daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


View Poll Results: So?
EU 388 79.51%
USA 100 20.49%
Voters: 488. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools
Old April 14th, 2006, 07:23 AM   #561
jmancuso
make it so...
 
jmancuso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Houston
Posts: 6,751
Likes (Received): 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by OettingerCroat
EXACTLY!!!! whereas me, and as far as i can tell, you as well, have seen the world and know that US infrastrucre is truly nothing special! considering how powerful the US is, in all honesty, US infrastructure is a mockery.

read my comments about how our $$ goes towards missiles and tanks instead of the potholes that are tearing up the shocks on my truck on the corner of san felipe and post oak. i wan't dubya to personally to come out here and fix that ******* pothole.

and madrid's metro system is insane, btw
__________________
10 years!
jmancuso no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old April 14th, 2006, 07:24 AM   #562
DrJoe
Registered Idiot
 
DrJoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,671
Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQui
Agreed.

I think that especially by North American standards, Toronto is certainly up there with New York in terms of the quality and quantity of its infrastructure. I just think we need to move beyond our North American standards and start emulating what other countries do.

That was my only point, don't take it as I was knocking Canada or Toronto.
I respectively disagree. Inner-city Toronto can stand up to many Euro cities with its 300 km of light rail and 70 km of subway. When you get out into the 'burbs is when you notice a big difference but then the slack is picked up by highways(lets not get one-dimensional, they are still very important)
__________________
*
DrJoe no está en línea  
Old April 14th, 2006, 07:29 AM   #563
OettingerCroat
Disenfranchised
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Oakland (USA) // Split (CRO)
Posts: 7,678
Likes (Received): 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmancuso
read my comments about how our $$ goes towards missiles and tanks instead of the potholes that are tearing up the shocks on my truck on the corner of san felipe and post oak. i wan't dubya to personally to come out here and fix that ******* pothole.

and madrid's metro system is insane, btw
yah i know i read it, i even said how you are right. i agree 100%.
OettingerCroat no está en línea  
Old April 14th, 2006, 07:30 AM   #564
OettingerCroat
Disenfranchised
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Oakland (USA) // Split (CRO)
Posts: 7,678
Likes (Received): 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJoe
I respectively disagree. Inner-city Toronto can stand up to many Euro cities with its 300 km of light rail and 70 km of subway. When you get out into the 'burbs is when you notice a big difference but then the slack is picked up by highways(lets not get one-dimensional, they are still very important)
yes toronto does hold its own rather well, i must admit. its still not paris.
OettingerCroat no está en línea  
Old April 14th, 2006, 09:25 AM   #565
great prairie
Registered User
 
great prairie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 787
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-275westcoastfl
by roads or higways:USA
by public transit or trains:Europe
I agree
great prairie no está en línea  
Old April 14th, 2006, 11:29 AM   #566
Justme
Gotta lite?
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Manchester (Forecast: Rain)
Posts: 4,951
Likes (Received): 780

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmancuso
yeah but manhattan is a giant rock where houston is mud and clay...and sinking. yay!
Your point is very valid. The construction of an underground system does indeed depend on the ground below. Certainly, some types of ground make it more difficult and expensive to build subways. A perfect example of this is London. If you look at a map of London, you can see most of the network is North of the river. The reason for this is because the clay and sand in the south makes it very expensive to bore tunnels. London however got around this by building the massive above ground network which can be seen in the South.

However, where there is a will, there is a way. Venice is currently constructing it's first subway line, which is quite remarkable considering the difficulties involved. The entire line will be in the lagoon areas with connecting foot tunnels to land points.

I am also surprised that Houston has such a problem with soil considering their number of excellent skyscrapers. These buildings needs good strong foundations.
__________________
I'm doing my bit to save bandwidth by deleting my signature
Justme no está en línea  
Old April 14th, 2006, 01:54 PM   #567
Paddington
Registered User
 
Paddington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: The Southland
Posts: 4,665
Likes (Received): 1261

Infrastructure is used to support the economy. America's GDP per capita is a lot more than that of the EU as a whole, and more than all but one or two European countries individually. So I don't know how you can say that America's infrastructure is inferior to Europe's, when it is capable of supporting such a massive economy.
Paddington no está en línea  
Old April 14th, 2006, 03:21 PM   #568
premutos
BANNED
 
premutos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 154
Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddington
Infrastructure is used to support the economy. America's GDP per capita is a lot more than that of the EU as a whole, and more than all but one or two European countries individually. So I don't know how you can say that America's infrastructure is inferior to Europe's, when it is capable of supporting such a massive economy.
zzzzzZZZZZZZ zzzzzzzzzZZZZZZ zzzzZZZZZZZZ
premutos no está en línea  
Old April 14th, 2006, 04:26 PM   #569
DrJoe
Registered Idiot
 
DrJoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,671
Likes (Received): 8

If we are still talking NAFTA here is some Canadian freight infrastructure.













__________________
*
DrJoe no está en línea  
Old April 14th, 2006, 04:45 PM   #570
Lee
BANNED
 
Lee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Miami
Posts: 1,443
Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by OettingerCroat
the airports carry more crap because to get to their final destination, there are no rails to take them there. theyre either go by truck or plane.

the only reason US airports transit so much shit is because there is NO OTHER FAST WAY of getting the shit to the giant walmarts across the country. had there been well-developed rails, like in normal countries, such huge amounts of air traffic wouldn't exist.

that highway bill is the greatest scam of all history. originally worth $300that was signed just before Hurricane Katrina struck, i.e. early August 2005. once Katrina struck, 25 billion were immediately slashed from the bill. And earlier you say its worth only $100 billion.

the same will happen of this money as happened to Katrina relief money: 90% of it will go to Halliburton. 10% will go to that bridge in alaska which connects two uninhabited islands.

nothing will be of the Highway bill. It exists only to make Bush seem more moderate prior to elections in November, and to keep completely brainwashed voters like Lee supporting the Republicans, waiting for imaginary projects to be built.
Of course there is no other way. And even if there was rail, air traffic would be huge. Airplanes are afterall faster than trains! I don't know the details of this highway bill, but the fact that you think it 90% is going to a "Halliburton" jus shows how lopsided you are. Come on, get real. You really don't think that money will be spent on highways and bridges? And for you information, I am not affiliated with any political party.

Last edited by Lee; April 14th, 2006 at 04:53 PM.
Lee no está en línea  
Old April 14th, 2006, 04:51 PM   #571
Lee
BANNED
 
Lee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Miami
Posts: 1,443
Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddington
Infrastructure is used to support the economy. America's GDP per capita is a lot more than that of the EU as a whole, and more than all but one or two European countries individually. So I don't know how you can say that America's infrastructure is inferior to Europe's, when it is capable of supporting such a massive economy.
I am with you on this debate, but GDP per capita has nothing to do with how much you spend on infrastructure (even though the US spends more than people think).
Lee no está en línea  
Old April 14th, 2006, 04:52 PM   #572
Lee
BANNED
 
Lee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Miami
Posts: 1,443
Likes (Received): 15

Lee no está en línea  
Old April 14th, 2006, 07:12 PM   #573
polako
Kibic
 
polako's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 537
Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmancuso
read my comments about how our $$ goes towards missiles and tanks instead of the potholes that are tearing up the shocks on my truck on the corner of san felipe and post oak. i wan't dubya to personally to come out here and fix that ******* pothole.
So true. Our own infrastructure is crumbling and we're rebuilding someone else's.

Well America has to always be at the forefront of power and stupidity.
polako no está en línea  
Old April 14th, 2006, 07:22 PM   #574
polako
Kibic
 
polako's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 537
Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddington
Infrastructure is used to support the economy. America's GDP per capita is a lot more than that of the EU as a whole, and more than all but one or two European countries individually. So I don't know how you can say that America's infrastructure is inferior to Europe's, when it is capable of supporting such a massive economy.
Yes, but their infrastructure is able to handle a much bigger economy than ours does.If only Europeans would free themselves from the chains of socialism their economy would surely take off.

Last edited by polako; April 14th, 2006 at 08:06 PM.
polako no está en línea  
Old April 14th, 2006, 07:27 PM   #575
OettingerCroat
Disenfranchised
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Oakland (USA) // Split (CRO)
Posts: 7,678
Likes (Received): 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee
And for you information, I am not affiliated with any political party.
thats nice, but i still can guess who you've voted for.
OettingerCroat no está en línea  
Old April 14th, 2006, 07:32 PM   #576
OettingerCroat
Disenfranchised
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Oakland (USA) // Split (CRO)
Posts: 7,678
Likes (Received): 22

canada has much better rails than the US. again, they invest more into rails than the US does. they also have an excellent passenger service. i just wish they were electrified.
OettingerCroat no está en línea  
Old April 14th, 2006, 07:41 PM   #577
OettingerCroat
Disenfranchised
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Oakland (USA) // Split (CRO)
Posts: 7,678
Likes (Received): 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee
Of course there is no other way. And even if there was rail, air traffic would be huge. Airplanes are afterall faster than trains! I don't know the details of this highway bill, but the fact that you think it 90% is going to a "Halliburton" jus shows how lopsided you are. Come on, get real. You really don't think that money will be spent on highways and bridges?
of course things will be built with it, but it will me spent mostly on ludicrous projects that won't help me and you getting to work. like that bridge connencting two uninhabited islands in Alaska.

and air traffic would stay huge, duh.

why?

because its already been well established. americans are too stubborn (not in a mean way, they just are stubborn. theyre not open to change) to suddently switch over to rail traffic. but you can't blame them for that.

had rail traffic developed like it did in normal countries, that is, alongside the interstate system, this woldn't be a topic of discussion.
OettingerCroat no está en línea  
Old April 14th, 2006, 09:18 PM   #578
sbarn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC & Bay Area
Posts: 1,222
Likes (Received): 991

Quote:
Originally Posted by OettingerCroat
the airports carry more crap because to get to their final destination, there are no rails to take them there. theyre either go by truck or plane.

the only reason US airports transit so much shit is because there is NO OTHER FAST WAY of getting the shit to the giant walmarts across the country. had there been well-developed rails, like in normal countries, such huge amounts of air traffic wouldn't exist.
Er, you might want to get your facts straight. According to the Int'l Union of Railways, the U.S. accounted for approximately 1/3 of the worlds rail freight traffic.



Due to size-constraints at the Panama Canal, the majority of goods from China/Asia are shipped to west coast ports (primarily LA), then loaded on double stacked trains to the midwest and the east coasts.
sbarn no está en línea  
Old April 14th, 2006, 09:20 PM   #579
sbarn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC & Bay Area
Posts: 1,222
Likes (Received): 991

On the other hand... passenger travel via railway in the U.S. is nothing short of embarrasing:

sbarn no está en línea  
Old April 14th, 2006, 09:24 PM   #580
sbarn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC & Bay Area
Posts: 1,222
Likes (Received): 991

Btw, I got this info from this website:

http://people.hofstra.edu/geotrans/e...h3c2ben.html#2

It has a bunch of interesting information regarding train travel, I highly recommend checking it out. In short, I think the U.S. has a relatively strong freight rail network, but our passenger rail is a joke.
sbarn no está en línea  


Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 06:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

tech management by Sysprosium