daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: So?
EU 388 79.51%
USA 100 20.49%
Voters: 488. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old April 7th, 2011, 07:47 PM   #1181
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Bigger in size.
Verso no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old April 8th, 2011, 02:46 AM   #1182
Botev1912

Likes (Received): 575

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
AA concrete pavement renovation requires almost a full reconstruction of the existing road. It's a bit more expensive than just another layer of asphalt, and that's why they've postponed it too long in the United States.
Yes usually the bad roads in USA are the roads that have old concrete pavement. The asphalt roads are usually in very good condition
Botev1912 no está en línea  
Old April 8th, 2011, 03:42 AM   #1183
TheInsider
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
What's wrong with that? The US is bigger than the EU (we're not talking about all Europe), so the comparison seems in place. You can even compare the US to Mars. We all know why there're no roads on Mars, but you can compare them anyway.

it's fu(king stupid. a highways in Britain is not the same as a highway in Germany. on the other hand, a highway in Minnesota is the same as in Pennsylvania. making the comparison unnecessary and idiotic. now if you compare one European nation's infrastructure against the US then that is a reasonable thread. this is more of an issue of European's obsession with America and constantly seeking the approval and attention of Americans. nobody cares, most Americans surely don't. the attention whoring is really moronic.
TheInsider no está en línea  
Old April 8th, 2011, 03:45 AM   #1184
TheInsider
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
There are a lot of people in Europe who are so small-minded that they consider their way the "international" way, when it's really just the European way, and when you dare to not conform you're just doing it to be different. (And unfortunately, there are Americans prepared to go along with this belief.) These are same sort of people who consider not caring about soccer, for example, a sign of backwardness.
heh, I hear ya!

America never tries to be different. It is DIFFERENT. making it the most powerful and advanced nation so far to have ever existed on earth.
TheInsider no está en línea  
Old April 8th, 2011, 03:52 AM   #1185
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheInsider View Post
it's fu(king stupid. a highways in Britain is not the same as a highway in Germany. on the other hand, a highway in Minnesota is the same as in Pennsylvania. making the comparison unnecessary and idiotic. now if you compare one European nation's infrastructure against the US then that is a reasonable thread. this is more of an issue of European's obsession with America and constantly seeking the approval and attention of Americans. nobody cares, most Americans surely don't. the attention whoring is really moronic.
Except that this thread was created by a Chilean. There're more of us, we don't need your attention. And no, not all American roads are the same, as you're suggesting.
Verso no está en línea  
Old April 8th, 2011, 04:32 AM   #1186
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Quote:
it's fu(king stupid. a highways in Britain is not the same as a highway in Germany. on the other hand, a highway in Minnesota is the same as in Pennsylvania. making the comparison unnecessary and idiotic.
I would not say all US highways are the same at least from a maintence point of view considering that some states maintain their roads much better than others.

The roadway quality in states such as Ohio, Florida, Georgia, and Texas for example (at least in my experience)is way superior compared with the roadway quality in say states such as Louisiana or Alabama.
diablo234 no está en línea  
Old April 8th, 2011, 06:41 AM   #1187
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10399

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wimpie View Post
So do ours, but the problem of US signage is that it very often uses written text only, symbols are clearer AND you can make signs bigger while decreasing their total size!
The reason why Europe uses a unified symbol system when it comes to signage is due to language differences (I think).

Obviously we have just one main language spoken here so it doesn't hurt really.
Xusein no está en línea  
Old April 8th, 2011, 03:25 PM   #1188
Wimpie

Quote:
And there are no text-only signs in Belgium - some on the previous page? (Forgetting about how widely our respective languages are understood....)
Text Only signs are quite rare indeed. They're usually used during roadworks to indicate an exceptional situation which can not be pictured with a symbol.

Quote:
There are a lot of people in Europe who are so small-minded that they consider their way the "international" way, when it's really just the European way, and when you dare to not conform you're just doing it to be different. (And unfortunately, there are Americans prepared to go along with this belief.) These are same sort of people who consider not caring about soccer, for example, a sign of backwardness.

Lets see, how many nations in the world build roads like the Americans do, not that much and mostly on the American continent itself. Now how many nations in the world have signed the FULL Vienna convention and thus have agreed to build roads according to European standards? Many, on every continent.

Typical set of signs

Last edited by Wimpie; April 8th, 2011 at 03:31 PM.
Wimpie no está en línea  
Old April 8th, 2011, 06:14 PM   #1189
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 780

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wimpie View Post
Text Only signs are quite rare indeed. They're usually used during roadworks to indicate an exceptional situation which can not be pictured with a symbol.

Lets see, how many nations in the world build roads like the Americans do, not that much and mostly on the American continent itself. Now how many nations in the world have signed the FULL Vienna convention and thus have agreed to build roads according to European standards? Many, on every continent.

Typical set of signs

"Wegdek in slechte staat." Your example.

"Uitgezonderd fietsen en plaatselijk verkeer." Your example, a couple of days ago.

And if you think that that "Aarschot" with the little picture of a factory and a diagram with all those numbers in different directions is clear and comprehensible (from a moving car), it's because you're used to it. And the same criticism could be made of the diagrams you see ahead of British motorways telling you in great detail what happens in every direction from the roundabout, or French autoroute signs with a dozen destinations but no route numbers, or some messes I've seen on pictures of Italy.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea  
Old April 8th, 2011, 06:21 PM   #1190
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 780

PS:

I don't think it's any more unreasonable to expect the relatively small number of motorists in the U.S. at any given time who don't read English to learn some basic phrases on signs (such as "One Way") than it is to expect people passing through Belgium (and looking in vain for the A1 or A14 because Belgium doesn't bother posting domestic route numbers) to know the Dutch names for Mons or Liège or the French names for Ghent or Antwerp.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea  
Old April 9th, 2011, 02:24 AM   #1191
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21242

Again, I guess the signaling question has some components regarding the nature of US and Europe. In US, knowledge of English is mandatory to drive trucks, for instance. Instead, this is a highly contentious issue in the debate about allowing Mexican truck drivers further inland in US.

Europe would be unworkable if you needed to know dozens of local expressions for "No Left Turn" or "Right Red Turn Allowed" etc. Variety of languages, in itself, makes the case for pictograph signaling. It would be, indeed, dangerous, if we had written signals like "slippery when raining" in Czech and am Italian driver was cruising at 120km/h under rain facing an ineligible sign.

In US, there is a presumption of English knowledge for practical matters.

There is something, though, that works way, way better in US: yellow lanes to divide traffic flowing in opposite directions.
Old April 9th, 2011, 02:43 AM   #1192
SoroushPersepolisi

Likes (Received): 5150

Quote:
well, i think its north america that do things differently , not europe, i have lived in asia, europe and the north america, and asia and europe generally tend to follow the same standards, but in america its different.
Old April 9th, 2011, 02:46 AM   #1193
SoroushPersepolisi

Likes (Received): 5150

Quote:
england is different in comparisson to any country, but the rest of europe, like germany france spain italy austria etc have similar standards
Old April 9th, 2011, 03:50 AM   #1194
Slartibartfas

Likes (Received): 5963

Quote:
This thread was created by a guy from Chile as someone pointed out already.

Apart from the isles, ie the UK and Ireland driving in Europe follows very similar rules and and signs are mostly understandable across borders. After all they better are. Truck traffic is very much pan European and you better want those truck drivers to understand the signs, don't you?
Old April 9th, 2011, 04:01 AM   #1195
sonysnob

Likes (Received): 860

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoroushPersepolisi View Post
well, i think its north america that do things differently , not europe, i have lived in asia, europe and the north america, and asia and europe generally tend to follow the same standards, but in america its different.
There is an Ocean that separates North America and Europe. (I live in Canada, and while I like the Yanks, I don't want to be lumped in as one of them), it isn't surprising that Europe and Asia are similar considering they are the same land mass.

Remember that when road signs were first designed there was no internet to compare global standards across. N.A.'s standard is different than Europe's because of the physical distance between the two areas, not because one standard is superior.

Further, anyone who advocates that all white road markings are superior to the yellow/white variety that is used in N.A. is foolish.
Old April 9th, 2011, 05:45 AM   #1196
Cirdan

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slartibartfas View Post

Apart from the isles, ie the UK and Ireland driving in Europe follows very similar rules and and signs are mostly understandable across borders. After all they better are. Truck traffic is very much pan European and you better want those truck drivers to understand the signs, don't you?
Signage is similar, rules are similar, but the highway standards differ a lot. Existance and size of emergency lanes, lane width, existance and type of rumble strips and the general construction quality are not uniform, so I really don't see how one could compare the European highways as a whole with the American freeways, unless the freeways are either spectacularly great or incredibly horrible, neither of which I'd think holds true.
Cirdan no está en línea  
Old April 9th, 2011, 06:50 AM   #1197
bmanx06

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slartibartfas View Post

I actually find that UK signs can be more text-heavy at times than in mainland Europe. Example:

bmanx06 no está en línea  
Old April 9th, 2011, 09:49 AM   #1198
Slartibartfas

That first sign shown is utterly redundant. There is about three times as much text in there as needed and I am not really sure that increases road safety.
Old April 9th, 2011, 09:51 AM   #1199
Slartibartfas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirdan View Post
Signage is similar, rules are similar, but the highway standards differ a lot. Existance and size of emergency lanes, lane width, existance and type of rumble strips and the general construction quality are not uniform,
That might be the case, after all I am not an expert for highways but the similar rules and signages are the real essentials. After all, it is them which enable the network to function on a European scale which is an absolute imperative economically.
Old April 9th, 2011, 10:09 AM   #1200
Botev1912

Likes (Received): 575

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
There is something, though, that works way, way better in US: yellow lanes to divide traffic flowing in opposite directions.
this is actually a great advantage. You always know you have to be on the right side of the yellow line and you know you are in the right direction
Botev1912 no está en línea  

Closed Thread