daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: So?
EU 388 79.51%
USA 100 20.49%
Voters: 488. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old April 14th, 2006, 05:46 AM   #521
Lee
BANNED

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmancuso
they can allocate a trillion dollars but new orleans hasn't seen much $$ as of yet and it's been 7/8 months already. talk is cheap.
And who's fault is that? It further proof that gov't is inept to handle many responsibilities, and why the private sector is New Orleans' hope for revitalization.
Lee no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old April 14th, 2006, 05:51 AM   #522
Lee
BANNED

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected]
Also cities of the size of Houston and Phoenix don't even have a subway there, just a crappy bus system. Something like that would be unthinkable in Europe.

It will be funny to see what happens to those cities and american suburbia in general when the oil crisis strikes big time!
Those kind of cities were built on cars, and it would be impossible to make good use of mass trans. there anyway. This goes for any city as spread out as Phoenix.

After Katrina, oil did spike, and yet the economy barely fudged. The US economy is very resilient and much less vulnerable than before to energy spikes. Not saying it wouldn't hurt, but don't pretent that it wont hurt you given that you gas is already much more expensive.
Lee no está en línea  
Old April 14th, 2006, 06:20 AM   #523
nysgreg

Likes (Received): 1

I dunno if I am the only american who feels that way but this EU vs USA thing is getting old... ever since the introduction of the euro, it seems like europeans do and compare EVERYTHING to the US..

lets look at a few facts.. the EU is a UNION of COUNTRIESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS (plural here... in case u missed all the s')

the good ol US of A is ONE COUNTRY... thats right ONE DOG GONE COUNTRY.

even when you all compare the US with your billion of countries put together the US still holds its own...

wanna be fair? why not compare NAFTA VS EU.

area(square km):

NAFTA: 21,588,638
EU: 3,977,487

yall are pretty small aren't ya? no more land to develop over there?? no wonder yall fight for borders

Population

NAFTA: 430,495,039
EU: 460,124,266

30 million more peep... yall must feel crowded huh?

GDP (PPP) ($US)

NAFTA: in millions, 12,889,900... per capita, 29,942
EU: in millions, 11,723,816... per capita, 25,480

if the saying money rules the world is right, then tell me who rules the world then?

now.. my favorite category

Member states

NAFTA: 3, which include mexico which is still regarded as a 3rd world country.. so watch out for our numbers when mexico reach the status of canada.

EU: 25... thats right.. 25 countries put together which cannot, CANNOT, compete against the US, let alone NAFTA.

wanna compare countries? make sure it is ONE country versus another country
wanna compare unions, treaties, etc?? make sure u do it right.
nysgreg no está en línea  
Old April 14th, 2006, 06:27 AM   #524
OettingerCroat
Disenfranchised

Likes (Received): 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee
You said that the Fed. Gov't hasn't payed a cent. It has on a grand level. New Orleans is still a mess because many do want to come back, meaning that all the debris is not a top priority. I don't know where the money is going, but what I do know is that somebody is getting it!
yah, halliburton. money travelled from the left to right pocket.
OettingerCroat no está en línea  
Old April 14th, 2006, 06:30 AM   #525
DonQui
BANNED

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee
It may suck for somebody who thinks our country should be transformed to their taste, but for how it stands, its infrastructure is does not suck. As I already posted, we are good at what we need. We are not going to suddenly build huge swaths of rail just so that we could be "number 1." Now I do think that we should invest in greater public transportation, and infact, Congress did act on it with this new highway bill. However, when you consider that US airports handle more people than the rest of the world combined, it becomes pretty clear that US infrastructure does its job and gets people around the way it needs to, and that's what counts when considering the economic benefits.
I hope that you will be the one driving a car on our amazing infrastructure when gas is $8 a gallon and not me. We'll see then how good our car-based infrastructure is.

DonQui no está en línea  
Old April 14th, 2006, 06:31 AM   #526
Jue
Perception

Quote:
Originally Posted by nysgreg
Unfortunately, adding Canada and Mexico doesn't bolster the case against the EU regarding infrastructure.
Jue no está en línea  
Old April 14th, 2006, 06:31 AM   #527
DonQui
BANNED

Quote:
I dunno if I am the only american who feels that way but this EU vs USA thing is getting old... ever since the introduction of the euro, it seems like europeans do and compare EVERYTHING to the US..

lets look at a few facts.. the EU is a UNION of COUNTRIESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS (plural here... in case u missed all the s')

the good ol US of A is ONE COUNTRY... thats right ONE DOG GONE COUNTRY.

even when you all compare the US with your billion of countries put together the US still holds its own...

wanna be fair? why not compare NAFTA VS EU.

area(square km):

yall are pretty small aren't ya? no more land to develop over there?? no wonder yall fight for borders

Population

NAFTA: 430,495,039
EU: 460,124,266

30 million more peep... yall must feel crowded huh?

GDP (PPP) ($US)

NAFTA: in millions, 12,889,900... per capita, 29,942
EU: in millions, 11,723,816... per capita, 25,480

if the saying money rules the world is right, then tell me who rules the world then?

now.. my favorite category

Member states

NAFTA: 3, which include mexico which is still regarded as a 3rd world country.. so watch out for our numbers when mexico reach the status of canada.

EU: 25... thats right.. 25 countries put together which cannot, CANNOT, compete against the US, let alone NAFTA.

What a childish post. Especially because NAFTA and the EU are just as comparable as the USA versus the EU.
DonQui no está en línea  
Old April 14th, 2006, 06:33 AM   #528
DrJoe
Registered Idiot

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jue
Unfortunately, adding Canada and Mexico doesn't bolster the case against the EU regarding infrastructure.
Actually it does. Canadian cities per-capita destroy American ones when it comes to transit use.
Old April 14th, 2006, 06:35 AM   #529
DonQui
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJoe
Actually it does. Canadian cities per-capita destroy American ones when it comes to transit use.
Well, compared to the EU it is still chump change.
DonQui no está en línea  
Old April 14th, 2006, 06:38 AM   #530
nysgreg

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQui
WOW so the whole purpose of this thread is to show that europeans use more mass transit per capita than north americans?

you want a cookie?
nysgreg no está en línea  
Old April 14th, 2006, 06:38 AM   #531
jmancuso
make it so...

Likes (Received): 56

Quote:
Well Manhattan is an island, you can't get much closer to sea level than that.
yeah but manhattan is a giant rock where houston is mud and clay...and sinking. yay!
Old April 14th, 2006, 06:39 AM   #532
DonQui
BANNED

Quote:
WOW so the whole purpose of this thread is to show that europeans use more mass transit per capita than north americans?

you want a cookie?
Infrastructure, the last I remember, did not stop with highways.
DonQui no está en línea  
Old April 14th, 2006, 06:41 AM   #533
OettingerCroat
Disenfranchised

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee
It may suck for somebody who thinks our country should be transformed to their taste, but for how it stands, its infrastructure is does not suck. As I already posted, we are good at what we need. We are not going to suddenly build huge swaths of rail just so that we could be "number 1." Now I do think that we should invest in greater public transportation, and infact, Congress did act on it with this new highway bill. However, when you consider that US airports handle more people than the rest of the world combined, it becomes pretty clear that US infrastructure does its job and gets people around the way it needs to, and that's what counts when considering the economic benefits.
the airports carry more crap because to get to their final destination, there are no rails to take them there. theyre either go by truck or plane.

the only reason US airports transit so much shit is because there is NO OTHER FAST WAY of getting the shit to the giant walmarts across the country. had there been well-developed rails, like in normal countries, such huge amounts of air traffic wouldn't exist.

that highway bill is the greatest scam of all history. originally worth $300that was signed just before Hurricane Katrina struck, i.e. early August 2005. once Katrina struck, 25 billion were immediately slashed from the bill. And earlier you say its worth only $100 billion.

the same will happen of this money as happened to Katrina relief money: 90% of it will go to Halliburton. 10% will go to that bridge in alaska which connects two uninhabited islands.

nothing will be of the Highway bill. It exists only to make Bush seem more moderate prior to elections in November, and to keep completely brainwashed voters like Lee supporting the Republicans, waiting for imaginary projects to be built.
Old April 14th, 2006, 06:43 AM   #534
DrJoe
Registered Idiot

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Montreal and Toronto stand up quite well actually.
Old April 14th, 2006, 06:43 AM   #535
OettingerCroat
Disenfranchised

Quote:
What a childish post. Especially because NAFTA and the EU are just as comparable as the USA versus the EU.
Old April 14th, 2006, 06:44 AM   #536
OettingerCroat
Disenfranchised

Quote:
I hope that you will be the one driving a car on our amazing infrastructure when gas is $8 a gallon and not me. We'll see then how good our car-based infrastructure is.

i couldn't have said it better myself
Old April 14th, 2006, 06:47 AM   #537
OettingerCroat
Disenfranchised

Quote:
Infrastructure, the last I remember, did not stop with highways.
see thats all that lee and nysgreg infrastructure is, HIGHWAYS. that's where the problems lies.
Old April 14th, 2006, 06:49 AM   #538
DonQui
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJoe
Montreal and Toronto stand up quite well actually.
Sorry, but even Toronto and Montreal get shat upon in terms of their public infrastructure when it gets compared to the EU.

Let's compare Canada's largest city, Toronto, to Spain's largest city, Madrid. Both comparable in terms of city population (~3 million people, although Toronto's is slightly smaller) and comparable metropolitan areas: (~5.5 million people).

Toronto's Subway:

Madrid's Subway:

Toronto's Commuter Rail: (non-electrified I might add)
Note: the black lines refer to connecting bus services, colored lines refer to rail service

Madrid's Commuter Rail: (totally electrified)
DonQui no está en línea  
Old April 14th, 2006, 06:49 AM   #539
OettingerCroat
Disenfranchised

that should pretty much sum it up right there. Excellent comparison Don.

Quote:
area(square km):

at least Europe has some half-decent borders.
Old April 14th, 2006, 06:50 AM   #540
jmancuso
make it so...

Likes (Received): 56

i think i will do us all a favor and put this thread out of its misery. it's an EU vs. US thread.

Closed Thread