daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: So?
EU 388 79.51%
USA 100 20.49%
Voters: 488. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old December 2nd, 2007, 03:46 AM   #901
Onur
BANNED

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAESARS-PALACe View Post
In Rome there is this big elevated highway that runs through a part of the city , it will be demolished within a few months and replaced with a beautiful urban tunnel
Currently, How is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aatbloke View Post
Hey, you sound like the expert...tell me of your experiences driving in various countries where roundabouts are prevalent. Personally I find traffic lights at the end of each block far slower and cause far greater congestion.
In Antalya, I know 3 roundabouts which has big middle points. With a basic Traffic lights programming you can easily turn left without any red light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNU View Post
Thats not correct. first parts of the Reichsautobahn or Avus was being constructed from 1913 onwards.
after the first world war construction was being taken up again and the first part was beieng opened to the public in 1921.
Were roads really white? :o

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallenGuard View Post
Anyone see the Episode on Discovery's "Extreme Engineering" about Germanys Highways, the Autobahn?
What was about that?
Onur no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old August 14th, 2008, 10:29 AM   #902
micrip

Likes (Received): 1066

Not to mention this drive includes the widest vehicular tunnel in the world...the 8-lane wide Fort McHenry Tunnel. The skyramps heading into downtown Baltimore (I-395) are spectacular, and a bit scary for some.
micrip no está en línea  
Old August 14th, 2008, 10:38 AM   #903
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

IMO the American road with the best scenery is the Richardson Hwy from Delta Junction to Valdez, Alaska. The whole 260 miles offer you a great scenery, even when it is cloudy or rainy. It is a very quiet road (like almost every Alaskan road) and though the speed limit is 55, you can easily drive 65-70 (which everyone does). When sunny, the Parks Hwy must be beautiful, with stunning views of Mt. McKinley. Unfortunately it was very rainy when I was there (but I did see Mt. McKinley the next day)

Last edited by Timon91; August 14th, 2008 at 10:47 AM.
Timon91 no está en línea  
Old August 14th, 2008, 10:44 AM   #904
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

I would love to take a drive on one of those empty country roads in Oklahoma or Kansas. Escape the always-busy Netherlands where quiet roads are hard to find.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea  
Old August 14th, 2008, 10:49 AM   #905
Evan
Amurika!

Likes (Received): 188

Going to the Sun Road at Glacier Park in Montana is a beautiful drive. Once I unpuckered my anus and got over the initial height fear, it was a thrill!
Evan no está en línea  
Old August 14th, 2008, 10:55 AM   #906
Timon91
Error

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan View Post
Going to the Sun Road at Glacier Park in Montana is a beautiful drive. Once I unpuckered my anus and got over the initial height fear, it was a thrill!
You're absolutely right. I remember driving there five years ago. What a beautiful views.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriszwolle View Post
I would love to take a drive on one of those empty country roads in Oklahoma or Kansas. Escape the always-busy Netherlands where quiet roads are hard to find.
Take a drive on the Dalton to Deadhorse. North of Coldfoot you will probably meet 15 trucks per day, and two or three RV's
I took the Dalton on a tour to the Arctic Circle. Unfortunately I didn't have the time to go all the way to Deadhorse. The only problem is the road. North of Coldfoot it is what we dutch would call 'een wasbord', with lots of small holes in it.
Old August 14th, 2008, 10:57 AM   #907
ChrisZwolle
Road user

You mean a bumpy road filled with potholes?
Old August 14th, 2008, 11:31 AM   #908
Timon91
Error

Yes. However, south of the Arctic Circle the Dalton isn't bad at all. It is just a smooth gravel road, with some paved stretches. However, to get on the Dalton, you have to drive over the Elliott highway, which is horrible. It is the worst asphalt road I've ever driven. In the summer water gets under the asphalt, but because of the permafrost in stays there. So when it freezes in winter, the water becomes ice, expands and pushes the asphalt upwards. The same counts for all the paved parts of the Dalton.
Old August 14th, 2008, 05:26 PM   #909
gannman1975

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriszwolle View Post
Just be sure to keep an eye on the weather if doing so in the spring or early summer. Fierce thunderstorms and tornadoes can hit with little warning out there. OK and KS are right smack in what is known here as Tornado Alley.
gannman1975 no está en línea  
Old August 14th, 2008, 05:34 PM   #910
Timon91
Error

And ash of course. From the plane I saw the big ash cloud from the Alieutian Islands over Nebraska and Kansas.
Old August 14th, 2008, 05:41 PM   #911
TheCat
IsraCanadian :)

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timon Kruijk View Post
North of Coldfoot it is what we dutch would call 'een wasbord', with lots of small holes in it.
Haha in Russian this term is also used to describe a bumpy road
Old August 14th, 2008, 05:43 PM   #912
Timon91
Error

In fact Alaska used to be Russian
Old August 14th, 2008, 11:47 PM   #913
Paddington

Likes (Received): 1261

The auto industry does a lot of their testing in the hills of South East Ohio, as do the car magazines. There's lots of nice, well maintained, twisty 2 lane roads winding through forested hills.
Paddington no está en línea  
Old August 15th, 2008, 01:26 AM   #914
go_leafs_go02

Likes (Received): 2

I-15 Through Arizona.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_15_in_Arizona
go_leafs_go02 no está en línea  
Old August 16th, 2008, 06:36 AM   #915
WeimieLvr
Love me, love my dog...

Likes (Received): 420

My favorites are Highway 1 in California and the 500 mile Blue Ridge Parkway, also known as "America's Favorite Drive". It is the narrowest National Park in the world and is the most visited in the U.S. National Park system.

1. One of over 100 stone arch bridges along the parkway 2. The Linn Cove Viaduct
image hosted on flickr
image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/2452595217/ http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/2123572982/

image hosted on flickr
image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2592835...7603231251688/ http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/2081785313/

image hosted on flickr
image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/2751607175/ http://www.flickr.com/photos/alltheparks/394677268/
WeimieLvr no está en línea  
Old April 17th, 2009, 02:06 PM   #916
SeanT
DK/H

Likes (Received): 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny was here View Post
I'm sorry for you, but the quality of the motorway network don't give always an impression of the wealthness of the country.
Belgium and the United States seems less developed than The Netherlands for instance, but both countries have a bigger GDP/capita than the Netherlands....
Then again I´m sure The Netherlands as just as rich as B if not more and US is welldeveloped but with big % of poverty too.
SeanT no está en línea  
Old April 18th, 2009, 02:11 AM   #917
rosn19
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanT View Post
Then again I´m sure The Netherlands as just as rich as B if not more and US is welldeveloped but with big % of poverty too.
about how much is the proportion of poverty in the US? the times ive visited, ive come to conculsion that it depends on what state you're in. for example texas does have a-lot of poverty but good infrastructure, but as soon as you go into louisiana, it is horrible, even their main highways are full of potholes and you can see many people beging in cities like new orleans and baton rouge, even little kids with signs at stop lights that say "my daddy is jobless, please help us out with what ever you are willing to give". on the other hand, states like washington state or oregon are so clean and have such nice highways, i think that is because the US is a very decentralized country.
rosn19 no está en línea  
Old April 19th, 2009, 05:10 AM   #918
hoosier

Likes (Received): 60

The U.S. has lower taxes than Europe, especially the gas tax.

Also, the U.S. government spends ENORMOUS amounts of money on the military instead of spending it on more important areas like infrastructure, healthcare, and education.

Most important, European nations didn't have the strain of radical conservatism that hampered government investment in the public welfare for 30 years. From 1980-2008, the U.S. was run by conservative governments that favored privatization and disinvestment in the general welfare, as a result, America's healthcare, education, and transportation systems declined immensely. But hey, the rich pay much lower taxes, that's what's important, right?
Old April 19th, 2009, 12:02 PM   #919
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Also, the U.S. government spends ENORMOUS amounts of money on the military instead of spending it on more important areas like infrastructure, healthcare, and education.
About 4% of the GDP, which is not a lot at all for the world's sole superpower. In absolute terms, it's still a huge budget, but not compared to the economy. The US ranks 27th in military spending in the world as a percentage of the GDP.
Old April 19th, 2009, 02:50 PM   #920
SeanT
DK/H

Likes (Received): 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
About 4% of the GDP, which is not a lot at all for the world's sole superpower. In absolute terms, it's still a huge budget, but not compared to the economy. The US ranks 27th in military spending in the world as a percentage of the GDP.
...and let me guess nr.1 -North Corea, maybe???
SeanT no está en línea  

Closed Thread