daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: So?
EU 388 79.51%
USA 100 20.49%
Voters: 488. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old April 13th, 2006, 08:11 PM   #461
KB

Likes (Received): 6843

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddington
You can traverse most of the American cities faster than you can places like London by car, because the highway infrastructure is better built to carry traffic, through densely populated areas no less. But believe what you want to believe.

thats why london has a very gud tube system for public transport.
KB no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old April 13th, 2006, 08:57 PM   #462
andysimo123
wind-up merchant

Likes (Received): 82

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJoe
Germany is only one country. Whether they are built of a better quality is another thing. I don't think anyone knows whether it is true or not, just something that is nice to say.
It is true, because US roads only laydown a number of inches of concrete etc compared to Europe who lay more. The less concrete you lay down, the less wear and tear it can take, which mean cracks, bumbs, and pot holes appear more than a road which has more layed down.
andysimo123 no está en línea  
Old April 13th, 2006, 11:11 PM   #463
Jue
Perception

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysimo123
It is true, because US roads only laydown a number of inches of concrete etc compared to Europe who lay more. The less concrete you lay down, the less wear and tear it can take, which mean cracks, bumbs, and pot holes appear more than a road which has more layed down.
Also, road repairs in the US tend to be haphazard, with asphalt patches instead of full reconstruction until the damaged section is dangerous to drive on.

Paddington: Los Angeles highways are an exercise in patience. No matter how impressive infrastructure looks, it is not quality if it cannot handle the loads put upon it.

Looks great, until the wrong time of day.

And again, US rail is a joke.
Jue no está en línea  
Old April 13th, 2006, 11:20 PM   #464
nysgreg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme
Expressways is also another difficult one. The general consensus is that the US has the largest Interstate system in the world, which is entirely true. But this is of cause reflected by the enormous size of the country. The EU is much smaller than the US, 3,976,372km▓ to 9,161,923km▓. Yet the EU has 56,704km of expressway to the US's 74,950km, making the EU one far more dense.
but let me give you some ACTUAL numbers

The Interstate Highway system network 74,950 kms

The national highway system length 264,703 kms (Puerto Rico not included

total lentgh of ALL highways in the US 6,407,634 kms

http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/policy/ohim/hs04/htm/hm15m.htm

if you wanna compare highway network you cannot only single out interstates since there are MANY limited access highways in the US that are not part of the interstate highway system
nysgreg no está en línea  
Old April 13th, 2006, 11:24 PM   #465
nysgreg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jue
Also, road repairs in the US tend to be haphazard, with asphalt patches instead of full reconstruction until the damaged section is dangerous to drive on.

Paddington: Los Angeles highways are an exercise in patience. No matter how impressive infrastructure looks, it is not quality if it cannot handle the loads put upon it.

like I stated in a previous thread, reparing an exstensive road network in constant use cannot be compared to a lesser road network not used as much...

america is a car culture. we don't even use trains to carry freight anymore as 70% of freights in the US is hauled by trucks..

so WTH do we need an extensive rail network for???

as someone already said, when we needed one, we had the best in the world... we no longer need such extensive network, so why waste tax dollars?? just to have bragging rights and say my railways are better than yours????

SMH
nysgreg no está en línea  
Old April 13th, 2006, 11:28 PM   #466
Paddington

Likes (Received): 1261

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jue

Is that your example of the wrong time of day? That traffic looks like it's moving just fine.

I'm not from LA, and not even a particularly big fan of California. But when I was there on my visits I've found the traffic to be quite smooth flowing on LA's expressways. Maybe it's different from 8-9 in the morning, but then again what place doesn't have a lot of traffic in that hour?
Paddington no está en línea  
Old April 13th, 2006, 11:43 PM   #467
legal

Likes (Received): 4153

The European Union: they have everything: roads, trains, subways, public transportation, bridges, etc and everything si superdevelopped.

The US has a wonderful highway system, but in rail (trains) is far behind Europe. When I was living in Belgium, I could take a train from any city, even very small little towns, to anywhere in the Union, from France to Italy, from Amsterdam to Paris, from Montpellier to Milan.

It's fantastic!!!!
www.globaltradeview.com, a forum on International Business & Travels.
www.lehighproducts.com
Study English or Intl Business in USA: www.lehighglobal.com
Organic & Specialty Food Monthly Subscription Box: www.dacostassecret.com
legal no está en línea  
Old April 14th, 2006, 12:07 AM   #468
Justme
Gotta lite?

Likes (Received): 770

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddington
Whatever. Have you got 20 lane expressways and 5 level stack interchanges in Europe? In Europe, cars are a privelage for wealthier people. In America, everyone has a car. Plus the continental climate of America is extreme and causes the roads to crack because of the wild swings in temperature, requiring frequent resurfacing. Most of the countries you named have temps in a much more narrow band. Plus there is so much more heavy traffic here in America using the roads than in Europe. But overall the European roads are not even in the same league as the American expressway system, even if overall they tend to be a bit smoother paved.
You think some pussy 6 lane road shows infrastructure?
Well, putting your American patriotism aside here, you do have a point with the wide expressways and multilevel interchanges. These are examples where American infrastructure is impressive, that is, expressways within urban or metropolitan area's.

Within these area's, American cities have invested far more in road infrastructure than Europe, whereas European cities have invested far more in public transport for their urban area's. This of cause has side effects for both regions. Some American cities are so dominated by the car that it has destroyed the character of the city. On the other hand, some European cities have such few parking spaces that it also destroys the character of inner city neighbourhoods (all the cars parked along the narrow streets)

Personally though, I prefer the European system here of encouraging public transport use.

As for the 2nd comment I highlighted, what a load of rubbish. There is no difference in the ability of purchasing cars in either regions. And your claim that the US has the highest level of car ownership in the world can be disputed by various statistics to be found on the Internet. I have listed one below, which places Italy and Germany on top (although Iceland which often tops the list is missing). The list does vary from site to site, but Italy, Germany and Iceland usually still remain near or at the top.
Number of Cars per 1000 people (From Nation Master)
#1 Italy 539 per 1,000 people
#2 Germany 508 per 1,000 people
#3 Austria 495 per 1,000 people
#4 Switzerland 486 per 1,000 people
#5 Australia 485 per 1,000 people
#6 New Zealand 481 per 1,000 people
#7 United States 478 per 1,000 people
#8 France 469 per 1,000 people
#9 Canada 459 per 1,000 people
#10 Belgium 448 per 1,000 people
#11 Sweden 437 per 1,000 people
#12 Norway 407 per 1,000 people
#13 Finland 403 per 1,000 people
#14 Japan 395 per 1,000 people
#15 Netherlands 383 per 1,000 people
#16 United Kingdom 373 per 1,000 people
#17 Denmark 353 per 1,000 people

Maybe you should reevaluate your theory here?

Finally, the 3rd comment I highlighted in bold. As I mentioned, I do agree that the US metropolitan area expressway infrastructure does lead over the the average EU city, but I still think the EU can hold it's own on intercity expressways. You may call European urban area roads "pussy", but one could argue do you have intercity highways like the ones in Europe with endless high, massive bridges and some of the longest road tunnels in the world?

Old April 14th, 2006, 12:15 AM   #469
jmancuso
make it so...

Likes (Received): 56

^ that bridge would never fly here in the US becuase the state and federal governments would never allocate that kind of money for some seen as 'frivolous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jue

that's houston (59/southwest freeway) and i see my exit: chimney rock
Old April 14th, 2006, 12:22 AM   #470
Jue
Perception

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmancuso
that's houston (59/southwest freeway) and i see my exit: chimney rock
Fountainview's my exit.
Quote:
Is that your example of the wrong time of day? That traffic looks like it's moving just fine.

I'm not from LA, and not even a particularly big fan of California. But when I was there on my visits I've found the traffic to be quite smooth flowing on LA's expressways. Maybe it's different from 8-9 in the morning, but then again what place doesn't have a lot of traffic in that hour?
No, that's the right time of day.

LA highways are awful during commuting hours. The thing is, rail does not slow down even at peak loads. Trains always run on schedule; the very fact that highways always jam miserably when people head to work reflects negatively upon the highway culture itself. Infrastructure that performs poorly when most people try to use it, is not the best infrastructure.
Quote:
like I stated in a previous thread, reparing an exstensive road network in constant use cannot be compared to a lesser road network not used as much...

america is a car culture. we don't even use trains to carry freight anymore as 70% of freights in the US is hauled by trucks..

so WTH do we need an extensive rail network for???

as someone already said, when we needed one, we had the best in the world... we no longer need such extensive network, so why waste tax dollars?? just to have bragging rights and say my railways are better than yours????
An extensive rail network to carry people around, maybe? Of course we don't need one now, because we can't need one now, the way American cities are designed. In the end, tourists and business travelers become stranded wherever they go, since public transit is woefully inadequate in all but a few cities. In Europe, I can go from England to Poland, stopping at every city in between, without ever touching an automobile. Now, that is achievement.
Jue no está en línea  
Old April 14th, 2006, 12:48 AM   #471
sk

Likes (Received): 3

several european countries are building more and more motorways eg .greece

i lived for 8 years in hungary and the public transport was extremely efficient.
almost every road had a bus or tram passing nearby.

now i live in cyprus which is a small island ,it has an extensive network of motorways and now they will start constructing motorways connecting towns of only a few thousand people and in one case with only a few hunderd people.....but public transportation is simply ridiculous

infrastructure differs from one eu country to the other as i am sure it differs from one us state to another.
each region has its own needs and should invest in its infrustructure according to those needs

but overall i would say that eu is better
sk no está en línea  
Old April 14th, 2006, 12:57 AM   #472
premutos
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jue

HAHAHAHAAHAHAHA THE US INFRAESTRUCTURE IS A JOKE

IS NOT FUNCTIONAL AT ALL

AMERICAN CITIES ARE NOT PEDESTRIAN FRIENDLY, THEY ARE CAR FRIENDLY

everything is so far away you need a car to drive, not to mention the ALARMING sprawls all over, miles and miles and miles and miles of highways and isolated suburbs surrounded by enormous overcrowded highways without any kind of urban sense.

it's simply pathetic..........

If you think in the US people can take a walk downtown and interact with the city, like they do in europe or latin america, where you can get to live the city, look at people pass by, sit in a park and look at everyone go on with their lives YOU ARE WRONG!!!

here you would have to drive two hours and deal with an ENORMOUS TRAFFIC to go to crappy plastic looking downtown to see partially that.
premutos no está en línea  
Old April 14th, 2006, 12:59 AM   #473
premutos
BANNED

Quote:

That is infrastructure

I invite you to drive on those VERY WELL DEVELOPED HIGHWAYS sometime between 6am and 9am, or 2pm and 7 pm

It'll take you an hour to drive a mile.
premutos no está en línea  
Old April 14th, 2006, 01:14 AM   #474
OettingerCroat
Disenfranchised

Likes (Received): 22

Quote:

That is infrastructure
NO ITS NOT INFRASTRUCTURE

IT IS ╝ OF INFRASTRUCTURE. INFRASTRUCTURE IS NOT JUST ROADS.

OettingerCroat no está en línea  
Old April 14th, 2006, 01:16 AM   #475
Insignia

Likes (Received): 0

uuf! that's total shit! Birmingham Motorway shits on any USA highway... forget counting the London systems and never mind the rest of Europe!
Insignia no está en línea  
Old April 14th, 2006, 01:18 AM   #476
Jue
Perception

Quote:
Originally Posted by premutos

IS NOT FUNCTIONAL AT ALL

everything is so far away you need a car to drive, not to mention the ALARMING sprawls all over, miles and miles and miles and miles of highways and isolated suburbs surrounded by enormous overcrowded highways without any kind of urban sense.

If you think in the US people can take a walk downtown and interact with the city, like they do in europe or latin america, where you can get to live the city, look at people pass by, sit in a park and look at everyone go on with their lives YOU ARE WRONG!!!

here you would have to drive two hours and deal with an ENORMOUS TRAFFIC to go to crappy plastic looking downtown to see partially that.
Exactly.

Then you have to find parking in the downtown.
Jue no está en línea  
Old April 14th, 2006, 01:35 AM   #477
jmancuso
make it so...

Likes (Received): 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jue
Fountainview's my exit.
you probably live near by then...i live on yorktown.
Old April 14th, 2006, 01:36 AM   #478
fttd

Likes (Received): 0

USA by far
fttd no está en línea  
Old April 14th, 2006, 01:40 AM   #479
Jue
Perception

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmancuso
you probably live near by then...i live on yorktown.
I'm actually on Hillcroft, but I don't bother with that exit. Those red lights keep me waiting until the Year of the Rooster.

Beautiful, inefficient infrastructure:

Jue no está en línea  
Old April 14th, 2006, 01:45 AM   #480
Lee
BANNED

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by premutos

IS NOT FUNCTIONAL AT ALL

You've gone too far and have exposed your pathetic anti-american disposition. Fact is, its infrastructure is anything but pathetic. You can't blame us for not having railroad travel, when it is well known that it simply isn't feasible. Our infrastructure follows our needs, and obvioulsy it has done one heck of a job. Congress just passed a highway bill valued at $100 billion, which is more than the GDP of most nations.
Lee no está en línea  

Closed Thread