daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 8th, 2010, 07:26 PM   #301
toddatc

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Black Ghost View Post
If in 20 years Dubai can go from

This (1990):

to THIS (2009):

[img]http://i27.************/1zouae9.jpg[/img]

Yes, it can be done.
Woaaa. Thanks for the picture!
toddatc no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 8th, 2010, 09:09 PM   #302
Guest89
----SSC ®----

Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Black Ghost View Post
If in 20 years Dubai can go from

This (1990):

Picture

to THIS (2009):

Picture

Yes, it can be done.
First of all Kuwait is not like Dubai. Their oil is not running out. Second Kuwait must have visionary leaders and the will to transform like that, something Kuwait is not best known for.

If they start building this today it would take at least 20 years to build all of that. As far as if it possible... it is possible as everything else is. As far as if it is viable for Kuwait right now... that is another story. Why? Because Kuwait doesn't have advanced infrastructure like Dubai does and it's tourism is nowhere near what Dubai offers. I would love to see it but I say there is more chance for Nakheel Tower to be built and for less time than this tower.
Guest89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2010, 07:32 PM   #303
luci203

Likes (Received): 1202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest89 View Post
First of all Kuwait is not like Dubai. Their oil is not running out. Second Kuwait must have visionary leaders and the will to transform like that, something Kuwait is not best known for.

If they start building this today it would take at least 20 years to build all of that. As far as if it possible... it is possible as everything else is. As far as if it is viable for Kuwait right now... that is another story. Why? Because Kuwait doesn't have advanced infrastructure like Dubai does and it's tourism is nowhere near what Dubai offers. I would love to see it but I say there is more chance for Nakheel Tower to be built and for less time than this tower.
Not even in 20 years, I doubt that we will have another Real estate bubble in the next 15-25 years. Not to mention the competition. Dubai was "running" almost "alone" in the last 20 years...
luci203 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2010, 07:38 PM   #304
kitayabi

Likes (Received): 351

Quote:
Originally Posted by luci203 View Post
Not even in 20 years, I doubt that we will have another Real estate bubble in the next 15-25 years. Not to mention the competition. Dubai was "running" almost "alone" in the last 20 years...
honestly I don't think their is room for another Hub in the Gulf Dubai has already got the regional tourism market cornered. In the same way Morocco has cornered the Maghreb tourist market.
If Kuwait wants to go ahead with this project it will have to rely on internal consumption.
kitayabi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2010, 09:11 PM   #305
CrazyAboutCities

Likes (Received): 240

Someone posted Middle East's five tallest buildings source on Kingdom Tower in Saudi Arabia thread shows that Burj Mukarak al Kabir is under construction... I didn't see any construction picture on this thread? I am confused?
CrazyAboutCities no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2010, 05:29 AM   #306
Guest89
----SSC ®----

Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by luci203 View Post
I doubt that we will have another Real estate bubble in the next 15-25 years. Not to mention the competition. Dubai was "running" almost "alone" in the last 20 years...
15-25 years? I beg to differ. The markets and economy have short term memory. give it 2-4 years and we will be in another one. Banks are already acting as they did pre 2007 with all the bonuses they give out to their employees. The bubble will return and another crisis will happen. 15 years? more like in the next few.

I agree however that Kuwait is not and probably wont become a tourist hub so there is no point for this tower in my honest opinion. Dubai is already on the map. Kuwait can't compete or if it does it would take much more than 20 years.
Guest89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2010, 07:43 PM   #307
kitayabi

Likes (Received): 351

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest89 View Post
15-25 years? I beg to differ. The markets and economy have short term memory. give it 2-4 years and we will be in another one. Banks are already acting as they did pre 2007 with all the bonuses they give out to their employees. The bubble will return and another crisis will happen. 15 years? more like in the next few.

I agree however that Kuwait is not and probably wont become a tourist hub so there is no point for this tower in my honest opinion. Dubai is already on the map. Kuwait can't compete or if it does it would take much more than 20 years.
Exactly markets have short term memory, as soon as one bubble bursts they start working on creating a new one.
Kuwait Qatar and bahrain all offer the same thing Dubai does and there can only be one Tourist hub in the Middle east.
kitayabi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2010, 05:16 PM   #308
MKTJ

Likes (Received): 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazY View Post
KUWAIT CITY, Jan 14, 2010 (AFP) - Kuwait's parliament gave its initial approval on Thursday to a four-year 129-billion-dollar (89-billion-euro) economic development plan.

The plan, the first since 1986, includes such mega projects as parts of a new business hub called Silk City and estimated to cost 77 billion dollars, a major container harbour and a 25-kilometre (16-mile) causeway.

It also includes a railway and metro system, new cities and additional spending on infrastructure, particularly in the health and education sectors.

The ultimate goal of the plan, which extends from the current fiscal year to 2013/2014, is to turn Kuwait into a regional trade and financial centre, said deputy premier for economic affairs Sheikh Ahmad Fahad al-Sabah.

The second and final vote is scheduled to take place after at least two weeks.

Sheikh Ahmad said the plan aims to boost the role of private business in the state-dominated economy in which the public sector controls almost three- quarters of the Gross Domestic Product.

The plan also stipulates increased spending in the oil sector, the country's lifeline, to raise crude oil production capacity and modernise oil facilities.

The Gulf state has been vying to diversify its economy, in which oil revenues contribute about 94 percent of total state income.

Political bickering that has rocked Kuwait over the past few years has delayed many development projects, however.

Kuwait has amassed huge foreign assets in the past decade on the back of high oil prices. These assets are estimated at about 230 billion dollars and are mostly located abroad.

Kuwait, which says it holds 10 percent of global crude reserves, pumps about 2.2 million barrels per day.

© Copyright AFP 2010.

http://www.zawya.com/Story.cfm/sidAN...4T141545ZTSB15
MKTJ está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2010, 10:47 AM   #309
WiGgLz01
BANNED

Likes (Received): 64

Let's hope we get a 100% yes on that
WiGgLz01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2010, 04:36 PM   #310
thelastpost

Likes (Received): 0

Burj Mubarak Al-Kabir

http://www.popularmechanics.com/scie...s/4343115.html
thelastpost no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2010, 07:37 AM   #311
WiGgLz01
BANNED

Likes (Received): 64

I saw it in popular science, it was a pretty good article. I think it was the june 2009 issue?
WiGgLz01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2010, 07:42 AM   #312
FazilLanka

Likes (Received): 9

Kuwait City is changing so fast....
FazilLanka no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2010, 12:22 PM   #313
TRiPLEM
TripleM

Top 8 Skyscrapers That Will Push the Limits of Design

Last month, the Burj Khalifa in Dubai climbed higher than any other previous structure ever built. But architects won't rest there. Here are eight building plans trying to capture the title as the next tallest tower.
  1. Burj Mubarak al Kabir in Kuwait. (Photograph by Eric Kuhne and Associates)

The Burj Khalifa, currently the tallest tower in the world, officially opened in Dubai on Jan. 4 amid an impressive pyrotechnics display that highlighted the tower's 2716.5-feet of aluminum and steel, and its 26,000 hand-cut glass panels. The Burj Khalifa blows away the next-nearest skyscraper, which is Taiwan's 1670-foot Taipei 101, and the building has even surpassed ultra-tall, ground-cable-supported radio antennas.

Architects' vertical leapfrogging, however, isn't likely to stop at the Burj Khalifa. While the tower will be a tough one to beat, it is likely to remain at the pinnacle for only about another half-dozen years. Developers around the world have proposed numerous new skyscrapers. Some projects have leapt off the drawing boards, though plans for many record-breaking towers have been scuttled because of the global economic spasms of the past couple years. (The original name of the Burj Khalifa, the Burj Dubai, was changed at the last minute to recognize United Arab Emirates president Sheik Khalifa bin Zayed al-Nahyan, who as emir of Abu Dhabi gave struggling Dubai a $10 billion bailout last month.)

So what buildings could be the next to rise up and steal the Burj Khalifa's crown? Here are eight future contenders.

1. Burj Mubarak al Kabir
Location /// Madinat Al Hareer (City of Silk), Kuwait
Projected Height /// 3284 ft

(Photograph by Eric Kuhne and Associates)

This mammoth structure will rise to exactly 3284 feet, or 1001 meters. The height, in meters, is an allusion to the classic collection of Middle Eastern and South Asian folk tales One Thousand and One Arabian Nights, says London-based architect Eric Kuhne, whose firm designed the tower. To break the kilometer-high mark (which is 3281 feet), the $7 billion–plus Mubarak al Kabir will have three interlocked towers that support the overall structure. These towers, or "blades," pinwheel about a triangular central shaft that holds elevators and mechanical equipment. Each blade twists 45 degrees as it rises, for strength, and expands slightly at the top. This Kuwaiti landmark will therefore place more mass and usable space near its zenith compared to other towers, says Kuhne, to avoid the structure having too thin and flexible a tip. To dissipate high-altitude, tower-buffeting gales that could blow at 150 miles per hour, the Mubarak al Kabir will see the first architectural deployment of vertical ailerons—the normally horizontal flaps airline passengers see on a plane's trailing wing edge that help counter wind disturbances. "They will look like continuous ribbons running vertically along the six leading edges of the three blades," Kuhne says. "As [the ailerons] are constantly moving, and catching the sun while they adjust, sunlight will glint off their surfaces. It will add a gentle rippling reflection to the edges of the blades that will add dynamic sparkle to the tower," Kuhne says. The Burj Mubarak has a projected completion date of 2016. [#more]
~Saad Al Barrak
TRiPLEM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2010, 04:16 PM   #314
Locke
Guac Bowl Merchant

Likes (Received): 5456

I've been out to the sight of silk city a few times, it's definitely something which is in the works, though there is a lot of ground work to lay first, like freeways and that sort of thing, but it's quite interesting to see this big roads being built that seem to go to nowhere at the moment.
Old February 9th, 2010, 04:09 PM   #315
thelastpost

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nzm5l9GShS8
thelastpost no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2010, 03:46 PM   #316
Locke
Guac Bowl Merchant

Likes (Received): 5456

That's a great video, this is going to be a mindblowing project when finished.

Great leadership in Kuwait to set the groundwork for all this, the results will be worth it.
Old March 23rd, 2010, 05:26 PM   #317
GulfArabia

Likes (Received): 1513

any news ?
GulfArabia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2010, 08:36 PM   #318
preppy
BANNED

Likes (Received): 11

Beautiful, thanks.
preppy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2010, 05:05 PM   #319
SirAdrian
♥ Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 49

From the earlier renders, i always thought those were lips (like leaves) on the three tops. Seeing now that they're bent spikes, takes much away from its elegance imo. Otherwise great project!
SirAdrian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2010, 02:59 PM   #320
Abdy
BANNED

Likes (Received): 4

Have they choose a date for the beginning of the building start ?
Abdy no está en línea   Reply With Quote