daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: So?
EU 388 79.51%
USA 100 20.49%
Voters: 488. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old January 17th, 2011, 09:27 PM   #1101
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2098

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coccodrillo View Post
Or in Italy: provincial roads start from SP 1 in each province.
That's different. Interstates are nationwide, Italian provincial roads are operated by each single province. I don't doubt there are many local roads with the same name in different US state, but they are supposed to be. Interstates are not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coccodrillo View Post
Back to numbering: it's maybe annoying changing number at the border, but it's even more stupid when this happens in the same country: A14-S16-A12 and S6-S36-S37 in Austria, A1-S6 in Poland, ...
A18-RA15-NSA339-A18 in Italy...
g.spinoza no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old January 17th, 2011, 10:28 PM   #1102
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 766

Also A4-RA13-NSA314-SS202...

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea  
Old January 17th, 2011, 10:49 PM   #1103
Grisent

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
It would be good if fuels had the same name all over Europe

Simply;
E95
E98
Diesel
Autogas

So to get rid of all the "sans plomb", "senza piombo", "gazole", "bleifrei", "Blyfri", "gasol", "motorgas", "gasolio", "sem chumbo", "gasóleo", "bezolowiowa", "Olej napedowy" etc. mess.

And "Benzin", "Regular", "Super" and "Super plus", too, whatever they are.
Old January 17th, 2011, 11:01 PM   #1104
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Even though I voted for EU some US states such as Georgia, Texas, Florida, and Ohio have decent roadway quality (ie few potholes, etc). However the roadway quality in some states such as Louisiana, Alabama, etc have poorer road quality.
diablo234 no está en línea  
Old January 17th, 2011, 11:35 PM   #1105
KingNick
Make Wu'bar Great Again

Likes (Received): 8709

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grisent View Post

And "Benzin", "Regular", "Super" and "Super plus", too, whatever they are.
Wow, seems like taking a simple look at the octane rating is too much to ask.
KingNick no está en línea  
Old January 17th, 2011, 11:53 PM   #1106
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21227

Are diesel pumps always black anyway all over EU at least?
Old January 17th, 2011, 11:56 PM   #1107
niterider
niterider

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGL View Post
Yeah.

And I have decided what are the best roads of the world: The continental Europe ones. The worst ones are the UK ones, because they drive on the left and use miles (But I have heard they have kmposts, not mileposts, on the motorways). And falling between, the USA (Driving on the right side but using miles, bad), Ireland and Japan (Using kilometers but driving on the left, bad).
And the Australians? New Zealanders? Irish? Japanese? Indonesians? Indians, Pakistanis? Sinaporeans? South Africans? or others in Africa and South America.... The UK is not the only left-driving country in the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGL View Post
(But I have heard they have kmposts, not mileposts, on the motorways).
That wouldn't make any sense to do.... still in miles territory, with metrificiation creeping into other aspects of life

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
Even though I voted for EU some US states such as Georgia, Texas, Florida, and Ohio have decent roadway quality (ie few potholes, etc). However the roadway quality in some states such as Louisiana, Alabama, etc have poorer road quality.
But European motorways tend to cost a lot more to use. Higher fuel taxes, other taxes related to owning a vehicle, and often much higher tolls (try driving the length of France and compare that with a trip the Northeast States and you'll see what I mean!) While road conditions US States vary, its nothing like the variation seen in Europe in terms of design standards, markings, signage etc.
niterider no está en línea  
Old January 17th, 2011, 11:58 PM   #1108
KingNick
Make Wu'bar Great Again

Likes (Received): 8709

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Are diesel pumps always black anyway all over EU at least?
Since I haven't been to all 27 states so far, no idea.
KingNick no está en línea  
Old January 18th, 2011, 12:01 AM   #1109
Substructure

Likes (Received): 10238

It's usually yellow in France, I actually thought it was the standard color for every state in the EU ! E95 (named SP95 here) is always green though, with no exception.

I agree we should make this standard in every state. I mean, what's the big deal calling SP95 E95 ? We already do that with E10.

Substructure no está en línea  
Old January 18th, 2011, 01:01 AM   #1110
Gareth
Keltlandia

Likes (Received): 66

Just thought I'd at that Northern Ireland has a separate numbering system to the rest of the UK. The duplicate numbers don't cause a lot of problems.
Gareth no está en línea  
Old January 18th, 2011, 01:28 AM   #1111
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

That's different again, because Northern Ireland is apparently sth special within the UK (United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland) and it's also physically separated from GB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
That's different. Interstates are nationwide, Italian provincial roads are operated by each single province. I don't doubt there are many local roads with the same name in different US state, but they are supposed to be. Interstates are not.
Exactly. For example, there's just one A1 in both Germany and France.

Last edited by Verso; January 18th, 2011 at 03:59 PM.
Verso no está en línea  
Old January 18th, 2011, 08:32 AM   #1112
Dallas boi

Likes (Received): 2

Dallas Freeway tour

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGhgL04G-6c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fIN_b2CbYA
Dallas boi no está en línea  
Old January 19th, 2011, 12:21 AM   #1113
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxx☢Power View Post
I've never seen yellow for diesel in France, just black..
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora  
Old January 19th, 2011, 01:10 AM   #1114
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 890

Indeed, the forumer from Huesca is right when he says that mileposts here are in metric.

In the UK, the only thing not in metric are distance signs and speed limits, even in general conversation, metric is slowly taking over, in fact, being part of a younger generation, I have no idea whatsoever how long an inch is, or how big a pint is, but I do understand miles.

What I don't get is why some people want to change the side of the road in the UK, or anywhere else, I think that would just be a huge waste of money, and be pointless. I would like full metrication though.
DanielFigFoz no está en línea  
Old January 19th, 2011, 01:28 AM   #1115
Slartibartfas

Likes (Received): 5952

It would be on an island like it is the case with the UK, the situation is different where you have borders between countries driving on different sides. Thats not really the case in Europe if I remember correctly but in quite a few places around the world. I guess there it would pay off to change sides.

Why it is forbidden by law to use metrics for distances is something probably only Britons can understand and maybe not even they can.
Old January 19th, 2011, 01:58 AM   #1116
brewerfan386

Likes (Received): 158

On the last point, let's not go there.
Old January 19th, 2011, 06:23 AM   #1117
Comfortably Numb
Goddess of Winter

Likes (Received): 309

I voted EU (and proud).

It's true that US highways can boast a million lanes, but EU highways in general are far 1) safer, 2) better signposted, 3) better lit and 4) better surfaced. Even in my home country of the UK, the highways (motorways) are generally of better quality. None of the highways or expressways here in South Florida would even be able to achieve motorway classification. There are too many exits, merge lanes are not long enough and safety is a complete and utter joke.

The US has some great roads, but it cannot hold a candle to the highways of countries such as Germany, France or the Netherlands. If the UK had more motorways, I'd say the UK too, only the UK just doesn't have enough.
Comfortably Numb no está en línea  
Old January 19th, 2011, 06:45 AM   #1118
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10384

This comparison is invalid...although the US is a huge country, it is still one single country being compared against 27 nations that all have different standards, some better than others. Compare it to North America or something (although yeah EU would win if that was the case).
Xusein no está en línea  
Old January 19th, 2011, 11:25 AM   #1119
FabriFlorence

Likes (Received): 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comfortably Numb View Post
I voted EU (and proud).

It's true that US highways can boast a million lanes, but EU highways in general are far 1) safer, 2) better signposted, 3) better lit and 4) better surfaced. Even in my home country of the UK, the highways (motorways) are generally of better quality. None of the highways or expressways here in South Florida would even be able to achieve motorway classification. There are too many exits, merge lanes are not long enough and safety is a complete and utter joke.

The US has some great roads, but it cannot hold a candle to the highways of countries such as Germany, France or the Netherlands. If the UK had more motorways, I'd say the UK too, only the UK just doesn't have enough.
+1
FabriFlorence no está en línea  
Old January 19th, 2011, 03:56 PM   #1120
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2098

It seems to me that this kind of polls has a very predictable outcome, given that not many people drove on both EU and US motorways: Europeans vote for EU roads, Americans for US roads.
g.spinoza no está en línea  

Closed Thread