daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: So?
EU 388 79.51%
USA 100 20.49%
Voters: 488. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old August 16th, 2005, 05:56 PM   #281
great prairie

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by OettingerCroat
ok fine. thats what NEARLY ALL the roads are in america. here in SF, i shouldn't need to worry about breaking a wheel on my car becuase my commute to work takes over 15000 gaps in the concrete.

THATS JUST THE WAY FREEWAYS ARE BUILT IN AMERICA. they are made from concrete slabs 10-12" thick, placed one after the other. about 75% of these roads have NO pavement. originally, the roads were great, but now, through schorching summers and freezing winters, the roads deformed, the gaps widenned, and the roads are turds.

I have never had any of these problems (a broken wheel??). where did you get 75%, do you have a link that tells me how FREEWAYS ARE BUILT IN AMERICA. I mean all of it because that is what you claimed.

roads without PAVEMENT!!!! what the hell kinda state is california.
great prairie no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old August 16th, 2005, 06:48 PM   #282
sbarn

Likes (Received): 991

Quote:
ok fine. thats what NEARLY ALL the roads are in america. here in SF, i shouldn't need to worry about breaking a wheel on my car becuase my commute to work takes over 15000 gaps in the concrete.

THATS JUST THE WAY FREEWAYS ARE BUILT IN AMERICA. they are made from concrete slabs 10-12" thick, placed one after the other. about 75% of these roads have NO pavement. originally, the roads were great, but now, through schorching summers and freezing winters, the roads deformed, the gaps widenned, and the roads are turds.
Break your wheel in SF? Are you kidding me? What are you doing, running your car into the center divider? Haha!

I agree with you that many countries have higher surface quality than American roads. However, you make it sound like driving in the US is treacherous, which is stretching the truth. Also, as I stated early, road quality in the U.S. can vary greatly from state to state!!

75% of the roads in the U.S. ARE NOT CONCRETE... I'd like to see you prove that statistic. I bet this less then a third of the roads in the U.S. have concrete surfaces... think about all the rural interstates across the U.S. which are asphalt. Most of the freeways in the Bay Area (I grew up there and visit often from my current home of NYC) are being replaced with asphalt. Some examples of Bay Area roads:

I-880

Entrance to the Bay Bridge

I-680
Here's some concrete:

Now asphalt:

U.S. 101

I-280

I-580

U.S. 24

Interested in more Bay Area... I got these photos from here:
http://www.westcoastroads.com/califo...francisco.html
sbarn no está en línea  
Old August 16th, 2005, 07:05 PM   #283
sbarn

BTW... just for the record:

I think this interchange in Dallas is hideous:

Facinating... but hideous. I'll take NYC, London, or Paris over a city with this anyday! Sorry Dallas, just my opinion.
sbarn no está en línea  
Old August 16th, 2005, 07:50 PM   #284
OettingerCroat
Disenfranchised

Likes (Received): 22

highway 280 and highway 101 are in terrible quality man.... and the only freeway i know here in the bay thats paved is Highway 13, which is a BEAUTIFUL freeway. its is the only freeway in the bay that is paved from start to finish.

also 24 and 580 are really bad.... dude don't you see all the gaps in the road? then my bestest best friends at CalTrans just pour tar in between the cracks? and did you see the left breakdown lane? its (honestly, no joke) about 80% tar. but the road itself isn't. towards the caldecott tunnel the roads REALLY look depressing...

ok, im sorry, about 33% of the roads are unpaved.... jeez, hope this MUCH MORE MODEST number makes you feel better.

Highways:
total: 6,393,603 km
paved: 4,180,053 km (including 74,406 km of expressways)
unpaved: 2,213,550 km (2003)

and i wouldn't be dissing the place where i was born and lived my whole life for no reason. the roads are in really bad condition man.... but do you have some pics from Highway 13? that road is so damn beautiful... its seriously immaculate, in 100% perfect condition.

but you'll probably agree that the bay area got a large amount of those unpaved roads...

Last edited by OettingerCroat; August 16th, 2005 at 07:57 PM.
OettingerCroat no está en línea  
Old August 16th, 2005, 07:56 PM   #285
sbarn

Quote:
highway 280 and highway 101 are in terrible quality man.... and the only freeway i know here in the bay thats paved is Highway 13, which is a BEAUTIFUL freeway. its is the only freeway in the bay that is paved from start to finish.

also 24 and 580 are really bad.... dude don't you see all the gaps in the road? then my bestest best friends at CalTrans just pour tar in between the cracks? and did you see the left breakdown lane? its (honestly, no joke) about 80% tar. but the road itself isn't. towards the caldecott tunnel the roads REALLY look depressing...
Terrible quality... really?? Here are some pix of 280 (I grew up right near this highway), I wouldn't say it is in "terrible" quality:

sbarn no está en línea  
Old August 16th, 2005, 09:21 PM   #286
OettingerCroat
Disenfranchised

ok, now im not arguing with u, just saying. see all those rifts in the second picture? it causes constant bouncing in your car, man. the road may not have cracked yet, but it still rides very unstably.

highway 24

highway 101
Old August 16th, 2005, 09:37 PM   #287
sbarn

You didn't need to go to so much work to prove your point. I totally agree certain sections of Bay Area freeways could use a good repaving job. Many of the freeways in the Bay Area were constructed in the late 1960s and 1970s and have never been repaved since their construction. I have to mention that I've noticed many highways being repaved with asphalt, rather than being reconstructed with concrete. Those concrete freeways will become obsolete in the Bay Area (save overpasses and flyovers) in I bet 10 years...

This isn't always the case though, in Colorado they are replacing asphalt with concrete:

I-25 North of Denver in 2002:

I-25 North of Denver in 2005:

Roads in Colorado suck, IMO--you may be dissatisifed with the ones in the Bay Area, but I sure missed them when I lived in Denver. Anyway--I guess I'm going to go back to my point of the higher quality of road surfaces in many places in Europe... I'll take some tar patches and bumps in the road over having to pay at least 10 bucks in tolls like you would in Europe.
sbarn no está en línea  
Old August 16th, 2005, 10:55 PM   #288
DetoX

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Terrible quality... really?? Here are some pix of 280 (I grew up right near this highway), I wouldn't say it is in "terrible" quality:
Well, I would. Just imagine single car raid in those roads 200 km/h .. I think that this car would start to jump

I was raiding at this speed in Germany and felt no shake.
Old August 16th, 2005, 10:55 PM   #289
SkyView

Likes (Received): 13

Hey Oettinger, what's your point ?
You ever been driving on Belgian highways. Compared to most of them, these Cali ones look like a pool table.
And even when Dutch and German highways are better than Belgian, they too have numerous, with tar filled cracks.
This discussion make NO sense.
SkyView no está en línea  
Old August 16th, 2005, 11:07 PM   #290
sbarn

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetoX
Well, I would. Just imagine single car raid in those roads 200 km/h .. I think that this car would start to jump

Whats a car 'raid'?? I think your misusing that word...

Anyway, the fastest I've ever driven was on 280... 120 mi/hr ~ 200 km/hr. Shhh! Although it was late at night so there wasn't any traffic, the road can handle high speeds quite well.

Regardless, I think to poor surface quality of U.S. roads is now getting blown out of reality... yes concrete is loader than asphalt, get over it...also some tar sealant on the road is not going to make your car crash, unless you're a terrible driver.
sbarn no está en línea  
Old August 16th, 2005, 11:22 PM   #291
streetscapeer
hmmm......

Likes (Received): 26025

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetoX

well NO ONE goes 200 km/h on CITY highways in the US, which is something Europe lacks, CITY highways!!

ok...I think everyone agrees that Europe is slightly better on road quality (in general), the US has had to build more roads the past few decades (with our low density sprawl and all) than all of Europe, which means the US has certainly had to stretch our funds moreso than European countries. Moreover, US roads are certainly bigger, to handle larger volumes of traffic, increasing the cost.

That said, there is no need for bashers to come on this thread and say that US roads are so bad that everyone's tires and axles and cars and whatever are liable to break down, that's just a ludicrous comment. They're are plenty of highways that are just as nice as the nice European ones.

And on the other hand, there are plenty of European highways that are far from immaculate (it varies by region just like the US). I've seen 'em myself.
streetscapeer no está en línea  
Old August 16th, 2005, 11:22 PM   #292
sbarn

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyView
Hey Oettinger, what's your point ?
You ever been driving on Belgian highways. Compared to most of them, these Cali ones look like a pool table.
And even when Dutch and German highways are better than Belgian, they too have numerous, with tar filled cracks.
This discussion make NO sense.
True...

France: A8

Austria: A21

A22

Just to show that tarfilled cracks are ubiquitous worldwide...
sbarn no está en línea  
Old August 16th, 2005, 11:29 PM   #293
streetscapeer
hmmm......

Oh no, how could anyone drive on a road in such a deplorable condition

Old August 16th, 2005, 11:37 PM   #294
sbarn

i agree...
sbarn no está en línea  
Old August 16th, 2005, 11:48 PM   #295
OettingerCroat
Disenfranchised

yes belgian roads are in real bad shape..... i've seen em.

the highways that go through/around paris, vienna, even zagreb, are all in perfect condition. i was comparing Bay Area (SF Metro Area) motorway to city motorways in cities like those i just mentioned. hehe, you don't even wanna see US rural freeways. most are only two lanes wide, some are 4 lanes wide, and some are just gravel. fine gravel, not like boulders, lol, but still just bare gravel.
Old August 16th, 2005, 11:49 PM   #296
gronier
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

European Highways Rock!! (although massachussets highways look very european)

Autobahn:

gronier no está en línea  
Old August 16th, 2005, 11:50 PM   #297
OettingerCroat
Disenfranchised

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetscapeer
Oh no, how could anyone drive on a road in such a deplorable condition

just FYI for those who have never driven around the bay, IM SERIOUS, about 50 meters beyond the cars in this photograph, about right where the overpass is, the road goes back to concrete
Old August 17th, 2005, 12:09 AM   #298
OettingerCroat
Disenfranchised

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetscapeer
ok...I think everyone agrees that Europe is slightly better on road quality (in general), the US has had to build more roads the past few decades (with our low density sprawl and all) than all of Europe, which means the US has certainly had to stretch our funds moreso than European countries. Moreover, US roads are certainly bigger, to handle larger volumes of traffic, increasing the cost.
UHHHH, HELLO?!?!! ARE YOU BLIND?!?!! A few pages ago, i showed how the US spends 9 TIMES LESS THAN FRANCE ON ITS ROADS!
Old August 17th, 2005, 12:18 AM   #299
streetscapeer
hmmm......

Quote:
UHHHH, HELLO?!?!! ARE YOU BLIND?!?!! A few pages ago, i showed how the US spends 9 TIMES LESS THAN FRANCE ON ITS ROADS!

Ok so maybe I'm wrong, my other comments still stand though!!

and it still doesn't change the fact that you're trolling!!
Old August 17th, 2005, 12:29 AM   #300
streetscapeer
hmmm......

Quote:
yes belgian roads are in real bad shape..... i've seen em.

the highways that go through/around paris, vienna, even zagreb, are all in perfect condition. i was comparing Bay Area (SF Metro Area) motorway to city motorways in cities like those i just mentioned.
NO....You were comparing ALL of America, You made a very general statement

Quote:
if u can drive over a gap in the UNPAVED concrete every 5-10 meters, your road is a turd. and thats what the roads are in america

And you don't even speak English proficiently, I doubt you know our country very well. "Your road is a turd," who says that lol. Feel free to keep bashing, though.

Here's another troll comment....has anyone said this about the lesser (not bad) roads in Europe. I think not.

Quote:
you measure if its good by how many times you come home with a sore back and chipped teeth from the piece-of-shit roads you've been driving on.

Closed Thread