daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: So?
EU 388 79.51%
USA 100 20.49%
Voters: 488. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old May 21st, 2005, 10:04 PM   #21
DrJoe
Registered Idiot

Likes (Received): 8

^ That is just a normal ass highway, I dont see how it is any better than the US, at all...

Sponsored Links
Old May 21st, 2005, 10:04 PM   #22
eddyk
Registered Abuser

Likes (Received): 1509

Nothing special...see...we have clusters aswell!

Visit Grantham Linconshire
eddyk no está en línea  
Old May 21st, 2005, 10:08 PM   #23
lindenthaler
ubahnista

Likes (Received): 175

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJoe
^ That is just a normal ass highway, I dont see how it is any better than the US, at all...
We dont need jumbo bumbo bamba dumbo 20+ lanes highway, lanes aren't measure. It s better because of better quality of road, it s not full like in USA (Europe has much better and active railway system than US). So even if we would have 20 lanes highway it d be better than in US, simply because citizens here pays very high taxes (ecological taxes, oil taxes...), from money of taxes the roads are very well maintenanted.
lindenthaler no está en línea  
Old May 21st, 2005, 10:19 PM   #24
King-Tomislav
objective observer

Likes (Received): 1

Croatia
Old May 21st, 2005, 10:32 PM   #25
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevan
We dont need jumbo bumbo bamba dumbo 20+ lanes highway, lanes aren't measure. It s better because of better quality of road, it s not full like in USA (Europe has much better and active railway system than US). So even if we would have 20 lanes highway it d be better than in US, simply because citizens here pays very high taxes (ecological taxes, oil taxes...), from money of taxes the roads are very well maintenanted.
Well yeah, there's a difference there then. America has many cars instead of using trains, so it is necessary for large highways rather than better and more extensive railway systems. Plus the highway need to be X amount of lanes wide every X amount of miles so that planes could use the highway as a landing/take off strips in times of emergency.
spyguy no está en línea  
Old May 21st, 2005, 10:33 PM   #26
lindenthaler
ubahnista

Jupp, i am sure if u would pay much higher road/transport/eco/oil taxes that highways will have better quality than now.
Old May 21st, 2005, 10:43 PM   #27
LtBk

Likes (Received): 3707

Adding many lanes on congested freeways doesn't solve traffic congestion, improving PT and driving skills does solve it.
LtBk está en línea ahora  
Old May 21st, 2005, 10:47 PM   #28
spyguy
Expert

Convincing people to use public transportation and giving them incentives is the only way you will be able to change the public's love of cars. And even then I can't imagine buses and trains going into every suburb- it would ruin existing communities and cost way too much money to be worthwhile.
spyguy no está en línea  
Old May 21st, 2005, 10:52 PM   #29
lindenthaler
ubahnista

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy999
Convincing people to use public transportation and giving them incentives is the only way you will be able to change the public's love of cars. And even then I can't imagine buses and trains going into every suburb- it would ruin existing communities and cost way too much money to be worthwhile.
Why not ? Every bigger german city has its s-bahn (suburban railway) and bus stations in every suburbs, and it works perfect It s question of implementing it
Old May 21st, 2005, 11:02 PM   #30
falconi

Likes (Received): 1

turkish highway!

here are more
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...7&page=1&pp=20
falconi no está en línea  
Old May 21st, 2005, 11:04 PM   #31
pricemazda
Titter ye not.

Likes (Received): 1384

I have to say from my travels I was really surprised at the bad quality and clear underfunding of motorways in the US. I remember seeing billboards with a poster on it covered in band aids and the message read 'this is no way to fix New York States roads'.

Europe's roads generally speaking are of a much higher quality.
Old May 21st, 2005, 11:08 PM   #32
spyguy
Expert

Hmm...I could see both buses and trains being used for developing suburbs, but for existing communities it would be too much hassle with little gain. I'm just imagining it right now in my community; as it is right now, most trains run from the interior of Chicago through different neighborhoods and into suburbs, almost moving in a linear fashion . To imagine the trains then crossing into other towns is kinda scary I mean, not only would there be a lot of demolition and diverting of roads and construction but I wonder how the people who spent anywhere from $600,000 to a few million on a home would feel and do in order to stop such programs. So then you go into legal battles and such that make projects more costly and are time consuming. And even if the trains are built, very few people need to go from one suburb to the next. The only reasons would be shopping (you'd need to carry all your bags onto the train) and visiting friends and family (but that is flawed as well because of how spread out the 'burbs are).

But the bus implementation is an easier solution that is somewhat already there but just lacks many stops and stations.
spyguy no está en línea  
Old May 21st, 2005, 11:09 PM   #33
sbarn

Likes (Received): 991

It really depends on the state. Certain states have relatively high quality roads, such as California, Texas, Nevada (gambling revenues), Georgia-- to name a few. Others, especially those up north with harsher weather, have terrible road qualities.
sbarn no está en línea  
Old May 21st, 2005, 11:12 PM   #34
pricemazda
Titter ye not.

Likes (Received): 1384

But think of Norway, Iceland, Finland et al, they have pretty harsh weather.
Old May 21st, 2005, 11:15 PM   #35
lindenthaler
ubahnista

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy999
Hmm...I could see both buses and trains being used for developing suburbs, but for existing communities it would be too much hassle with little gain. I'm just imagining it right now in my community; as it is right now, most trains run from the interior of Chicago through different neighborhoods and into suburbs, almost moving in a linear fashion . To imagine the trains then crossing into other towns is kinda scary I mean, not only would there be a lot of demolition and diverting of roads and construction but I wonder how the people who spent anywhere from $600,000 to a few million on a home would feel and do in order to stop such programs. So then you go into legal battles and such that make projects more costly and are time consuming. And even if the trains are built, very few people need to go from one suburb to the next. The only reasons would be shopping (you'd need to carry all your bags onto the train) and visiting friends and family (but that is flawed as well because of how spread out the 'burbs are).

But the bus implementation is an easier solution that is somewhat already there but just lacks many stops and stations.
Now that is understandable. It was mistake of city planers, because in america main idea was that everyone could use cars, to choose their ways in their freedom, in principe it s very cool idea (car driving in US is part of american dream !!), but what ll happen when everyone get a car ? Planers didn't thought about it. In eur. countries train (tram) systems are for decades there, it s typical here, first build a suburban railway line than suburbs around it, or existing suburbs allready have empty gaps or canals for future railway lines there. Everyone knows that trams have very long history in europe so i dont need to write much about it now I can maybe say that usage of public transport and cars in europe are really fifty-fifty (i own a car, but i use railway and public transport by far much more than car), while in USA it s higher value for cars.
Old May 21st, 2005, 11:38 PM   #36
spyguy
Expert

Yeah, that's true. In the US, railways were what established major cities while the suburbs were only created around the end of WWII, when Americans were finally able to purchase automobiles and move into more spacious houses (returning GIs + baby boom) instead of cramped apartments, eventually leading to the demise of the American city in the 1950s. Since less and less people were living in the cities at that time, trains were setup for the commuters who'd work in the city in the morning and return home in the suburbs at night.
spyguy no está en línea  
Old May 21st, 2005, 11:58 PM   #37
eusebius
BANNED

Likes (Received): 12

Autobahnen in NL:

Utrecht

Den Haag

Arnhem
eusebius no está en línea  
Old May 22nd, 2005, 02:19 AM   #38
asws

Likes (Received): 0

Here in Canada, the freeze thaw tempratures really decimate the roads, and a fresh pavement may last only 4-5 years without it start to crack. It is also expensive to pave all of the land Canada has.

Here is a example of a freshly paved road (Alberta)

After only about 10-12 years (Alberta)

As you can see, in Canada, and in the northern US states, it is quite expensive to maintain the roads at 'freshly paven' status, and that is obvously expressed in the quality of the interstates, and the Canadian Major Highways. (we have much smaller population density, and lower taxes)
asws no está en línea  
Old May 22nd, 2005, 03:00 AM   #39
CAESARS-PALACe

In Rome there is this big elevated highway that runs through a part of the city , it will be demolished within a few months and replaced with a beautiful urban tunnel

Tangenziale Est :

There were some proposals to find another purpose for "the monster", some were quite interesting :

this one proposed making a garden of the highway :

making a building out of it :

constructing houses on it :

another integrated building :

CAESARS-PALACe no está en línea  
Old May 22nd, 2005, 02:01 PM   #40
Jonesy55
Mooderator

Likes (Received): 20281

I like this motorway in Osaka, Japan which actually goes through the middle of a building!

Jonesy55 no está en línea  

Closed Thread