daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: So?
EU 388 79.51%
USA 100 20.49%
Voters: 488. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old April 14th, 2006, 01:47 AM   #481
Lee
BANNED

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jue
I'm actually on Hillcroft, but I don't bother with that exit. Those red lights keep me waiting until the Year of the Rooster.

Beautiful, inefficient infrastructure:

If it were ineffecient, the US economy would be likewise given that infrastructure is a large component in long run aggregate supply.
Lee no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old April 14th, 2006, 02:00 AM   #482
Jue
Perception

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee
You've gone too far and have exposed your pathetic anti-american disposition. Fact is, its infrastructure is anything but pathetic. You can't blame us for not having railroad travel, when it is well known that it simply isn't feasible. Our infrastructure follows our needs, and obvioulsy it has done one heck of a job. Congress just passed a highway bill valued at $100 billion, which is more than the GDP of most nations.
I thought it was $280 billion?
Quote:
If it were ineffecient, the US economy would be likewise given that infrastructure is a large component in long run aggregate supply.
The picture is only an illustration of rush hour traffic. The economy functions just fine during the other 20 hours of the day, when trucks and UPS vans and the whatnot can cruise along freely.

Highway networks in the US are efficient on the aggregate whole, just not for the individual heading to work.
Jue no está en línea  
Old April 14th, 2006, 02:10 AM   #483
Lee
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jue
The picture is only an illustration of rush hour traffic. The economy functions just fine during the other 20 hours of the day, when trucks and UPS vans and the whatnot can cruise along freely.

Highway networks in the US are efficient on the aggregate whole, just not for the individual heading to work.
Are you telling me there are no traffic jams in Europe? Madrid, in my personal experience, is not much better than any normal US city, even though it has one of the greatest public transportation networks in the world.
Lee no está en línea  
Old April 14th, 2006, 02:27 AM   #484
Pindakaas
POTTEN

Likes (Received): 0

Highways are probably more widespread in the US. Europe though doesnt need them as much. The public transport is just better in Europe.

Theres other Infrastructures too. One exampe is sewers. Another is dikes and dams, and we all know that they arent too good in the US.
Pindakaas no está en línea  
Old April 14th, 2006, 02:27 AM   #485
Jue
Perception

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee
Are you telling me there are no traffic jams in Europe? Madrid, in my personal experience, is not much better than any normal US city, even though it has one of the greatest public transportation networks in the world.
In Europe people have an alternative to traffic jams, at least in most urban areas. Here, good luck.
Jue no está en línea  
Old April 14th, 2006, 02:29 AM   #486
Insignia

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee
Your post is so hypocritical. You state that Madrid is
Quote:
not much better than any normal US city
and you admit Madrid has
Quote:
one of the greatest public transportation networks in the world.
The Irony of this post.

Or on which count? Transportation?

So you are suggesting Madrid which has "one of the greatest public transportation networks in the world" is not better than any Normal US City?
Insignia no está en línea  
Old April 14th, 2006, 02:31 AM   #487
zergcerebrates

Likes (Received): 62

EU is way better. I live in the States I know and I've been to 10 European countries.
zergcerebrates no está en línea  
Old April 14th, 2006, 02:44 AM   #488
OettingerCroat
Disenfranchised

Likes (Received): 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouwendoetgoed
Highways are probably more widespread in the US. Europe though doesnt need them as much. The public transport is just better in Europe.

Theres other Infrastructures too. One exampe is sewers. Another is dikes and dams, and we all know that they arent too good in the US.
and levees
OettingerCroat no está en línea  
Old April 14th, 2006, 02:57 AM   #489
Paddington

Likes (Received): 1261

Cheap shots against New Orleans and generalizations about American dikes and dams? What a bunch of turd burglars.
Paddington no está en línea  
Old April 14th, 2006, 03:10 AM   #490
jmancuso
make it so...

Likes (Received): 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jue
I'm actually on Hillcroft, but I don't bother with that exit. Those red lights keep me waiting until the Year of the Rooster.
hillcroft is still pretty close and that transtar map reminds me how much houston traffic sucks. 59 south is a real drag during rush hour.
Old April 14th, 2006, 03:34 AM   #491
Lee
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jue
In Europe people have an alternative to traffic jams, at least in most urban areas. Here, good luck.
Not if you live outside the city-center, which many do.
Lee no está en línea  
Old April 14th, 2006, 03:36 AM   #492
Lee
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insignia
Your post is so hypocritical. You state that Madrid is

and you admit Madrid has

The Irony of this post.

Or on which count? Transportation?

So you are suggesting Madrid which has "one of the greatest public transportation networks in the world" is not better than any Normal US City?
I am saying its traffic jams and congestion are just as bad. Yes, indeed. Ask anyone who lives there, and they will tell you that traffic is terrible.
Lee no está en línea  
Old April 14th, 2006, 03:42 AM   #493
Lee
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouwendoetgoed
Lets see how any other city can survive with a Cat 4 hurricane and an old levee created 100 years ago! How are dams not good here? Hoover Dam is one of the most impressive in the world, and well ahead of its time.
Lee no está en línea  
Old April 14th, 2006, 03:56 AM   #494
OettingerCroat
Disenfranchised

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddington
Cheap shots against New Orleans and generalizations about American dikes and dams? What a bunch of turd burglars.
yes, absolutely, I'm going to generalize. The US has demostrated it puts little money into building world-class infrastructure and even less care in maintaining after its built. New orleans levees are the prime example of American ignorance and slopiness. it is ABSOLUTELY a fair example. new orleans was an American icon and extremely important to the United States. Face it; it was. Don't say it was able to afford being poorly protected because it was unimportant, because it was a major port and brought enormous tourism revenues to the region.

The entire area was home to over 500,000 people. it was protected by walls of soil. SOIL. in other areas, it was simply slabs of conrete lined up side-to-side.

a staple of American culture, protected by something 3 year olds build in a sandbox. whichever way you turn it, that was unacceptable.

had the govt acted, all the people could have been saved, but they intentionally let the immobile and impoverished African American population in harms way, BUT THATS A SEPERATE STORY ALTOGETHER.

anyways back to the levees:

Here's how the British hold back the waters from flooding London:

And the Dutch solution to protecting an entire nation that mostly rests below sea level:

The Italians are defending their city on the sea, Venice:

And...
Here's how the richest, most powerful and technologically advanced
nation on earth protected against the long-forecasted flooding of New Orleans

Old April 14th, 2006, 04:00 AM   #495
OettingerCroat
Disenfranchised

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee
Lets see how any other city can survive with a Cat 4 hurricane and an old levee created 100 years ago! How are dams not good here? Hoover Dam is one of the most impressive in the world, and well ahead of its time.
THATS ONE ITEM!!!! THAT DOESNT MEAN USA HAS GOOD DAMS. the rest of the US's could be built just as good by a well-motivated beaver.

IF SOMALIA BUILT THE MOST MODERN EXPRESSWAY IN THE WORLD, BUT IT WAS ONLY 5 KM LONG, THAT DOESNT MEAN ITS HIGHWAYS ARE GOOD!!!!!!
Old April 14th, 2006, 04:02 AM   #496
Lee
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by OettingerCroat
THATS ONE ITEM!!!! THAT DOESNT MEAN USA HAS GOOD DAMS. the rest of the US's could be built just as good by a well-motivated beaver.

IF SOMALIA BUILT THE MOST MODERN EXPRESSWAY IN THE WORLD, BUT IT WAS ONLY 5 KM LONG, THAT DOESNT MEAN ITS HIGHWAYS ARE GOOD!!!!!!
And who are you to say that the US doesn't have good dams? Rest assured, it does.
Lee no está en línea  
Old April 14th, 2006, 04:07 AM   #497
jmancuso
make it so...

Likes (Received): 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by OettingerCroat
yes, absolutely, I'm going to generalize. The US has demostrated it puts little money into building world-class infrastructure and even less care in maintaining after its built. New orleans levees are the prime example of American ignorance and slopiness. it is ABSOLUTELY a fair example. new orleans was an American icon and extremely important to the United States. Face it; it was. Don't say it was able to afford being poorly protected because it was unimportant, because it was a major port and brought enormous tourism revenues to the region.

The entire area was home to over 500,000 people. it was protected by walls of soil. SOIL. in other areas, it was simply slabs of conrete lined up side-to-side.

a staple of American culture, protected by something 3 year olds build in a sandbox. whichever way you turn it, that was unacceptable.

had the govt acted, all the people could have been saved, but they intentionally let the immobile and impoverished African American population in harms way, BUT THATS A SEPERATE STORY ALTOGETHER.

as much as i would like to disagree, i can't. we americans prefer to put our tax dollars towards things like cruise missiles and fighter planes rather than clean up new orleans.
Old April 14th, 2006, 04:08 AM   #498
zergling

Likes (Received): 3

I feel sorry for the US for having a sprawl culture. Sooner or later the issue of sustainability will come to haunt this great nation.
zergling no está en línea  
Old April 14th, 2006, 04:08 AM   #499
Lee
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmancuso
as much as i would like to disagree, i can't. we americans prefer to put our tax dollars towards things like cruise missiles and fighter planes rather than clean up new orleans.
Yeah, I guess those $80 billion allocated for relief means absolutely nothing
Lee no está en línea  
Old April 14th, 2006, 04:09 AM   #500
premutos
BANNED

hahaha Lee I know I am such an anti-American and I hate Americans so much that I live in San Diego and I was born in NYC. HAHAHAA
premutos no está en línea  

Closed Thread