daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: So?
EU 388 79.51%
USA 100 20.49%
Voters: 488. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old August 18th, 2005, 06:22 PM   #341
edolen1
Monkey business

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architorture
the british roads look good....but i think the negative is flipped or something on that image......................
I'm not sure if that was a joke, heh, but just in case: Britons drive on the left..

I share the view of many that it's just not possible to compare European and American highways in general, they range from "excellent" to "wish I took the normal road" on both sides of the Atlantic.

I've noticed this in a post a while back and I don't think it's been debated yet.. Someone mentioned the difference in night driving in Europe and America. I'm not sure what the differences are, but that's where I hope someone else might enlighten me..
edolen1 no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old August 18th, 2005, 08:45 PM   #342
nothingman
BANNED

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tritown
That is one fine piece of asphalt. If that is well representative of the UK's highways, that would be awesome.
Surface-wise, yes. Although I think I'm right in saying that the M60 around Manchester is a pretty new motorway (at least stretches of it are). Manchester's motorway system is probably the best urban motorway network in the UK.
nothingman no está en línea  
Old August 21st, 2005, 01:30 AM   #343
Liam-Manchester

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothingman
Surface-wise, yes. Although I think I'm right in saying that the M60 around Manchester is a pretty new motorway (at least stretches of it are). Manchester's motorway system is probably the best urban motorway network in the UK.
You are right about the M60. That section of it in the picture is one of the newer parts and the road surface couldn't be better. Generally the surfaces are excellent over here, although I would agree with what others have said about extra lanes being needed on certain motorways in the UK and also the long distances between exits. Obviously with the M60 being new they have accommodated the traffic well, as most of it has 4 lanes.
Liam-Manchester no está en línea  
Old August 22nd, 2005, 06:23 PM   #344
sbarn

Likes (Received): 991

Quote:
Originally Posted by aatbloke
I've visited some 33 of the lower 48 states and found most to be rather similar, although as I've said before it can vary even within a few miles. The reasons are there and perfectly understandable. Florida had some of the most consistent good tarmac, but sadly the worst drivers.
I have been to about as many states and have found that the worst roads in the U.S. are actually in the Northeast and the Great Lakes region... thats why I was cautioning you to be careful comparing all roads in the U.S. to those found in a particular region of the country. As I mentioned earlier, I think the best freeways/highways in the U.S. are found in the sunbelt states and the far west.

I agree with you however, that in general the highways in Europe have a superior surface quality. There are some excellent stretches of highway found in America, just as there are some horrible quality ones found in Europe.
sbarn no está en línea  
Old August 26th, 2005, 06:40 PM   #345
Minato ku

Lyon peripherique freeway

highway in Reunion island indian ocean (france)

tamarin freewayreunion under in construction euro 700 millions

[IMG]http://www.reunion.equipement.gouv.fr/rdt/trace/PK0-6/viaduc_st-
paul/images/Image3%20(Small).jpg[/IMG]
Old August 26th, 2005, 07:22 PM   #346
great prairie

Quote:
Originally Posted by minato ku
Lyon peripherique freeway
Hairpin turns, traffic circles, cloverleafs, small lanes... has to be a very dangerous/congested intersection.
great prairie no está en línea  
Old August 27th, 2005, 06:25 PM   #347
aatbloke
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by great prairie
Hairpin turns, traffic circles, cloverleafs, small lanes... has to be a very dangerous/congested intersection.

Not when everyone isn't in an F-150 or an Explorer. Roundabouts also work exceptionally well, assuming you know what lane discipline is.
aatbloke no está en línea  
Old August 27th, 2005, 06:55 PM   #348
great prairie

no they make you slow down way too much which causes congestion
Old August 28th, 2005, 05:39 AM   #349
aatbloke
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Hey, you sound like the expert...tell me of your experiences driving in various countries where roundabouts are prevalent. Personally I find traffic lights at the end of each block far slower and cause far greater congestion.
Old August 28th, 2005, 06:02 AM   #350
sequoias

Likes (Received): 14

Try driving a small roundabout with a limo
sequoias no está en línea  
Old August 28th, 2005, 12:28 PM   #351
eomer
Bring Constantinople back

Likes (Received): 4728

Quote:
Absolutly wrong: roundabouts are better than trafic lights.
A l'aube du cinquième jour, regardez vers l'est
eomer no está en línea  
Old August 28th, 2005, 12:45 PM   #352
pricemazda
Titter ye not.

Likes (Received): 1384

the whole idea of roundabouts is they allow the traffic to keep following without the stop/start of traffic lights.
Old August 28th, 2005, 01:14 PM   #353
demanjo

they do rock indeed.
Old August 28th, 2005, 10:38 PM   #354
great prairie

Quote:
Originally Posted by eomer
Absolutly wrong: roundabouts are better than trafic lights.
I am talking about freeway-freeway
Old August 29th, 2005, 07:59 PM   #355
aatbloke
Registered Abuser

Quote:
I am talking about freeway-freeway
Tell me, in your driving experience which roundabouts did you actually find creating major congestion?
Old August 29th, 2005, 11:54 PM   #356
great prairie

We don't have em' in texas but in any kind of freeway to freeway interchange it is pretty dangerous and much more likely to be the cause of congestion because of the slower speed and constant turning, looking out for other drivers etc.... Actually there a few roundabouts in older parts of texas and they are very easy but they don't work in Large American cities, I prefer traffic lights in the suburbs due to the volume of traffic and being able to drive thru an intersection not around.
Old August 30th, 2005, 05:50 AM   #357
aatbloke
Registered Abuser

Quote:
We don't have em' in texas but in any kind of freeway to freeway interchange it is pretty dangerous and much more likely to be the cause of congestion because of the slower speed and constant turning, looking out for other drivers etc.... Actually there a few roundabouts in older parts of texas and they are very easy but they don't work in Large American cities, I prefer traffic lights in the suburbs due to the volume of traffic and being able to drive thru an intersection not around.
In Europe, where traffic congestion gets severe, roundabouts work better ebcause they keep traffic flowing. Some motorway roundabouts also have traffic lights to slow up that flow for more equal access during rushhour periods.

What's your experience of roundabouts in Europe?
Old August 30th, 2005, 01:46 PM   #358
nick_taylor
BANNED

Location: Portsmouth (term time); Bishop's Stortford (out of term time)
Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Roundabouts tend to have greater handling capacites because the traffic is constantly moving. Safety studies constantly back this up and the number of accidents and congestion have fallen at junctions where previously there were just traffic lights which were replaced by a roundabout.

I have no idea how many roundabouts there are in the UK (the first modern versions were found in the UK), there could be tens of thousands, but they are becoming increasingly favoured in the US over the traditional junctions.

nick_taylor no está en línea  
Old August 30th, 2005, 02:47 PM   #359
MCarr
Future after Past

Likes (Received): 4

There are less accidents on roundabouts because on junctions with traffic lights you are supposed to stop at the red light, but you can just move on without even break your car, on a roundabout you always have to stop or slowdown even if you see no traffic, so thats why you have less accidents on roundabouts.

The challenge is to find the right mix of reliability and flexibility and the right mix of tried-and-true techniques with novel but promising ideas.
MCarr no está en línea  
Old August 30th, 2005, 03:26 PM   #360
Goku

Likes (Received): 8

Canadian Highways

I think Canadian Highways are world class highways...

Here is the pic taken from my apartment.
Highway 403 near Hamilton, Ontario

PLEASE DONT DRINK AND DRIVE
Goku no está en línea  

Closed Thread