daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: So?
EU 388 79.51%
USA 100 20.49%
Voters: 488. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old April 5th, 2011, 02:05 AM   #1161
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Rest areas along the older motorways in Europe tend to suck anyway, unless it's a tolled road. In countries with newer motorway systems (like Portugal or France) the rest areas are generally outstanding, but in countries like Belgium, Netherlands, Germany or Denmark don't be surprised if all you find is a small number of parking lots, a few benches and garbage bins. Of course there are well-equipped rest areas too, but they are further apart.
The US is like that too in that regard. The toll road sections of the Interstates such as the Ohio Turnpike, Indiana Toll Road, Pennsylvania Turnpike, New York State Thruway, Kansas Turnpike, all of the tolled Chicagoland expressways, Massachusetts Turnpike, New Jersey Turnpike, etc all have good rest areas with gas stations/convenience stores/restaurants and free wi-fi.

However on most non-tolled interstate highways the rest areas basically just consist of a parking lot, some public restrooms, and a few vending machines.
diablo234 no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old April 6th, 2011, 01:19 AM   #1162
ADCS
Kickin' it

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
I am not sure what you guys mean. What does flat road mean? and what is in the US
They're talking about superelevation of curves, to counteract the effect of centripetal force when taking a turn at high speed.

Quote:
From what I've heard from a rather biased source of mine (uncle), Virginia makes every effort to hide highway interchanges with trees and hills and stuff to make it all look natural. Texas, on the other hand, uses nothing but concrete and makes no effort to keep anything hidden, natural looking, or of prudently small size. The concrete pillars that Texas paints up to look all prettyful, Virginia makes a concerted effort to hide.
Virginia's native flora consists mainly of fast-growing hardwood trees, while in the populated areas of Texas, it either consists of scrub that would be unsuited toward camouflage purposes, pines that take too long to grow, or sensitive plants that the toxic highway runoff would kill. Texas also has universal frontage roads, which makes surface-level interchanges inconvenient. Finally, stacks are the most efficient kind of interchange, and Texas' climate is such that icing on the tall bridges would not be an issue during the winter. It snows and ices in Virginia just enough for stacks to be a considerable problem.
ADCS no está en línea  
Old April 6th, 2011, 04:31 AM   #1163
antovador
space wanderer

Likes (Received): 240

USA have good highways, however they must improve more their signages. This is a shame for the US network of highways IMO.

USA

EU

USA

EU
[IMG]http://t1.************/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ8b4FNYxO8rwQyebUyb7jpPKVJyeMm60sCT8toseeRPO1QIlXL[/IMG]

writing signages are totally useless, logically drivers must stay driving not reading losing fractions of second and not everyone understand English.

I remember the movie "Magnum force" after the murder of Rica where you can see two signages "Do not enter" and "wrong way" near the crime scene don't know if they improve after 40 years but in Europe this is enough with this.

Old April 6th, 2011, 04:33 AM   #1164
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17044

There slowly Europeanized things in this region with signs.....making them more picture like instead of words....along with upgrading roads to Euro standards...
Visit the New Jersey Section

Last edited by ChrisZwolle; April 6th, 2011 at 11:07 AM. Reason: unnecessary quote
Nexis no está en línea  
Old April 6th, 2011, 04:35 AM   #1165
kangaroo0100

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxx☢Power View Post
Actually, the standards are mostly the same when it comes to motorway construction. I can't think of any motorways that aren't built to very high standards in the EU. Sure, there are some old ones that were built when standards weren't as high as they are today, but that goes for Interstates too, not to mention the many "freeway" classified roads that are not part of the Interstate system.

As always, it seems that in the US quantity is what matters while in Europe it's quality before quantity (though the quantity is for the most part adequate).
That's how it always is in the US. People prefer quantity over quality for some unknown reason.
kangaroo0100 no está en línea  
Old April 6th, 2011, 11:04 AM   #1166
Wimpie

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by antovador View Post

EU
[IMG]http://t1.************/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ8b4FNYxO8rwQyebUyb7jpPKVJyeMm60sCT8toseeRPO1QIlXL[/IMG]

writing signages are totally useless, logically drivers must stay driving not reading losing fractions of second and not everyone understand English.

I remember the movie "Magnum force" after the murder of Rica where you can see two signages "Do not enter" and "wrong way" near the crime scene don't know if they improve after 40 years but in Europe this is enough with this.

Well, and these aren't even the real signs, used in most European nations, over here they look like this.

Do not Enter

No left turns

Wrong way

One way, as signed when entering a one-way street in the middle

One way, signed at the beginning of the street

Last edited by Wimpie; April 6th, 2011 at 11:11 AM.
Wimpie no está en línea  
Old April 6th, 2011, 07:34 PM   #1167
apinamies

Likes (Received): 722

Why compare 27 countries to one country (although large country).

isn't country vs. supranational union threads against rules in this forum?

USA have one standard in which is used every parts of the country, but in EU-area there are different standards in every country so comparison is not wise.
apinamies no está en línea  
Old April 7th, 2011, 03:38 AM   #1168
weava
Arch(Struct) Engineer

Likes (Received): 1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by antovador View Post
USA have good highways, however they must improve more their signages. This is a shame for the US network of highways IMO.
I think our (USA) signs are way better, there is no confusion since it says right on the sign what it means.
weava no está en línea  
Old April 7th, 2011, 08:19 AM   #1169
kangaroo0100

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wimpie View Post
Even though my driving expierence in the US is limited to the state of New York and New Jersey, I prefer Europe(15) over the US.
Even though I liked driving in the US, the road quality gravely disapointed me.
I've never seen such bad pavement quality as over there.
People who claim that there isn't that much difference, are either blind, don't know how to use Google Streetview or haven't been in both unions.
Roads in the US are quite old, so the pavement quality isn't going to be the best.
kangaroo0100 no está en línea  
Old April 7th, 2011, 12:15 PM   #1170
Wimpie

Quote:
Originally Posted by weava View Post
I think our (USA) signs are way better, there is no confusion since it says right on the sign what it means.
So do ours, but the problem of US signage is that it very often uses written text only, symbols are clearer AND you can make signs bigger while decreasing their total size!

What's so unclear about this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kangaroo0100 View Post
Roads in the US are quite old, so the pavement quality isn't going to be the best.
So are ours but we actually renovate them during their lifespan.

Last edited by Wimpie; April 7th, 2011 at 12:21 PM.
Wimpie no está en línea  
Old April 7th, 2011, 06:09 PM   #1171
TheInsider
BANNED

how's this thread created to compare one nation vs one continent?

it makes no sense at all. one country vs different countries with their own way of doing things. apples and oranges. is this one of those Europeans things where they beg Americans to pay attention to them?

a bunch of geniuses around here.
TheInsider no está en línea  
Old April 7th, 2011, 06:14 PM   #1172
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19411

Quote:
Originally Posted by kangaroo0100 View Post
An old road is not an excuse for bad pavement.

Germany has built over 2000 miles of freeways before 1943 (the largest network in the world at the time). Most of whom are now in good to excellent condition.

Highway engineering and operation goes a bit further than just building a road and then forget about it. Roads need repaving every few years. Every 10 years for asphalt and every 20 - 30 years for concrete. Having freeways with the same surface for over 50 years is ridiculous. Especially with concrete, which you cannot patch up easily. A concrete pavement renovation requires almost a full reconstruction of the existing road. It's a bit more expensive than just another layer of asphalt, and that's why they've postponed it too long in the United States.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora  
Old April 7th, 2011, 06:22 PM   #1173
TheCat
IsraCanadian :)

Likes (Received): 6

It also depends on the original quality of the pavement. For example, here in Ontario newly-repaved asphalt roads tend to wear out and incur significant damage in just a few years. It is quite common for a road here to be repaved and then after just 1-2 winters it fills up with cracks and even deep potholes. I once broke the suspension on one of the wheels in my car because of such a pothole.

The excuse given is that the freeze-thaw cycle in the winter, combined with the scraping of the pavement by snowploughs, causes this damage. This is actually true, but it doesn't seem to be a problem in many European countries, which also have severe winter conditions.

I heard at some point (don't remember what the source was, however) that it is a known fact that the asphalt used in Toronto is not suitable for our conditions, but it is still used because it is much cheaper. I guess at least our road taxes are much lower than in Europe.

I wonder - does the porous asphalt used in NL hold up much better in the winter?
Old April 7th, 2011, 06:33 PM   #1174
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19411

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCat View Post
I wonder - does the porous asphalt used in NL hold up much better in the winter?
No, although they increased its durability in recent years. They say it needs renovation every 9 - 12 years. There could be some patchworks every few years, but nothing on a serious scale. Most winter repairs can be executed in one night or even a few hours because they also have cold asphalt available.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora  
Old April 7th, 2011, 06:41 PM   #1175
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheInsider View Post

it makes no sense at all. one country vs different countries with their own way of doing things. apples and oranges. is this one of those Europeans things where they beg Americans to pay attention to them?

a bunch of geniuses around here.
There are a lot of people in Europe who are so small-minded that they consider their way the "international" way, when it's really just the European way, and when you dare to not conform you're just doing it to be different. (And unfortunately, there are Americans prepared to go along with this belief.) These are same sort of people who consider not caring about soccer, for example, a sign of backwardness.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL

Last edited by Penn's Woods; April 7th, 2011 at 06:51 PM.
Penn's Woods no está en línea  
Old April 7th, 2011, 06:47 PM   #1176
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
So do ours, but the problem of US signage is that it very often uses written text only, symbols are clearer AND you can make signs bigger while decreasing their total size!
And there are no text-only signs in Belgium - some on the previous page? (Forgetting about how widely our respective languages are understood....)

Quote:
So are ours but we actually renovate them during their lifespan.
So do we. Now you're just being a [self-censored].

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old April 7th, 2011, 06:48 PM   #1177
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post

There slowly Europeanized things in this region with signs.....making them more picture like instead of words....along with upgrading roads to Euro standards...
Why is switching to "Euro" standards necessarily an upgrade?

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old April 7th, 2011, 07:15 PM   #1178
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheInsider View Post
What's wrong with that? The US is bigger than the EU (we're not talking about all Europe), so the comparison seems in place. You can even compare the US to Mars. We all know why there're no roads on Mars, but you can compare them anyway.
Verso no está en línea  
Old April 7th, 2011, 07:25 PM   #1179
TheCat
IsraCanadian :)

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Why is switching to "Euro" standards necessarily an upgrade?
I agree partially with your point, but switching to pictorial signs in place of text is simply better, and it happens that in Europe pictorial signs predominate. It doesn't mean that everything North American is worse.

For example, I much prefer using yellow to separate traffic flow in opposite directions. I also think that priorite-a-droit should be the rare exception, rather than the norm as it is in several European countries (though I do think that we have to be more precise and consistent in this regard).
Old April 7th, 2011, 07:45 PM   #1180
VECTROTALENZIS
★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Likes (Received): 4436

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
The US is bigger than the EU (we're not talking about all Europe), so the comparison seems in place.
EU population: 500 000 000

USA population: 310 000 000

bigger?

Closed Thread