daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 11th, 2010, 11:49 PM   #161
ianto

Likes (Received): 5

Metro

Really nice system, I could not get enough!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ywlapY3ZqQ

Sponsored Links
Old May 20th, 2010, 07:10 AM   #162
ariel340

Likes (Received): 2

I think the new line to IAD should include a stop at the Udvar-Hazy National Air & Space Museum.
ariel340 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2010, 08:37 PM   #163
Dan78

Likes (Received): 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariel340 View Post
I think the new line to IAD should include a stop at the Udvar-Hazy National Air & Space Museum.
That would take the Silver Line about 2.5 to 3 miles out of the way in exactly the wrong direction; a better idea would be a free bus shuttle between the Udvar-Hazy site and the proposed Route 28 Metro Silver Line stop (just outside the airport main gate). Who knows, maybe if we ever get light rail or interurban rail down Route 28 someday, they can have a station for Udvar-Hazy?

Last edited by Dan78; May 20th, 2010 at 08:48 PM. Reason: clarification
Dan78 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2010, 05:07 AM   #164
SamuraiBlue

Likes (Received): 195

Quote:
Kawasaki Heavy awarded order for subway cars by Washington metro

Saturday 29th May, 04:08 AM JST

TOKYO —Kawasaki Heavy Industries Ltd said Friday it has been unofficially awarded an order worth about $880 million to deliver 428 subway cars to the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority in the United States.

The contract will include an option provision in which the Washington metro authority may place an order for up to an additional 320 cars, making it possible for the Japanese company to receive its biggest-ever single train order worth a total of about $1.48 billion if the option is exercised, the company said.

Kawasaki Heavy plans to assemble and test the 428 cars at its plant in Nebraska, and deliver them from 2013 to 2016, it said, adding that the firm would continue the production until 2018 if it receives the additional order, it said.
News source; Kyodo News agency
SamuraiBlue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2010, 12:20 PM   #165
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18222

Man who created Metro's look critiques its clutter
6 June 2010

WASHINGTON (AP) - The man who helped create the look of Washington's subway system said Saturday that some of the signs that have since gone up are clutter and should be taken down quietly in the night to preserve the architecture.

Massimo Vignelli, who designed the signage for Washington's Metro system as well as a map for the New York City subway system, spoke during a panel at Metro headquarters.

Vignelli's brown pylons with station names are an icon of the more than 100-mile system and its 86 stops. He designed the original signage throughout the system, which opened in 1976, but said it has since become cluttered with sign "pollution" that should be taken down.

"Get rid of it," said Vignelli, who spoke to about 80 people, only three of whom admitted having not ridden the Metro system.

He said after the talk that putting signs up on the walls of the system's vaulted stations was like putting advertising on a church or the White House.

Vignelli, who was born in Italy, was already known for New York's map before coming to Washington. In 1972, he designed a new map hailed by some for its clean, simple design. It became part of the collection of the city's Museum of Modern Art. But the map was also criticized for not relating the underground subway lines to aboveground geography. It was replaced in 1979.

In Washington, however, Vignelli said he got the job for designing the signage not because he was good but because he was a friend of Chicago architect Harry Weese, who was designing the system. Another man, Lance Wyman, designed the system's map.

Weese, who died in 1998 at the age of 83, wanted the design of his underground stations to reflect Rome's Pantheon and the Baths of Caracalla. As a result, Weese told Vignelli he didn't want anything hanging from the ceiling or attached to the walls of his stations.

Instead, to display station names and information, Vignelli proposed the square, brown pillars that dot the system today. The so-called "pylons" also hide air ducts and station lights. Originally the stations' names were only on the pillars, written like titles on the spines of books on a bookshelf.

Customers, however, complained, and a newspaper cartoonist poked fun at the system by drawing patrons coming out of it with their heads cocked, as if to read the signs.

"People were horrified at the beginning about the name going down like that," Vignelli said.

As a result, Metro put up signs that read left to right on the walls of stations. Vignelli said he disapproved because it detracted from the architecture, suggested the signs should be taken down quietly in the night.

"Signage should be kept to a minimum ... but be there when you need it," Vignelli said.

------

Online:

Vignelli Associates: http://www.vignelli.com

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2011, 04:17 AM   #166
nouveau.ukiyo

Likes (Received): 25

Can I post light rail information here or do I have to start a new thread?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/...QrH_story.html

Quote:
D.C. streetcars now on track to be in use by 2013

By Sarah Khan, Published: June 30

The noise and dust of road construction along H Street NE are finally fading away as the District finishes installing streetcar tracks near Union Station, but it may be 2013 before residents get a chance to ride.

Construction on the project began in 2008, part of the city’s $1.5 billion plan to resurrect its streetcar network, encourage redevelopment and connect communities east of the Anacostia River with Union Station. City officials had hoped to have some streetcars operational by 2012, but they revealed Wednesday that they need more time.

“I think it’s just really a matter of . . . the construction time frame needed to complete all of the work,” said John Lisle, spokesman for the D.C. Department of Transportation. “2012 was the ambition . . . But, given what’s left to be done, that’s not going to be realistic.”

The news of the change was first reported by WTOP.

The H Street tracks are part of the first leg of a streetcar system officials hope will eventually stretch 37 miles across the city.

The construction has meant months of disruption. Following his election, Mayor Vincent C. Gray met with busi*ness* owners from the H Street corridor to discuss their complaints. He later set the end of June as a deadline to finish installing track foundations, new sidewalks and light poles, Lisle said.

Nate Mines, owner of Dynamic Wellness, a natural medicine shop in the 400 block of H Street, said the construction blocked parking spots and the entrance to his building, driving away many loyal customers.

“They kept stopping and starting,” he said. “Once you start something, you need to complete it. The breaks in between were very, very time consuming.”

The block between 13th and 14th streets was noisy Friday, with bulldozers, trucks and workers laying the final pieces of steel track and gray cobblestone sidewalks.

This last segment has been moving along quickly, said Justine Choe, a cook at Tony’s Carry-Out at H and 14th. Workers dressed in neon green vests partially fenced off the store’s entrance during lunchtime to lay down new sidewalks. Only six people waited in line for food that day, although Choe said lines normally snake out the door.

The same work along Benning Road to Oklahoma Avenue was completed last year.

DDOT is seeking a contractor to install the rest of the infrastructure: overhead wires, power substations and maintenance facilities needed to keep the cars running, Lisle said.

The department has put out requests to contractors this summer, he said, and the work is expected to start next year.

“We don’t anticipate it will be anything close to the work that was done for the current project,” he said.

If all goes smoothly, six 66-foot-long cars will be operating down H and Benning by 2013, Lisle said. The city bought three streetcars several years ago — now being stored at Metro’s Greenbelt rail yard — and hopes to buy three more this summer, he said.

For Mines, the arrival of the streetcars will bring new opportunities for the business he has been operating for seven years. He runs health fairs at his medicine shop, which he hopes to advertise to streetcar riders.

“I’m always for innovation and cutting-edge things.” he said. “When I got here seven years ago, this place was empty. I’ve seen a lot of change over time. With the streetcars, I really want to upgrade.”

Meanwhile, in Anacostia, the city has run tracks along Firth Sterling Avenue Southeast from Suitland Parkway to South Capitol Street. The community is discussing possible ways for the tracks to be extended to the 11th Street Bridge.

This year, DDOT has held three public meetings in Anacostia — the most recent one Wednesday night — where residents helped identify 10 potential routes. They discussed the possible effects the routes could have on the historic neighborhood and surrounding environment, said Circe Torruellas, the project manager of D.C.’s streetcar planning, who headed the meetings.

DDOT plans to make a final decision on the best route and prepare a request for construction bids in the fall, she said. No date for that construction has been set.

More than 200 miles of streetcar tracks once covered the District, but the last of them were abandoned in 1962 as the city turned to buses. The city is committed to seeing their return, Lisle said.

“There is going to be real progress over the next two years,” he said. “We are getting very close.”
nouveau.ukiyo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2011, 04:19 AM   #167
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17044

I have a Baltimore - DC transit thread already , i wonder why they didn't merge the 2.
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2011, 04:22 AM   #168
nouveau.ukiyo

Ah, I see...found it: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...1114781&page=7

This thread is old, so perhaps nobody noticed it was around. Perhaps a mod will see this post and merge these threads.
Old July 3rd, 2011, 04:42 AM   #169
Professor L Gee
Fan of skylines, highways

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
I have a Baltimore - DC transit thread already , i wonder why they didn't merge the 2.
Still two different MSAs with separate transit systems. Only link they have is MARC, and that's outside the scope of this forum.
Professor L Gee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2011, 06:45 AM   #170
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor L Gee View Post
Still two different MSAs with separate transit systems. Only link they have is MARC, and that's outside the scope of this forum.
The Baltimore system is small and both systems future wise will over lap.
Old July 3rd, 2011, 10:32 AM   #171
Professor L Gee

Quote:
The Baltimore system is small
Still completely separate, so not really a reason to combine the two.

Quote:
and both systems future wise will over lap.
That's still a long way away (if it ever happens), and the extent of that overlap will be that BWI Airport has both a WMATA metro stop and a MTA light rail stop. Hardly an overlap to speak of.
Old July 4th, 2011, 11:42 AM   #172
nouveau.ukiyo

Well gee, this in an interesting situation...if Washington and Baltimore's transit systems are considered separate, they should be in separate threads. However, in any case, this Washington Metro thread needs to be merged with either the Washington/Baltimore thread or a new Washington | Transit thread to avoid confusion.
Old July 4th, 2011, 07:58 PM   #173
Professor L Gee

Quote:
Originally Posted by nouveau.ukiyo View Post
Well gee, this in an interesting situation...if Washington and Baltimore's transit systems are considered separate, they should be in separate threads. However, in any case, this Washington Metro thread needs to be merged with either the Washington/Baltimore thread or a new Washington | Transit thread to avoid confusion.
It's called "Washington Metro" because Washington's subway system is called the "Metro," not because the two cities belong to the same MSA (which they don't...). It's also the only rapid transit that Washington (currently) has.

Maybe in the future, once either the streetcar or the Purple Line opens, it can be merged with a new "Transit" thread... but right now it's fine as it is.
Old July 4th, 2011, 08:14 PM   #174
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
It's called "Washington Metro" because Washington's subway system is called the "Metro," not because the two cities belong to the same MSA (which they don't...). It's also the only rapid transit that Washington (currently) has.

Maybe in the future, once either the streetcar or the Purple Line opens, it can be merged with a new "Transit" thread... but right now it's fine as it is.
The other thread covers both , and both systems are slowly growing closer together...
Old July 4th, 2011, 09:45 PM   #175
Professor L Gee

Quote:
The other thread covers both , and both systems are slowly growing closer together...
Even though it's informative and all, I maintain that that thread should have been split into two.

Where do you keep seeing that MTA and Metro are going to merge together though by way of something other than MARC?
Old July 5th, 2011, 07:33 AM   #176
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Quote:
Even though it's informative and all, I maintain that that thread should have been split into two.

Where do you keep seeing that MTA and Metro are going to merge together though by way of something other than MARC?
The two systems are too far apart from each other for there to be any overlap other than MARC. Also in my opinion it would be more cost effective to run MARC trains on the Penn Line more frequently (similar to service on the LIRR) then to extend the Green Line all the way from Greenbelt to BWI.
diablo234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2011, 03:03 AM   #177
Professor L Gee

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
The two systems are too far apart from each other for there to be any overlap other than MARC. Also in my opinion it would be more cost effective to run MARC trains on the Penn Line more frequently (similar to service on the LIRR) then to extend the Green Line all the way from Greenbelt to BWI.
Agreed on all points.
Old September 12th, 2011, 01:46 AM   #178
IanCleverly
A New Kind of Medicine

Likes (Received): 230

IanCleverly no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2013, 09:25 PM   #179
LAmarODom420
Lamarvelous

Likes (Received): 4

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/...5ee_story.html

Metro’s top managers are proposing a new rail tunnel under the center of the District, a second tunnel under the Potomac, and they estimate the transit agency will need $26 billion over the next three decades to pay for those and other improvements to an aging system that is falling behind the region’s needs.

The proposed new rail tunnels — one under 10th Street to Thomas Circle and another between Rosslyn and Georgetown and on to Thomas Circle — would be massive undertakings. The projects would require major financial commitments from local and federal governments and would take several years to plan and several more years to complete.

It is not the first time Metro has talked about such new tunnels, but in making them a central piece of the transit agency’s new strategic plan, Metro’s top managers are seeking to focus public attention on what the agency says is a long-term threat to the region’s economic growth.

The 49-page strategic plan is to be presented Thursday morning to Metro’s board of directors, which has yet to endorse the blueprint.

“If we don’t do something about what’s coming at us in terms of the region’s growth, we will have such a crowded system that it will create its own set of problems with regard to safety and infrastructure,” Richard Sarles, Metro’s general manager, said in an interview. “Now is the time for the region — with Metro in the lead — to begin talking about projects that make the most sense for making long-term investments.”

The continuing population growth in the District and its suburbs, especially among young people who choose not to own cars, has made Metro’s long-term capacity an existential issue for the transit system, one of the busiest in the nation.

Along with the proposed tunnels, Metro says it must spend billions of dollars to upgrade the rail system’s electrical grid to handle more eight-car trains and must add pedestrian corridors between transfer stations such as Metro Center and Gallery Place. Above ground, Metro needs to buy more buses, build more bus garages and create bus-only lanes on busy downtown streets.

Dubbed “Momentum,” and 18 months in the making, Metro’s new strategic plan catalogues the system’s needs and renews the long-standing argument for Metro to have a dedicated funding source, just as many big-city transit systems do.

Metro’s lack of capital investment in the past decade has been blamed on that lack of dedicated funding, and planners say that unless that changes, there is little hope of executing the ambitious strategic plan that will be formally unveiled Thursday.

A new Metro line is being built in Northern Virginia, but it is being constructed for Metro by the Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority, with revenue from the Dulles Toll Road financing a significant part of the line’s $5.6 billion cost.

No such obvious source of financing exists for the new rail line and tunnels proposed in Metro’s new strategic plan, and the plan does not specify how the agency would finance the rail expansion and other costly improvements.

In Maryland and Virginia, the state governments have struggled for years to come up with ways to ensure long-term funding for transportation.

Unlike other transit agencies in New York, Boston and Los Angeles that depend on some level of dedicated funds from specific taxes, Metro receives contributions from the District, Maryland, Virginia and the federal government for its operating and capital budgets, which total $2.5 billion.

Shyam Kannan, Metro’s chief planner, said it will take a “reliable, sustained stream of capital funding from a combination of local and federal” moneys to pay for the slew of proposed projects.

Metro’s system, including Metrobus, ranks as the fourth-largest transit system and second-largest rail system by ridership in the country, according to the American Public Transportation Association.

In the past decade, Metro has seen its ridership grow, and despite recent drops in riders from weekend track work as it rebuilds the aging system, officials said they expect ridership to increase 40 percent to 1.05 million weekday rider trips on average by 2040 as the new Silver Line comes on line later this year and other transportation projects in the region are underway.

Metrorail, which carried its first passengers in 1976, is entering a new era.

It faces the costly challenge of upgrading an aging system that hasn’t been well maintained over the years. Escalators break down frequently. Switches, tracks and other equipment are being replaced to meet National Transportation Safety Board safety recommendations. New rail cars have been purchased to replace the rail cars from the 1970s that were involved in the deadliest crash on the system in 2009.

Sarles said the $1-billion-a-year capital-spending project he has been aggressively pushing in the two years he has been at the helm shows the system is “middle aged and getting a facelift.”

Transportation experts said it is key to have an efficient and reliable transit system.

“We’re seeing a sea change in how people move about,” said Michael Melaniphy, president and chief executive of the American Public Transportation Association. “We see cities competing against each other to attract new business, and those that have access to public transportation have an edge.”

In its strategic plan, Metro proposes to spend $6 billion on its rail and bus systems by 2025.

Planners said running all eight-car trains on its five rail lines would help trains carry at least 35,000 more passengers an hour during weekday rush hours. But to do that, Metro needs to spend $2 billion to increase its power system, add more space at rail yards to park trains, and buy more rail cars.

Busy stations such as Gallery Place, Metro Center, L’Enfant Plaza and Union Station need additional mezzanines, stairs, elevators and escalators. Metro plans to build new underground pedestrian tunnels between busy stops such as Metro Center and Gallery Place.

One of the biggest ideas in its plan is to try to relieve congestion through the Rosslyn tunnel where Metro is already at its maximum capacity of 26 trains per hour. Riders on the Blue Line have expressed frustration of getting fewer trains per hour to make way for the new Silver Line.

To help alleviate the problem, planners suggest creating what they call the “Rosslyn bypass.” New tracks would be built west of Rosslyn and near the Pentagon, allowing trains on the Orange Line to go south into Virginia on the Blue Line and east over the Yellow Line bridge.

New stations would also be added at Rosslyn and Pentagon.

Planners also want to spend $600 million for bus service improvements, including new buses, garages and bus-only lanes along busy streets in downtown, including H and I streets NW between 13th and 17th streets.

The transit agency calls for an additional $20 billion worth of projects to be done by 2040, including building two tunnels.

One north-south tunnel, costing $2.7 billion, would be built under 10th Street SW and NW to Thomas Circle and would allow Green and Yellow line trains to run in separate tunnels. That would take pressure off the tunnel that runs between L’Enfant Plaza and Gallery Place. Another $3.3 billion tunnel would run east-west through Rosslyn to Georgetown and along M Street NW to Thomas Circle.

Zachary M. Schrag, author of a book on how Metro got built, said the rail system is pushing close to the 1 million riders a day it was designed to handle.

“It’s pretty much maxed out on the original design,” he said. “It is up to the next generation to plant the olive tree.”

geometarkv liked this post
LAmarODom420 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2013, 09:54 PM   #180
LAmarODom420
Lamarvelous

Likes (Received): 4

Arnorian, geometarkv liked this post
LAmarODom420 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
dc metro, washington metro