daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: So?
EU 388 79.51%
USA 100 20.49%
Voters: 488. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old November 5th, 2006, 07:04 PM   #761
FallenGuard

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1491 View Post
But wealthy begins with good infrastructure. The EU even funds road construction outside the EU (Croatia) and even outside Europe (Kazakhstan).

But countries like Hungary, Czechia and Slovenia developed a motorway network, long before they joined the EU.

But though, i think it's a good think for Western Europe to share our wealthy with those other countries. We are not getting worse from it, but they getting better. Especially countries like Estonia, Lituvia and Latvia.
I agree, but many People (including myself) think we are moving WAY too fast expanding the EU. People are not even asked (by Referendum) if they want more Countries to join. The Expansion should be slow and controlled in my Opinion, a new country is a big change. Especially if many new countries are "poor", it has a big impact on the EU.

But if course it is good for the Join Candidates, they work hard to meet the EU Standards (Anti-Corruption Programs, Freedom of Speech etc), which increases their Quality of living.

Hm, this has drifted off Topic, but i'm happy to discuss it in another Thread if you wish.
FallenGuard no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old November 5th, 2006, 09:12 PM   #762
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19369

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallenGuard View Post
People are not even asked (by Referendum) if they want more Countries to join. .
Maybe it's better to not have a Referendum for all cases. In most cases the experts now things better than the citizens.

But i agree on you that the last expansion was too much at one time. Countries like Hungary, Slovenia and Czechia were ready for it, but i think Poland and Slovakia and the Baltic states was a little too fast.

Expansion by Romania and Bulgaria by next year is too fast, if you ask me. Romania is like a 3rd world country in many visions.

But it's better for those east European citizens, they're getting better of it.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora  
Old November 5th, 2006, 09:20 PM   #763
kokpit
BANNED

Likes (Received): 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallenGuard View Post
The Expansion should be slow and controlled in my Opinion, a new country is a big change. Especially if many new countries are "poor", it has a big impact on the EU.
Impact of joining new states from Eastern Europe on the EU is minimal, even if they are poor (I don't mean big country like a Turkey). Biggest problem of EU is called globalisation. Some western EU countries are becoming less and less competitive at the global market. The german or french workman can do same work as workman let's say from Poland, India or China, but needs much more money. The only way out is to follow scandinavian countries like Finland or Sweden which invest most % of their GDP to Education and Reseach & Developement in Europe, these countries are one the most competitive (economically) countries in the world.
kokpit no está en línea  
Old November 5th, 2006, 09:32 PM   #764
kokpit
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1491 View Post
But i agree on you that the last expansion was too much at one time. Countries like Hungary, Slovenia and Czechia were ready for it, but i think Poland and Slovakia and the Baltic states was a little too fast.
Slovakia? Are you kidding me? Have you ever been there? You would be very surprised how rich that country is. Same for the Baltics, which are very small after all and joing of them did absolutely nothing to EU (BTW, their GDP grows about 10% y/y for many years, Estonia is now as rich as Portugal and remaing baltic countries will follow soon). Poland is big and not so rich, but it's growing fast and in next ten years it will draw level with poorest countries of old member states.

You simply have to search for the reason of current problems of western countries somewhere else, not in the Eastern Europe.
kokpit no está en línea  
Old November 5th, 2006, 09:40 PM   #765
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I've been to Czechia, and what i've seen from Slovakia, that it's a beautiful country, but not so modern like Hungary or Czechia.
Old November 5th, 2006, 09:50 PM   #766
kokpit
BANNED

^ So you have to visit it again Trust me, there is no gap between Czechia, Slovakia and Hungary. And Slovakia GDP is growing about 6-7% y/y and will overtake Portugal in next two years.

OK, this is a bit off topic so I'm quiting this thread. But you should definitely change your opinion on Eastern Europe, Iron curtain isn't in Europe anymore
kokpit no está en línea  
Old November 6th, 2006, 12:26 AM   #767
Nephasto
Enlightened user

Likes (Received): 71

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokpit View Post
Estonia is now as rich as Portugal and remaing baltic countries will follow soon).
Huh?!
I've never heard about that, and I have a really hard time believing in that.
Slovenia is as rich as Portugal, but it's the only country from the 10 new ones to be that rich.
Old November 6th, 2006, 03:53 PM   #768
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Estonia, Lituvia and Latvia are quite modern countries. I think they reached the level of Slovenia and Portugal very soon.

They also have a motorway network, but it's not too large, because of the low amount of population.

As what i know, these 3 countries were always the richest of the soviet union.
Old November 7th, 2006, 11:54 AM   #769
Vinny was here

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Estonia, Lituvia and Latvia are quite modern countries. I think they reached the level of Slovenia and Portugal very soon.

They also have a motorway network, but it's not too large, because of the low amount of population.
I'm sorry for you, but the quality of the motorway network don't give always an impression of the wealthness of the country.
Belgium and the United States seems less developed than The Netherlands for instance, but both countries have a bigger GDP/capita than the Netherlands....
Vinny was here no está en línea  
Old November 7th, 2006, 05:20 PM   #770
ChrisZwolle
Road user

That's right, but this thread was about motorways
Old November 7th, 2006, 05:33 PM   #771
marax0
Canonier

Likes (Received): 283

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxxPower View Post

I have loved it visiting Montereux this summer
Astonishing view..

few photos more

Spanish E9( Barcelona-Toulse ) (Mercedes has the best looking plates in Europe - Principat Andora)

And polish motorway

A briudge for animals

a normal one with Rainbow colours (ugly one )

marax0 no está en línea  
Old November 7th, 2006, 05:56 PM   #772
Aokromes
Patatero Inside

Likes (Received): 2648

AP-1 From Arrasate to Bergara on Basque Country, under construction:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noico View Post
Fotos de la autopista AP-1 (Arrasate-Bergara)

Unas fotos sacadas esta mañana.
Las obras de la autopista a la altura de Arrasate-Mondragón:

Otro dia con mas tiempo sacare fotos del tramo Arrasate-Arlaban en obras.

Aqui otras fotos del tramo ya abierto entre Arrasate y Bergara (Ampliable a 3 carriles cuando la autovía GI-632 enlace con la AP-1)

Entrada al tunel dirección Bergara:

Salida a la altura de San Prudencio:

Paneles de direcciones:

Salida a Bergara y enlace con la carretera GI-632:

Cabina de peaje (me ha salido la foto borrosa)

Enlace con el peaje sur de Bergara y GI-632 vista desde la GI-627

Vista de la autopista en Bergara Norte;

The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards - and even then I have my doubts. Gene Spafford.
I am Basque, not Russian, the "Siberia" thing is a joke.
Aokromes no está en línea  
Old November 7th, 2006, 06:01 PM   #773
marax0
Canonier

Likes (Received): 283

nice i saw that also E9 is under construcrion ( few tunels, bridges ecc)

ps. Could you translate description of photos?
marax0 no está en línea  
Old November 8th, 2006, 01:29 PM   #774
mabuse
Proud Texan

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by marax0 View Post
ps. Could you translate description of photos?
some explanations:

- first 3 pics: A1 under construction seen from south Mondragon
- Driving between Mondragon&Bergara (4 km.)
- South Bergara exit, you can see the toll (tag available)
- Last pics: A1 seen from the ground near Bergara

This map shows the location of the pics & basque country network:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPT View Post
Aunque afortunadamente va a tardar poco en quedar obsoleto, ahi va una actualizacion al mapa de carreteras:

As you can see, A1 is not finished yet, especially in the south conexion with Vitoria/Gasteiz, so most of the international traffic from iberian peninsula to EU still using the old N1, and that´s why you can see a very poor traffic in the A1 ( for the moment )
mabuse no está en línea  
Old November 8th, 2006, 06:34 PM   #775
ChrisZwolle
Road user

How's the condition of the A8/AP8 between Irun en Bilbao? I heard this is one of the oldest Spanish motorways, so in a bad condition?
Old November 8th, 2006, 07:09 PM   #776
Nephasto
Enlightened user

^It's in excelente condition, the only problem is that the terrain is quite dificult and the motorways is quite old(built in the 70's), so the geometry of the motorway is not very good - many "sharp" curves, for a motorway.
There are many streaches limited to 100km/h or even 80km/h(in tunnels).
Old November 10th, 2006, 11:23 PM   #777
Aokromes
Patatero Inside

Hernani-Astigarraga variant U/C:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabuse View Post
Tras una buena temporada sin desempolvar la cámara, me he dado una vuelta para sacar unas fotos a pocas semanas -supuestamente- de que sea inaugurado el tramo Variante de Hernani-Astigarraga.

En primer lugar, el viaducto que cruza el río Urumea, al norte de Hernani:

Algo más de cerca, debajo de la nueva autovía la vieja carretera Hernani-Donostia por Astigarraga:

Detalle de los falsos túneles en los que termina el viaducto...se nota que están trabajando con ganas

Y un par de detalles para completar esta 1ª ronda de fotos:

El enlace de Hernani norte, justo en el punto en el que viaducto se une con la variante de Hernani. No se aprecia del todo desgraciadamente...

y unos entrañables commieblocks de Hernani

The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards - and even then I have my doubts. Gene Spafford.
Old November 11th, 2006, 05:31 PM   #778
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Which Autovia/Autopista is that?
Old November 12th, 2006, 02:43 AM   #779
Nephasto
Enlightened user

^It's a short motorway, which is called Autovia del Urumea and will link S. Sebastian with Andoain.
Old January 3rd, 2007, 12:19 AM   #780
Aokromes
Patatero Inside

AP-1 bridge U/C at Garagartza, Gipuzkoa

Quote:
Originally Posted by xabiergo View Post
URTE BERRI ON

FELIZ AÑO

Hola a todos:

Hoy para comer he ido a Garagartza (Arrasate), como todos los años, pero ante mi padre y yo hemos ido a ver las obras del viaducto de marin (gipuzkoa), en las obras de la autopista AP1 (Eibar-Vitoria)

Es impresionante!

Tener unas fotos

SI QUEREIS MAS DECIRMELO, Q TENGO MAS

ES IMPRESIONANTE

Closed Thread