daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Manchester Metro Area

Manchester Metro Area For Manchester, Salford and the surrounding area.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 27th, 2012, 10:36 PM   #1061
SteKnight
What was the question?

Likes (Received): 24

This may have been mentioned elsewhere... the council have just completed moving all of their staff out of Overseas House (and moved them into One First Street) as part of their property rationalisation project. I'm not sure who that leaves in terms of tennants, or what that means for the future of the building...
SteKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old February 27th, 2012, 11:08 PM   #1062
nq

Was this ever posted? Brochure seems to be dated Jan-11, linked to the Overseas House spec on the Bruntwood site.

Reduced size version of that Lloyds branded one.

http://www.bruntwood.co.uk/Sites/Bru...ochure.pdf.pdf

nq no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2012, 04:30 PM   #1063
man med
DJ MedZ

Likes (Received): 106

Nice find NQ - prefer the taller version though ha.

https://soundcloud.com/deejay-medz
man med no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2012, 03:44 PM   #1064
nq

Quote:
Originally Posted by man med View Post
Nice find NQ - prefer the taller version though ha.
Yep, 15 vs 10 storey

Don't think this was posted from Bruntwood's annual report last month,
Quote:
With an eye to the ongoing and future needs of our customers, we have a number of major schemes planned for 2012 within the existing portfolio including Overseas House, Portland Tower and Bank Chambers, as well as keeping an eye open for other opportunities in the marketplace.

p.31 http://www.bruntwood.co.uk/Sites/Bru...eport_2011.pdf

Other news.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flange View Post
Looks like the Stephenson Bell Charlotte St project is going to happen soon as a planning application for hoardings around the site are now online, it looks like the scheme will be called Vitreo.

http://www.publicaccess.manchester.g...324/AO/2008/C2

(Quote from 2008)

App submitted at the end of last year, only validated recently(?), looks like Bank of East Asia are opening a branch here.
Quote:
3 - 5 Charlotte Street Manchester M1 4HB

Change of use to Class A2 (Financial and Professional Services) and elevational alterations in association with the refurbishment of building including recladding of building and creation of roof top pavilion

097817/FO/2011/C2
No renders, just elevations.

nq no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2012, 10:35 PM   #1065
jrb
10th February 2008

Likes (Received): 2881

MIPIM conclusion.

Everyone(Spinningfields, NOMA, First Street) is trying to knock out future new do it yourself office space at £20 per sq ft.

Manchester:The new IKEA office world.
jrb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2012, 12:37 PM   #1066
flange

Likes (Received): 707

Quote:
Ask sees future in 'base chassis' offices

8 Mar 2012, 08:47

Ask Developments' chief executive Ken Knott has outlined a flexible office concept for First Street in Manchester city centre.

Ken Knott and Ian Simpson at Mipim 2012
Speaking at the Mipim property convention in Cannes, Knott said the new office buildings will be highly sustainable and competitively priced, with rents up to 30% lower than the prime central business district.

He said the unit sizes will be capable of being subdivided and interconnected vertically and horizontally to create an infinite number of options.

Knott said: "The concept was conceived as 'shared platforms', much like automotive production. The innovative energy efficient base chassis of each building can be used in a variety of configurations tailored to a specific activity or can perform equally well in its base model format. Internally, tall, airy spaces with floor to ceiling windows interspersed with useful working walls can be combined with street level space and public and private amenities."

Ask Developments plans 1m sq ft of office at First Street, a mixed-use development anchored by a 50,000 sq ft arts centre incorporating the merged Cornerhouse and Library Theatre Company and a 208-bed, 4-star Innside Hotel from global hotel group Meliá Hotels.

Ian Simpson Architects is advising Ask.
http://www.placenorthwest.co.uk/news...s-offices.html
flange no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2012, 12:55 PM   #1067
man med
DJ MedZ

Likes (Received): 106

Green bank is going to Edinborough or London - suprise suprise

https://soundcloud.com/deejay-medz
man med no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2012, 01:42 PM   #1068
LNGCats

Likes (Received): 326

Quote:
Originally Posted by man med
Quite right as well.

Those two curious meet the criteria set down by government much better than anywhere else.

2+2=4 no matter what your opinion is

My favourite colour being red makes me no more or less intelligent than someone who prefers green.
LNGCats no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2012, 02:08 PM   #1069
macc

Likes (Received): 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by man med View Post
Just missed out

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/d823afa2-6...#axzz1oWgom6Jf

Edinburgh chosen to host Green Bank

The UK’s Green Investment Bank, which aims to kick-start investments in low-carbon technologies, will be located in both Edinburgh and London, Vince Cable, the business secretary has announced.
The bank’s headquarters will be in the Scottish capital Edinburgh, while its main transaction team will be based in London.
More

The cities beat competition from 30 other urban centres– from Leeds in the north to Torbay in the south - to host the state-owned bank which is designed to accelerate private sector investment in areas such clean energy and recycling.

Mr Cable told the Financial Times that Edinburgh had been chosen because “I wanted to make a very strong commitment to rebalancing the economy” by establishing the headquarters outside London.

He said the Scottish capital was strong in asset management and close to a lot of green industrial developments, while London would host the transaction team because it was a “unique centre of excellence” for project finance.
Over time, Mr Cable said transaction expertise could build up in Edinburgh or elsewhere.

He said the political need to shore up the union between Scotland and England did not influence the decision. Manchester had come third in the evaluation and if it had come second “we would have been looking at Manchester”.

Asked whether the headquarters would have to move if Scotland became independent, he said that was an “unlikely and unwelcome” eventuality and would affect a number of UK institutions, such as the Glasgow-based Student Loans Company.

But Julian Smith, Conservative MP for Skipton and Ripon, who backed the Leeds bid, criticised the decision to base the headquarters in Scotland.
“At a time when Scots are considering their destiny, we should be retaining this sort of investment in England,” he said.

Mr Smith also said that it was “disappointing” that the North of England had missed out to London.

“I think we do need to get away from London being the default option,” he said.

Although the bank will employ only about 70 people, bidders hoped that it would lure green businesses wherever it was based.

Michael Moore, the Scottish secretary, said he was “delighted” the bank’s headquarters would be in Scotland. “The size and scale of the UK’s single energy market ensures the level of investment that will unlock Scotland’s renewables future, providing sustainable and affordable green energy across the UK,” he said.

The bank will have £3bn to lend over the next three years and, from April 2015, should be able to leverage a further £15bn.

It is expected to prioritise finance for offshore power generation, waste processing and recycling, energy from waste and non-domestic energy efficiency. It will also support the Green Deal, the government’s home insulation programme.

The bank will recruit a chairman and senior independent director in order to be able to be fully operational this autumn, subject to state aid approval from the European Union, the business department said.
Old March 8th, 2012, 02:38 PM   #1070
Lookin Up

Likes (Received): 300

Not surprised. It does smack of a sop to the Scots faced with a referendum on devolution.

What stood out from the article even more was the reminder that the Student Loans Company is based in Glasgow EVEN though Scottish students don't have to pay them.

So they get a double benefit: they don't have to pay university fees AND they get the benefit of the jobs created by fleecing English students! England gets all the costs and zero benefit.
That has to be taking the piss on a grand scale.

How about a referendum for the English on devolving itself from Scotland at the same time - shouldn't we have our say too??
Lookin Up no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2012, 02:52 PM   #1071
LNGCats

Why is it always a political decision?

Edinburgh is the second largest financial centre in the country and close to where much green energy will be produced.

Why can such decisions like this never be accepted for what they almost certainly are?

My favourite colour being red makes me no more or less intelligent than someone who prefers green.
Old March 8th, 2012, 10:05 PM   #1072
nicky2tu
Nice up North

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by LNGCats View Post
Why is it always a political decision?

Edinburgh is the second largest financial centre in the country and close to where much green energy will be produced.

Why can such decisions like this never be accepted for what they almost certainly are?
Simply because we are ambitious for our own city. The right to question decisions like this is part of our DNA - it makes us what we are. We are as contrarian as you are perversely counter-contrarian; in other words we are contrarian for the sake of simple civic chauvinism you are counter-contrarian for its own sake - you like it. I don't really care what you think Cats to be honest its just the obsessive badgering of other posters that I find such a bore. Can you not make your 'the technocrats know best' point once and just leave it at that and spend the rest of your evenings writing them sycophantic congratulatory emails?
nicky2tu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2012, 10:48 PM   #1073
iheartthenew

Likes (Received): 778

Cats is right. Not everything is decided to suit a political agenda. There's a point where pride becomes paranoia.
Old March 8th, 2012, 11:15 PM   #1074
LNGCats

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicky2tu

Simply because we are ambitious for our own city. The right to question decisions like this is part of our DNA - it makes us what we are. We are as contrarian as you are perversely counter-contrarian; in other words we are contrarian for the sake of simple civic chauvinism you are counter-contrarian for its own sake - you like it. I don't really care what you think Cats to be honest its just the obsessive badgering of other posters that I find such a bore. Can you not make your 'the technocrats know best' point once and just leave it at that and spend the rest of your evenings writing them sycophantic congratulatory emails?
Which of the Dept for Business criteria do you think Manc was ahead of Edinburgh (our London)?

Old March 9th, 2012, 12:03 AM   #1075
Nathan Dawz
Makin all KINDS of gains!

Likes (Received): 1248

I'm curious to know why Cats puts so much faith in the 'criteria'.

It's hardly unheard of for politicians to choose the criteria to deliberately fit the cities they have in mind.

I can understand Edinburgh but London is a typically lazy choice. Whenever one of these new departments or agencies spring up, the government should be looking to move it to any city other than London by default.
Nathan Dawz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2012, 12:50 AM   #1076
LNGCats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Dawz
I'm curious to know why Cats puts so much faith in the 'criteria'.

It's hardly unheard of for politicians to choose the criteria to deliberately fit the cities they have in mind.

I can understand Edinburgh but London is a typically lazy choice. Whenever one of these new departments or agencies spring up, the government should be looking to move it to any city other than London by default.
How would you chose the best place to put such a bank?

How would your criteria differ?

Old March 9th, 2012, 01:02 AM   #1077
Cherguevara

Likes (Received): 788

Choosing the site a state investment where it would fit best is still a political decision, in the sense that it is a choice not to challenge the existing distribution of functions.

Whether that is a good or bad thing depends on your point of view, but the point remains that any act by the state is political.
Cherguevara no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2012, 01:48 AM   #1078
LNGCats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherguevara
Choosing the site a state investment where it would fit best is still a political decision, in the sense that it is a choice not to challenge the existing distribution of functions.

Whether that is a good or bad thing depends on your point of view, but the point remains that any act by the state is political.
Maybe, but if a commercial company was making the decision on behalf of shareholders they'd have come to a similar result.

Old March 9th, 2012, 01:55 AM   #1079
Cherguevara

Likes (Received): 788

I don't think a commercial company would be starting such a venture though.
Cherguevara no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2012, 01:57 AM   #1080
LNGCats

No, but if they were to have £3bn from a mysterious investor to setup such a bank where would you advise they start up?

London our Edinburgh?