daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 2nd, 2008, 01:58 AM   #181
Woozy

Likes (Received): 3

DO WANT!!!!!!! Holy crap that looks amazing!!!
Woozy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 2nd, 2008, 02:01 AM   #182
Andrew

Likes (Received): 36

Coruscant anybody? Build it please!! LOL
Andrew no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2008, 02:30 AM   #183
Newcastle Guy

Likes (Received): 317

Beautiful, I agree it reminds me of Coruscant. That can only be a good thing.
Newcastle Guy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2008, 02:32 AM   #184
Daireon
The lunatic is in my head

Likes (Received): 5559

What i don't like about these extreme proyects is that there's a huuuuuuuuuge building like this, but surrounded by low rises. A real coruscant would be many of these one next to the
other
Old September 2nd, 2008, 02:50 AM   #185
ghostkuw

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRiPLEM View Post
Arabian Business examines the $132bn mega-development set to transform the future of Kuwait.

Stretching from the heart of Kuwait's northern desert to the banks of the Tigris and Euphrates rivers, a 250 sq km tract of desert will soon be transformed by one of the most exciting development projects ever to be undertaken in the Middle East.

With different districts covering business, leisure, academia and culture, in addition to a wildlife reserve and one of the world's tallest skyscrapers - a staggering 1001 metres in height - at its heart, Kuwait's $132bn City of Silk is ambitious even by the Gulf's extraordinary standards.
The Burj Mubarak Al-Kabir tower
Creating homes for 750,000 people and 430,000 jobs, Madinat Al Hareer, as it is known in Arabic, is aimed at diversifying the economy of the petroleum-rich kingdom away from its dependence on oil into sectors such as trading, financial services, real estate and tourism. In so doing, it is hoped that by 2030 the metropolis will contribute nearly $15bn to Kuwait’s annual GDP.

Named after the medieval trade route running between Europe and Asia, City of Silk plans to revive the historic link by becoming a major free trade zone connecting the two continents. The scheme was approved in November with the unanimous endorsement of Kuwait’s parliament, allowing the executive branch of the government to mobilise resources to begin the infrastructure planning.

City of Silk can count on the firm support of the Emir of Kuwait, HH Sheikh Sabah Al-Ahmad Al-Sabah, while the designs are being drawn up by London-based architects Eric R Kuhne and Associates. Leading Kuwaiti real estate company Tamdeen Corporation is acting as development and project manager of the scheme.

Located in Subbiya on the northernmost tip of Kuwait Bay close to the Iraq border, the metropolis will be the largest single real estate development in the Middle East and is due to be completed by 2023.

But as Eric Kuhne, managing director of Eric R Kuhne and Associates, is at pains to point out, City of Silk is aiming for something different.

“This is not just another real estate project but a real symbol of the Middle East,” he says. “The profound vision of City of Silk is not based on investors’ greed but on building a stronger regional economy.”

“I started drawing diagrams on a map, showing all these connections that Kuwait was going to be able to make, and you very quickly realise that Kuwait sits right in the middle of 30 Middle Eastern countries. The idea of recreating the Silk Route for the 21st century is a very attractive one.”

Originally conceived as one of seven city sites to accommodate the explosion of the expatriate population living in the kingdom, as well as the growing number of Kuwaitis returning to their homeland after the Gulf War in 1991, the plans have evolved since then.

The project’s budget has also changed, swelling from the original estimate of $86bn earlier this year to a hefty $132bn now, fuelled by Kuwait’s continuing oil wealth.

Kuhne insists the metropolis will differ from some other projects in the region.

“What we agreed is that with City of Silk we would honour the profound legacy of Middle East arts, science and culture that all other countries in the Arab world seem to have forsaken with developments,” he says.

“Instead of trying to build a city that’s just another European or North American anaemic master plan, City of Silk will look Arabic and celebrate Arabic culture, business and science,” he continues.

“Before the invasion [by Iraq in 1990] Kuwait was decades ahead of any other city in the Middle East and now after spreading its resources around the Middle East, it sees it as the time to restore itself to a position as a leader.”

The city will be divided into four distinct districts. Recreating the hustle and bustle of London’s commercial hub of Canary Wharf, the first zone, the City of Commerce, will be positioned on an inland waterway.

With room for commercial land in Kuwait City running out, the district will answer one of Kuwait’s most pressing needs by providing space for new businesses to establish themselves.

Hugging the banks of the Tigris and Euphrates rivers, the second centre, the City of Leisure, will harness river water to develop resort hotels, leisure villages and sandy beaches along a kilometre-long waterfront.

A centre for athletics, an academy of sport, a centre for sports medicine and an Olympic-standard sports complex to host Middle Eastern, Asian and international competitions will be incorporated within the district, along with a centre for sports medicine.

Building on Kuwait’s growing reputation as a producer of Arabic soap operas, the district will also feature a media city.

At the heart of City of Silk will be the third, and perhaps most ambitious zone, Ecology City, featuring a wildlife sanctuary, nature reserve and wetlands centre.

With nesting and spawning ranges, fresh water ponds and feeding grounds, the park will form part of the protected areas for migratory birds flying every year from the African continent to Central Asia.

“One of the terrible tragedies of the invasion [by Iraq] was the destruction of wetlands that migratory birds would use flying from the African continent to Central Asia,” says Kuhne.

“So we took a quarter of the total area, 49 sq km, and set it aside as a wildlife sanctuary in the middle of the other parts of the city,” he continues. “It includes two universities, one dealing with flora and the other with fauna.”

The fourth district is the Diplomatic Cultural Centre, which will be responsible for higher education facilities and accommodate graduate education and archaeology centres. Attracting diplomatic missions, the centre will also be a cultural hotspot with a major opera house and a performing arts centre.

The population of City of Silk will live within 30 communities made up of five to seven villages, with each community served by its own schools, healthcare facilities and employment. Weaving the fabric of these different areas together will be a network of parks and lakes, with the designers promising that everyone living within the development will be no more than three blocks away from open space.

In an effort to make City of Silk environmentally friendly, the intention is for it to be carbon neutral, with seven million trees planted around the metropolis, irrigated in part by salt water.

At the centrepiece of the city will be the Burj Mubarak Al-Kabir, which at 1001 metres will be one of the tallest towers in the world. Three propeller blades built near the top of the tower will carry a mosque, a church and a synagogue to signify the unity of the three monotheistic religions.

Kuhne says: “The prime minister and the chairman of Tamdeen Corporation had said they wanted the tallest building in the world. I told them ‘we don’t have to be the tallest, but we have to be one of the best’.”

“It’s going to be 1001 metres because of the book 1001 Arabian Nights, so the architecture links in with the folk literature of the civilisation. In the book there are 234 stories so the tower will have 234 storeys,” he continues.

“The towers are actually seven villages stacked on top of one another, and between each of these 30-storey buildings are four levels of gardens, recreation facilities, shops, healthcare facilities, education facilities, police, fire and maintenance facilities.”

Serving the city will be state-of-the-art transport links by road, sea, air and rail.

A 26-km bridge will connect the city to Kuwait City, reducing the drive time to the capital to 17 minutes, rather than the usual 90-minute drive around Kuwait Bay. Work has already begun on the bridge, and highways and roads have been laid to pave the way for future development.

As part of the project, a new sea port will also be built on the biggest island in Kuwait, Bubiyan Island, to serve Kuwait, Iraq and Iran, in addition to acting as one of the closest sea ports to Central Asia.

A new airport will be built to ensure City of Silk’s inclusion in the global network of international cargo, passenger services and information.

Kuwait also wants to link its city by rail to Damascus, Baghdad, Iran and China. Slowly but surely, the new Silk Route is taking shape.

via CivicArts
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/newrep...ply&p=24773544
ghostkuw no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2008, 03:23 AM   #186
xXFallenXx

Likes (Received): 170

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaoticTranquility View Post
Hiya.

Just found a new rendering of the planned tower. I was never fully bought by the earlier designs, but this new image reveals something far more promising. I'll post it below.

Enjoy.

ChaoticTranquility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woozy View Post
DO WANT!!!!!!! Holy crap that looks amazing!!!
[IMG]http://i33.************/sx0ww2.jpg[/IMG]
xXFallenXx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2008, 07:38 PM   #187
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6534

the new render looks even better than the old ones, can't wait to see more
ZZ-II está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2008, 10:18 PM   #188
/-/_E_C_T_O_R 8§8
SSC

Likes (Received): 843

Amazing the new render,
/-/_E_C_T_O_R 8§8 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2008, 10:46 PM   #189
Woozy

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXFallenXx View Post
[IMG]http://i33.************/sx0ww2.jpg[/IMG]
I dont know what it is about house, but thats hillarious! I cant stop laughing!
Woozy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2008, 11:32 PM   #190
antovador
space wanderer

Likes (Received): 240

I think a mod can change the title "Mubarak al-Kabir tower", City of Silk is the entire project where this tower is include. Btw good render.
antovador no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2008, 02:07 AM   #191
Ejdera
BANNED

Likes (Received): 40

Other Arab Gulf States like KUWAIT,BAHRAIN,QATAR will follow the EMIRATES path.
Ejdera no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2008, 04:18 AM   #192
Fury
Proudly Canadian

Likes (Received): 350

Hi all.

That new render looks gooood.

Much better than the old one. Hopefully this goes through approved to U/C soon.

I agree on the thread name change.

Old September 3rd, 2008, 11:45 AM   #193
Skyline_FFM
Atheism rulez!

Likes (Received): 110

Well, at least, it is being well prepared. If they build the bridge and the strees now, then it may start construction in about one or two years, I think!
Skyline_FFM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2008, 07:35 PM   #194
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

in an article they wrote construction will start this month , but i don't think that's true
Old September 3rd, 2008, 07:39 PM   #195
Skyline_FFM
Atheism rulez!

Likes (Received): 110

I think they'll finish infra-structure needed for the construction first... If it started earlier, it would be even better!
Skyline_FFM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2008, 07:47 PM   #196
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 241120

1001 m (3284ft) Oh my god!!! That will be the highest building in the world! WOW Are they going to built it yes or no?

btw: floors, more or about 200
christos-greece no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2008, 07:52 PM   #197
SirAdrian
♥ Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 49

Still feels like a pipe dream to me, but let's hope these articles have substance
SirAdrian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2008, 08:03 PM   #198
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Quote:
Originally Posted by christos-greece View Post
1001 m (3284ft) Oh my god!!! That will be the highest building in the world! WOW Are they going to built it yes or no?

btw: floors, more or about 200
yes, they will build it. but it won't be the highest tower in the world, because Al Burj in Dubai is as good as UC...and it will be taller than 1001m

and about the floors: 234 floors
Old September 4th, 2008, 09:40 AM   #199
cmjohns6

Likes (Received): 7

unbelievable! i wish we had projects like this in the USA!
cmjohns6 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2008, 09:48 AM   #200
buildmilehightower
NANI Luis Almeida Cunha

Likes (Received): 240

murjan tower: 1022m (proposed) +21m

mile high tower: 1150m (planning) +149m

Al burj: 1400m (proposed) +390m
buildmilehightower no está en línea   Reply With Quote