daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old October 28th, 2010, 01:11 AM   #641
lucaf1
Registered User
 
lucaf1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,002
Likes (Received): 92

Italy 6.621 km

Superstrade are not included
lucaf1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 28th, 2010, 06:05 AM   #642
bebe.2006
Ekspert
 
bebe.2006's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Piotrków Tryb.
Posts: 2,961
Likes (Received): 466

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucaf1 View Post
Italy 6.621 km

Superstrade are not included
What do you mean?

________________________________





Quote:
Originally Posted by Muttie View Post
So a road like this one below is also counted?



Just checking....
I think we should count roads on that you can drive 80-120 km/h without stops: no crossroads, no traffic lights (except that it's a jam ).
So, if a road like this one below is also counted? I would say yes.
________________________________

Source: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...2#post11619612 :

Let`s make some changes to the list by ChrisZwolle. All data from this thread.




Highways, motorways, expressways, freeways in length:

The modified Chris's list contains only dual carriageway (four or more lanes), grade separated (access controlled, limited-access) roads:

1) United States 100.000 km
2) China 75.000 km
3) Spain 14.689 km
4) Germany 14.185 km
5) France 13.786 km
6) Brazil 11.000 km
7) Italy 7.079 km
8) Japan 6.946 km
9) Canada 6.165 km
10) Mexico 6.144 km (growing fast)
11) United Kingdom 3421 km
12) Saudi Arabia 3348 km
13) Thailand 2885 km (are those all expressways?)
14) Chile 2653 km
15) Netherlands 2360 km
16) Iraq 2227 km (i don't think they are all motorways)
17) Pakistan 2225 km
18) Portugal 2002 km
19) Argentina 2000 km (aprox.)
20) South Korea 1996 km
21) South Africa 1927 km
22) Morocco 1779 km
23) Belgium 1729 km
24) Turkey 1726 km
25) Australia 1700 km
26) Sweden 1700 km
27) Austria 1677 km
28) Switzerland 1638 km
29) Poland 1503 km ( + about 1300 under construction)
30) Malaysia 1471 km
31) United Arab Emirates 1392 km
32) Taiwan 1335 km
33)Algeria 1300 km
34) Hungary 1288 km
35) Venezuela 1256 km
36) Nigeria 1194 km
37) Czechia 1147 km
38) Croatia 1050 km
39) Griekenland 1030 km
40) Denmark 1010 km
Egypt 988 km ( i doubt of all these motorways are real motorways)
Syria 877 km
Russia 770 km
Iran 751 km
Belarus 750 km
Argentina 734 km
Finland 653 km
India 650 km
Cuba 638 km
Slovakia 605 km
Slovenia 600 km
Serbia 560 km
Oman 550 km
Lithuania 523 km
Bulgaria 444 km
Kuwait 420 km
Jordan 401 km
Indonesia 385 km (i thought they had more)
Norway 350 km
Qatar 333 km
Uzbekistan 332 km
El Salvador 327 km
Israel 320 km
Cyprus 276 km
Peru 276 km
Romania 266 km
Dominican Republic 263 km
Libya 262 km
Uruguay 252 km
Tunisia 249 km
Cameroon 240 km
Ukraine 200 km
Macedonia 192 km
Philippines 170 km ( i thought they had more)
Cote d’Ivoire 162 km
Kenya 153 km
Singapore 150 km
Lebanon 145 km
New Zealand 144 km
Latvia 132 km
Luxembourg 114 km
Myanmar 101 km
Vietnam 100 km (new motorways)
Estonia 75 km
Zambia 50 km
Ghana 35 km
Jamaica 33 km
Bahrain 30 km
Gabon 30 km
Guinea-Bissau 15 km

GRAND TOTAL: about 300.000 km

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
You must notice, that a motorway in Cameroon or The Dominican Republic can completely differ from what we seen in Europe and the United States. Length shown here can be seen as highly controversial for some countries. Most data token from wikipedia or the CIA Factbook, and, in some rare cases, i figured it out with maps.

Sometimes, wikipedia doesn’t seems to be very accurate, for example they say Australia has about 16000kms of Expressway, which seems to me as highly unlikely.

Any comments or corrections are very welcome.

Before i starting to figure this out, i thought, there were some 270.000 kilometers of motorway/expressways on our globe, and, it seems to be i was quite close to that.

Last edited by bebe.2006; November 1st, 2010 at 10:33 PM.
bebe.2006 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2010, 12:58 PM   #643
lucaf1
Registered User
 
lucaf1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,002
Likes (Received): 92

Quote:
Originally Posted by bebe.2006 View Post
What do you mean?


lucaf1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2010, 06:32 PM   #644
Verso
Islander
 
Verso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Ljubljana
Posts: 22,087
Likes (Received): 4749

If you're already making changes, you can change Slovenia to 600 km, it won't increase much anyway.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2010, 06:20 AM   #645
bebe.2006
Ekspert
 
bebe.2006's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Piotrków Tryb.
Posts: 2,961
Likes (Received): 466

So it means there are 6.621 km motorways in Italy. And then, there are also superstrades, right? Then the question is: How many superstrades do we have?
bebe.2006 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2010, 01:37 PM   #646
caserass
Normandie
 
caserass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 8,509
Likes (Received): 5156

Spain : 13872 km
caserass no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2010, 01:48 PM   #647
lucaf1
Registered User
 
lucaf1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,002
Likes (Received): 92

Quote:
Originally Posted by bebe.2006 View Post
So it means there are 6.621 km motorways in Italy. And then, there are also superstrades, right? Then the question is: How many superstrades do we have?
and then there are also raccordi autostradali.

Raccordi autostradali (total 418 km) are all dual carriageway, some are autostrada (277 km), some are strada extraurbana principale (aka superstrada) some are strada extraurbana secondaria (without emergency lane).

Exemple:

RA2 Salerno Avellino (autostrada) managed by ANAS

[IMG]http://i47.************/332qvyp.jpg[/IMG]

RA3 Firenze Siena (strada extraurbana secondaria even if dual carriageway with same restriction of superstrade) managed by ANAS
[IMG]http://i47.************/52kop4.jpg[/IMG]

RA5 Sicignano (A3)-Potenza (autostrada) managed by ANAS
[IMG]http://i50.************/se8zkm.jpg[/IMG]

RA6 Bettolle (A1) -Perugia managed by Anas
[IMG]http://i45.************/10ygm7l.jpg[/IMG]

RA9 A16 - Benevento (autostrada) managed by ANAS
[IMG]http://i47.************/2qiclsm.jpg[/IMG]

RA12 Chieti Pescara (autostrada) managed by ANAS
[IMG]http://i45.************/2s0bjpg.jpg[/IMG]

SO:

+6.661,3 km MOTORWAY
+277 KM of RACCORDI AUTOSTRADALI classified as MOTORWAY
+141 KM of RACCORDI AUTOSTRADALI with DUAL CARRIAGEWAY
+??? KM of STRADA EXTRAURBANA PRINCIPALE
+??? KM of STRADA EXTRAURBANA SECONDARIA with DUAL CARRIAGEWAY with/without emergency lane with/without access restriction (no bycicle, ... )

----------------------------------------------------------------------------


(C) Gigillo83 @ http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...uperstrade.svg

This map shows all autostrade/category A (green).

List:
http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autostrade_in_Italia

This map also shows all 17 RA-raccordi autostradali.
Raccordi autostradali are all two lanes and are all two carriageways.
Raccordi autostradali can be classified as:
*autostrada/category A (green)
*strada extraurbana principale/category B (blue)
*strada extraurbana secondaria/category C (blue) with two carriageways and with access restrictions. In this case the emergency lane is often absent.

List: http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raccord...i_autostradali

This map also shows superstrade longer than 30 km (blue).
Superstrada can be classified as:
*strada extraurbana principale (category B)
*strada extraurbana secondaria (category C) with two carriageways (with access restrictions or without; with emergency lane or without)

List:
Superstrade > 30km: http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superst...giate_separate

Last edited by lucaf1; October 29th, 2010 at 01:59 PM.
lucaf1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2010, 02:00 PM   #648
Eddard Stark
Keep your head
 
Eddard Stark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Bruxelles
Posts: 13,149
Likes (Received): 3834

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucaf1 View Post
and then there are also raccordi autostradali.

Raccordi autostradali (total 418 km) are all dual carriageway, some are autostrada (277 km), some are strada extraurbana principale (aka superstrada) some are strada extraurbana secondaria (without emergency lane).

Exemple:

RA2 Salerno Avellino (autostrada) managed by ANAS

[IMG]http://i47.************/332qvyp.jpg[/IMG]

RA3 Firenze Siena (strada extraurbana secondaria even if dual carriageway with same restriction of superstrade) managed by ANAS
[IMG]http://i47.************/52kop4.jpg[/IMG]

RA5 Sicignano (A3)-Potenza (autostrada) managed by ANAS
[IMG]http://i50.************/se8zkm.jpg[/IMG]

RA6 Bettolle (A1) -Perugia managed by Anas
[IMG]http://i45.************/10ygm7l.jpg[/IMG]

RA9 A16 - Benevento (autostrada) managed by ANAS
[IMG]http://i47.************/2qiclsm.jpg[/IMG]

RA12 Chieti Pescara (autostrada) managed by ANAS
[IMG]http://i45.************/2s0bjpg.jpg[/IMG]

SO:

+6.661,3 km MOTORWAY
+277 KM of RACCORDI AUTOSTRADALI classified as MOTORWAY
+141 KM of RACCORDI AUTOSTRADALI with DUAL CARRIAGEWAY
+??? KM of STRADA EXTRAURBANA PRINCIPALE
+??? KM of STRADA EXTRAURBANA SECONDARIA with DUAL CARRIAGEWAY with/without emergency lane with/without access restriction (no bycicle, ... )

----------------------------------------------------------------------------


(C) Gigillo83 @ http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...uperstrade.svg

This map shows all autostrade/category A (green).

List:
http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autostrade_in_Italia

This map also shows all 17 RA-raccordi autostradali.
Raccordi autostradali are all two lanes and are all two carriageways.
Raccordi autostradali can be classified as:
*autostrada/category A (green)
*strada extraurbana principale/category B (blue)
*strada extraurbana secondaria/category C (blue) with two carriageways and with access restrictions. In this case the emergency lane is often absent.

List: http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raccord...i_autostradali

This map also shows superstrade longer than 30 km (blue).
Superstrada can be classified as:
*strada extraurbana principale (category B)
*strada extraurbana secondaria (category C) with two carriageways (with access restrictions or without; with emergency lane or without)

List:
Superstrade > 30km: http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superst...giate_separate
of course there are many more superstrade, especially around towns.

Some +30km superstrade here are also lacking,as this is not very updated.
Eddard Stark no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2010, 08:42 PM   #649
pepin0
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 60
Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by caserass View Post
Spain : 13872 km
in 2006. Now over 14.689 km (+under construction)
pepin0 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2010, 10:43 PM   #650
bebe.2006
Ekspert
 
bebe.2006's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Piotrków Tryb.
Posts: 2,961
Likes (Received): 466

lucaf1, thank you for the detailed list for Italy. What we have now is: 6661 + 277 + 141 = 7079 km

+??? KM of STRADA EXTRAURBANA PRINCIPALE
+??? KM of STRADA EXTRAURBANA SECONDARIA

unknown

________________________________________________

pepin0 -done
bebe.2006 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2011, 08:01 AM   #651
big-dog
Registered User
 
big-dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 14,080
Likes (Received): 6840

China's expressways ends up being 74,000 km by the end of 2010.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bebe.2006 View Post

Let`s make some changes to the list by ChrisZwolle. All data from this thread.




Highways, motorways, expressways, freeways in length:

The modified Chris's list contains only dual carriageway (four or more lanes), grade separated (access controlled, limited-access) roads:

1) United States 100.000 km
2) China 75.000 km
3) Spain 14.689 km
4) Germany 14.185 km
5) France 13.786 km
6) Brazil 11.000 km
7) Italy 7.079 km
8) Japan 6.946 km
9) Canada 6.165 km
10) Mexico 6.144 km (growing fast)
11) United Kingdom 3421 km
12) Saudi Arabia 3348 km
13) Thailand 2885 km (are those all expressways?)
14) Chile 2653 km
15) Netherlands 2360 km
16) Iraq 2227 km (i don't think they are all motorways)
17) Pakistan 2225 km
18) Portugal 2002 km
19) Argentina 2000 km (aprox.)
20) South Korea 1996 km
21) South Africa 1927 km
22) Morocco 1779 km
23) Belgium 1729 km
24) Turkey 1726 km
25) Australia 1700 km
26) Sweden 1700 km
27) Austria 1677 km
28) Switzerland 1638 km
29) Poland 1503 km ( + about 1300 under construction)
30) Malaysia 1471 km
31) United Arab Emirates 1392 km
32) Taiwan 1335 km
33)Algeria 1300 km
34) Hungary 1288 km
35) Venezuela 1256 km
36) Nigeria 1194 km
37) Czechia 1147 km
38) Croatia 1050 km
39) Griekenland 1030 km
40) Denmark 1010 km
Egypt 988 km ( i doubt of all these motorways are real motorways)
Syria 877 km
Russia 770 km
Iran 751 km
Belarus 750 km
Argentina 734 km
Finland 653 km
India 650 km
Cuba 638 km
Slovakia 605 km
Slovenia 600 km
Serbia 560 km
Oman 550 km
Lithuania 523 km
Bulgaria 444 km
Kuwait 420 km
Jordan 401 km
Indonesia 385 km (i thought they had more)
Norway 350 km
Qatar 333 km
Uzbekistan 332 km
El Salvador 327 km
Israel 320 km
Cyprus 276 km
Peru 276 km
Romania 266 km
Dominican Republic 263 km
Libya 262 km
Uruguay 252 km
Tunisia 249 km
Cameroon 240 km
Ukraine 200 km
Macedonia 192 km
Philippines 170 km ( i thought they had more)
Cote d’Ivoire 162 km
Kenya 153 km
Singapore 150 km
Lebanon 145 km
New Zealand 144 km
Latvia 132 km
Luxembourg 114 km
Myanmar 101 km
Vietnam 100 km (new motorways)
Estonia 75 km
Zambia 50 km
Ghana 35 km
Jamaica 33 km
Bahrain 30 km
Gabon 30 km
Guinea-Bissau 15 km

GRAND TOTAL: about 300.000 km
big-dog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2011, 09:29 AM   #652
ChrisZwolle
Road user
 
ChrisZwolle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Zwolle
Posts: 43,612
Likes (Received): 19400

By 2050, China will likely have more motorways/expressways than the rest of the world combined.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2011, 04:57 PM   #653
hammersklavier
Feral
 
hammersklavier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 597
Likes (Received): 423

I dunno about that. More than 90% of China's population lives in the eastern half of the country. There is little need to build more than a handful of expressways out in Xinjiang or Tibet, e.g. those from the heartland out to Lhasa, Urumqi, Kashgar, etc., and ringroads around the most populous of those.
hammersklavier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2011, 05:01 PM   #654
Verso
Islander
 
Verso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Ljubljana
Posts: 22,087
Likes (Received): 4749

I doubt that; what about India and other countries? And don't forget that only eastern China will have many expressways, not western.

EDIT: hammersklavier was faster.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2011, 05:03 PM   #655
seem
Mornar bez mora
 
seem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Slovakia
Posts: 8,012
Likes (Received): 79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
If you're already making changes, you can change Slovenia to 600 km, it won't increase much anyway.
Nice. 600 km = but you have all main motorways and basically your motorway network is completed. We have a bit more than 600 km but we even don't have a motorway between two biggest cities. Just a second, yes we do! Via Hungary!

Next year it will be about 700 km I think.
seem no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2011, 05:07 PM   #656
ChrisZwolle
Road user
 
ChrisZwolle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Zwolle
Posts: 43,612
Likes (Received): 19400

The Chinese Expressway network is supposed to be 250.000 kilometers long.

India will probably develop a large network as well, but its geography won't require as much expressways as it will in China. At least 18 more east-west and 9 more north-south expressways are planned in China.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2011, 05:21 PM   #657
oliver999
starwar
 
oliver999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 6,148
Likes (Received): 1142

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muttie View Post
So a road like this one below is also counted?



Just checking....
not by chinese standard,because it's not closed both side.
__________________
项羽问:怎么样?
骑兵们敬佩地回答:和大王说的一样!
oliver999 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2011, 05:38 PM   #658
Verso
Islander
 
Verso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Ljubljana
Posts: 22,087
Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The Chinese Expressway network is supposed to be 250.000 kilometers long.
But if there're about 225,000 km of motorways outside China now, there will surely have been more than 250,000 km by 2050, don't you think?
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2011, 05:49 PM   #659
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin
 
g.spinoza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Torino
Posts: 9,506
Likes (Received): 2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by bebe.2006 View Post
lucaf1, thank you for the detailed list for Italy. What we have now is: 6661 + 277 + 141 = 7079 km

+??? KM of STRADA EXTRAURBANA PRINCIPALE
+??? KM of STRADA EXTRAURBANA SECONDARIA

unknown
Italian superstrade are a nightmare for those who like a little bit of clear classifications.

As soon as I have some spare time I will start counting the most important superstrade and try to give an approximate figure about their extensions.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2011, 05:52 PM   #660
Restless
Registered User
 
Restless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: London
Posts: 2,170
Likes (Received): 271

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muttie View Post
So a road like this one below is also counted?



Just checking....
I think the gradient looks too steep and the curves too extreme for an expressway. Plus it's not really grade separated and where are the breakdown lanes at the side?
Restless no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 03:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

tech management by Sysprosium