daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: So?
EU 388 79.51%
USA 100 20.49%
Voters: 488. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old August 14th, 2005, 06:37 PM   #241
great prairie

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtBk
but it will do little in solving traffic congestion.
look at the before and after. It will do a lot
great prairie no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old August 15th, 2005, 12:22 AM   #242
SkyView

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ning
Oh come'on give us a break with the whole "UK is better than the whole Europe & USA" bullshit. You've obviously never drived in Europe.
I'm getting tried of typical British felling "the whole Europe sucks except us, the mighty Brits".
Couldn't agree more.
That's the reason why many continental Europeans would feel much better without them.
SkyView no está en línea  
Old August 15th, 2005, 12:54 AM   #243
SkyView

Likes (Received): 13

I'm a European and I didn't have the opportunity to drive US highways, but from what I see, I would be glad to have one of those 5 stack highway(like that Dallas high five one) interchanges in my country anytime.
I'm so sick of those clover leafs like that Danish one somewhere down this thread.
To me these 5 stacks are real pieces of art, but you know Europeans in general have a psychic problem admitting this to Americans.
About road quality, can't judge but have the impression European roads are better. Although there are big differences between countries.
SkyView no está en línea  
Old August 15th, 2005, 01:19 AM   #244
great prairie

you can drive 50-60mph(faster if you have a car with great handling) on those ramps, it is much faster then a cloverleaf and you get quite a view
Old August 15th, 2005, 01:21 AM   #245
mlm
Member #109

Likes (Received): 115

/\ You know some people do not actually like to see their cities filled with these massive gray concrete pillars. I would at any time rather have one of these well intergrated cloverleafs that you hate so much. Or even better, build it underground if it's in a city.

I've driven through some of these huge stacks in the states, and they are surely impressive. None European highways can compete with that in, ehhh "impressiveness" (?). But pretty they ain't...atleast not in my book.
mlm no está en línea  
Old August 15th, 2005, 02:56 AM   #246
great prairie

I hate cloverleafs because they are so inefficient, they create a lot more pollution then a stack.
Old August 15th, 2005, 03:01 AM   #247
OettingerCroat
Disenfranchised

Likes (Received): 22

ok i dont think cloverleafs create any more pollution than a stack, but they are less speed efficient, as you have to slow down too much. but i dont like one more than the other, i think they both have their charm.
OettingerCroat no está en línea  
Old August 15th, 2005, 04:36 AM   #248
great prairie

more cars sitting in traffic for a longer time creates more pollution, if the High 5 interchange was a cloverleaf it would create more pollution.
Old August 15th, 2005, 05:22 AM   #249
titeness
/>>}WweX:AS<

USA highways vs European Highways would be much better as say North America vs Europe. The facts are plain, USA and Europe have similar total road mass, but the USA is 3x bigger and 4x less popolous, thus USA obviously wins easily, think about it its not that hard.
as/as.a\
sa.s
titeness no está en línea  
Old August 15th, 2005, 05:51 AM   #250
goschio
proud Kuffar

Likes (Received): 4260

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiccoplease
California has a real excuse, though -- the density of cars and the landscape are untypical for the US. However, when you drive over potholes in the lightly populated North of America, especially in Upstate NY, you really wonder why the standards are so low.
Thats a pretty antiamerican comment!

Matthew 7:25
And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.
goschio no está en línea  
Old August 15th, 2005, 08:12 AM   #251
OettingerCroat
Disenfranchised

explain to me whats antiamerican about that comment! I'm european, act and think of myself as being european, but born and lived my whole life in SF. lemme tell you, for a country with a per capita GDP as high as the US, US roads ARE terrible! the standards are better in Romania! chiccoplease's comment is entirely factual and true!
Old August 15th, 2005, 08:28 AM   #252
OettingerCroat
Disenfranchised

Quote:
Originally Posted by titeness
USA highways vs European Highways would be much better as say North America vs Europe. The facts are plain, USA and Europe have similar total road mass, but the USA is 3x bigger and 4x less popolous, thus USA obviously wins easily, think about it its not that hard.
how bout YOU put some thought into it:

im gonna make it STUPIDLY SIMPLE:

FIRST numbers are km of highways, SECOND is the geographic size of the country, THIRD is size of economy!

US= 6,400,000 km of highway : 3,700,000 sq. miles : $12 Trillion economy
US= 5:3:1

Germany= 230,000 km of highway : 120,000 sq. miles : $3 Trillion economy
Germany= 8:4:1

France= 900,000 km of highway : 200,000 sq. miles : $2 Trillion economy
France= 45:10:1

UK= 400,000 km of highway : 100,000 sq. miles : $2 Trillion economy
UK= 20:5:1

Italy= 500,000 km of highway : 100,000 sq miles : $2 Trillion Economy
Italy= 25:5:1

i put the economy size in like terms, to see which country has the most highways from the same amount of money.

from these numbers, it is EASY to see that all 4 of the european countries cover MORE land with EVEN MORE HIGHWAYS than the US does.

france in particular cover more than 3 times as much space with NINE TIMES AS MANY KM'S OF HIGHWAYS as the US does.

so, no, buddy, the US doesnt "obviously win easily."
Old August 15th, 2005, 08:58 AM   #253
mlm
Member #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by great prairie
more cars sitting in traffic for a longer time creates more pollution, if the High 5 interchange was a cloverleaf it would create more pollution.
If pollution is what worries you, you might want to start looking at other things like better public transportation systems instead.
mlm no está en línea  
Old August 15th, 2005, 10:32 AM   #254
goschio
proud Kuffar

Likes (Received): 4260

Quote:
Originally Posted by OettingerCroat
how bout YOU put some thought into it:

im gonna make it STUPIDLY SIMPLE:

FIRST numbers are km of highways, SECOND is the geographic size of the country, THIRD is size of economy!

US= 6,400,000 km of highway : 3,700,000 sq. miles : $12 Trillion economy
US= 5:3:1

Germany= 230,000 km of highway : 120,000 sq. miles : $3 Trillion economy
Germany= 8:4:1

France= 900,000 km of highway : 200,000 sq. miles : $2 Trillion economy
France= 45:10:1

UK= 400,000 km of highway : 100,000 sq. miles : $2 Trillion economy
UK= 20:5:1

Italy= 500,000 km of highway : 100,000 sq miles : $2 Trillion Economy
Italy= 25:5:1

i put the economy size in like terms, to see which country has the most highways from the same amount of money.

from these numbers, it is EASY to see that all 4 of the european countries cover MORE land with EVEN MORE HIGHWAYS than the US does.

france in particular cover more than 3 times as much space with NINE TIMES AS MANY KM'S OF HIGHWAYS as the US does.

so, no, buddy, the US doesnt "obviously win easily."

There must be some statistical interpretation problem. Germany has in no way only half as much highways as Britain. First the populatioin of the country is much bigger and second there is alot of transit traffic going through Germany. Almost all north-south and east-west traffic has to use the german highway system.

I think the term highway has different meanings in different countries. And beside that it says nothing about capacity.

Matthew 7:25
And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.

Last edited by goschio; August 15th, 2005 at 10:40 AM.
goschio no está en línea  
Old August 15th, 2005, 06:26 PM   #255
great prairie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlm
If pollution is what worries you, you might want to start looking at other things like better public transportation systems instead.
If you don't what your talking about don't bother posting. PT won't eliminate the need for it there is a rail line that runs next to the North-South freeway(high 5) and there is a stop at that interhcange. The train is normally packed with commuters during rush hour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OettingerCroat
I would like a source and that says nothing about the quality of the freeways or if they count highways.

Last edited by great prairie; August 15th, 2005 at 06:34 PM.
Old August 15th, 2005, 08:14 PM   #256
OettingerCroat
Disenfranchised

its a wonderful source called CIA.gov. and don't complain how its inaccurate, trust me, ITS ACCURATE.
Old August 15th, 2005, 09:39 PM   #257
mlm
Member #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by great prairie
If you don't what your talking about don't bother posting. PT won't eliminate the need for it there is a rail line that runs next to the North-South freeway(high 5) and there is a stop at that interhcange. The train is normally packed with commuters during rush hour.
Well I know that most big european cities have public transportation systems that are superior to what you see in most American cities, which means we don't need these huge jumbo highways/stacks in the cities. But that's a totally different storey...
mlm no está en línea  
Old August 15th, 2005, 09:45 PM   #258
streetscapeer
hmmm......

Likes (Received): 26047

I don't care abotu how many miles of highway each country, cause each county has enough, and God knows the US has more than enough highways already, imo.

in terms of quality of highways, the US has plenty, yes plenty, of highways that are as good as European hiighways. And Europe has plent of highways as deplorable as the US. With Europe having more high quality roads, for obvious reasons stated before. But to tell you the truth, most US highways are just fine.

But again, I will say, in terms of complexity, connectivity, sheer volume and size, the wonderful energy you feel, and civil engineering at it's loveliest, it's obviuosly the US, it's undeniable

streetscapeer no está en línea  
Old August 15th, 2005, 09:55 PM   #259
streetscapeer
hmmm......

Each American city has scores of great, elaborate interchanges that boggle the mind, but here are just a few from LA

Old August 15th, 2005, 09:57 PM   #260
streetscapeer
hmmm......

yup

Closed Thread