daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: So?
EU 388 79.51%
USA 100 20.49%
Voters: 488. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old January 19th, 2011, 05:57 PM   #1121
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xusein View Post
This comparison is invalid...although the US is a huge country, it is still one single country being compared against 27 nations that all have different standards, some better than others. Compare it to North America or something (although yeah EU would win if that was the case).
A more valid comparison would be USA v Western Europe. Most new EU members still have worse roads than the US.
Verso no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old January 19th, 2011, 07:34 PM   #1122
KingNick
Make Wu'bar Great Again

Likes (Received): 8718

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
It seems to me that this kind of polls has a very predictable outcome, given that not many people drove on both EU and US motorways: Europeans vote for EU roads, Americans for US roads.
True. I know both pretty well and even though I gotta say that Europe wins in quality, I still prefer driving on US expressways. The feeling when your driving thru the raw countryside is just unique, whereas you don't have that feeling in Europe due to it's density.
KingNick no está en línea  
Old January 20th, 2011, 03:46 AM   #1123
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19207

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comfortably Numb View Post
I voted EU (and proud).

It's true that US highways can boast a million lanes, but EU highways in general are far 1) safer, 2) better signposted, 3) better lit and 4) better surfaced. Even in my home country of the UK, the highways (motorways) are generally of better quality. None of the highways or expressways here in South Florida would even be able to achieve motorway classification. There are too many exits, merge lanes are not long enough and safety is a complete and utter joke.

The US has some great roads, but it cannot hold a candle to the highways of countries such as Germany, France or the Netherlands. If the UK had more motorways, I'd say the UK too, only the UK just doesn't have enough.
Germany motorways are not that great at all. There are a lot off exits with very tight slip roads and short acceleration/deceleration lanes. Some of the old ones have narrow or even non existent hard shoulder/emergency lane.
For me, all the superlatives about German motorways are partly mythical, caused by lack of speed limits on some sections. Sure, there are some great stretches but so they are in the US.
French motorways are great (especially the surface because geometry or other design aspects are not especially spectacular) but stupid tolls completely destroy driving experience, at least for me.
Netherlands motorways are fine, UK ones too, but I don't see big superiority in quality over the US interstates.
In UK strong points is that motorways are mostly with three lanes.
In US I like wide median, feeling of space (outside urban areas) and some stack intersections. They are truly amazing. Come on guys, what in our backyard beats "high five" in Dallas?
Paving varies, I experienced great and really bad one. But the same applies to EU.
I don't understand complaining about signposting in US. I never got lost there, even driving in unfamiliar urban areas, despite never using satnavs.
Signposting in US is clear and consistent. It's big advantage over EU system of 27 sets of road signs, 27 road numbering and naming systems, 27 of everything actually. It's huge mess comparing with logical US system.
geogregor está en línea ahora  
Old January 20th, 2011, 11:30 AM   #1124
Alex Von Königsberg

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogregor View Post
Signposting in US is clear and consistent. It's big advantage over EU system of 27 sets of road signs, 27 road numbering and naming systems, 27 of everything actually. It's huge mess comparing with logical US system.
There is no such thing as EU sign-posting because each country has its unique style. If I were to compare the American signs with the German ones, I would say that Germany beats the USA hands down. France and Italy - not so much. That is from my personal observations. The most objective way to compare the above systems would be to ask a person who has never driven in either country which one is more clear and consistent after having a first-time drive.
Old January 20th, 2011, 12:46 PM   #1125
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Likes (Received): 1036

I would go for the American route. A motorway is a motorway, but you get to keep the cash in your pocket. You get to drive more and enjoy your life more.
YU-AMC no está en línea  
Old January 20th, 2011, 01:18 PM   #1126
Wimpie

Likes (Received): 1

Even though my driving expierence in the US is limited to the state of New York and New Jersey, I prefer Europe(15) over the US.
Even though I liked driving in the US, the road quality gravely disapointed me.
I've never seen such bad pavement quality as over there.
People who claim that there isn't that much difference, are either blind, don't know how to use Google Streetview or haven't been in both unions.
Wimpie no está en línea  
Old January 20th, 2011, 01:53 PM   #1127
Maarten Otto

Likes (Received): 24

This must be one of the lamest topics around... you guys are fighting each other with concrete....

Does Europe has this.... No because we invested money in decent public transport...

Bleh... what a joke is this part of the forum...
Maarten Otto no está en línea  
Old January 20th, 2011, 04:15 PM   #1128
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19207

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maarten Otto View Post
This must be one of the lamest topics around... you guys are fighting each other with concrete....

Does Europe has this.... No because we invested money in decent public transport...

Bleh... what a joke is this part of the forum...
Well, no one force you to read it. You can use your time reading about trams and trains or naked women or men or dogs or whatever. Don't waste it writing on topic you find lame.

Internet has something for everyone.
geogregor está en línea ahora  
Old January 20th, 2011, 08:25 PM   #1129
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Quote:
Of course not. Quite the opposite. You cannot make mistakes in Europe, but you can in the US. What if someone has to take the I-something in North Dakota and end up taking the I-something in South Dakota?
How would that happen?

Quote:
No, it just means that americans are too lazy or dumb to devise a different scheme (for instance, spurs not only with 3-digit numbers but also with 4-digit numbers. Or with letters -- I-A95 and I-B95 being spurs of the I-95).
"Lazy"? "Dumb"? Doing something differently than continentals is lazy and dumb? (As if we should even know or care how continentals number their roads....) News flash: Western Europe is not, and has not been for some time, the model of civilization that the rest of the world needs to conform with, regardless of what Brussels tells you and how highly you think of yourselves. We've chosen, for whatever reason, not to include letters in our Interstate numbering and to avoid four-digit numbers. So the hell what?

Voted "US" just on principle.
Penn's Woods no está en línea  
Old January 20th, 2011, 08:28 PM   #1130
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19404

Many European countries do not include letters in road numbers on the signage, for example Czech Republic, Germany and Switzerland.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora  
Old January 20th, 2011, 08:39 PM   #1131
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
How would that happen?
You tell me.

Quote:
"Lazy"? "Dumb"? Doing something differently than continentals is lazy and dumb? (As if we should even know or care how continentals number their roads....)
No, but doing something wrong is.

Quote:
News flash: Western Europe is not, and has not been for some time, the model of civilization that the rest of the world needs to conform with, regardless of what Brussels tells you and how highly you think of yourselves.
Cool. US has never been a model of civilization, so we still win.

Quote:
We've chosen, for whatever reason, not to include letters in our Interstate numbering and to avoid four-digit numbers. So the hell what?
So the hell nothing, but I still think this is lazy and dumb. Come here and make me change my views.

Quote:
Voted "US" just on principle.
Good. That's how things are done in America. Be proud.

EDIT: For the record, I already apologized for my earlier words, which I said in response to someone who was being rude and insulting.
But you too commented insulting (and addressing things that were never an issue, like "how highly we think of ourselves") and I respond. That's it.
g.spinoza no está en línea  
Old January 20th, 2011, 09:01 PM   #1132
Verso
Islander

Quote:
How would that happen?
It could, if it were close to their border.
Verso no está en línea  
Old January 20th, 2011, 09:09 PM   #1133
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 768

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Many European countries do not include letters in road numbers on the signage, for example Czech Republic, Germany and Switzerland.
Switzerland does not use any road number at all (except on motorways and some main roads, very few of them with a letetr suffix)

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea  
Old January 20th, 2011, 10:28 PM   #1134
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Quote:
You tell me.
No, it was you who suggested that not being able to tell the difference between Interstate X in one Dakota and Interstate X in the other was a possible problem. Since the only Interstate number that actually exists in both Dakotas is on a single road that passes through both of them, even a lazy, dumb American should be able to find the right road, and head for the other state if he's in the wrong one.

Quote:
No, but doing something wrong is.
Again, "doing something differently from Europeans" does not mean the same thing as "doing something wrong".

Quote:
Cool. US has never been a model of civilization, so we still win.
Whatever. Europe's history, if you go back before 1946, is not something that gives you any right to brag about your superiority to anyone else.

Quote:
So the hell nothing, but I still think this is lazy and dumb. Come here and make me change my views.
Not worth the trouble. Even if you were in a more civilized part of Europe than Hitler's home town.

Quote:
Good. That's how things are done in America. Be proud.
I voted US on this poll just because it's full of annoying Europeans like you who seem to think that alpha-numeric four-digit route numbers (or everyone going metric or using the same currency or driving on the right) are a more important marker of civilization than, I don't know, not electing Nazis. I'm proud enough of my country, and the opportunity for a better life it's presented to millions of people who would have been killed if they'd stayed in Europe, that I resent being treated by Europeans as if I live in the third world. That's a ridiculous reason, of course, but the whole poll's ridiculous, so why not?

Quote:
EDIT: For the record, I already apologized for my earlier words, which I said in response to someone who was being rude and insulting.
But you too commented insulting (and addressing things that were never an issue, like "how highly we think of ourselves") and I respond. That's it.
Well, that's what happens when you argue on the Internet: sooner or later you'll say something offensive to or about an entire nation because you're mad at one member of it, and then a week later another member of said nation who's been off the forum for a bit comes back and says, whoa?
Penn's Woods no está en línea  
Old January 20th, 2011, 10:32 PM   #1135
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Europeans complain about 4-digit road numbers? That's weird, considering a few countries in Europe use 4 or even 5-digit road numbers. Some examples;

* France
* Spain
* Estonia
* Slovakia
* Czech Republic
* Hungary
* Finland
* Germany
Old January 20th, 2011, 11:18 PM   #1136
niterider
niterider

Likes (Received): 0

Labelling 'Europeans' is pointless as those in Germany tend to have a different outlook to those in the UK...you only need to read up a few lines to see the self righteous 'superiority' complex emerge. I never understood the small d*ck syndrome certain parts of Europe have with the USA
niterider no está en línea  
Old January 20th, 2011, 11:21 PM   #1137
Surel

Likes (Received): 2155

Quote:

Your whole comment made me feel rather unpleasant. As the latter part of this discussion here as well.

First of all, Europe does not equal Nazism before 1946 as well as not Europe equals Communism after. There were nations in Europe that suffered and fought nazism in a way most americans can not even imagine. And if you come up with such arguments, than dont forget to add that the country where it is legal to openly support nazism nowadays are US not European countries. I will not go further into flame and present some strong oppinions I hold.

As for the question. I have never driven in the US so I cannot be objective on this. Only what I got from media - internet - friends. Anyway I would say that the question will be in few years obsolete and we should answer then China lol.

If I strictly look at EU versus US. I have to say that as EU is, there is not an complete network. There are substantial gaps, differences etc. in the system and the system itself is only few decades old (and that holds also for the western part of EU), whereas in the US it was meant from the start an designed and thought system and it works as such. From this point I would give the superiority to the US, whether in the future EU fills the gaps..?
Surel no está en línea  
Old January 21st, 2011, 12:05 AM   #1138
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Yes, the incomplete motorway network is a major setback for Europe, even if you think of Europe as "EU". There are still many missing links, also in western Europe, but more so in central and southeastern Europe. Of course, this can be explained historically, but it doesn't bode well for Europe in a comparison.

The United States overall has been a very wealthy country for many decades. Europe, in part, was just as wealthy, but there are also areas of Europe where wealth is just starting to accelerate, and the road network goes accordingly (and sometimes not).

Lastly, the U.S. had a centrally planned and funded Interstate Highway network. Something like that on such a scale never existed in Europe. All roads and motorways are funded out of the regular budget, which are generally surprisingly tight considering our much higher taxes.
Old January 21st, 2011, 01:30 AM   #1139
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2112

Quote:
Again, "doing something differently from Europeans" does not mean the same thing as "doing something wrong".
In this case, it is. I don't say it is always so. In this case having different National routes with the same number is wrong, but hey, it's not that important and I don't give a damn, so why do you?

Quote:
Whatever. Europe's history, if you go back before 1946, is not something that gives you any right to brag about your superiority to anyone else.
No comment (slaves? apartheid? mccarthism?)
I never say in Europe we always do things better. I just say a very little drawback of American highways. Why do you write that I wrote something I never did?

Quote:
Not worth the trouble. Even if you were in a more civilized part of Europe than Hitler's home town.
I'm not German, I'm just a guest here. So you expressed your hatred towards a Nation and a people I'm not part of. My congrats.

Quote:
I voted US on this poll just because it's full of annoying Europeans like you who seem to think that alpha-numeric four-digit route numbers (or everyone going metric or using the same currency or driving on the right) are a more important marker of civilization than,
I NEVER SAY IT WAS A MATTER OF CIVILIZATION!!! YOU DID!! In how many ways do I have to tell you???

Quote:
I don't know, not electing Nazis.
Again, that's not me, but my friends here will be very pleased by your stupid comment.
And by the way: you elected Bush. In the 2000s, not in the 1930s

Quote:
I'm proud enough of my country, and the opportunity for a better life it's presented to millions of people who would have been killed if they'd stayed in Europe, that I resent being treated by Europeans as if I live in the third world. That's a ridiculous reason, of course, but the whole poll's ridiculous, so why not?
That's ok with me. It's funny how a little comment about road signage makes people feel "treated as in the thirld world". In America, and in Europe, there are many more important things to worry about.

Quote:
Well, that's what happens when you argue on the Internet: sooner or later you'll say something offensive to or about an entire nation because you're mad at one member of it, and then a week later another member of said nation who's been off the forum for a bit comes back and says, whoa?
There's always someone who starts. It wasn't me, this time.
g.spinoza no está en línea  
Old January 21st, 2011, 02:01 AM   #1140
Verso
Islander

Guys, chill out, ok?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Yes, the incomplete motorway network is a major setback for Europe, even if you think of Europe as "EU". There are still many missing links, also in western Europe
Where exactly? The motorway network in WE has been pretty much completed for some time.

Last edited by Verso; January 21st, 2011 at 06:06 AM.
Verso no está en línea  

Closed Thread