daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: So?
EU 388 79.51%
USA 100 20.49%
Voters: 488. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old April 15th, 2006, 08:19 PM   #601
Justme
Gotta lite?

Likes (Received): 780

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddington
Hrmmm... I should post some more pictures of stack interchanges to make these Euros shit themselves.
Why would we shit ourselves? You have to remember, that 5 stories of concrete roadway smack in an urban area doesn't impress Europeans. Most Europeans would look at that and think either "ugly" or "there goes the environment". There are only a few examples of where it has been tried in Europe before outrage pretty much stopped construction of more. Showing Europeans these stack interchanges is like showing a hard core non smoker a pack of cigarettes. They're not going to suddenly want a smoke.

Using another analogy, it's just like it would be no point in Europeans showing you pictures and maps of the large public transport infrastructure. You'd probably just look at it and think "train, who goes by bloody train?"

Sponsored Links
Old April 15th, 2006, 08:33 PM   #602
Æsahættr

Likes (Received): 5

London has numerous stack interchanges, and also turbine and clover-stack.

A fine example of US infastructure:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...9,0.054159&t=k
Old April 16th, 2006, 12:04 AM   #603
Paddington

Likes (Received): 1261

It's a thing of beauty:

Paddington no está en línea  
Old April 16th, 2006, 12:11 AM   #604
eomer
Bring Constantinople back

Likes (Received): 4733

In USa and Canada, the main problem, imo, is that highway are build and maintained thanks to tax-payer money. The European system with toll is more efficient.

In Canada, I know at least one free ferry-boat (near Tadoussac): that's a non sense. Of course, it can be free for local people but not for tourists.
A l'aube du cinquième jour, regardez vers l'est
eomer no está en línea  
Old April 16th, 2006, 12:19 AM   #605
gronier
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

That is no beauty at all for me.
gronier no está en línea  
Old April 16th, 2006, 12:21 AM   #606
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddington
It's a thing of beauty:

I think it's beautiful as well. Stack interchanges are the pinnacle of highway interchanges. No cloverleafs or hairpin turns.
FM 2258 no está en línea  
Old April 16th, 2006, 12:28 AM   #607
sk

Likes (Received): 3

i dont like them either....by the way,i cant see a protective fence at the sites of the highways...dont they have a protective fence?also as far as i know,here we have some sort of shining rods in between the two opposite lane directions to show the way at night,do you have those?i cant see those either in the pics....
sk no está en línea  
Old April 16th, 2006, 12:28 AM   #608
premutos
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

Actually like some said above, America is not just the USA

America goes from the nroth of Alaska and Canada all the way down to the southern tip of South America.
premutos no está en línea  
Old April 16th, 2006, 12:42 AM   #609
FREKI
Lord of Legoland

Likes (Received): 6385

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJoe

That is infrastructure
So is this:

( the habour bus )

Plus all major streets and roads in Denmark has bikepaths on each side...

I love driving, but there's other ways to get around... many other ways!
Old April 16th, 2006, 12:44 AM   #610
jmancuso
make it so...

Likes (Received): 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme
I would suspect that the main reason Houston doesn't have an underground subway is because of the way the city developed, into low density sprawl. It simply doesn't have the density to build such infrastructure. Metro's only work when there are large groups of people within close walking proximity to stations. It would simply be a waste of money to built a subway that goes to low density suburbs.
that is true.

Quote:
We also have different attitudes between the regions to how a city should develop. Because of obvious space available, Houston built out in suburban sprawl. Texans have become so used to this, I would imagine the majority prefer it. Drag a Houstonian (is that what you guys are called) to Madrid, and they may be shortly impressed with the infrastructure, but soon long for their space and lower densities, and their garage with their car. Likewise, if you drag a Madridian (I'm probably loosing this one with Madrid's naming convention) to the suburbs of Houston, they will no doubt marvel at the size of their new house, but soon miss the high densities, street life and transport infrastructure of back home.
those people living in the big houses out in suburbia unkowingly have a poorer quality of life than a typical madrileno living in more modest setting becuase that suburbanite often has to spend a good deal amount of time communting back and forth from work and the suburbs are not known for their cultural amenities. houston is attractive to its low cost of living and this is why the population has exploded; people come here mostly out of neccesaity so the city gov't never real had to make an attempt to me the place more attractive becuase people are moving here regardless. houston is (in)famous for its lack of zoning so anything and everything goes and the insane amount of surface lots, cheesy strip malls and lack of human scale in most areas.

europe places a higher value on asthetics and the realtion to people where american cities go for the biggest bang for the buck...massive highways and low density sprawl.

as for me, i would drop houston for madrid in a new york minute. i like the density and compactness of older cities which is one of the reasons i am moving to providence (rhode sialnd)

@ paddington: there's nothing even remotely attractive about that. also, i take it you don't have to deal with freeways becuase for the most of that do, we can find a lot more things more apealling.
Old April 16th, 2006, 01:19 AM   #611
Lee
BANNED

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Essentially, what I am saying, is that both regions do what is needed for their style of living. Yes, I do think the infrastructure is greater in Europe, but that is because of different lifestyles. Cars simply require less infrastructure, and the US in general is designed much more for cars. The infrastructure works well for Americans, if it didn't, then I am sure they would improve it.
Exactly. BRAVO!!!
Lee no está en línea  
Old April 16th, 2006, 07:35 AM   #612
Æsahættr

Likes (Received): 5

I love stacks, I wished we had one in the TC but honestly they are common in Europe too.
Old April 16th, 2006, 01:59 PM   #613
eomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme
Cars simply require less infrastructure...
Are you shure about that ? I absolutly don't subscribe to this point of view.
- If there were no subburban trains in Paris (I don't talk about the metro but only about subburban trains), 40 more higway lanes should be built for this trafic.
- A railway is not wider than an ordinary road (2x1 lane) and can transport more people than a 2x6 lanes motorway. It's the same for long distance trafic: an HSR = 3 motorways but the cost is only twice (10 M €uro/km for HSR, 5 M €uro/km for a 2x2 lanes motorway).
- More cars need more car parks.
- More cars = more accidents.
- More cars = more pollution.
eomer no está en línea  
Old April 16th, 2006, 02:29 PM   #614
Saab
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

you have to pay to drive on french motorways?
Saab no está en línea  
Old April 16th, 2006, 02:40 PM   #615
Saab
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Why would we shit ourselves? You have to remember, that 5 stories of concrete roadway smack in an urban area doesn't impress Europeans. Most Europeans would look at that and think either "ugly" or "there goes the environment". There are only a few examples of where it has been tried in Europe before outrage pretty much stopped construction of more. Showing Europeans these stack interchanges is like showing a hard core non smoker a pack of cigarettes. They're not going to suddenly want a smoke.

Using another analogy, it's just like it would be no point in Europeans showing you pictures and maps of the large public transport infrastructure. You'd probably just look at it and think "train, who goes by bloody train?"
I am ******* impressed by those interchanges. Screw the damn greenies, I say build more of them hahaha. Australia has finally said **** you to the damn greenies and NIMBY's by building a stack in Melbourne and Sydney and Melbourne has atleast 3-4 freeway projects underway with a number of 3 level t-junctions. Stacking roads is the way to go.

Showing quality-infrastructure minded people these stacks is like showing a hard core smoker a pack of cigars!
Saab no está en línea  
Old April 16th, 2006, 02:41 PM   #616
snot

Likes (Received): 2390

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saab
The big long distance motorways, yes. But near or in urban area's they're free.
snot no está en línea  
Old April 16th, 2006, 02:43 PM   #617
snot

Likes (Received): 2390

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM 2258
I think it's beautiful as well. Stack interchanges are the pinnacle of highway interchanges. No cloverleafs or hairpin turns.
We have some like this in Europe as well.
snot no está en línea  
Old April 16th, 2006, 03:00 PM   #618
mic of Orion
I come in peace \V/

Likes (Received): 48

EU, IMHO...

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" Benjamin Franklin

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke

"Religion leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to bigotry, bigotry leads to suffering!!!" Mic of Orion
mic of Orion no está en línea  
Old April 16th, 2006, 03:02 PM   #619
Minato ku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saab
French motorways are free in Paris area.
Old April 16th, 2006, 09:55 PM   #620
eomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by minato ku
French motorways are free in Paris area.
Exept A14 between La Defense and Orgeval and the futur A86 in the west.
eomer no está en línea  

Closed Thread