daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: So?
EU 388 79.51%
USA 100 20.49%
Voters: 488. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old April 14th, 2006, 04:09 AM   #501
DonQui
BANNED

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by zergling
I feel sorry for the US for having a sprawl culture. Sooner or later the issue of sustainability will come to haunt this great nation.
Canada don't do much better ya know.
DonQui no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old April 14th, 2006, 04:12 AM   #502
OettingerCroat
Disenfranchised

Likes (Received): 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee
Lets see how any other city can survive with a Cat 4 hurricane and an old levee created 100 years ago! How are dams not good here? Hoover Dam is one of the most impressive in the world, and well ahead of its time.
it was a Cat. 5 hurricane, and the levees were 40 years old. in 1960's an equally powerful Cat. 5 hurricane hit the region and destroyed all the levees THAT time, so the levees are no older than 40 years.

and your comment PERFECTLY defines america's problem! americans build something once and act as if what they built is a permanent solution! WRONG!!! when it gets outdated, it must be modernized or replaced. you can't modernize dirt walls protecting a half-million city, and the country is FAR too conservative to invest in the region and build a state-of-the-art levee system, so they say, "meh **** it, if it aint broke, don't fix it. hasn't sprung a leak yet, so best not worry about it. and if it does, throw some bubble gum onto it."

had the countries shown above not thought SECOND LEVEL, which is an impossible concept for americans to grasp, they would look like New Orleans too.
OettingerCroat no está en línea  
Old April 14th, 2006, 04:15 AM   #503
OettingerCroat
Disenfranchised

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee
Yeah, I guess those $80 billion allocated for relief means absolutely nothing
it went to trailers for the victims to live in. these trailers are now sitting in arkansas, and haven't yet been delivered.

it went to cleaning up the destruction. outside of downtown, STILL TODAY it looks like the city got carpet bombed. shit, 10 months later, refrigerators are still hanging in the trees.

so yeah, as of now, those $80 million DO NOT mean anything, you are correct.
Old April 14th, 2006, 04:18 AM   #504
OettingerCroat
Disenfranchised

Quote:
Originally Posted by premutos
hahaha Lee I know I am such an anti-American and I hate Americans so much that I live in San Diego and I was born in NYC. HAHAHAA
yah and i was born in Oakland and lived all over California, hehehehe
Old April 14th, 2006, 04:24 AM   #505
Lee
BANNED

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by OettingerCroat
it was a Cat. 5 hurricane, and the levees were 40 years old. in 1960's an equally powerful Cat. 5 hurricane hit the region and destroyed all the levees THAT time, so the levees are no older than 40 years.
No, they were simply re-patched (unfortunately).

Quote:
and your comment PERFECTLY defines america's problem! americans build something once and act as if what they built is a permanent solution! WRONG!!! when it gets outdated, it must be modernized or replaced. you can't modernize dirt walls protecting a half-million city, and the country is FAR too conservative to invest in the region and build a state-of-the-art levee system, so they say, "meh **** it, if it aint broke, don't fix it. hasn't sprung a leak yet, so best not worry about it. and if it does, throw some bubble gum onto it."
Conservative? Why didn't any liberal Democrats say anything about replacing the levees before the hurricane?

Quote:
had the countries shown above not thought SECOND LEVEL, which is an impossible concept for americans to grasp, they would look like New Orleans too.
That's impossible to interpret, given that none of the countries get hurricanes, let alone many severe storms.
Lee no está en línea  
Old April 14th, 2006, 04:25 AM   #506
premutos
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

Let's pray to God an earthquacke don't hit LA during rush hour and send all those SUPER MODERN, ULTRA-ENORMOUS MILES AND MILES AND MILES OF SECOND AND THIRD AND FOURTH STORE HIGHWAYS to the ground.

I don't know who has had the courage and humble patience among the people on this website to drive thru LA during rush hour!! YOU CAN READ AN ENTIRE BOOK SITTING INSIDE YOUR CAR WHILE WAITING FOR TRAFFIC TO MOVE.

But something liek that occurring would be a MAJOR CATASTROPHE.

This country's cities are not functional, they really arent, the only place on the entire United states where you can hop on a train and go pretty much every where is NYC, other than that the railway stations in other cities are always located in areas where they are not needed, on areas where they are hardly used, or in areas that are very unnaccesible, basically you would get off in that station and you would have to drive a car from there for a few minutes to go to a more estrategic place.

Not to mention the COUNTLESS NUMBER OF CITIES AND SMALL TOWNS THAT DO NOT EVEN HAVE A RAILWAY STATION, OR A HIGHWAY NEARBY.
There are places in the US where you have to drive 45 minutes to go to the closest highway.

Sprawls are really gonna become a nightmare in the near future, America is gonna look back and say, wow!!! we didn't need these GIGANTIC SPRAWLS we could have built smaller more efficient cities!!!
premutos no está en línea  
Old April 14th, 2006, 04:28 AM   #507
Lee
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by OettingerCroat
it went to trailers for the victims to live in. these trailers are now sitting in arkansas, and haven't yet been delivered.

it went to cleaning up the destruction. outside of downtown, STILL TODAY it looks like the city got carpet bombed. shit, 10 months later, refrigerators are still hanging in the trees.

so yeah, as of now, those $80 million DO NOT mean anything, you are correct.
You said that the Fed. Gov't hasn't payed a cent. It has on a grand level. New Orleans is still a mess because many do want to come back, meaning that all the debris is not a top priority. I don't know where the money is going, but what I do know is that somebody is getting it!
Lee no está en línea  
Old April 14th, 2006, 04:31 AM   #508
premutos
BANNED

oh in New Orleans there are still rotten corpses in certain parts of the city that are STILL flooded.

Imagine this country trying to rebuild its cities like Europe did back in the day right after world war II

and Canada is pretty much the same story, horrible infraestructure!!!
Old April 14th, 2006, 04:33 AM   #509
DonQui
BANNED

Lee, I think as admirable as it is, you are fighting a losing battle.

Our infrastructure, in general, frankly sucks. Like jmancuso said, we spend our money on military and leave our infrastructure in tatters. As good as New York's system is, if it were in another country, like France, it would be even better.

We have our good points, we have our strong points. But infrastructure frankly is not one of them.
DonQui no está en línea  
Old April 14th, 2006, 04:38 AM   #510
premutos
BANNED

Even in "developing" Colombia I was able to stay in a small town 120 miles from the largest city, with only 2,000 people...... and every day I was able to catch the local bus that leaves every 15 minutes during the day, and every hour during the night, and then hop on a train that took me to the downtown area of Medellin a city with 2 million people in a matter of 1 hour, without having to deal with highways and traffic like I do here in FIRST WORLD CALIFORNIA.

Here in California to travel a distance of 120 miles you would have to drive for almost 2 hours and half and during rush hour it would take you an eternity.
Old April 14th, 2006, 04:45 AM   #511
jmancuso
make it so...

Likes (Received): 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee
Yeah, I guess those $80 billion allocated for relief means absolutely nothing

they can allocate a trillion dollars but new orleans hasn't seen much $$ as of yet and it's been 7/8 months already. talk is cheap.
Old April 14th, 2006, 04:55 AM   #512
AdamDeLonge
I don't understand

Likes (Received): 0

EU
AdamDeLonge no está en línea  
Old April 14th, 2006, 05:00 AM   #513
Chalaco
:D

Likes (Received): 16

The European Union all the way. I've never been there but...it has to be better than waiting for a bus that comes by every hour or so. Or at least that happens in my sprawl city near Ft. Lauderdale. Not even in Canada do you have to wait so long for the bus.

The U.S. has pretty nice roads by the way that keep eating getting more lanes.....and even with more lanes they still get packed. Booo.
Old April 14th, 2006, 05:02 AM   #514
[email protected]
Global Citizen

Likes (Received): 6408

Definitely the EU!

The USA has probably more roads, but they are often in a pretty bad shape outside of the major metro areas. And public transportation in the US is nothing else than a bad joke. I've used Amtrak pretty often and they are 1. extremely slow 2. never on time 3. extremely expensive; no comparison to european HST networks.

Also cities of the size of Houston and Phoenix don't even have a subway there, just a crappy bus system. Something like that would be unthinkable in Europe.

It will be funny to see what happens to those cities and american suburbia in general when the oil crisis strikes big time!
R@ptor no está en línea  
Old April 14th, 2006, 05:05 AM   #515
DonQui
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected]
Definitely the EU!

The USA has probably more roads, but they are often in a pretty bad shape outside of the major metro areas. And public transportation in the US is nothing else than a bad joke. I've used Amtrak pretty often and they are 1. extremely slow 2. never on time 3. extremely expensive; no comparison to european HST networks.

Also cities of the size of Houston and Phoenix don't even have a subway there, just a crappy bus system. Something like that would be unthinkable in Europe.

It will be funny to see what happens to those cities and american suburbia in general when the oil crisis strikes big time!
Overall, I agree with this post, but what makes you think that Germany is immune to peak oil? The shit will hit the fan there as well, it will just hit us harder.
DonQui no está en línea  
Old April 14th, 2006, 05:05 AM   #516
jmancuso
make it so...

Likes (Received): 56

houston has a surface light rail, albiet a very short one but a subway would not be a good idea in a city barely above sea-level
Old April 14th, 2006, 05:08 AM   #517
DonQui
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmancuso
houston has a surface light rail, albiet a very short one but a subway would not be a good idea in a city barely above sea-level
Well Manhattan is an island, you can't get much closer to sea level than that.
DonQui no está en línea  
Old April 14th, 2006, 05:11 AM   #518
[email protected]
Global Citizen

Likes (Received): 6408

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQui
Overall, I agree with this post, but what makes you think that Germany is immune to peak oil? The shit will hit the fan there as well, it will just hit us harder.
No country is immune to that of course. But here in Germany basically every city with a population of more than 100,000 has a light rail or a tram and I don't know of any village with a population of 500! people that doesn't have a bus connection(and if its just twice a day)
R@ptor no está en línea  
Old April 14th, 2006, 05:44 AM   #519
Lee
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQui
Lee, I think as admirable as it is, you are fighting a losing battle.

Our infrastructure, in general, frankly sucks. Like jmancuso said, we spend our money on military and leave our infrastructure in tatters. As good as New York's system is, if it were in another country, like France, it would be even better.

We have our good points, we have our strong points. But infrastructure frankly is not one of them.
It may suck for somebody who thinks our country should be transformed to their taste, but for how it stands, its infrastructure is does not suck. As I already posted, we are good at what we need. We are not going to suddenly build huge swaths of rail just so that we could be "number 1." Now I do think that we should invest in greater public transportation, and infact, Congress did act on it with this new highway bill. However, when you consider that US airports handle more people than the rest of the world combined, it becomes pretty clear that US infrastructure does its job and gets people around the way it needs to, and that's what counts when considering the economic benefits.
Lee no está en línea  
Old April 14th, 2006, 05:45 AM   #520
LtBk

Likes (Received): 3707

Quote:
Originally Posted by premutos
Even in "developing" Colombia I was able to stay in a small town 120 miles from the largest city, with only 2,000 people...... and every day I was able to catch the local bus that leaves every 15 minutes during the day, and every hour during the night, and then hop on a train that took me to the downtown area of Medellin a city with 2 million people in a matter of 1 hour, without having to deal with highways and traffic like I do here in FIRST WORLD CALIFORNIA.

Here in California to travel a distance of 120 miles you would have to drive for almost 2 hours and half and during rush hour it would take you an eternity.
I thought Colomiba didnt' had any trains.
LtBk está en línea ahora  

Closed Thread