daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: So?
EU 388 79.51%
USA 100 20.49%
Voters: 488. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old May 10th, 2011, 07:29 PM   #1261
riiga

Likes (Received): 126

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
My opinion is totally opposite - US highways are impressive, but quite ugly visually.
Indeed.

Here's an example of how European (in this case Swedish) motorways are more eye appealing, compared to often very straight, cut-through US highways.
riiga no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old May 10th, 2011, 08:38 PM   #1262
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 780

Okay, look at Piotr71's pictures of the road between Lille and Dunkerque, and find pictures of mountain stretches of the Pennsylvania Turnpike, and tell me which is more "visually appealing" (and "straight"). Or alternatively, someone could just lock this fricking thread. OR we could leave it open but stop making ridiculous generalizations based on selected single stretches of road.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea  
Old May 10th, 2011, 10:14 PM   #1263
Botev1912

Likes (Received): 575

where is that picture
Botev1912 no está en línea  
Old May 10th, 2011, 10:36 PM   #1264
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
where is that picture
E4, just east of Nyköping, Sweden, looking Northeast.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora  
Old May 11th, 2011, 01:56 AM   #1265
nerdly_dood
Possibly Registered User

Likes (Received): 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Okay, look at Piotr71's pictures of the road between Lille and Dunkerque, and find pictures of mountain stretches of the Pennsylvania Turnpike, and tell me which is more "visually appealing" (and "straight"). Or alternatively, someone could just lock this fricking thread. OR we could leave it open but stop making ridiculous generalizations based on selected single stretches of road.
+1 The Pennsylvania Turnpike is anything but straight.
nerdly_dood no está en línea  
Old May 11th, 2011, 02:19 AM   #1266
old school

Likes (Received): 344

Quote:
My opinion is totally opposite - US highways are impressive, but quite ugly visually.
old school no está en línea  
Old May 11th, 2011, 02:27 AM   #1267
VoltAmps

Likes (Received): 49

When I said USA's highways are more visually appealing than europes I was actually talking about the urban areas. The US invests a lot in making the land surrounding the highways aesthetically pleasing, including planted trees, cultured lawns, and sound barriers with interesting murals on them. Plus they use cement barriers for the majority of their highways which IMO are much better looking than Europe's steel railings.

But if you want appealing highways out in the country, check out Virginia's "corridor H". Its incredible. Note the way they made the overpasses connect seemlessly with road surface.

VoltAmps no está en línea  
Old May 11th, 2011, 03:08 AM   #1268
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

(Psst. That's West Virginia, actually. The two states don't like being confused for each other. Particularly since the northwestern part of Virginia reacted to Virginia's seceding from the Union - 150 years ago last month - by saying "screw that" and seceding from Virginia to stay in the Union. So they were actually on opposite sides in the Civil War, and had more than their share of the fighting on their territory. Just a little history lesson. If you don't believe me, ask Nerdly. )

Interesting you should say that: just this afternoon, we learned that North American cities don't have trees: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1375871

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old May 11th, 2011, 03:18 AM   #1269
Botev1912

Likes (Received): 575

haha there are a lot of trees

I-405 in Bothell, WA

Golden Gardens Park in Seattle

Last edited by Botev1912; May 11th, 2011 at 04:10 AM.
Botev1912 no está en línea  
Old May 11th, 2011, 03:40 AM   #1270
VoltAmps

Likes (Received): 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post

(Psst. That's West Virginia, actually. The two states don't like being confused for each other. Particularly since the northwestern part of Virginia reacted to Virginia's seceding from the Union - 150 years ago last month - by saying "screw that" and seceding from Virginia to stay in the Union. So they were actually on opposite sides in the Civil War, and had more than their share of the fighting on their territory. Just a little history lesson. If you don't believe me, ask Nerdly. )

Interesting you should say that: just this afternoon, we learned that North American cities don't have trees: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1375871
Where in Houston is that interchange? I'm willing to bet there actually ARE trees that can be spotted in the area once construction is finished
VoltAmps no está en línea  
Old May 11th, 2011, 06:28 AM   #1271
Barciur
Ambasador Lublina

Likes (Received): 1543

There is really no point in fighting about who can find a more eye appealing highway, c'mon now. Both - the US and the EU have their very ugly highways and really nice highways..
Barciur no está en línea  
Old May 11th, 2011, 08:40 AM   #1272
TheCat
IsraCanadian :)

Likes (Received): 6

New York also has some scenic highways. Check out my 4-year-old post (the first one in the since-renamed "Roadtrips" thread):
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=884918

(You'll have to scroll down a bit)
Old May 11th, 2011, 07:45 PM   #1273
Wimpie

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
That has always been my impression as well. Americans do what they need to do to make their roads work. They always start from a practical point of view while the esthetic part has always been an important factor in Europe.
Wimpie no está en línea  
Old May 11th, 2011, 08:03 PM   #1274
joshsam
JR

Likes (Received): 5408

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minato ku View Post
Belgian highways are some of worst in Western Europe.
Let me correct that into Wallonian highways. I agree we have bad maintenance overall. But Wallonian higways are far worse the highways in Flanders. The border can be seen very clear.

In this vid got to 2.10 and press play.

Old May 11th, 2011, 08:11 PM   #1275
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I don't agree on the U.S. highways being ugly. For a large part, that's what shown on television, like the aged Los Angeles and New York highway systems where no new freeways were built in the past 30 years. Some DOT's do indeed spend a lot of effort on making a new project aesthetically pleasing.
Old May 11th, 2011, 09:37 PM   #1276
joshsam
JR

But US highways aren't older than European ones...
Old May 11th, 2011, 09:41 PM   #1277
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshsam View Post
But US highways aren't older than European ones...
About 90 percent of the Interstate system, as it now stands, was open by 1980. Many if not most of their French and Spanish counterparts are newer.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old May 11th, 2011, 10:00 PM   #1278
joshsam
JR

Yes but most of the Benelux and Germany was already like it is now in the 70ties no?
Old May 11th, 2011, 10:02 PM   #1279
ChrisZwolle
Road user

On the other hand, the Italian, German, British, Belgian and Dutch networks were nearly completed by that time. Age should not be of influence. We don't build motorways which are subsequently left to deteriorate without proper maintenance.

European motorist taxes frequently bring in 2 - 6 times more than they spend on the highway system. On the other hand, American motorist taxes do not get further than 75%. Hence, nearly all improvement nowadays seem to be toll roads.

I'd rather pay a somewhat higher gas tax than tolls. Do you know how much it costs to cross through France? Over € 70 or almost $ 100. One way!
Old May 11th, 2011, 10:05 PM   #1280
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshsam View Post
Yes but most of the Benelux and Germany was already like it is now in the 70ties no?
That, I don't know enough to talk about with confidence. Which is why I limited my statement to France and Spain.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL

Closed Thread