daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: So?
EU 388 79.51%
USA 100 20.49%
Voters: 488. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old April 13th, 2006, 01:41 AM   #401
LtBk

Likes (Received): 3705

The EU.
LtBk no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old April 13th, 2006, 01:51 AM   #402
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18129

Regional trains and public transit systems in the cities - EY

Airports - low-cost aviation has greatly transformed travelling in Europe, moreso than in the US

Highways - the Interstate system is much larger than their European counterparts

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea  
Old April 13th, 2006, 02:00 AM   #403
chiccoplease

Likes (Received): 8

Unfortunately, the US infrastructure doesn't even come close to that of the lesser developed European countries. The quality of the facilities is appalling and I just don't understand the absence of trains in densely populated areas.
chiccoplease no está en línea  
Old April 13th, 2006, 02:57 AM   #404
TOM123
TOM123

Likes (Received): 0

Hi Gronier!!

dont u have anything to keep u busy?

first 'US state with the WORST highways??' and now this crap!

go post these craps in the indian or chinese section. they have lots of ppl to keep ur thread busy.

Mods plzzzzzz dont allow this kind of crappy threads. It sucks.
TOM123 no está en línea  
Old April 13th, 2006, 02:58 AM   #405
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

The United States. Like my title says, "United States is the best".........well when it comes to highways.
FM 2258 no está en línea  
Old April 13th, 2006, 03:02 AM   #406
DonQui
BANNED

Likes (Received): 10

Hands down the EU (EU 15)
DonQui no está en línea  
Old April 13th, 2006, 03:02 AM   #407
DonQui
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM 2258
The United States. Like my title says, "United States is the best."
DonQui no está en línea  
Old April 13th, 2006, 03:04 AM   #408
DonQui
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiccoplease
Unfortunately, the US infrastructure doesn't even come close to that of the lesser developed European countries. The quality of the facilities is appalling and I just don't understand the absence of trains in densely populated areas.

I take it someone has never actually been to the US.
DonQui no está en línea  
Old April 13th, 2006, 03:07 AM   #409
premutos
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

the US in infraestructure is horrible

it's not functional

in most cities the concept of public transportation is unknown and you cant go anywhere without a car
premutos no está en línea  
Old April 13th, 2006, 03:10 AM   #410
TeKnO_Lx

Likes (Received): 282

i donīt see one thing where U.s is better on infraestructure.. probably the fact Atlanta Harstfield is the n1 ai~rprot in the world but thatīs preety much it
we have everything,and much more densified on a minor scale, even highways..
Old April 13th, 2006, 03:19 AM   #411
chiccoplease

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQui

I take it someone has never actually been to the US.
I'm the last person that you should accuse of Anti-Americanism.
Old April 13th, 2006, 03:24 AM   #412
DonQui
BANNED

Quote:
I'm the last person that you should accuse of Anti-Americanism.
You point to a lack of any trains. New York, Boston, Chicago, Philadelphia, and Washington (if you look at the metro as a hybrid S-Bahn type system) all have extensive commuter rail systems. San Francisco as well has a decent commuter rail system in teh from of Bart, plus street cars and a couple of diesel commuter rail lines.

You will never get me to admit that the US has a better infrastrucutre, just look at my comments in this thread, but to compare the US to Poland is sheer idiocy.
DonQui no está en línea  
Old April 13th, 2006, 03:27 AM   #413
jmancuso
make it so...

Likes (Received): 56

this thread is is quite dumb becuase in some instances, the EU will have better infastructure while the US will in others. europe is known for it's extensive rail system (probably becuase the individual countries are small) whereas the american airtline industry is well developed becuase of the country's geographic size.
Old April 13th, 2006, 03:30 AM   #414
chiccoplease

Well, I've never compared the US to Poland in the first place.

The suburban train system in the Northeast can't be compared to any S-Bahn type system that is common in Germany. While it mostly okay to jump on a suburban train in New York, this kind of transportation is reserved for the "lower masses" in other cities. Then there is a small rail system in San Francisco and an extensive subway system in New York. That's basically it. Or how many people do actually take a train from NY to, say, Boston?

The situation in East Canada is way harsher, though. There is like one train a day from Ottawa to Montreal.

You cannot compare that even to Eastern Europe that has a tradition of railway transportation.
Old April 13th, 2006, 03:34 AM   #415
DonQui
BANNED

Quote:
Well, I've never compared the US to Poland in the first place.

The suburban train system in the Northeast can't be compared to any S-Bahn type system that is common in Germany. While it mostly okay to jump on a suburban train in New York, this kind of transportation is reserved for the "lower masses" in other cities. Then there is a small rail system in San Francisco and an extensive subway system in New York. That's basically it. Or how many people do actually take a train from NY to, say, Boston?

The situation in East Canada is way harsher, though. There is like one train a day from Ottawa to Montreal.

You cannot compare that even to Eastern Europe that has a tradition of railway transportation.
You said that it was on par with the lesser developed countries of Europe. Unless I am mistkaen, Poland fits into this category.

Anda agin, you are proving your ingnorance. Only NY and San Francisco have systems? I already told you about Chicago, DC, Boston, and Philadelphia. And several other places are developing their light rail networks, such as Saint Louis, Dallas, Houston, etc.

For the "lower masses?" What the hell does that mean? Do you have any idea how wealthy the suburbs of NYC are? And how many people take the trains from these wealthy communities into Manhattan? The same for DC (Bethesda), or for San Francisco. Wealthy people also take commuter rail in othe rplaces beyond NYC.

Last edited by DonQui; April 13th, 2006 at 03:43 AM.
DonQui no está en línea  
Old April 13th, 2006, 03:52 AM   #416
chiccoplease

Quote:
You said that it was on par with the lesser developed countries of Europe. Unless I am mistkaen, Poland fits into this category.

Anda agin, you are proving your ingnorance. Only NY and San Francisco have systems? I already told you about Chicago, DC, Boston, and Philadelphia. And several other places are developing their light rail networks, such as Saint Louis, Dallas, Houston, etc.

For the "lower masses?" What the hell does that mean? Do you have any idea how wealthy the suburbs of NYC are? And how many people take the trains from these wealthy communities into Manhattan?

Poland rather fits in the undeveloped category. By lesser developed countries I meant Spain, Portugal etc. They are improving quickly, though.

Thank you for "telling me" about the commuter networks in cities like Chicago and Boston. They are nothing like the commuter networks of middle-sized European cities. The service is infrequent, the vehicles are old and yes, those trains are used by the lower masses which makes them dangerous and simply unpleasant.

As I mentioned in my earlier post, NYC does have a very extensive system. However, I think the stories of wealthy businessmen taking the commuter train from NY suburbs into Manhattan are ideological tails. During my time in New York I often wondered why those people were not on the commuter train or on the subway. People at work kept telling me that *everyone* takes the subway because Manhattan is oh so congested, but I simply didn't witness it. In fact, I was the one ordering cars even for the lower-level managers. That was my job. I think the Path Train is an exception, though. Still no chiefs, but lots of middle class representatives from Hoboken & co.
Old April 13th, 2006, 03:59 AM   #417
DonQui
BANNED

Quote:
Poland rather fits in the undeveloped category. By lesser developed countries I meant Spain, Portugal etc. They are improving quickly, though.

Thank you for "telling me" about the commuter networks in cities like Chicago and Boston. They are nothing like the commuter networks of middle-sized European cities. The service is infrequent, the vehicles are old and yes, those trains are used by the lower masses which makes them dangerous and simply unpleasant.

As I mentioned in my earlier post, NYC does have a very extensive system. However, I think the stories of wealthy businessmen taking the commuter train from NY suburbs into Manhattan are ideological tails. During my time in New York I often wondered why those people were not on the commuter train or on the subway. People at work kept telling me that *everyone* takes the subway because Manhattan is oh so congested, but I simply didn't witness it. In fact, I was the one ordering cars even for the lower-level managers. That was my job. I think the Path Train is an exception, though. Still no chiefs, but lots of middle class representatives from Hoboken & co.
Just because you spent a short while here does not mean that you are as aware of the systems in the US as you think you are.

Everyone takes the subway. EVERYONE. And if you think that countries like Spain and Portugal are among the "lesser" developed countries of Europe, you are also sadly mistaken. Lower average income, yes. But lesser developed, no.
DonQui no está en línea  
Old April 13th, 2006, 04:01 AM   #418
premutos
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

don qui is a american-nuyorican who considers himself spaniard

there is something u dont see everyday

hahaha just kidding donqui.
premutos no está en línea  
Old April 13th, 2006, 04:07 AM   #419
chiccoplease

Quote:
Just because you spent a short while here does not mean that you are as aware of the systems in the US as you think you are.

Everyone takes the subway. EVERYONE. And if you think that countries like Spain and Portugal are among the "lesser" developed countries of Europe, you are also sadly mistaken. Lower average income, yes. But lesser developed, no.
Short time? No, I'm not one of the Germans who went to Fiji on vacation for 10 days and want to emigrate there forever.

From what I have witnessed myself, everyone who can avoid the subway does it by taking the taxi. People with a higher income order a car with a driver. That's the way it goes.

And please don't sing the song about Spain and Portugal (!) being as developed as Western Europe. Spain might have a few fancy high-speed lines and trains, but getting from A to B is still a nightmare. The transportation network is slow, inefficient and old. Now, what has been created in Madrid and some other large cities is wonderful and I'm sure that the entire transportation network of the country will be amazing in a decade considering the speed it's developing at. But if you ask me what I consider developed when it comes to transport, my answer is Germany, Austria, Switzerland and no other European country even comes close.
Old April 13th, 2006, 04:12 AM   #420
chiccoplease

PS Getting back to the topic of "everyone taking the NYC subway". When I first came to NY I thought that like 90% of its citizens are black. No, I really did. I only saw other races at work and in my neighborhood. Frankly, my impression was based on what I saw on the subway (and "everyone took the subway"). Then I changed the line and saw Mexicans, then I walked around, then I started work. My verdict after one year was that 80% of people taking the subway were poor minorities.

Closed Thread