daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: So?
EU 388 79.51%
USA 100 20.49%
Voters: 488. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old March 31st, 2007, 07:21 AM   #881
Vic19

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by westender View Post
I definatley would not say Australia. Although there have been some improvments, most of the highways are single lane dangerous roads. New Zealand has some pretty hair raising roads as well.
besides Australia and NZ, Oceania is notihng more than a bunch of islands in the Pacific.

Victoria has about 1000km of motorway for a population of around 5 million. Melbourne is linked to the large regional towns by motorway
Vic19 no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old March 31st, 2007, 07:55 AM   #882
phattonez
Bleed Dodger Blue

Likes (Received): 38

I still don't understand how people can say Canada for North America. Canada's system is nothing compared to the US Interstate system.
phattonez no está en línea  
Old April 1st, 2007, 10:52 PM   #883
Gaeus
500-Internal Server Error

Likes (Received): 87

Not Voting for U.S.A?

Quote:
Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
I still don't understand how people can say Canada for North America. Canada's system is nothing compared to the US Interstate system.
Canada doesn't really have lots of interstate highways unlike U.S.A. but they are nicely built and highly maintained. However, I disagree with them voting for Canada because U.S.A Interstate Highways are out of this world. Maybe, they haven't driven to U.S yet, or they have driven in a badly built interstate like in Seattle or New York or maybe they are Canadians voting for their country
Gaeus no está en línea  
Old April 1st, 2007, 10:57 PM   #884
Gaeus
500-Internal Server Error

Likes (Received): 87

North America --- USA ---- Los Angeles
South America --- Argentina --- Buenos Aires
Europe --- Germany ---- Munich
Asia --- China --- Hong Kong
Africa --- South Africa --- Johannesburg
Oceania --- Australia --- Melbourne
Gaeus no está en línea  
Old April 4th, 2007, 10:46 AM   #885
Alex Von Königsberg

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaeus View Post
North America --- USA ---- Los Angeles
Los Angeles? You've got to be kidding
Alex Von Königsberg no está en línea  
Old April 5th, 2007, 12:14 AM   #886
pwalker

Likes (Received): 66

California/Oregon

If the question is who has the most developed freeway system in North America, yes Los Angeles is your winner. Some are in better shape than others, but Caltrans does a remarkable job keeping these roads in decent condition with the millions and millions of drivers who use them everyday.

BTW, over the past weekend I drove an absolutely incredible stretch of U.S. Interstate 84 from Pendleton, Oregon eastbound up over a steep mountain climb. Probably the best stretch of Interstate in the western US, three lanes in each direction, beautifully maintained with wide easy to navigate curves, and a rise of atleast 3,000 feet!
pwalker no está en línea  
Old April 5th, 2007, 12:51 AM   #887
Nephasto
Enlightened user

Likes (Received): 71

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker View Post
BTW, over the past weekend I drove an absolutely incredible stretch of U.S. Interstate 84 from Pendleton, Oregon eastbound up over a steep mountain climb. Probably the best stretch of Interstate in the western US, three lanes in each direction, beautifully maintained with wide easy to navigate curves, and a rise of atleast 3,000 feet!
3 lanes in each direction?! I found it very hard to believe that a freeway in such a remote place would have 3 lanes per direction... And I did a search on Google Earth and the images clearly show "only" 2 lanes in each direction.

Regardless of haveing 3 or 2 lanes in each direction, I have no doubt it's an excelent freeway. Also, I personally much prefer to ride in a 2 lane rural freeway than in a freeway with 3 lanes, and more traffic.

PS: Hum... now that I'm checking it on Google Earth I wonder if there was some irony in your post... Because I'm seeing some of the tightest curves I've ever seen on an interstate just about 15 km's east of Pendleton...
Old April 5th, 2007, 01:07 AM   #888
pwalker

No irony!

You never know how old those google shots are. During the climb there are three lanes in each direction mainly to allow for slow trucks. You can't really tell from google, but the curves are wide and graceful and easily navigated at 65-70 mph. The road does reduce down to two lanes each direction at the top of the elevation. You'd have to actually drive it to see this beautiful stretch of freeway.
pwalker no está en línea  
Old April 5th, 2007, 01:46 AM   #889
Nephasto
Enlightened user

I've just noticed that it has 3 lanes in each direction going upphilll on that steep section with the tight curves.
I've made some research on the net and found out that is known as the Cabagge Hill, and it does indeed has the tightest curves on the interstate system. Still, tight for an interstate, not for just a regular road.
I'm sure you can do those at 65-70 mph in good weather, but those must be limited to at least 80 km/h(50mph), considering the radius(around 250 m). I'm actually curious to know what the legal limit is for cars on those curves.
Still, no big deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker
You'd have to actually drive it to see this beautiful stretch of freeway.
Believe me, I'd love to drive on it, and I have no doubt it's an extremely beautifull stretch!!
Old April 5th, 2007, 02:20 AM   #890
pwalker

Speed is 65mph during good weather, but the trucks usually are hard pressed to do better than 30 depending on their load.

I also did a little research...the 3rd lane was added in 1999 to allow for better truck conditions. What is amazing about this stretch is the terrain that it is built over, the elevation change and views are terrific! (Although I can't find any real good photos on the web )
pwalker no está en línea  
Old April 5th, 2007, 02:24 AM   #891
M3_SoutheastMelb
BANNED

(best roads overall in country, best metropolitan road network on continent)

North America --- USA ---- Dallas
Europe --- Germany ---- Madrid
Asia --- Malaysia --- Hong Kong
M3_SoutheastMelb no está en línea  
Old April 5th, 2007, 03:42 AM   #892
pwalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaeus View Post
Maybe, they haven't driven to U.S yet, or they have driven in a badly built interstate like in Seattle or New York or maybe they are Canadians voting for their country
True, about Seattle interstates. The I-5 through Seattle is a joke! You never know if your exit will be left or right. And one major connection is Highway 520 (Lake Washington north bridge) to I-5 south. Locally, it is known as "The Mercer Weave", where you come off Highway 520 on the left side of I-5 and have a half mile to right exit to Seattle Center (Space Needle, etc.). It involves crossing atleast six lanes, and it's a zoo! There has been talk of rebuilding I-5 through Seattle, but other priorities are more important, the Alaskan Way Viaduct (Seattle's 2nd N-S route, damaged by an earthquark in 2001), and replacing that same Highway 520 (who's useful lifespan is up). However, the suburban eastside I-405 is much better! (Not the traffic, but the design!)
pwalker no está en línea  
Old April 7th, 2007, 05:48 AM   #893
aussiescraperman

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_SoutheastMelb View Post
(best roads overall in country, best metropolitan road network on continent)

North America --- USA ---- Dallas
Europe --- Germany ---- Madrid
Asia --- Malaysia --- Hong Kong
i agree with this list.....
Old April 7th, 2007, 06:20 AM   #894
GrigorisSokratis

Likes (Received): 11

Europe - Germany
North America - United States
South America - Chile
Asia - Japan
Oceania - Australia
Africa - South Africa

btw you cannot compare neither Canada nor Mexico with America in the case of North America, the country with the longest and most modern network on earth.

In the case of South America as I know both Argentina and Chile among other countries in the continent, let me tell you that highways in Argentina are crap (except in Buenos Aires), but as soon as you get outside the city they are all in terribly poor conditions and are mostly one-way per direction roads. While in Chile the network is quite long (3,000 kms) and modern, with high quality highways traversing the whole country and even automatic toll systems.
GrigorisSokratis no está en línea  
Old April 7th, 2007, 10:49 PM   #895
Nephasto
Enlightened user

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrigorisSokratis View Post
btw you cannot compare neither Canada nor Mexico with America in the case of North America, the country with the longest and most modern network on earth.

It may be the longest, but it certainly isn't the most modern.
Old April 7th, 2007, 11:32 PM   #896
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19369

i've checked Chinese expressways a lot lately on google earth. I think it is the most modern network of such size. But that is logical, since most of the network is brand new, and outside cities, the expressways are more quiet than an average county road in the US.

I would say Croatia is under the most modern motorway countries. Spain is doing a good job, but some stretches are quite old.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora  
Old April 8th, 2007, 01:38 PM   #897
Matthijs
Accepteer Geen Middelmaat

Likes (Received): 13

When not considering the actual volume of traffic, one might argue that the Dutch freeway network is one of the best of Europe. I mean, it has a very high 'freeway' density, of well-built and well-maintained freeways. Compared to France for example, the density of freeways is much higher, and there are much more direct connections. Maintenance is in most cases on a very high level.

Where it goes wrong is that the volume is traffic is much higher than the capacity of most of the system. Morning rush hour takes up about the whole morning, and is quite often followed about immediately by the evening rush hour...
Matthijs no está en línea  
Old April 8th, 2007, 02:54 PM   #898
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19369

Yeah, i think the Netherlands has the busiest nationwide roadnetwork. At rushhours, all motorways near any midsize or larger cities are jammed.

I mean, the total length of an average rushhour is twice Germany's average length, but than country is ten times bigger, and has more than 5 times more inhabitants.

But the quality of roads in the Netherlands are actually very good indeed, proper signage, road assistance, loads of variable message signs and road control by cctv camera's.

But driving longer distances in the Randstad region is almost impossible, since the roads are 9 - 10 hours of a day jammed. That's a pity.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora  
Old April 8th, 2007, 06:26 PM   #899
aguere7
Bush Griffin.

Europe: Germany ,Italy, Portugal,Spain and Netherlands

North America: USA and Canada

South America: Chile

Africa: Canary Island: Tenerife and Gran Canaria and South Africa.

Oceania: Australia and New Zealand
aguere7 no está en línea  
Old May 13th, 2007, 05:55 PM   #900
radi6404

Likes (Received): 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1491 View Post
Personally, i don't think Germany is that good. They have a great network, but some motorways are just old concrete, or worse (eastern Germany). Some Autobahnen near borders are bad too.
German motorways are awful, they are very very old and the asphalt is not good anymore, the network is very good though but the motorways are never the best ones. the crashbarriers are brown and rosty everywhere.
radi6404 no está en línea  

Closed Thread