daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 13th, 2007, 10:08 PM   #381
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19378

The list so far in Europe;

Motorway-called roads
1. Spain 12.946 - Autovía & Autopista
2. Germany 12.624 - Autobahn
3. France 10.689 - Autoroute

Expressways with motorway characteristics
1. France 3.097 - Voie Expresse
2. Germany 1.561 - Autobahnähnlich & Gelbe Autobahn
3. Spain 0* - Via Rapida**

Total:
1. Germany 14.185
2. France 13.786
3. Spain 12.946

* Only difference between Autovías and Autopistas are tolls.
** A Via Rapida is a one lane expressway, and therefore not taken into account.

What can we see from this list? Well, the three countries are close to eachother. However, they have various population (densities) and AADT. Counted to population, Spain wins by far, and Germany comes out worse.

Spain also has the largest amount of the highest design standards, France has the lowest. Germany is in between, but it has to be noted, that some German Autobahnen have no emergency lane, also in rural areas.

Still, a decent comparison is hard, since France's Voie Expresses (motorway-like roads) have a higher design standard as German Autobahnähnliche roads. Spanish Autovías have the same design standards and Vmax as their Autobahn, Autopista & Autoroute counterparts.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 13th, 2007, 11:54 PM   #382
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Wowowow! Thanks for the numbers, Chris! But how can you make it so precise? I find it easy to get the length of a long motorway, but there's tons of short ones that are harder to calculate. What's your recipe? And how did you decide, which roads are motorway-like and which aren't? I hope you didn't count the Munich inner ring, for example.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2007, 12:08 AM   #383
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Well, it takes a lot of time.

Spain was quite easy, the Michelin atlas makes a clear difference between Autopistas/Autovías and other 4 lane expressways (which can also be grade seperated). So this is generally just checking every page for Autopista's and Autovía's. Spain took me about one afternoon and evening.

France is also not too hard, i did it the same way as Spain. Voie Expresses are always up to motorway-standards, however they have fewer rest/gas stations and no tolls. France took me this afternoon.

Germany was harder. The Autobahn network was not too hard, but the other motorway-like roads are less good defined. This was just some good Google Earth checking. Where Autovías and Voie Expresses are always (near) motorway-grade, German expressways aren't always that good. Sometimes they are just urban arterials with acces restricted 2x2 lanes, sometimes near motorways.

How i did it? I started Open Office Calc (same as MS Excel), and just started to entry all motorways. I calculated the length with my calculator, which takes quite some time, but is by far the most precise.

I wanted to do this by hand, because internet sources are not accurate/overrated (wikipedia) or outdated (governmental sites).

I already saw a lot of National Spanish roads to be underlined as "Autovia en Obras", which means it will be or is under reconstruction to a motorway-grade road. Completion dates stating 2007 are included, others are not.
Old October 14th, 2007, 12:11 AM   #384
ChrisZwolle
Road user

a printscreen:

[IMG]http://i23.************/2mwt4y0.png[/IMG]
Old October 14th, 2007, 12:57 AM   #385
Verso
Islander

But how did you count all the motorways in the atlas? Sometimes distances shown include also non-motorway parts, that really pisses me off, although yeah, mostly it's distinguished.

About sources: you know, which info is the most laughable to me? Armenia having 1,561 km of expressways. Or am I wrong?
Old October 14th, 2007, 02:44 AM   #386
Stifler
That's what she said

Likes (Received): 11

Chris, your work is awesome, and IMO extremely precise and objetive.

Thank you so much.
Old October 14th, 2007, 09:03 AM   #387
TheCat
IsraCanadian :)

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriszwolle View Post
a printscreen:
Wow, that's some serious dedication. Is that related to your occupation? I read in one of the threads that you do traffic advising (actually, I think it's your profile). Can you explain a little? I'm very curious, since you are my age . Do you work as part of an internship from university?
Old October 14th, 2007, 11:30 AM   #388
lpioe

Likes (Received): 18

Great job Chris

3ds Max Script to create stadium stands for given c-values

my stadium designs (all WIP / unfinished...)

1 - 2 - 3 - 4

lpioe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2007, 11:42 AM   #389
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10969

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy2 View Post
I do NOT beleive for a minute that Canada has 17000 km of freeway..........I think even 5000 would be pushing it.
Is this freeway length or freeway lanes.....there is a big difference.
Freeway length. 17,000 km seems very believable to me. The Trans-Canada highway alone is 8,000 km. There are portions of it that are not freeway, but the entire length of it through Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, and Quebec is freeway. If you add on top of this all the freeways in southern Ontario (the 401 alone is 816 km) and other freeways around the country, 17,000 km seems bang on.

Manitoba is listed at having only 200 km of freeway by Transport Canada. I have driven on that 200 km Manitoba freeway, and it definitely is freeway, not highway or road. When you consider that the same organization has come up with 17,000 km for the whole country, it is evident that the count is correct because they used the same criteria.

Tiny Nova Scotia is listed at having 1,600 km of freeway alone. I lived there for 20 years and this figure seems right to me. Halifax to the New Brunswick border is over 300 km. Truro to New Glasgow and beyond is freeway and at least another few hundred kilometres. Truro to the Annapolis Valley and beyond is also freeway. Halifax heading south along the coast is also freeway for a few hundred kilometres. We're already well past 1,000 km.

If you consider that there are over 1,400,000 km of roads in Canada (Transport Canada figures), how could 17,000 km of freeway seem outlandish?

Last edited by isaidso; October 14th, 2007 at 12:11 PM.
isaidso está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2007, 11:51 AM   #390
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
But how did you count all the motorways in the atlas? Sometimes distances shown include also non-motorway parts, that really pisses me off, although yeah, mostly it's distinguished.
Well, the Michelin atlas is quite precise. Sometimes they aren't, and i estimated, but i can only about 1 - 2km wrong on that.

Quote:
About sources: you know, which info is the most laughable to me? Armenia having 1,561 km of expressways. Or am I wrong?
That's more likely the old Soviet M-roads in the country. But i shouldn't underestimate Armenia, since some M-roads are expressway-grade over a considerable length. They don't have the quality of western motorways, but at least the profile is there.
Old October 14th, 2007, 11:56 AM   #391
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCat View Post
Wow, that's some serious dedication. Is that related to your occupation? I read in one of the threads that you do traffic advising (actually, I think it's your profile). Can you explain a little? I'm very curious, since you are my age . Do you work as part of an internship from university?
I'm not doing this for work, just a little occupation of me.

About my work, i haven't studied or anything, after highschool, i worked for a few years in a supermarket, but that became boring, and quite under my intelligence level (no offence to other supermarket employees), so i knew the chief of this work i work now. It turned out there is a national severe shortage of people interested or studying "verkeerskunde" (Traffic knowledge), so they were happy to give me a job.

My hobby is motorways and traffic in all countries of the world, so i know quite a bit about it.
Old October 14th, 2007, 12:07 PM   #392
oliver999
starwar

Likes (Received): 1141

every country has it's own standard for high way or free way, so the statistics cant be very accurate. but i know US, CHINA,CANADA,GERMANY leading the way in totally length.
Old October 14th, 2007, 12:13 PM   #393
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10969

Agreed. Most nations simply won't have as much freeway because they aren't as vast. Germany comes close simply because of the large German population and level of development of their system, but it just makes sense that countries like the US, China, and Canada would have alot of freeway. Canada is wider than the Atlantic Ocean.
isaidso está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2007, 07:35 PM   #394
velut arbor aevo

Likes (Received): 11

the dutch, belgian and american highways are the best that I have come across
velut arbor aevo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2007, 07:54 PM   #395
GNU
Gnuru

Likes (Received): 35

Quote:

Motorway-called roads

Total:
1. Germany 14.185
2. France 13.786
3. Spain 12.946

What can we see from this list? Well, the three countries are close to eachother. However, they have various population (densities) and AADT. Counted to population, Spain wins by far, and Germany comes out worse.

Spain also has the largest amount of the highest design standards, France has the lowest. Germany is in between, but it has to be noted, that some German Autobahnen have no emergency lane, also in rural areas.

Still, a decent comparison is hard, since France's Voie Expresses (motorway-like roads) have a higher design standard as German Autobahnähnliche roads. Spanish Autovías have the same design standards and Vmax as their Autobahn, Autopista & Autoroute counterparts.
So according to your calculations Germany has the biggest motorway network

Last edited by GNU; October 14th, 2007 at 07:59 PM.
GNU no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2007, 08:17 PM   #396
Verso
Islander

Quote:
I'm not doing this for work, just a little occupation of me.

About my work, i haven't studied or anything, after highschool, i worked for a few years in a supermarket, but that became boring, and quite under my intelligence level (no offence to other supermarket employees), so i knew the chief of this work i work now. It turned out there is a national severe shortage of people interested or studying "verkeerskunde" (Traffic knowledge), so they were happy to give me a job.

My hobby is motorways and traffic in all countries of the world, so i know quite a bit about it.
Chris, why don't you go study transport?
Old October 14th, 2007, 08:58 PM   #397
arriaca
BANNED

Likes (Received): 91

Quote:

Motorway-called roads

Total:
1. Germany 14.185
2. France 13.786
3. Spain 12.946

Anuario Ministerio de Fomento 2005 www.fomento.es

Vías de gran capacidad (motorways) 13.156 km
Autopistas de peaje 2.648 km
Autovías 8.748 km
Carreteras de doble calzada 1.724 km
(Expressways with motorway characteristics)

12946 (Chriszwolle, 2007 Motorways) + 1724 (Fomento, 2005 Expressways with motorway characteristics) = 14.724 km
arriaca no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2007, 10:50 PM   #398
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Carreteras de doble calzada 1.724 km
(Expressways with motorway characteristics)
Those aren't up to motorway standards like Autovías and Autopistas. Those are more 4 lane highways, not necessarily motorways. More like the M506 in Madrid.
Old October 14th, 2007, 11:15 PM   #399
TheCat
IsraCanadian :)

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by velut arbor aevo View Post
the dutch, belgian and american highways are the best that I have come across
Hey, I know what your nickname stands for You're associated with the University of Toronto?
Old October 14th, 2007, 11:19 PM   #400
Nephasto
Enlightened user

Likes (Received): 71

Indeed! What are Carreteras de doble calzada with motorway standards?! That doesn't exist... they would be autovias.
And also there are some rare dual carriagewas that don't have motorway standarts but are called autovias(for example the A7 south of Estepona untill the junction with AP7), although I think those aren't counted in Chris numbers.

PS: Did you only count the French Voies Express that are classified as having motorway standards by viamichelin, Chris?