daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: So?
EU 388 79.51%
USA 100 20.49%
Voters: 488. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old June 6th, 2005, 04:24 PM   #121
Andrew

Likes (Received): 36

What is the speed limit on American highways/freeways (whatever you call them)? I thought it was 60mph. Surely the number on these signs isn't the speed limit?

People here seem to love their huge roads a lot, shame because they're very unsustainble - they take up vast ammounts of land, junctions like those above cut cities into pieces and make the pedestrian environment very uninviting. The over use of the car causes all manners of health problems and contributes to global warming. I don't think they're anything to brag about. The Europeans have got more of the right idea with their use of high speed rail as a viable alternative to roads.

Last edited by Andrew; June 6th, 2005 at 04:30 PM.
Andrew no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old June 6th, 2005, 05:01 PM   #122
DarkLite
vital

Likes (Received): 15994

IMO european highways are great!
DarkLite no está en línea  
Old June 6th, 2005, 05:32 PM   #123
Puce86

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew
What is the speed limit on American highways/freeways (whatever you call them)? I thought it was 60mph. Surely the number on these signs isn't the speed limit?

This is a spanish motorway, so the speed limit is shown in Km/h, not in mph
porque merece la pena.

Cecilio® xD
Puce86 no está en línea  
Old June 6th, 2005, 06:00 PM   #124
BlaZ

Likes (Received): 4

Here some more pictures from dutch highways.

4x4 lanes.

2x5 lanes

pretty special one, 30 km long dike

BlaZ no está en línea  
Old June 6th, 2005, 06:18 PM   #125
Arpels
Αλέξανδρος

Likes (Received): 378

Gooshhhhhhhhhhh they could use some trees or plants to guive another aspect Xabi!!
Arpels no está en línea  
Old June 6th, 2005, 06:33 PM   #126
Arpels
Αλέξανδρος

Likes (Received): 378

some highways close to Oporto Portugal:

Arpels no está en línea  
Old June 6th, 2005, 07:05 PM   #127
el tico

Likes (Received):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew

People here seem to love their huge roads a lot, shame because they're very unsustainble - they take up vast ammounts of land, junctions like those above cut cities into pieces and make the pedestrian environment very uninviting. The over use of the car causes all manners of health problems and contributes to global warming. I don't think they're anything to brag about. The Europeans have got more of the right idea with their use of high speed rail as a viable alternative to roads.

???

That picture is not at all in the US!

Continental American road signs are not like the ones in Europe, the speed limit signs are in a rectangular shape.

Old June 7th, 2005, 11:05 PM   #128
txRNGr

this whole thread on "why european highways are better than American" is redundant from the start. first of all, the US pioneers in road technology whether that be for safety or connectiveness. any logical person can conclude this by understanding the volume of drivers that are in the United States. If we were comparing Mass-Transit then, of course, Europe would win. anyone can build a two lane highway or a cloverleaf intersection, hell India managed to do this. the true measure of superiority comes from innovation in the road systems, not out-dated clover-leaf, round-about, or spegettti interchanges. yes there are some bumpy roads in the US, but i know Europe has its fair shair of bumpy roads. If we really want to compare freeways and highways, we should take the best of the best from each side and compare. Im sure everyone will realize that by the functionality and innovation of many US freeways that the United States is superior in its system. The new interchange of US-75 and I-635 in dallas, texas (shown on the first page of this thread) has over five miles of bridges, is a five level interchange with the tallest level reaching 12-stories, and can handle 500,000 cars per day. any "pretty" and "cute" freeway Europe wants to throw at the US(and Canada for that matter) will loose based off innovation and the ability to handle such a large traffic load. Im sure everyone can agree that the mass-transit systems of the United States seems "cute" and lacks the ability to handle the volume of passengers the European systems can, which makes the European systems superior. But highways as they are today were born in the United States. We have more miles, we have more capacity, we handle traffic better...get over it.
txRNGr no está en línea  
Old June 7th, 2005, 11:23 PM   #129
Xabi

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arpels
Gooshhhhhhhhhhh they could use some trees or plants to guive another aspect Xabi!!
What?

De Snor GOIAN BEGO
Xabi no está en línea  
Old June 8th, 2005, 02:14 AM   #130
Carretero
'Carregoogle' Member

Likes (Received): 96

And what do you think about this spanish interchange? (located at Madrid)

As you can see, it has 4 levels, like biggest american interchanges.

L&C Productions: I: Torre de Madrid - II: Torre Castilla - III: Torre de Valencia - LCP: Hospital Gómez Ulla
Otros reportajes: Urbanismo atroz en Gamonal (Burgos) - Soria: esa pequeña gran desconocida

"La gente debería venir a la obra de vacaciones en vez de al valle de Ordesa"
(Manolo Melis)
Carretero no está en línea  
Old June 8th, 2005, 03:11 AM   #131
txRNGr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carretero

Please, there are 16 4-level interchanges and 1 5-level interchange in the Dallas area alone(not including Fort Worth area to the west which makes up the Dallas-Fort Worth metropolitan area). In fact, many of these 4-level interchanges are scheduled to be reconstructed into 5-level interchanges withing the next 10 years. These 17 large freeway interchanges do not include the countless other 2 and 3-level interchanges that are scattered throughout this area as well. The fact is that most of these interchanges were built in the 1970s or earlier. Grand freeways have been a part of an American's way of life for almost fourty years or longer. Europe's simple clover-leaf and 3 to 4-level interchanges are boring and have been seen time and time again. Texas has begun, on a state-wide scale, to even integrate patterns and symbols casted into the concrete along with a variety of paint schemes into these interchanges and freeways to better fit the surrounding environment and leave a less intrusive image. Like i said, Europe can have its low capacity clover-leaf and 4-6 lane freeways, Americans are years beyond you.
txRNGr no está en línea  
Old June 8th, 2005, 03:54 AM   #132
PotatoGuy

LA interchanges..

Los Angeles

Orange County

(this pic is atleast 10 years old)

Inland Empire

PotatoGuy no está en línea  
Old June 8th, 2005, 03:58 AM   #133
txRNGr

exactly, there are complex and advanced freeways and interchanges across the United States' urban areas. thanks for sharing Potato Guy. California, with its tight-knit cities and extensive freeway system (LA) is a prime example where freeways and interchanges had and continue to require innovation.
txRNGr no está en línea  
Old June 8th, 2005, 04:08 AM   #134
PotatoGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by .::Giorgos::.
i think europes highways are better due to there youth

Athens:

Just because they're newer or prettier or w/e does not mean they are better, in fact it really has nothing to do with that. what should matter is how advanced the freeways/highways are and their capacity and such, aesthetics should have little to do with it. Allthough I will say that most new highways in Europe do look prettier than americans but it is mainly because they're newer and aren't as heavily used.
Old June 8th, 2005, 04:41 AM   #135
PotatoGuy

if we compare rural highways then the US isnt doing that bad. The reasons I can give for the condition of US highways/freeways being in the condition in which they are is that the US has thousands of more miles of highway than any european highway (therefore the money is much more scattered) and european highways are newer, most US highways were built during the 60's and 70's.

But if we compare rural highways, then the US isn't doing that bad.

(kinda looks european)

Old June 8th, 2005, 05:28 AM   #136
DrJoe
Registered Idiot

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carretero

This thing is downright average.
Old June 8th, 2005, 06:10 AM   #137
LtBk

Likes (Received): 3709

Its not the freeway quality i'm worried about, it's the skill of drivers that uses them. It seems many Americans don't know how to drive on freeways, causing all kinds of problems, compared to European drivers.
LtBk no está en línea  
Old June 8th, 2005, 10:06 AM   #138
txRNGr

what facts do you have to back such a statement. do you just conclude that because someone is born and raised in Europe that they are a better driver. furthermore, Americans drive much more than Europeans which would lead someone to conclude that Americans are the more expirenced driver. this argument seems to be just another attempt to distract the thread from the original purpose which is to debate whether European or American Highways are better. again, dispite the ability of the average American driver, the United States(and Canada for that matter) has more innovative Freeways. No one can seem to attack this postition head on so they dance around it with claims such as "Americans don't know how to drive on freeways" which is arrogant and ignorant(two words that are overly-used on this forum).

Last edited by txRNGr; June 8th, 2005 at 10:11 AM.
txRNGr no está en línea  
Old June 8th, 2005, 11:12 AM   #139
Justme
Gotta lite?

Likes (Received): 780

txRNGr, I don't disagree that the American interchanges are larger and more impressive than the European ones. As I mentioned before, I believe in this area, the U.S. highways are superior. However, I also believe that the European highways win out on their viaducts and bridges, which are equally impressive and on a larger scale than North American ones.

As for the size of the U.S. highway system being larger, that is true, but then the European highway system is far denser.

Looking at figures from the CIA world fact book:

European Union:
Area: 3,976,372km²
Total highways (paved): 4,161,381km
Total Expressways: 56,704km

United States:
Area: 9,161,923km²
Total highways (paved): 4,180,053km
Total Expressways: 74,406km

It is clear from the above, that the EU, despite being less than half the land area (2.3x smaller), it has nearly the same total length of highway as the U.S. and a more dense expressway network.

So, in my opinion, this makes both American and European highways equal. The U.S. has wider expressways in cities, with larger and more impressive interchanges. The EU has a more dense network (where some parts have unlimited speed limits) and more impressive tunnel and viaducts.

Here is a quick show of photo's of some viaducts in Europe. They are not chosen by how great they are, just a quick serach, there will no doubt be far more impressive constructions out there. Of cause, I won't put photo's of the tunnels, but there are just so many and some are very very long.

Old June 8th, 2005, 03:09 PM   #140
Ted Ward

One of the things I like about the U.K network is the electronic signage that tells you things like journey times - upcoming obstructions etc etc. You can also go to sites such as NADICS.org.uk and see live webcam pics from motorways if you wish.

That also brings me on to my next point - the U.K motorway network is covered by an extensive c.c.t.v network - pull over on to the hard shoulder and there will likely be a police car pulling up behind you within five minutes.

Moving on - no one has posted pictures of those 'double decker' freeways that you get in america I dont know if they are unique to america but you dont see them in europe.

Also maybe someone here can help I have heard that in america there are roads where the direction of traffic lanes can be changed i.e say there was a six lane highway in the morning it could be 4 lanes heading into the city and two out then in the afternoon four lanes heading out and two in - does anyone have any idea what I am talking about. (Someone told me they have lanes that can change direction but Ive not been able to read anything about it)

Finally there is a surprising number of road enthusiast websites on the internet (I am surprised there is any) this site is good for pictures and links. http://www.cbrd.co.uk/links/
Ted Ward no está en línea  

Closed Thread