daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


View Poll Results: So?
EU 388 79.51%
USA 100 20.49%
Voters: 488. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools
Old April 12th, 2011, 12:38 PM   #1221
SeanT
DK/H
 
SeanT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: DK-Bjæverskov
Posts: 791
Likes (Received): 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shifty2k5 View Post
Dude, we all know that this is a retarded topic by now.

The EU is not a single nation, it consists of 27 different countries and they all have different standards in terms of pavement quality, signage, curv radius etc etc.

I've driven plenty in the US and my vote definitely goes to the US. Are roads in the netherlands better than the US? Yes.

Are roads in France better than in the US? Yes.

Are roads in Germany better than in the US? They're on par.

Are roads in Scandinavia better than in the US? No, they're not.
Yes, but even in Scandinavia you will find some difference. I think when you compare EU-USA, it should be on members/states compare it to BNP/GDP relations. You will always find a difference, although the Scandinavian nations are similar to each other.
SeanT no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old April 12th, 2011, 04:39 PM   #1222
Verso
Islander
 
Verso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Ljubljana
Posts: 22,087
Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by tall_dreams View Post
There should be thread which reads Best Highways: Americas vs EU vs Asia
This thread has obviously become somewhat childish EU v US, so the rest of the world doesn't belong in this 'fight'. But I guess there're roads somewhere that are even better than in the EU or US (Japan maybe).
Verso no está en línea  
Old April 12th, 2011, 06:50 PM   #1223
TheCat
IsraCanadian :)
 
TheCat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 1,358
Likes (Received): 6

From all the photos I've seen on this forum over the past few years, my vote (for the best roads) would definitely go to The Netherlands.

There are many good roads in the world, especially in countries with a relatively new network (e.g. Croatia, some motorways in Poland, etc.), but on AVERAGE, when the whole road network is considered (not only motorways), I'd definitely go with NL, which excels in both construction standards and continuous maintenance. Of course, this does come at a high price.

On the other hand, however, not many regions in the world can compete with the US (and to a smaller extent, Canada) when it comes to the scale and size (especially the physical dimensions) of the road network. Whether it is good or bad is a different story, but that's how it is.
__________________
Check out my driving videos on Youtube | Please visit the Highways & Autobahns forum
TheCat no está en línea  
Old April 19th, 2011, 01:05 AM   #1224
Wimpie
Registered User
 
Wimpie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 230
Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
PS:

I don't think it's any more unreasonable to expect the relatively small number of motorists in the U.S. at any given time who don't read English to learn some basic phrases on signs (such as "One Way") than it is to expect people passing through Belgium (and looking in vain for the A1 or A14 because Belgium doesn't bother posting domestic route numbers) to know the Dutch names for Mons or Liège or the French names for Ghent or Antwerp.
We've made the European route numbers our own domestic numbers. However, they're still posted on kilometerpoles and in all cases where a European route number is not available. Clearly, you have a wrong view on the Belgian (and European situation) in general.

Wimpie no está en línea  
Old April 19th, 2011, 01:20 AM   #1225
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 6,243
Likes (Received): 780

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wimpie View Post
We've made the European route numbers our own domestic numbers. However, they're still posted on kilometerpoles and in all cases where a European route number is not available. Clearly, you have a wrong view on the Belgian (and European situation) in general.

Sigh.

What I was trying to say is that an American who'd looked at his map and memorized the route numbers wouldn't know that he would be unable to navigate in Belgium using A numbers (which does beg the question of why bother showing them on maps....) just like a European who'd looked at his map and memorized that to get from Washington to Chicago you pass Pittsburgh and Cleveland would be out of luck trying to find a sign to Pittsburgh on his way out of Washington.

(And an American, or Frenchman, or German, who doesn't know the Dutch names for francophone cities and vice versa will have trouble navigating in Belgium by place names.)

My point is that the systems are DIFFERENT (and that people driving in other countries need to accept that and adapt. Flemings are big on insisting people adapt, aren't they? ;-) ). That's my OPINION. It's actually a bit pathetic that you judge it "wrong."
__________________
I didn't vote for him....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea  
Old April 19th, 2011, 01:25 AM   #1226
snowdog
Speed freak
 
snowdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Capelle ad ijssel
Posts: 969
Likes (Received): 92

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCat View Post
From all the photos I've seen on this forum over the past few years, my vote (for the best roads) would definitely go to The Netherlands.
I disagree, our motorway network is quite decent but suffers from extreme congestion. B roads are pretty crap, quality wise they're great like motorways, but they're pretty much non existent, there are far too little roads that are decent alternatives to motorways, France is far better in that aspect. Also the B roads have FAR too many traffic lights, because morons (in the government) think normal (grade seperated) interchanges between motorways and secondary roads are unsafe, retards...

I personally like Germany's roads most, they are not as smooth on small scale, but they don't have the stupid bog bumps in the roads like around here, they're built on decent ground and can be driven on 200+kph consistently, while here I broke my oil sump doing that by a bump in the road caused by the soft bog ground under the motorway collapsing. Also their lanes are far wider, on both motorways and on secondary roads.

Drive from berlin to the NL- perfectly smooth road. Well not smooth if you close it up there are holes here and there or clear gaps between concrete plates but they don't bother me
Get in the NL- fine until Utrecht except for a crappy slow speed limit.
Utrecht- Rotterdam - Wobble Wobble Wobble, yes the surface itself is very smooth, but the ground under the road shrinks which isn't great for high speed travel.


For example:
http://maps.google.nl/?ie=UTF8&ll=51...,37.6,,0,10.01
http://maps.google.nl/?ie=UTF8&ll=51...32.73,,0,11.18

It's very hard to see in the picture but you get quite a shock driving on the left lane there. I even once bumped my head as a passenger and my coke in my cupholder flew against the ceiling because my mate was doing silly speeds there at the time. Small potholes do bugger all if you go fast enough over them, but uneven ground can make the car go fly. Which is why I like German roads most. I always do a constant 160+ when I travel back from Poland there and not once have I been sent airborne or smashed my oil sump/exhaust/bumper into the tarmac because of high speed. While in the NL, I've broken a small flex bit of my exhaust and puntured my oil sump on the motorway. Not to mention how often my car went flying like a plane because of the uneven ground. Our roads are pretty crap in places for 200+ kph. FAR worse than the roads of ze Germans.


Fianlly, city roads, BAH, they're extremely polluted with ****ing speedbumps... I haven't noticed this trend much yet abroad, just here.


Yes, I rate roads by how fast I can go on them without crashing or damaging my car, and Holland definitely loses, far too little road for too many cars, roads which send your car flying at higher speeds, etc... The country where you can go the fastest from A to B without problems, has the best highways imho.

Last edited by snowdog; April 19th, 2011 at 01:45 AM.
snowdog no está en línea  
Old April 19th, 2011, 01:55 AM   #1227
TheCat
IsraCanadian :)
 
TheCat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 1,358
Likes (Received): 6

Since you live there and I can only judge by looking at pictures, I can't argue I did visit NL last year, but only used the train to get between cities and never drove on motorways.

I was mainly referring to construction/pavement quality, standards (e.g. the really long acceleration/deceleration lanes in NL), and maintenance. Otherwise I am very aware of the horrible congestion problems in NL. I also assume that the really low/reclaimed ground poses many problems.

When it comes to Germany, I actually only recently realized (again, mostly through this forum) that despite the legendary no-speed-limit zones, the network actually varies widely in construction standards and a significant portion of it is actually not that "flawless" (I was especially shocked to see pictures of stop-sign entries onto sections of the Autobahn, which apparently are also not limited in speed).

What especially impresses me about NL is that despite the winters, which I assume are similar to ours here in Southern Ontario, the roads always seem to look in very good condition (I know that there are many exceptions here and there). It seems that roads are repaired on an on-going basis, which is of course not that surprising considering your astronomical costs of owning a car.

This is in great contrast to the roads where I live, which, after being newly re-paved are often neglected for years, and local damage (such as potholes) is often repaired in a very crude/unprofessional manner which leaves the road surface very uneven. This patchwork accumulates over a number of years. It also doesn't help that the asphalt used is of unsuitable quality to our climate, and as a result just one winter is often enough to severely damage roads. Also, pavement markings degenerate relatively quickly on heavily-traveled roads, and are almost never re-painted in a timely manner, so on many roads they are almost invisible. Good markings is another thing I noticed in NL (though I admit, you guys seem to overdo it with your colourful markings and the ones meant to make roads look narrower than they really are).

This applies more to local/city roads. While motorways are also often not repaired in the best way, the situation on our 400-series highways is not as bad.
__________________
Check out my driving videos on Youtube | Please visit the Highways & Autobahns forum
TheCat no está en línea  
Old April 20th, 2011, 01:49 PM   #1228
Wimpie
Registered User
 
Wimpie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 230
Likes (Received): 1

Europe also has a collonial legacy which results in the fact that many European standards in terms of road construction are found all over the world.

For example, Australia

image hosted on flickr


Senegal


Iraq


Tunesia


Chili


Congo


Zuid-Afrika
image hosted on flickr

Last edited by Wimpie; April 24th, 2011 at 11:57 AM.
Wimpie no está en línea  
Old April 22nd, 2011, 10:36 AM   #1229
Botev1912
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Seattle
Posts: 988
Likes (Received): 575

Some interesting facts

The longest highway in the US is I-90 from Seattle to Boston 3,020.54 miles (4,861 km)

The widest 21 lanes is I-5 along a 2-mile (3.2 km) section in San Diego

Most states served by an Interstate 15 states+DC: I-95

Most Interstates in a state: New York 29 routes totaling 1,674.73 miles (2,695 km)

Most Interstate mileage in a state: Texas 3,233.45 miles (5,204 km)
Botev1912 no está en línea  
Old April 22nd, 2011, 03:42 PM   #1230
geogregor
Registered User
 
geogregor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: London
Posts: 15,523
Likes (Received): 19164

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
Some interesting facts

The longest highway in the US is I-90 from Seattle to Boston 3,020.54 miles (4,861 km)

The widest 21 lanes is I-5 along a 2-mile (3.2 km) section in San Diego

Most states served by an Interstate 15 states+DC: I-95

Most Interstates in a state: New York 29 routes totaling 1,674.73 miles (2,695 km)

Most Interstate mileage in a state: Texas 3,233.45 miles (5,204 km)
Cool stats.
I've just read interesting book about history of the interstates:
http://http://www.amazon.com/Roads-T...3476132&sr=8-1
geogregor no está en línea  
Old April 22nd, 2011, 05:01 PM   #1231
Surel
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,702
Likes (Received): 2155

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wimpie View Post
image hosted on flickr

This picture looks so crazy... It makes me think of higway to heaven. Is the slope really so steep, or is it only due to the zoom of the camera?
Surel no está en línea  
Old April 22nd, 2011, 05:06 PM   #1232
ChrisZwolle
Road user
 
ChrisZwolle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Zwolle
Posts: 43,603
Likes (Received): 19391

It's zoomed, but it's also a steep bridge, I believe some 80 meters tall.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea  
Old April 22nd, 2011, 05:21 PM   #1233
Verso
Islander
 
Verso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Ljubljana
Posts: 22,087
Likes (Received): 4749

@Surel: it's not only zoom. My pic:

Verso no está en línea  
Old April 24th, 2011, 12:09 PM   #1234
Wimpie
Registered User
 
Wimpie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 230
Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCat View Post

What especially impresses me about NL is that despite the winters, which I assume are similar to ours here in Southern Ontario, the roads always seem to look in very good condition (I know that there are many exceptions here and there). It seems that roads are repaired on an on-going basis, which is of course not that surprising considering your astronomical costs of owning a car.
Western-Europe has a much milder climate as any given side of Canada, our winters are not comparable to the harsh ones you know in Canada with plenty of snow (snow is still quite rare here)
Ontario is located on almost the same latitude as for example Italy. Italy has a mediterranean climate (as you probably know that is a hot climate with sub tropical mediterranean vegetation).

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdog View Post

It's very hard to see in the picture but you get quite a shock driving on the left lane there. I even once bumped my head as a passenger and my coke in my cupholder flew against the ceiling because my mate was doing silly speeds there at the time. Small potholes do bugger all if you go fast enough over them, but uneven ground can make the car go fly. Which is why I like German roads most. I always do a constant 160+ when I travel back from Poland there and not once have I been sent airborne or smashed my oil sump/exhaust/bumper into the tarmac because of high speed. While in the NL, I've broken a small flex bit of my exhaust and puntured my oil sump on the motorway. Not to mention how often my car went flying like a plane because of the uneven ground. Our roads are pretty crap in places for 200+ kph. FAR worse than the roads of ze Germans.
I know what you're talking about, I've been there last week and these bumps are quite large at some parts. I never expected to see that in the Netherlands (we don't have them in Belgium for example). I wonder what they can do to fix them, they can't just change the nature of the underground.
Wimpie no está en línea  
Old April 24th, 2011, 12:28 PM   #1235
Botev1912
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Seattle
Posts: 988
Likes (Received): 575

what kind of bumps are you talking about. any pics?
Botev1912 no está en línea  
Old April 24th, 2011, 01:42 PM   #1236
Wimpie
Registered User
 
Wimpie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 230
Likes (Received): 1

It is hard to take pictures of them because they look like any other part of the freeway.
Wimpie no está en línea  
Old April 26th, 2011, 07:18 PM   #1237
ChrisZwolle
Road user
 
ChrisZwolle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Zwolle
Posts: 43,603
Likes (Received): 19391

Having driven now 100% of the Danish motorways, I can say for most of the time the road quality is not much better than "acceptable" or "mediocre". Relatively few roads have absolutely smooth surface. Maybe DK should spend a little more in maintenance, many roads are patched up, sometimes so much the entire roadway is patched, with few of the original pavement remaining. Roads like that require full top layer replacement. Second, nearly all roads are extremely noisy compared to Germany (non-concrete) and the Netherlands.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea  
Old April 28th, 2011, 12:21 AM   #1238
Wimpie
Registered User
 
Wimpie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 230
Likes (Received): 1

Yes it surprised me as well and it can not be blamed on the "harsh winter conditions" for they aren't harsher than in Western-Europe.
Wimpie no está en línea  
Old May 7th, 2011, 09:18 PM   #1239
Botev1912
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Seattle
Posts: 988
Likes (Received): 575

US infrastructure lagging far behind Europe

http://homelandsecuritynewswire.com/...-behind-europe
Botev1912 no está en línea  
Old May 8th, 2011, 04:46 AM   #1240
geogregor
Registered User
 
geogregor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: London
Posts: 15,523
Likes (Received): 19164

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
US infrastructure lagging far behind Europe

http://homelandsecuritynewswire.com/...-behind-europe
Here is article from last week The Economist:

http://www.economist.com/node/186209...20944&fsrc=rss
geogregor no está en línea  


Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 05:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

tech management by Sysprosium