daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: So?
EU 388 79.51%
USA 100 20.49%
Voters: 488. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old July 16th, 2010, 12:16 AM   #1061
Spikespiegel
Used Registrant

Likes (Received): 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanT View Post
you say concret-motorways with bump,bump,bump, yes it´s true but the new constructions which have been taking place in several european countries are concret-motorways with excellent quality.
It was an old German motorway I was referring to
Spikespiegel no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old July 16th, 2010, 12:34 AM   #1062
SeanT
DK/H

Likes (Received): 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikespiegel View Post
It was an old German motorway I was referring to
I know
SeanT no está en línea  
Old January 16th, 2011, 06:06 PM   #1063
Wimpie

Likes (Received): 1

Again on Belgium, there used to be an intensive cooperation between the US and B. An example of this is the remnants of the "Belgian American Chamber of Commerce, Industry and Culture."
Up to the late 70's engineers used to cross the Atlanctic frequently to study the infrastructure in both nations. Americans came to Belgium for the lighting, Belgians went to America for the roadinfrastructure itself (interchanges, pavement,...)
Somewhere in recent years, that cooperation somehow faded away (I think when America decided to go on a more conservative track)
Still, many ellements remain to be found in the Belgian infrastructural landscape (especially when it comes to the quality of the pavement).
Freeways with more than 2 lanes on every side, are still being paved with concrete up to today or atleast have a concrete foundation.

http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/5282/pict2260ed4.jpg

Wimpie no está en línea  
Old January 16th, 2011, 06:32 PM   #1064
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 897

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Add the U.K. (Where I just learned that metric is actually illegal on highway signs. Imperial-only. You'll occasionally see some miles-and-metric signs here.) Why don't you start working on them: they're closer to you, and do lots of things that annoy continentals.

"Problems understanding" not "...to understand." And I am discussing.
They are illegal on distance signs, but height and with are weight signs have to be in metric (although some older ones aren't), i.e

And, also, I have seen other signs in metric, e,g 100m underneath a give way sign. Just because they are illegal doesn't mean they don't exist. Anyway, other than road signs, pretty much everything is in metric.

But anyway I don't think that either side has better roads in particular.
DanielFigFoz no está en línea  
Old January 17th, 2011, 10:33 AM   #1065
pricemazda
Titter ye not.

Likes (Received): 1384

I just wish we'd get the transition over with. We basically use metric anyway.
Old January 17th, 2011, 10:43 AM   #1066
greenice

Likes (Received): 4

usa 4 me....
greenice no está en línea  
Old January 17th, 2011, 11:04 AM   #1067
brewerfan386

Likes (Received): 158

For the love of god not again!
Old January 17th, 2011, 11:08 AM   #1068
Dallas boi

Likes (Received): 2

The USA has so many different highways

We have the Interstate Highway, the US Route, and the State Highways (Every state has their own highways)

Here's the Interstate Highway sign (every Interstate highway has a different number)

U.S. Route Sign (every US Route has a different number)

This is an Example of a State Highway sign (every state highway sign has a different number, sign, and name.)

Dallas boi no está en línea  
Old January 17th, 2011, 11:10 AM   #1069
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19411

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas boi View Post
(every Interstate highway has a different number)
That is not entirely true. 3-digit Interstate numbers can occur multiple times, but not in the same state. There are numerous I-295's for instance.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora  
Old January 17th, 2011, 11:12 AM   #1070
Dallas boi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
That is not entirely true. 3-digit Interstate numbers can occur multiple times, but not in the same state. There are numerous I-295's for instance.
Yeah, I know what you mean.
Old January 17th, 2011, 11:23 AM   #1071
Dallas boi

The USA has some amazing freeways.

Last edited by Dallas boi; January 18th, 2011 at 08:30 AM.
Old January 17th, 2011, 03:59 PM   #1072
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Huh? Had no idea. Why on earth is that allowed?
Verso no está en línea  
Old January 17th, 2011, 04:14 PM   #1073
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The Interstate numbering doesn't allow just any number for a spur. For example, an auxiliary route of I-95 should be numbered I-195, I-295, I-395, I-495, I-995 etc. Even numbers are generally beltways while odd numbers are generally spurs.

Considering the length of some Interstate Highways, and the large number of metropolitan areas with auxiliary routes they serve en route, this would mean all available auxiliary route numbers of I-95 would be used up before you're even into the Mid-Atlantic states. Thus, multiple I-295's exist. However, they cannot exist within the same state, though auxiliary routes are allowed to cross state lines (for example I-275 around Cincinnati runs through Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana).
Old January 17th, 2011, 04:14 PM   #1074
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Likes (Received): 6164

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
Huh? Had no idea. Why on earth is that allowed?
Why not, it's a pretty big place. What are the chances of you confusing the I295 in Michigan with the I295 in Texas. You'd have to be fairly retarded to pull that off. Much in the same way that nobody driving on the A2 in Belgium thinks to himself "A2? Oh I must be driving on the A2 in Italy." Frankly, if a person is that dumb, they shouldn't have a license in the first place.
Slagathor no está en línea  
Old January 17th, 2011, 04:25 PM   #1075
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2118

You forgot to say that Belgium and Italy are two different countries with different languages. Michigan and Texas are not.
g.spinoza está en línea ahora  
Old January 17th, 2011, 04:30 PM   #1076
Verso
Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slagathor View Post
Why not, it's a pretty big place. What are the chances of you confusing the I295 in Michigan with the I295 in Texas. You'd have to be fairly retarded to pull that off. Much in the same way that nobody driving on the A2 in Belgium thinks to himself "A2? Oh I must be driving on the A2 in Italy." Frankly, if a person is that dumb, they shouldn't have a license in the first place.
No offence, but your comment is pretty off. The US is a country, the EU isn't.

I don't know why these short Interstates even exist. They run through just one state, hence they aren't Interstates.
Verso no está en línea  
Old January 17th, 2011, 04:30 PM   #1077
snowman159

Likes (Received): 3

There's an A2 in Austria, Germany, and Switzerland. Each year there are hundreds of confused tourists who end up in Klagenfurt instead of Berlin.
snowman159 no está en línea  
Old January 17th, 2011, 04:37 PM   #1078
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
I don't know why these short Interstates even exist. They run through just one state, hence they aren't Interstates.
They are funded by federal money. For example Phoenix didn't get any federal money for their secondary loop freeways, hence they have State Route numbers.

There are even some mainline Interstates that are intrastate (i.e. do not cross any state lines), for example I-4 in Florida, I-12 in Louisiana, I-16 in Georgia, I-17 in Arizona, I-19 in Arizona, I-27 in Texas, I-37 in Texas, I-45 in Texas, I-66 in Virginia, I-87 in New York, I-88 in Illinois, I-96 in Michigan and I-99 in Pennsylvania.
Old January 17th, 2011, 04:58 PM   #1079
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Likes (Received): 6164

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
You forgot to say that Belgium and Italy are two different countries with different languages. Michigan and Texas are not.
What a ridiculous thing to say when we're talking about numbers. Is "A2" any different in Italian than it is in Dutch or French? No.

Quote:
No offence, but your comment is pretty off. The US is a country, the EU isn't.
So what? What does that have to do with it? The problems are the same: namely that you'd run out of numbers because the places in question (US, EU) are too big for a single scheme.
Slagathor no está en línea  
Old January 17th, 2011, 05:09 PM   #1080
Verso
Islander

If you're really comparing the US to the EU, then there should be an I-1 (which doesn't even exist) in every US state that has at least one Interstate. But that isn't the case, otherwise Interstates wouldn't be called "Interstates". There's just one I-4, I-5, I-8, I-10 etc. in the whole US, so it's unexpected to see several I-295s.
Verso no está en línea  

Closed Thread