daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: So?
EU 388 79.51%
USA 100 20.49%
Voters: 488. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old August 30th, 2005, 09:14 PM   #361
great prairie

Likes (Received): 0

great prairie no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old August 31st, 2005, 01:00 AM   #362
KIWIKAAS

Likes (Received): 751

The North American version of the roundabout in suburban areas is the ''4-way (sometimes more) Stop''. All traffic entering the intersection must stop. The vehicle that was first at the intersection has right of way. This has also been adopted elsewhere but with a standard right of way for traffic from the right instead of the first come, first go. Roundabouts are great but arent so good pedestrian intensive areas.
KIWIKAAS no está en línea  
Old September 3rd, 2005, 02:35 AM   #363
Minato ku

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick-taylor
Roundabouts tend to have greater handling capacites because the traffic is constantly moving. Safety studies constantly back this up and the number of accidents and congestion have fallen at junctions where previously there were just traffic lights which were replaced by a roundabout.

I have no idea how many roundabouts there are in the UK (the first modern versions were found in the UK), there could be tens of thousands, but they are becoming increasingly favoured in the US over the traditional junctions.

in paris roundabouts are very dangerous and congesting
parisiens are bad driver
Old September 3rd, 2005, 03:31 AM   #364
sequoias

Likes (Received): 14

Seattle got tons of minature roundabouts at street intersections in residential area. They don't have stop signs and they go around roundabouts, not all have it. Some have it some don't have it. The roundabout islands have trees and flowers and some plants in the middle to make it look natural.
sequoias no está en línea  
Old September 3rd, 2005, 03:38 AM   #365
VansTripp
BANNED

Likes (Received): 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by minato ku
parisiens are bad driver
Wow, It's very useless roundabout in America.
VansTripp no está en línea  
Old September 3rd, 2005, 04:18 AM   #366
Rapid
Skybar Posts: 24,564

Likes (Received): 4

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I drive on one of the largest highways in the world, AND the most congested one!
Yes, its the notorious 401 in the Southern Ontario area!
Its allways congested, just like everyone's sinuses in the winter, and when your driving on it in the winter, it doesnt feel safe, it feels like your gonna slip off because of weak traction, and all of the salt used to keep ice from forming. The deposits from this salt ruines your car and promotes rusting (but i guess thats the case in most cold countries).

Speed isnt so good either. It takes me approx an hour to get to Toronto from Hamilton via 403 (QEW). Nearly the same distance, it took me 45 mins to get to Birmingham from Banbury, in the UK via M40.

BUT! I also travelled on the M1, and its does get congested at times, and when it does, its terrible.
Rapid no está en línea  
Old September 4th, 2005, 01:33 AM   #367
great prairie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick-taylor
Safety studies constantly back this up and the number of accidents and congestion have fallen at junctions where previously there were just traffic lights which were replaced by a roundabout.
since you didn't supply a link I have to assume your full of bullshit...
great prairie no está en línea  
Old September 4th, 2005, 04:34 AM   #368
miamicanes

Likes (Received): 181

I'm sorry, but no roundabout with a diameter less than a half mile could EVER safely handle the intersection of a six-lane and an eight-lane road (say, US-1 at NE 163 Street in Miami, or Pines Boulevard at S. Flamingo Road in Pembroke Pines, FL). Now, if you tunneled one, bridged the other, and used a ground-level roundabout for cars going from one road to the other it would likely work well. But I'd argue that a SPUI would ultimately work just as well and take a lot less room to build. In any case, I shudder to think how many accidents would take place at a simple at-grade roundabout for either of the two intersections I mentioned above. Can we say, "Daily Carnage" and "wholesale fatalities"?

I've heard that out west, some Interstates in places like Wyoming were built with quasi-roundabouts in areas where there's simply never going to be enough traffic to justify the cost of a full interchange. Basically, the few drivers who need to cross the interstate turn right onto it, have a mile or so to make it to the left lane, then exit to the left on a curving lane that promptly merges back into the lanes going back in the other direction, leaving him a half mile or so to make it to the right lane to exit and continue in the original direction.

Roundabouts work well in residential neighborhoods (they scare away drivers who'd otherwise take shortcuts through them) and where roads with minimal traffic meet, but they simply can't handle the sheer volume of high-speed traffic that exists at the intersections of major roads in America.

Last edited by miamicanes; September 4th, 2005 at 04:48 AM.
miamicanes no está en línea  
Old September 7th, 2005, 08:07 PM   #369
nick_taylor
BANNED

Location: Portsmouth (term time); Bishop's Stortford (out of term time)
Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by great prairie
since you didn't supply a link I have to assume your full of bullshit...
Its common knowledge that roundabouts are safer!

http://www.drivers.com/article/334/

"The physical configuration of a modern roundabout, with a deflected entry and yield-at-entry, forces a driver to reduce speed during the approach, entry, and movement within the roundabout," the center says.

"This is contrary to an intersection where many drivers are encouraged by a green or yellow light to accelerate to get across the intersection quickly and to 'beat the red light' and contrary to old traffic circles where tangent approaches also encourage, or at least allow, high-speed entries."

Another important safety factor is that the only movement at an entry and an exit of a roundabout is a right turn, thus reducing the potential frequency and severity of accidents compared to accidents typically occurring during left turns and when traffic crosses an intersection in perpendicular directions.

It is thought that one-way circular intersections were invented by a French architect, Eugene Henard, in 1877. During the same period, the American architect William Eno was also proposing his plan for small circles to alleviate traffic congestion in New York City. Since the adoption of a yield-at-entry regulation in 1966 by Great Britain and in1983 by France, there has been overwhelming interest and research in roundabouts because of the simplicity of their design and operation and particularly because of their safety.

"Enthusiasm for the safety and high capacity of roundabouts has resulted in a huge increase in the number of roundabouts," the center adds. "By contrast, as growing traffic demand causes nonconforming traffic circles to fail, they are converted to other types of intersections."

In modern times, the Netherlands has experienced spectacular growth of roundabouts beginning in the late 1980s. In only six years, approximately 400 roundabouts were built. The reasons given are: a drastic reduction in serious crashes; lower driving speeds; improved pedestrian crossing facilities; elimination of traffic signals, and high capacity with more than 2,000 motor vehicles and several hundred bicycles and mopeds per hour in one-lane roundabouts.

TFHRC says the first modern roundabouts in the USA were built in the spring of 1990 in Summerlin, a rapidly growing planned community on the west side of Las Vegas. With rapid growth of the surrounding community, daily traffic has increased from very low flows to about 7,000 vehicles in the north roundabout and to about 11,000 vehicles in the south roundabout. Only four accidents have been reported at the two roundabouts over their five-year history.

The first modern roundabout on the California state highway system was installed by the city of Santa Barbara in 1992. The roundabout replaced an intersection of five two-lane streets regulated by stop signs. The old intersection averaged four accidents per year. Since installation of the roundabout, accidents have averaged 2.1 per year, with only five accidents reported in a 28-month period.
nick_taylor no está en línea  
Old September 9th, 2005, 01:57 AM   #370
sargeantcm
Hee Hee!

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Facial
Well, the thing is all about design and policy. I, for one, know that the German Autobahn is twice as thick as the average American freeway.
Highway engineer speaking - Pavement thickness means absolutely nothing if the material below it is garbage.
sargeantcm no está en línea  
Old September 13th, 2005, 03:45 AM   #371
jd_bond
BANNED

American highways carry more weight than their european couterparts, don't they?
jd_bond no está en línea  
Old October 22nd, 2005, 03:20 AM   #372
ranny fash
quacked

Likes (Received): 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by minato ku
parisiens are bad driver
LOL, what the hell is going on there?! thats ridiculous! it doesnt even make any sense. what are they all trying to do?!?
Old October 22nd, 2005, 02:17 PM   #373
Minato ku

it s Parisian
Parisian are very bad driver
Old October 22nd, 2005, 02:23 PM   #374
thunder head
BANNED

holy crap they'd be their for hours ripping their hair out....
thunder head no está en línea  
Old October 22nd, 2005, 10:54 PM   #375
er_juli

I enjoy seeing photos of american and european freeways while you discuss. ("Mine-is-bigger! discussion")
er_juli no está en línea  
Old October 23rd, 2005, 04:33 AM   #376
Wee-Eck
yeah I know!

Just came back from Miami. The roads there are fantastic. The surface is as smooth as anything, it was a real pleasure driving there.
Old October 23rd, 2005, 05:49 PM   #377
er_juli

IMO this thread would be called "Diferences between american and european highways".

What dou you think?
er_juli no está en línea  
Old October 24th, 2005, 09:48 AM   #378
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

I don't know about anyone else but I love highways in the U.S. We've got the best system in the world. We have freeways that go to the heart of our big cities. We still have our old U.S. highway system that serves smaller cities and most states do a pretty good job with their state highway systems. I bet we have more road to maintain than any other country in the world. Plus we have freeways more than 2000 miles long like Interstate 10, Interstate 80 and 90. Who can beat that? I love our highway system in the U.S. and it's getting better and better.

Plus Bush signed that new transportation bill so I can't wait to see improvements start coming to life through that. Hell even Interstate 95 in Connecticut was fairly smooth when I was there a few weeks ago.
FM 2258 no está en línea  
Old October 30th, 2005, 12:00 AM   #379
Gamble

401 toronto
Gamble no está en línea  
Old October 30th, 2005, 01:00 AM   #380
Czas na Żywiec
Globetrekker

Likes (Received): 1046

Any highway leading west from the Front Range in Colorado, but the only other highways I've driven on have been through Nebraska, Iowa, and Illinois, so Colorado by far has the nicest scenery.
Czas na Żywiec no está en línea  

Closed Thread