daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: So?
EU 388 79.51%
USA 100 20.49%
Voters: 488. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old July 8th, 2006, 07:32 AM   #661
D'Transporter
A Carolinian

Likes (Received): 0

Nothing beats the views offered by the "17 Mile Drive" in Montery

Sponsored Links
Old July 11th, 2006, 08:33 AM   #662
NcSc74
NorthofSCborder

I-95 from Baltimore to the Delaware Mem. bridge. Ample lanes lots of scenery from urban to rural back to urban. I love that stretch I have always looked forward to driving through B-more. The skyline views are great. Also the view of Wilmington DE with its dense little skyline from the Bridge is cool also. You can make out Phillys tallest from the bridge too.
NcSc74 no está en línea  
Old September 11th, 2006, 05:02 PM   #663
greek_eagle

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtBk
Not all American drivers are bad but a great number of them don't seem to
belong on the roads or freeways. Good examples are retards doing 50 mph on left lane in 75 mph zone and not moving over. One of things i like about European drivers is that they move over when a faster car aproaches them.
Having lived in Europe and North America...I must ask you a question about the philosophy of some and the left lane. If somebody is in the left lane..doing 75 in a 75 zone and someone doing more than 75 comes up to you flashing his lights who is in the wrong. ....and this answer please in reference to speed only...not passing lane regulations. Thanks
greek_eagle no está en línea  
Old September 11th, 2006, 05:07 PM   #664
lindenthaler
ubahnista

Likes (Received): 175

Wow, this thread is back from dead
lindenthaler no está en línea  
Old September 11th, 2006, 06:57 PM   #665
Very Controversial
Support The Environment

Likes (Received): 4

I always thought American highways are the best in the world.
Old September 11th, 2006, 07:08 PM   #666
RKS
OT XV

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Very Controversial
I always thought American highways are the best in the world.
and why?
RKS no está en línea  
Old September 11th, 2006, 09:00 PM   #667
greek_eagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKS
and why?

The US system is basically the most comprehensive system in the entire world consisting of a federal interstate system, an older US highway system which is connected within states with state highways and on a more local system with county highways. Now depending on where and what the need is will depend if it will be a freeway, expressway, parkway, tollway, highway, divided highway with or without interchanges, multi level juntions etc. Putting all these ribbons of concrete/asphalt together you get the largest system of this kind in the world. The system is taken care of quite satisfactorily...I've driven the USA countless of times..and wear and tear is taken care of quickly in comparison to other countries. If someone were to take other things into consideration such as the surface of the roadway, the lighting, the grating on the sides to alert drivers the degree of the curves and the speed that these are taken at...the length of the on ramps and exit ramps amongst an array of other things, you'll find that US highways in general fare better than their counterparts worldwide! In much of Europe the freeway network is very very good, and they have to deal with the topography and do so quite well...in the USA they deal with this topography in the Rocky Mtn states, the Cascades and the Sierra Nevada. Overall though, the US system is superior. I lived in Canada and the USA before moving to my current home in Europe, and when I lived in the border metropolis of Vancouver, BC/WA [I say WA because many people live in Washington and work in BC or go to school in the other or vice versa]..anyhow, the truckers unless, they were hauling a load north to Alaska, Yukon or to Calgary/Edmonton,AB, normally or often opted for I-90. Firstly, the standard is superior to the Canadian Trans-Canada Highway which is freeway within metro Vancouver....after Chilliwack it is downgraded to expressway and then to ghighway. Using I-5 to I-90, you can take this route thru WA, ID, WY, MT, MN in Minnesotta you can deliver to Winnipeg quite quickly by detouring if I can remember to I-29 all the way through Chicago then when you hit MI, just drive thru Detroit till you hit ON. Much quicker, better driving conditions, even in the dead of winter....cheaper fuel [US tax is much lower per gallon], more facilities for truckers and the like. Canadians lost so much money, however you look at it. Restaurants, hotels, motels, truck stops, Truck scales, gas stations etc etc. If the highways system in Canada was as good as the US one, the Canadian truckers wouldn't go thru the US side. For what reason? And please do not tell me about the Macdonald-Cartier Fwy in Toronto again. That's only one freeway....and it seems that everyone thinks Canada is full of 16 lane fwys plus their service roads everywhere! Far from it! I think I'd better now

Last edited by greek_eagle; September 12th, 2006 at 02:10 AM.
Old September 11th, 2006, 10:14 PM   #668
Minato ku

French autoroutes are toll but have many services

Limit speed

Under normal conditions - 130 km/h (80 mph)
In rain or wet road conditions - 110 km/h (70 mph)
In heavy fog or snowy/icy conditions - 50 km/h (30 mph)

one way driving: the lanes driving in the opposite direction are separated by at least a crash barrier which is designed to resist the oblique impact of a car at up to 180 km/h (110 mph); no intersecting roads but bridges and tunnels;
larger lanes, at least 2 (often 3) lanes driving in the same direction, with a larger turning radius;

long acceleration and slowing lanes to get in or out of the autoroute without disturbing the traffic;

presence of an additional emergency lane where it is forbidden to drive (except for the emergency services) and to park (except in case of emergency);

presence of emergency call boxes every 2 km (1.2 miles) on each side, that allow to call for help with the possibility to locate the call; some call boxes have flashing light that warn when there is a problem ahead;

presence every 10 km (6 miles) (4-6 minutes of driving) of resting zones (aire de repos, i.e. car parks with public toilets), and every 40 km (25 miles) (20-30 minutes of driving) of a resting zone with a restaurant.

regular patrols of the security services, to clear any obstacle and protect drivers in trouble (usually a breakdown or a flat tyre) with appropriate warning signs and beacons;

dynamic information panels which warn about possible difficulties ahead (accident, men at work, traffic jam);

an FM radio station (107.7 MHz) dedicated to information about traffic conditions on the most of the network;

on heavy traffic days : organisation of specific information and recreation events at rest areas;

many radars automatiques (permanent automatic radars) being actually installed on lot of places

From wilkipedia I am very lazy
Old September 12th, 2006, 09:36 AM   #669
polako
Kibic

Likes (Received): 5

I think Europeans suffer from an inferiority complex that is why every other thread we see on this forum is about either showing or trying to prove how Europe is so much better than the US. Pathetic.

The fact of the matter is that America is more free and it's a lot easier to find a job and become successful due to less business regulation than in Europe. Who cares about highways. I would prefer to live in the US even if it had the worst highways in the world.
polako no está en línea  
Old September 12th, 2006, 10:56 AM   #670
greek_eagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by polako
I think Europeans suffer from an inferiority complex that is why every other thread we see on this forum is about either showing or trying to prove how Europe is so much better than the US. Pathetic.

The fact of the matter is that America is more free and it's a lot easier to find a job and become successful due to less business regulation than in Europe. Who cares about highways. I would prefer to live in the US even if it had the worst highways in the world.
I am going to have to disagree with you on this one. Europeans do not have an inferiority complex. They really don't need to! C'mon now...as an American towards an American...we were brought up believing we are number one in everything. We are taught to win at everything...etc. Now, this is not bad...though, if someone questions this ....that doesn't mean that they have an inferiority complex. That's just automatic defense when you believed that our "highways'" possibly being number 2 was threatened.
You really get to see "America" and how she behaves and how others see her...when you are abroad. Sometimes it gets to the point where you are embarrassed. It was like the basketball world championship last week...the Americans were going on and on...and lost to Greece [where I live]...and then sulked. Then of course Greeks thought that if they beat the US, then Spain is nothing-especially with their star player injured! Then the Greeks lost. And of course they deserved to lose as the Spanish team played wonderfully. Another thing to think about is the Euro mentality when it comes to roadways vs trains......and .......the American mentality about the same thing. It should answer some of our questions.
Old September 12th, 2006, 01:30 PM   #671
gronier
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by polako

Europeand don't have an iferiority complex at all, from where do you think all the freedom ideas and all that staff came from?? Mars??? And also, you can't compare European Cities with American ones, they are thousands of miles away. Just compare Phoenix or Houston with Barcelona or Florence, just no comparison, and even the bigger cties don't compare with London, Paris, Rome, Milan, etcetera. Probaly "others" may have an inferiority complex.
gronier no está en línea  
Old September 12th, 2006, 01:38 PM   #672
KIWIKAAS

Likes (Received): 752

I think your choice of title for this thread tends to indicate a certain inferiority complex.
Youre above post just confirms this again.
Going on your 1.choice of title 2. your reactionary posting , I cant blame anyone for thinking that you do indeed have an inferiority complex.
KIWIKAAS no está en línea  
Old September 12th, 2006, 03:23 PM   #673
GNU
Gnuru

Likes (Received): 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by greek_eagle
Overall though, the US system is superior. I lived in Canada and the USA before moving to my current home in Europe,
It depends where you live in europe. Im also sure that the american system beats the greek system of course.
Yet, other countries are more advanced when it comes to infrastructure projects.
I think we have to look at Germany, France, Britain, Netherlands, etc... for comparison.
Germany for example has a very extensive autobahn network.
Its the 3rd biggest network in the world after the US and China.
And that says something if you compare those countries in terms of size.
Additionally we have the so called "Bundesstrassen" (federal roads/streets) for regional connections.
They are tiptop in quality like the autobahn, even though they are smaller.
On a whole I think that in terms of modernity, density and quality the autobahn wins.
In terms of lanes etc. it has to go to the US.

this is an example of a Bundesstrasse btw:

GNU no está en línea  
Old September 12th, 2006, 03:39 PM   #674
TheDro

Heres my observation on the key differences between Europe and the U.S. which reflects the reason why most European highways (and roads) are in much better condition than most roads and highways in the states.

One is that everything is contracted by the lowest bidder, from every aspect to designing/planning of highways to the actual construction and materials used for the project. Also maintenance of most highways and roads in the states is also done on the cheap, like patching a highway full of cracks (due to thin asphault application) with tar, theres alot of roads like that in the states. A country like Germany would not allow that type of maintenance (or the cutting corners on constructing the road) well except maybe in the state of Thueringen perhaps, but it is unacceptable to have roads in a condition that is unsafe for high speed travel. Alot of European countries will spend good money on good planning, design, and engineering of their infrastructure, and also good money on maintaining their infrastructure. German highways feature guardrails all along most of their autobahns, which makes it impossible to leave the road with a vehicle, and to ensure safety, and also they plan their highways to be safe for their wildlife as well. They design their autobahns to feature wildlife dedicated underpasses or overpasses, and fencing to keep them from ever setting foot on the road, so roadkill is rare or non-existant (I've never seen roadkill in Germany). And they do have wildlife too, I've seen beavers, deer, foxes, rabbits, etc. I wish we would spend the money to protect our wildlife from our highways, instead of just letting them risk their life and perhaps one of our own to an accident involving an animal and car.

Other similar observations that I've made is that we (Americans) build everything we can by saving as much money as we can, while the Germans don't. Take a look at the way we build houses in America, stick frame homes with plywood barriers and sheetrocked interior walls. Then if you look at a home being built in Germany, you'll notice that all walls are ceramic bricks, and load bearing walls are as thick as a foot, exterior walls are also a foot thick. Also most homes in Germany are multi level, 2-3 or more stories tall, but each floor is concrete with reinforced steel, so whatever level you're on you feel as if you're on the ground floor. Many of us know that American homes with 2 or more stories are also all stick frame, and if you're not on the ground floor, you certainly won't forget since walking around on a stick frame floor isn't the same as walking on a floor thats concrete slab. In german homes the only sheetrock you'll find is in the top floor of the house, which the sheetrock is used for the ceiling. Though a new house that is around 1800sqft multi level (basement, main, 2nd) on a lot of maybe 4000sqft would run around 250-300k euros, compared to paying $200k for a home of similar square footage, but instead a ranch with an 8000-12000 sqft lot in the southern region of the states. Though the materials used in American homes aren't the same as those used in german ones, and other factors which make german homes more expensive is that labor is expensive, land is expensive, and taxes. Though theres alot of hidden costs of American homes I've noticed, like pest control (not including termite protection), higher utility bills, and an emerging higher fuel costs to travel to and from your house and to work, shop, etc. Most german homes don't have central A/C or A/C at all, and most don't even have ceiling fans, and are still comfortable during the summers, due to the construction of the house, being all masonry instead of a stick frame house with a plywood barrier and fiberglass insulation.

Overall the Europeans build their highways to last a long time and have a road surface thats very comfortable to ride on, and also they build their houses to last forever, even survive wars it seems... (most powerlines are underground).

Last edited by TheDro; September 12th, 2006 at 03:54 PM.
TheDro no está en línea  
Old September 12th, 2006, 10:26 PM   #675
greek_eagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checker
It depends where you live in europe. Im also sure that the american system beats the greek system of course.
Yet, other countries are more advanced when it comes to infrastructure projects.
I think we have to look at Germany, France, Britain, Netherlands, etc... for comparison.
Germany for example has a very extensive autobahn network.
Its the 3rd biggest network in the world after the US and China.
And that says something if you compare those countries in terms of size.
Additionally we have the so called "Bundesstrassen" (federal roads/streets) for regional connections.
They are tiptop in quality like the autobahn, even though they are smaller.
On a whole I think that in terms of modernity, density and quality the autobahn wins.
In terms of lanes etc. it has to go to the US.

this is an example of a Bundesstrasse btw:

First of all, the topic here wasn't the US and the Greek Highway system specifically--rather European Highways in contrast to their American counterparts. Now, as a highway system in totality, the US system as I previously stressed surpasses the European system in my opinion. I've driven it thru many countries, and have found a system that is similar to the interstate system in the US where you find differences from state to state. In the European Union, you will never find roadways in the condition you find them in New York state. New York is in a state of despair! Within inches of the welcome to ny sign, the quality falls drastically. Now, because you happened to mention the Greek Highway System and added "of course" to emphasize your belief, let it be known, that the freeways where they are built are built in a similar and up to date fashion as the US system. There are multi level interchanges and stacks like back home, and I wouldn't say that there is any reason to think they are inferior. The only thing I'd like to see is the building of even more in metro Athens as the city is quite large both in size and population. If you had read my comments correctly and properly, you'd see that in my opinion the US is def. a master in highway building. I just don't like the image and opinions that are conveyed; saying Europeans have an inferiority complex! [when they certainly do not]. Much of what we have in contemporary society derives from Europe. Cheap Labor and abundant financial resources is what America had at the right time! And of course the rest is modern history. That does not make anyone number one nor number two. We don't need to get into politics to find out while we were building interstates, other countries were heavily taxing their population in order to pay the interest rates on the warfare [for example] that the US sold them for a war we know the US started. On the other hand, wars are often the reason infrastructure is improved..for example Germany's autobahn system was started during the world war. Here in Athens, three of this city's expressways were constructed during the military dictatorship.
Overall though, like I said in my first comment....the US's system in my eyes is superior both in size and in quality. The European system is quality wise I believe is more or less the same....but they lose out when it comes to total miles & miles per person. [ i don't know if i made my point]
Old September 13th, 2006, 01:18 AM   #676
AdamChobits
♥사랑해요♥

Likes (Received): 15

Another thread where people measure their *****...
Old September 13th, 2006, 02:26 AM   #677
gronier
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIWIKAAS

I think your choice of title for this thread tends to indicate a certain inferiority complex.
Youre above post just confirms this again.
Going on your 1.choice of title 2. your reactionary posting , I cant blame anyone for thinking that you do indeed have an inferiority complex.
Mmmmm, Just a fact, I'm not european.
gronier no está en línea  
Old September 13th, 2006, 02:26 AM   #678
greek_eagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam_Woowei
Another thread where people measure their *****...

IS THAT WHAT WE'RE DOING NOW? OK...
METRIC OR ENGLISH UNITS?
Old September 13th, 2006, 04:34 AM   #679
polako
Kibic

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by greek_eagle
I am going to have to disagree with you on this one. Europeans do not have an inferiority complex. They really don't need to! C'mon now...as an American towards an American...we were brought up believing we are number one in everything. We are taught to win at everything...etc. Now, this is not bad...though, if someone questions this ....that doesn't mean that they have an inferiority complex. That's just automatic defense when you believed that our "highways'" possibly being number 2 was threatened.
You really get to see "America" and how she behaves and how others see her...when you are abroad. Sometimes it gets to the point where you are embarrassed. It was like the basketball world championship last week...the Americans were going on and on...and lost to Greece [where I live]...and then sulked. Then of course Greeks thought that if they beat the US, then Spain is nothing-especially with their star player injured! Then the Greeks lost. And of course they deserved to lose as the Spanish team played wonderfully. Another thing to think about is the Euro mentality when it comes to roadways vs trains......and .......the American mentality about the same thing. It should answer some of our questions.
America when it competes on a global scale is still number one overall, but it isn't number one in everything.
polako no está en línea  
Old September 13th, 2006, 06:39 AM   #680
Effer
E Pluribus Unum

Likes (Received): 226

Most of the highways look beautiful!
Effer no está en línea  

Closed Thread