, he said.
Old January 26th, 2008, 04:18 AM   #112
greg_christine

Likes (Received): 142

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...012401221.html

Dulles Rail Project All but Dead
With Federal Funding at Risk, Some in Va. Say Demands for Major Revisions Can't Be Met

By Amy Gardner
Washington Post Staff Writer
Friday, January 25, 2008; Page A01

The federal government will not fund the Metro extension to Dulles International Airport without drastic changes, officials said yesterday, effectively scuttling a $5 billion project planned for more than 40 years and widely considered crucial to the region's economic future.

U.S. Transportation Secretary Mary Peters and Federal Transit Administration chief James S. Simpson stunned Virginia politicians at a meeting on Capitol Hill yesterday when they outlined what Simpson called "an extraordinarily large set of challenges" that disqualifies the project from receiving $900 million in federal money. Without that, the project would die.

"The sheer number and magnitude of the current project's technical, financial and institutional risks and uncertainties are unprecedented," Simpson wrote yesterday in a follow-up letter to Virginia Gov. Timothy M. Kaine (D). "I have serious concerns whether it would be appropriate to continue further investment."

Kaine said Virginia officials and the Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority, which is managing the project, would address the concerns of Simpson and Peters by Monday. But several project supporters, including state and congressional officials, said privately that it would not be possible to meet all of the federal government's demands. The federal and state governments have spent more than $140 million in planning the rail line.

The news sent shock waves through the region's political and business establishments, which have been promoting the need for a rail connection between the nation's capital and its major international airport since the 1960s. The line was expected to ease congestion through Virginia's biggest jobs corridor and also help it grow by stimulating a transformation of suburban Tysons Corner into a thriving downtown.

"It's an economic engine," said James C. Dinegar, president of the Greater Washington Board of Trade. "It offers the opportunity for sustained economic development, access to affordable housing, access to jobs, access to a world-class airport, an emergency evacuation route west and, most importantly, a key element in reducing congestion in the second-most congested region in the country."

Simpson's letter raised issues that go to the core of the project. They include its cost, which has ballooned over years of planning; the ability of the airports authority to manage such a large transit construction project when it has never done so; and the ability of Metro to absorb the extension into an existing system that is underfunded and needs repairs.

Simpson emphasized his concerns about Metro, likening the Dulles expansion to putting a two-room addition onto a house that is falling down. "First, you have to fix the house," he said later at a news conference. "Metro's operational issues have become really serious over the last several months," he said. "I spent several hours with senior staff at Metro talking about their unfunded needs. They're holding up some of their subway stations with jacks. They're holding other subway stations up with two-by-fours and plywood. I could go on."

Metro does not have a dedicated source of funding for federal projects, but General Manager John B. Catoe Jr. told federal officials yesterday that the agency has the ability to operate the extension.

Simpson said he and other transit officials have raised such concerns before. But project backers said they felt blindsided by yesterday's arguments, and they accused Simpson of raising issues at the eleventh hour on subjects that project officials have repeatedly addressed.

Kaine and U.S. Sen. John W. Warner (R-Va.), speaking after the closed-door meeting, said they look forward to responding to the FTA's concerns. But one senior congressional official described Warner as "livid" at the meeting, and a state official who spoke to Kaine afterward described him as "extremely disappointed and frustrated."

"The FTA made it very clear today to the delegation that they are going to say no to this project," said the official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because he did not want to anger the transit agency. "And the senator made it very clear that, given how obvious it is that members of Congress find this to be an incredibly important project -- and have for 30 years -- FTA probably should have set off some flares a lot earlier than this."

Added Virginia Transportation Secretary Pierce R. Homer, who attended yesterday's meeting: "Many of the issues that were raised today were heard for the first time by the congressional delegation, the governor and the project team, and that is disappointing."

One group not disappointed with yesterday's news is the coalition of community activists who have been pushing for a tunnel through the Tysons Corner segment of the project. Project planners instead decided on an elevated track, saying that a tunnel would cost too much and jeopardize federal funds. Tunnel supporters have been pushing for a timeout on the project to give a tunnel more study.

"This is an opportunity for us to make the best of this and see if we can't get the project corrected," said Scott Monett of TysonsTunnel.org. "We can still move Dulles rail forward -- with a tunnel."

But another group, composed of the landowners and developers poised to remake Tysons Corner with walkable streets lined with high-rise offices and condominiums, expressed disappointment about the federal response. "Boy, have our public officials let you, me and the entire region down," said Jonathan Cherner, a co-owner of Cherner Automotive Group, a car dealership on Route 7 in Tysons Corner.

If the FTA rejects the Dulles project, most backers say it could not carry on without the $900 million in federal money. The state would be left to decide whether to reapply and start over or give up on Dulles rail forever. It would be years, even in the best of circumstances, before a rail line could come this close to reality again.

Simpson said the FTA would not make a final decision on Dulles rail funding until Kaine and the congressional delegation have had a chance to respond to his concerns. The agency's initial promise to render a decision by the end of January is on hold, he said.

But that could cause more problems. The contract to build the rail line has an escalation clause beginning Feb. 1. If it kicks in, it would probably cause the state to terminate the contract and start that process over again.

State officials will probably respond to the federal concerns with documentation showing that the FTA has previously raised many of the same issues and that project planners have addressed them.

Another possibility is for Congress to grant an exemption from the regulations governing the FTA's New Starts program, from which Dulles is seeking the $900 million. The money is intended to help pay for the first phase, which would extend the Orange Line from the East Falls Church Metro station through Tysons Corner to Wiehle Avenue in Reston. The second phase would go to the airport and then into Loudoun County.

Staff writer Lena H. Sun contributed to this report.
greg_christine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2008, 09:12 AM   #113
Songoten2554

Likes (Received): 87

no this project can't be dead why does the stupid government does this its really stupid this is not a Metro line to nowhere this is a Metro Line to the Airport to dulles Airport which is a busy international Airport why doesn't the government reconize that this is very important for the citizens that live and work there and not only that a link from Dulles Airport to downtown for people using the airport

well there is still more to this and if they do some changes then the Silver line well go ahead as planned and be built
Songoten2554 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2008, 01:48 PM   #114
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

Likes (Received): 883

Songoten, in that entire sentence you just posted you didn't use one single full stop. Or any grammar for that matter. My god...
Old January 26th, 2008, 03:42 PM   #115
tampasteve

Likes (Received): 258

He says he is from Colombia, so people in the Miami forum usually give some slack....but that post is a bit worse than usually....

Steve

Last edited by tampasteve; January 27th, 2008 at 04:40 PM.
tampasteve no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2008, 04:50 PM   #116
Alargule
Res Uder et Siger

Likes (Received): 2093

Me no understandy no...
Old January 27th, 2008, 07:24 PM   #117
jam5

Given that the WMATA can barely take care of the existing metrorail lines we have now, I can't say I am entirely displeased by this development. We are already paying higher fare prices for the same level of services, and with no dedicated source of federal funding to ease the pain. We should first focus on upgrading the metrorail infrastructure before we even consider building an extension.

And with regard to the Dulles line itself -if the line was going to be elevated going through Tysons Corner instead of being tunneled, they might as well have saved themselves the trouble and built the rail along the Dulles Toll Road instead, with shuttle service transporting customers to and from the shopping center to the station. I am uncertain whether it would have cost less, but it would have been a more direct route, instead of meandering through Tysons Corner with not even the compensation of it being tunneled.
Old January 31st, 2008, 04:45 PM   #118
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Chairman says Metro needs $150M for repairs
31 January 2008

WASHINGTON (AP) - Metro General Manager John Catoe says the transit system needs 150 million dollars now for repair projects on tracks, power stations and platforms.

Catoe says the projects need to be funded immediately to keep service safe and reliable. He says the "immediate needs" list includes money to fix eight sagging train platforms, replace tens of thousands of track-fasteners and buy transformers to power longer trains.

Catoe says Metro doesn't have the money, and he'll give the board of directors a list of funding options, including borrowing it, next month.

Catoe says the transit system will likely need more than 3 billion dollars to fund its capital needs from 2010 to 2020.

Old February 1st, 2008, 08:52 AM   #119
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Metro ridership jumps following fare hike
28 January 2008

WASHINGTON (AP) - Metro's recent fare increase may not be driving commuters to their cars after all.

The transit agency says its weekday ridership numbers for the first three weeks of January are up more than 3 percent over the same period last year. Officials say the numbers include data from the first week of January -- before the fare increase took effect -- and the two weeks following the increase.

Metro raised fares for the first time since 2004 to help cover a $109 million budget shortfall. The new fares are 30 cents to 60 cents higher for rush-hour rail customers.

Jim Hughes, Metro's managing director for operations support, tells The (Washington) Examiner he's not sure of the reason for the increase.

But AAA Mid-Atlantic spokesman John Townsend says the agency could be getting a ridership boost from gas prices of $3 a gallon or more since mid-December.

Old February 20th, 2008, 08:53 AM   #120
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Metro to consider cell service for all riders
15 February 2008

WASHINGTON (AP) - Metro's board of directors will consider a plan in April that could make cell phone and wi-fi service available to all passengers, no matter what carrier they use.

Metro's current wireless system was built by Verizon.

AT&T and T-Mobile users are unable to get cell phone signals while riding in Metro tunnels, and Sprint users can only access signals while roaming.

But Chief Information Officer Suzanne Peck tells The (Washington Examiner) that the board will be asked to approve a plan for a new wireless system that would be compatible with all carriers.

If the board approves, the new wireless system would be available in about four years, with service in the 20 "highest-priority" stations within 18 months.

Tags
dc metro, washington metro