daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Forum Pencakar Langit Malaysia > Cityscapes

Cityscapes discussion, photography and news of towns, cities, districts and states.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 6th, 2008, 06:13 PM   #381
epul_quantown

Likes (Received): 31

new shopping mall in the east coast malaysia

MESRA MALL located in KERTIH (about 60km from KUANTAN) is the new shopping mall in the east coast. MESRA MALL is the new competitor for EAST COAST MALL KUANTAN (opened 6 month ago).

however, TGV will open new cineplex (4 screen) at MESRA MALL in early 2009.

anybody know when the cineplex at EAST COAST MALL will be open????

Last edited by epul_quantown; October 6th, 2008 at 06:16 PM. Reason: huhuhu...
epul_quantown no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old October 7th, 2008, 07:34 AM   #382
aniqasyranie

Likes (Received): 0

i dun think kuantan folk will go to kerteh just for shopping and hanging out..
aniqasyranie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2008, 12:42 PM   #383
Kuantanite

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniqasyranie View Post
I think you are absolutely right. There is nothing in Kerteh. Not worth the 1 hour plus journey.
Actually, I don't think the town has the population to sustain a shopping mall.
Kuantanite no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2008, 02:26 PM   #384
ja2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniqasyranie View Post
But some of the Kuantanites will still spend more than 2.5 hrs journey to shop in KL even we already have East Coast Mall.
ja2008 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2008, 12:03 AM   #385
aniqasyranie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ja2008 View Post
But some of the Kuantanites will still spend more than 2.5 hrs journey to shop in KL even we already have East Coast Mall.
me too!!
aniqasyranie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2008, 05:54 AM   #386
nazrey

Likes (Received): 2228

Needy children feted at bazaar in Kuantan
Wednesday October 8, 2008
By KRYSTLE LOW
TheStar

KUANTAN: In conjunction with the recent Ramadan month, Maxis Communications Bhd (Hotlink) and Hot FM held a bazaar attended by contestants of GangStarz 2.

Children from the Rumah Nurhidayah welfare home and blind students from SM Tengku Panglima Perang Tengku Muhammad were guests at the event.

The bazaar was held to raise donations for the welfare home located in Desa Tanjung.

The children were all smiles as they had the opportunity to mingle with celebrities and DJs from the radio station.

Hot FM executive publicist Khairina Khiradin said the celebrities enlivened the less-fortunate children.

Maxis marketing division manager Rozalila Abdul Rahman said the firm was honoured to help the children and reward customers during the auspicious month.

“We hope our customers will benefit from the packages and enjoy savings,” she said.

Later, the children had fun with AG/Faizal of Hot FM in a host of activities including a dinner, prize giving and lucky draws.

Prizes were given for the most interesting, most creative and most popular booths.

Also, a cheque for RM2,000.80 was presented to Rumah Nurhidayah.

The event ended with a photo session involving the children and celebrities.
nazrey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2008, 05:04 AM   #387
Kuantanite

Quote:
Ahhh...but you are comparing an apple with an orange. KL is where the action is, but what is there in Kerteh? So, it's not uncommon for Kuantan ppl to travel to KL ocassionally for something different. Just like Kerteh or Kemanan people who travel to Kuantan.
Old October 9th, 2008, 05:16 AM   #388
Kuantanite

Hi, if you are in town, do drop by ECM between 16-19 Oct. There is this great exhibition called OLR (One Life Revolution) about Aids there. It's very informative and educational. IT'S FREE!!!

Old October 9th, 2008, 04:04 PM   #389
James Foong

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuantanite View Post
I think you are absolutely right. There is nothing in Kerteh. Not worth the 1 hour plus journey.
Actually, I don't think the town has the population to sustain a shopping mall.
To be frank, the mall is not for you locals. Petronas is providing a place for their outstationed staffs to have somethg to look for, besides walking into warung n grocery shop everytime. Not forgetting the mall serves a number of tired expats working in the oil & gas industries and day business hoppers, which would explain why there hv starbuck n toys r us store.
James Foong no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2008, 04:11 PM   #390
ja2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Foong View Post
To be frank, the mall is not for you locals. Petronas is providing a place for their outstationed staffs to have somethg to look for, besides walking into warung n grocery shop everytime. Not forgetting the mall serves a number of tired expats working in the oil & gas industries and day business hoppers, which would explain why there hv starbuck n toys r us store.
I agree. They earn a lot of money but have no where to spend! This is the time for them to solve the bank account overloading problem.
Old October 10th, 2008, 10:18 AM   #391
Kuantanite

It really beats the logic of economics to really open an ultra modern mall there with tenants which some bigger cities are envious of, eg. Toys R Us, TVG Cinemas, Secret Recipe, etc.

Sure the Petronas employees & expatriates there earn big money and may have spending power comparable to KL, JB or Penang, but with the kind of spending power, these people wouldn’t just want to go to Mesra Mall day in day out? Soon, the 2nd phase of ECE will complete and Kuantan is just a mere 30 mins away and KL another 3 hours further on. My guess is Mesra Mall will be pretty quiet then.

Kuantan has a much bigger population than Kerteh and as far as the cinemas goes, for an average movie, it is hard to find the crowd to fill the 5 halls in Megamall after 3 days. Now Kuantan has another 5 halls in Teruntum complex. Unless, TVG expects people in Kerteh to go for 2nd or 3rd rounds of the same show, I think the screening days per movie would be less than 2 days.

Toys R Us opening there would really be a real surprise. I wonder how many children per family those rich Petronas employees have for TRU to think it is viable to open up an outlet there. We have a Toys R Us ToyBox here in ECM and it looks pretty quiet to me everytime I go there.

Well, if those biggies are really going to open there, I’ll be one heck of a jealous fellow

Last edited by Kuantanite; October 10th, 2008 at 07:53 PM.
Old October 11th, 2008, 12:04 PM   #392
achkeen10

Quote:
Originally Posted by epul_quantown View Post

however, TGV will open new cineplex (4 screen) at MESRA MALL in early 2009.
4 screen or 3 screen? I read somewhere else it says 3screen.
achkeen10 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2008, 05:51 PM   #393
James Foong

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuantanite View Post
It really beats the logic of economics to really open an ultra modern mall there with tenants which some bigger cities are envious of, eg. Toys R Us, TVG Cinemas, Secret Recipe, etc.

Sure the Petronas employees & expatriates there earn big money and may have spending power comparable to KL, JB or Penang, but with the kind of spending power, these people wouldn’t just want to go to Mesra Mall day in day out? Soon, the 2nd phase of ECE will complete and Kuantan is just a mere 30 mins away and KL another 3 hours further on. My guess is Mesra Mall will be pretty quiet then.

Kuantan has a much bigger population than Kerteh and as far as the cinemas goes, for an average movie, it is hard to find the crowd to fill the 5 halls in Megamall after 3 days. Now Kuantan has another 5 halls in Teruntum complex. Unless, TVG expects people in Kerteh to go for 2nd or 3rd rounds of the same show, I think the screening days per movie would be less than 2 days.

Toys R Us opening there would really be a real surprise. I wonder how many children per family those rich Petronas employees have for TRU to think it is viable to open up an outlet there. We have a Toys R Us ToyBox here in ECM and it looks pretty quiet to me everytime I go there.

Well, if those biggies are really going to open there, I’ll be one heck of a jealous fellow
Most of these stores operate by franchising. If the store goes kaboom, it wont impact much on the franchisor. To help them sustain, there must be incentives to operate in there. Low rentals, sponsored events n promotions to bring in the crowd, etc.. are the many ways the mall management ll do. And with petronas backing and no competition in town, i dont think this mall ll die slowly.
James Foong no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2008, 07:36 PM   #394
ja2008

Here we go...
by http://steventan.org/

Old October 13th, 2008, 05:02 AM   #395
Kuantanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Foong View Post
Most of these stores operate by franchising. If the store goes kaboom, it wont impact much on the franchisor. To help them sustain, there must be incentives to operate in there. Low rentals, sponsored events n promotions to bring in the crowd, etc.. are the many ways the mall management ll do. And with petronas backing and no competition in town, i dont think this mall ll die slowly.
What you have pointed out may be right. I also share the same feeling that probably the incentives provided by the management is too good to give it a pass. Come to think of it, managing this mall is just 'chicken feed' to KLCC. I read in the papers that it's not really that big. Only single floor with about 40 shops.
Old October 13th, 2008, 05:05 AM   #396
Kuantanite

[QUOTE=ja2008;26472300]Here we go...

Please take note the link to Steven Tan's site is not safe. I clicked on the link and my antivirus detected the "Bloodhound.Exploits.196' treat.
Old October 14th, 2008, 05:55 AM   #397
rizalhakim
PROUD 2 B MALAYSIAN

Likes (Received): 1121

Quote:
Here we go...

Hey dis is alamanda, well a B-grade version of Alamanda, another shopping mall managed by KLCC
rizalhakim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2008, 05:12 PM   #398
achkeen10

Quote:
Here we go...

Toys R Us express?? not a Toys R Us big store?? which means a mini version?? Yet i still couldnt believe it opens in Kerteh. Kuantan's ECM should have one Toys R Us since a smaller town of Kerteh could have one.
achkeen10 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2008, 06:18 PM   #399
ja2008

Another East Coast Mall photos I grabbed from other forum:

Note: All photos posted by 'KS'.

Batch 1:

Old October 14th, 2008, 06:27 PM   #400
ja2008

Another East Coast Mall photos I grabbed from other forum: