daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: So?
EU 388 79.51%
USA 100 20.49%
Voters: 488. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old January 17th, 2011, 05:10 PM   #1081
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slagathor View Post
What a ridiculous thing to say when we're talking about numbers. Is "A2" any different in Italian than it is in Dutch or French? No.
Of course not. Quite the opposite. You cannot make mistakes in Europe, but you can in the US. What if someone has to take the I-something in North Dakota and end up taking the I-something in South Dakota?

Quote:
So what? What does that have to do with it? The problems are the same: namely that you'd run out of numbers because the places in question (US, EU) are too big for a single scheme.
No, it just means that americans are too lazy or dumb to devise a different scheme (for instance, spurs not only with 3-digit numbers but also with 4-digit numbers. Or with letters -- I-A95 and I-B95 being spurs of the I-95).

By the way, dude: cool off.
g.spinoza no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old January 17th, 2011, 05:16 PM   #1082
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Likes (Received): 6162

I'm not having a discussion with someone who'll portray an entire people as lazy or dumb. Not worth my time.
Slagathor no está en línea  
Old January 17th, 2011, 05:20 PM   #1083
snowman159

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
Of course not. Quite the opposite. You cannot make mistakes in Europe, but you can in the US. What if someone has to take the I-something in North Dakota and end up taking the I-something in South Dakota?
Or even worse, imagine the poor guy from Long Island caught in an infinite loop on the Capital Beltway, looking for his exit, going round and round....
snowman159 no está en línea  
Old January 17th, 2011, 05:28 PM   #1084
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slagathor View Post
I'm not having a discussion with someone who'll portray an entire people as lazy or dumb. Not worth my time.
You were the first to talk about "retards" and "dumb" people, and making derogatory comments. An entire people may not be dumb... at least one person is.
Old January 17th, 2011, 05:51 PM   #1085
snowman159

Quote:
That someone, is he or she a German driver out of this video?

Quote:
No, it just means that americans are too lazy or dumb to devise a different scheme (for instance, spurs not only with 3-digit numbers but also with 4-digit numbers. Or with letters -- I-A95 and I-B95 being spurs of the I-95).
It probably means Americans are smart enough to figure out what state or metro area they're in. Not sure about European tourists driving in America, though.

Anyway, you can probably tell I'm pretty bored today, so don't take what I wrote before too serious. 3-digit Interstates are not *that* frequent (edit: I meant 3-digit interstates sharing the same number in close proximity) and unless you're so stoned you shouldn't be driving in the first place, there's really no way it could cause any confusion. People are not that dumb - on either side of the big pond.

Last edited by snowman159; January 17th, 2011 at 05:58 PM.
Old January 17th, 2011, 06:09 PM   #1086
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman159 View Post
It probably means Americans are smart enough to figure out what state or metro area they're in. Not sure about European tourists driving in America, though.
I hope so... Obviously I wasn't serious about americans, I was only pissed by the scornful comments of someone...

Quote:
Anyway, you can probably tell I'm pretty bored today, so don't take what I wrote before too serious. 3-digit Interstates are not *that* frequent (edit: I meant 3-digit interstates sharing the same number in close proximity) and unless you're so stoned you shouldn't be driving in the first place, there's really no way it could cause any confusion. People are not that dumb - on either side of the big pond.
Understood, all I meant is that a nation-wide project like the Interstate should be more rigorous and uniform in giving names to its roads.
Before anyone asks, I'm Italian and in Italy national road names (not autostrade) are a mess bigger than you can imagine...
Old January 17th, 2011, 06:25 PM   #1087
Surel

Likes (Received): 2155

I thought that for Europe (not only EU) should in the future work the system with E numbers. However, not covering all the motorways and expresways.

It is certainly not perfect to have same numbers and names for different roads in different parts of the same country. Yet, I see as a bigger mess changing the numbering overnight because of this, not forgetting, that it causes no problems so far.

Sure EU is not country, but as for me it should be. I am wholeheartedly en EU federalist and would support this. But that is not the core. I mean generally speaking EU is comparable with US in many ways and I dare to say that transport policy is one of the areas where the similarities are huge. So to say, I have never in my entire life thought it could cause problems that different countries in EU have the same names and numbers for their motorways. On the other side I experienced a situation when I made a mistake and used number from german network on a motorway from another country or vice versa.

So yes. The system should be a such, that it would assign unique number to every motorway in given "network" system. Whether this is feasible to achieve when the system is already built and whether the benefits of such a change uitweights the costs is another question.
Surel no está en línea  
Old January 17th, 2011, 06:40 PM   #1088
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

It would be good if fuels had the same name all over Europe

Simply;

E95
E98
Diesel
Autogas

So to get rid of all the "sans plomb", "senza piombo", "gazole", "bleifrei", "Blyfri", "gasol", "motorgas", "gasolio", "sem chumbo", "gasóleo", "bezolowiowa", "Olej napedowy" etc. mess.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea  
Old January 17th, 2011, 06:54 PM   #1089
snowman159

Quote:
Understood, all I meant is that a nation-wide project like the Interstate should be more rigorous and uniform in giving names to its roads.
I can see your argument, but I can't help thinking it's primarily for the sake of pedantry than any real world benefits. Knowing that 3-digit interstates are local to a single metro area, sharing numbers is an effective way to keep things simple.
Old January 17th, 2011, 07:00 PM   #1090
ChrisZwolle
Road user

In countries like Germany and France there are many roads with the same numbers.
Old January 17th, 2011, 07:03 PM   #1091
snowman159

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surel View Post
I have never in my entire life thought it could cause problems that different countries in EU have the same names and numbers for their motorways. On the other side I experienced a situation when I made a mistake and used number from german network on a motorway from another country or vice versa.
Haha. I'd say that's not a design flaw, but a momentary lapse in concentration. Happens to the best of us.
Old January 17th, 2011, 07:20 PM   #1092
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
In countries like Germany and France there are many roads with the same numbers.
Really? That's retarded.
Verso no está en línea  
Old January 17th, 2011, 07:44 PM   #1093
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

I think he's referring to unfinished autobahns with missing sections...
Old January 17th, 2011, 07:51 PM   #1094
ChrisZwolle
Road user

No, Communal, Departemental Routes in France and Landesstrassen and Kreisstrassen in Germany. The latter aren't signposted though.
Old January 17th, 2011, 08:33 PM   #1095
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Do you mean there're e.g. two B100s, or the prefix is different? We also have A2 and H2, but that's not the same.
Verso no está en línea  
Old January 17th, 2011, 08:38 PM   #1096
Wimpie

Likes (Received): 1

I'm surprised people didn't post more videos here, roads are intented to move on, hence you should judge them while moving and not only by looking at one static picture.

Last edited by Wimpie; January 17th, 2011 at 08:46 PM.
Wimpie no está en línea  
Old January 17th, 2011, 08:48 PM   #1097
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
Do you mean there're e.g. two B100s, or the prefix is different? We also have A2 and H2, but that's not the same.
No, in France and Germany road numbers are reused in other districts. For example K1 can be found in just about any district in Germany.
Old January 17th, 2011, 08:50 PM   #1098
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 767

Not only three digit interstate numbers are repeated: there are two of each I-76, 84, 86, 88!

Beside that there is one I-35, two I-35E, and two I-35W.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Or in Italy: provincial roads start from SP 1 in each province.

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea  
Old January 17th, 2011, 09:03 PM   #1099
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1932

Yeah.

And I have decided what are the best roads of the world: The continental Europe ones. The worst ones are the UK ones, because they drive on the left and use miles (But I have heard they have kmposts, not mileposts, on the motorways). And falling between, the USA (Driving on the right side but using miles, bad), Ireland and Japan (Using kilometers but driving on the left, bad).
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea  
Old January 17th, 2011, 09:09 PM   #1100
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 767

British should drive on the right side of the road

Seriously, there is no a "better" side of driving, it's just question of habit. But it's true than swapping side is annoying, the UK should have done it 40 years ago with Sweden. Now it's too late.

About miles...thinkmetric, as one user here says in his signature

================

Back to numbering: it's maybe annoying changing number at the border, but it's even more stupid when this happens in the same country: A14-S16-A12 and S6-S36-S37 in Austria, A1-S6 in Poland, ...

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea  

Closed Thread