daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: So?
EU 388 79.51%
USA 100 20.49%
Voters: 488. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old March 3rd, 2007, 09:07 AM   #801
TheCat
IsraCanadian :)

Likes (Received): 6

Well there are many factors. Many countries nowadays are building (or have recently built) very "good looking" modern highways that look simply awesome because they are new. However, one has to look at the overall road network (for example, a country with 40,000km of "okay" modern freeways has in fact a superior road network to a country with 500km of brand-new highways of which pictures are being shown over and over again). However, the size of countries (or rather, of populated regions only) also matters. For example, it is not even possible to compare the sheer size of the US highway system with that of Canada, and yet in most major population centres Canada has an extensive highway system, which is about the same as in the US in quality, and in fact often joins the US network seamlessly and in an integrated manner.

Also, about Asia - China's highway system is definitely the most extensive one, but then again the overall state of the country's roads (aside from the brand new expressway network, which is very nice) is quite poor. Japan's system is not as extensive, but then again Japan is a much smaller country. Overall, Japan's overall road system is currently of much higher quality than China's. Also one must consider the driving culture a little in my opinion, because some countries, like India, are also building some nice highway systems, but the overall situation on the roads is chaotic without any real traffic laws (that are actually followed).

And referring to the person who mentioned the Middle East for Asia, the ME definitely doesn't have the best highway system of Asia. But if we are talking about the ME only, then gulf countries such as UAE come to mind. However, if we are talking about a really extensive and well-maintained road network with a modern driving culture in the ME, it is definitely Israel.

Sponsored Links
Old March 3rd, 2007, 10:35 AM   #802
Chicagoago

Likes (Received): 1451

Not trying to stary a riot here, but I am at the moment watching a program called "Modern Marvels; Paving America", and it's all about the numerous cross country highways in the United States. I'm curious why many of you think that Canada has the best highways in North America.

I am totally in love with Canada, and have been there many times, but as far as the "best highways in North America", I grew up with a family that traversed EVERYWHERE in Canada and the United States. It was all amazing, and I don't downplay any of it, but the highway system in the United States is truely something so amazing. It's hard to realize until you drive some of the tens of thousands of miles of the system. I'm not saying the US is "better" than Canada at all, but the diversity of its highway system is honestly something to be appreciated.
Chicagoago no está en línea  
Old March 3rd, 2007, 03:09 PM   #803
sonysnob

Likes (Received): 860

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoago View Post
Not trying to stary a riot here, but I am at the moment watching a program called "Modern Marvels; Paving America", and it's all about the numerous cross country highways in the United States. I'm curious why many of you think that Canada has the best highways in North America.

I am totally in love with Canada, and have been there many times, but as far as the "best highways in North America", I grew up with a family that traversed EVERYWHERE in Canada and the United States. It was all amazing, and I don't downplay any of it, but the highway system in the United States is truely something so amazing. It's hard to realize until you drive some of the tens of thousands of miles of the system. I'm not saying the US is "better" than Canada at all, but the diversity of its highway system is honestly something to be appreciated.
As a Canadian I have to agree. Canada and the US have a very different kind of highway network. Some sections of Canada are quite sparsely populated, and while the road is excellent, through these areas it often isn't 4-laned and will probably never need to be. The US interstate network certainly has its flaws, but generally speaking is a very good network, with excellently designed roads (that sometimes need resurfacing).

Furthermore, the condition of US roads depends greatly on the state. I travel to Western New York a fair amount, and New York State has excellent roads, they are well designed, and very well surfaced. One state away, Pennsylvania is notorious for the poor condition of its roads. Same goes in Canada, the province of Ontario generally has very well maintained roads in its jurisdiction, however, travelers to Quebec will quickly notice that la belle province doesn't take the same good care of its roadways.
sonysnob no está en línea  
Old March 3rd, 2007, 04:04 PM   #804
Cicerón
Espere verde

Likes (Received): 53

North America - USA
South America - Chile
Europe - France
Asia - Japan
Africa - South Africa
Oceania - Australia
Cicerón no está en línea  
Old March 3rd, 2007, 05:15 PM   #805
gronier
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:

Because most highways in the US are really poorly maintained.
gronier no está en línea  
Old March 3rd, 2007, 07:01 PM   #806
Chicagoago

^ I hear ya. I've driven from coast to coast, mexico to Canada (multiple times actually - grandparents just loved hauling me across the country in their van, god bless em), and I've seen my share of bad roads.

I still dont' think MOST are poorly maintained though. Maybe I'm just ignorant because I live here and it's "normal", but of the roads I've been on in Europe and South America, the US didn't stand out as a LOT worse.
Old March 4th, 2007, 08:36 AM   #807
garzland
Oragon Ini!

Likes (Received): 751

North America - USA
South America - Chile, Argentina
Europe - France
Asia - Japan, China
Africa - South Africa
Oceania - Australia
Old March 4th, 2007, 08:59 AM   #808
ADCS
Kickin' it

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by gronier View Post
The US does as well as it can given both the decentralized structure and the fact that fewer people pay per km as compared to European countries.
ADCS no está en línea  
Old March 4th, 2007, 07:09 PM   #809
Chicagoago

Quote:
Originally Posted by gronier View Post
In 2007 our interstate system is now around 50 years old. It just needs to be reconstructed as it's reaching a very old age for a road. They do TRY to maintain them to a great degree, but it's just like a house. It functions amazing for 20-30 years or so, but after that you need to work on things to keep it up to par. New roof, new furnace, new carpet, etc. We just need to shift gears and really start fixing up the rural areas of the interstates. Finances though....
Old March 4th, 2007, 09:44 PM   #810
Minato ku

But european motorways are not recent.
the first autobahn is around 80 years old (Germany)
the first autoroute is 61 years (France)

I agree the biggest part of french motorway system was built between 1950's and 1990's.

Autoroute du Soleil (A7) is for many people one of best motorway is the world but this motorway is around 40 years old.
Old March 4th, 2007, 09:50 PM   #811
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19383

The A75 is much better!
and a way better scenery, except you don't have some views of the Alps, but from the Massif Central.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora  
Old March 4th, 2007, 09:52 PM   #812
-Corey-
Je suis tout ŕ vous

Likes (Received): 5227

North America: USA
South America: Chile
Europe: Germany
Asia: Japan
Africa: South Africa
Oceania: Australia.

๏̯͡๏๏̯͡๏
-Corey- no está en línea  
Old March 5th, 2007, 12:25 PM   #813
Calvin W
Canadian eh!

Likes (Received): 366

North America: Canada (Alberta)
Oceania: Australia (Victoria)
Europe: Netherlands
Asia: Japan
South America: Argentina
Africa: South Africa
Calvin W no está en línea  
Old March 5th, 2007, 01:21 PM   #814
Alex Von Königsberg

Likes (Received): 11

Autoroute du Soleil... Das ist romantisch, or what?!
Alex Von Königsberg no está en línea  
Old March 5th, 2007, 01:30 PM   #815
gladisimo
If I could be anyone...

Likes (Received): 39

Quote:
In 2007 our interstate system is now around 50 years old. It just needs to be reconstructed as it's reaching a very old age for a road. They do TRY to maintain them to a great degree, but it's just like a house. It functions amazing for 20-30 years or so, but after that you need to work on things to keep it up to par. New roof, new furnace, new carpet, etc. We just need to shift gears and really start fixing up the rural areas of the interstates. Finances though....
Sigh, sometimes I think, if we spent even 10% of those millions of dollars each day fighting a war into improving our own country's roads (among MANY other things) we could have such a better country...

RIP Dopey - 9/2005 - 20/2/2008
gladisimo no está en línea  
Old March 5th, 2007, 03:36 PM   #816
KB

Likes (Received): 6843

Not only america but Iraq and Afghanistan would also be much better countries.

War does not bring good to any country.
KB no está en línea  
Old March 5th, 2007, 06:27 PM   #817
ADCS
Kickin' it

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbboy View Post

Not only america but Iraq and Afghanistan would also be much better countries.

War does not bring good to any country.
Aggressive wars, maybe, but I think there are several instances where defensive wars have brought some good...
ADCS no está en línea  
Old March 5th, 2007, 07:41 PM   #818
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19383

Okay, but please return ontopic: The best motorways on every continent
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora  
Old March 5th, 2007, 10:14 PM   #819
ADCS
Kickin' it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1491 View Post
Okay, but please return ontopic: The best motorways on every continent
Good point
ADCS no está en línea  
Old March 6th, 2007, 01:24 PM   #820
oliver999
starwar

Likes (Received): 1141

north american USA
europe germany
asia china, japan(chinese highway are mostly newly built)
oceania aussi
africa dont know, maybe south africa

Closed Thread