daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 18th, 2006, 08:56 AM   #21
Mosaic
BANGKOK

Likes (Received): 757

Great jobs, Tom. Beijing will change a lot in the future with those cool projects.
Mosaic no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 18th, 2006, 10:18 AM   #22
Handsome

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modernization
__Please watch this video and leave some comments about what you think of the government....
Click here!
these slums are illegal
Handsome no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2006, 10:58 AM   #23
zergcerebrates

Likes (Received): 62

Quote:
__Please watch this video and leave some comments about what you think of the government....
Click here!
Sigh. This video again.

It was never the Central governments intention to evict people by force. Many of these issues that happen are results of corrupted powerful local officials that really do not listen to the Central Government. Countless local officals have been punished over the years for these related crimes but China is a very big place and these unfortunate events still take place. Many of the land grab are selling land illegally by local officials to developers and in return they pay little compensation to people the result as you know is protests. The Chinese media mentions very little of this but it did mention that this is one of the biggest issues China is facing and the Central Government is doing what it can to prevent it.

Aside from this issue the video mentions only one side of the story, sometimes people aren't satisfied with their compensation even if its a fair value and are often have to be evicted by force because development must continue. For all its worth China is doing the best of its ability to help develop the country and lifting people's standard of living. Although I don't really agree on certain things China's governments way of developing is right, it maybe brutal in someways but a few must be sacrificed so that the entire society will be benefited as a whole in the long run. Only a hard fisted country can bring its mass population out of poverty fast. The last thing China needs right now are those mumbo jumbo beaureacracy that slows development.
zergcerebrates no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2006, 11:01 AM   #24
zergcerebrates

Likes (Received): 62

So Tom what is your overall impression of Beijing? I am referring to the city not the people.
zergcerebrates no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2006, 11:11 AM   #25
Tom_Green
Dr.Med. Tom Green

Likes (Received): 3394

Quote:
Originally Posted by zergcerebrates
So Tom what is your overall impression of Beijing? I am referring to the city not the people.
The city itself is great. There are many many things to see. But i should have travelled later, after the olympics. There is much under construction (skyscrapers and subway) and many things under renovation ( Tempel of Heaven, big parts of the forbidden city,.....)

Tom_Green no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2006, 02:02 PM   #26
zybasalt

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Click here!
wow,the video like that will never present in China TV,news paper and TV is the mouthpiece of CCP,luckly we have internet.
zybasalt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2006, 03:43 PM   #27
byoker

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by zybasalt
wow,the video like that will never present in China TV,news paper and TV is the mouthpiece of CCP,luckly we have internet.
I doubt whether you're from mainland,or you don't go to Chinese website,read newspaper or watch TV.
newspaper and TV
http://china.qianlong.com/4352/2004/[email protected](楚天金报 )
http://news.sina.com.cn/c/2004-05-27/16382645096s.shtml(北京青年报 CCTV《时空连线》 )
Somemore
http://news.enorth.com.cn/system/200...01235695.shtml
Even CCP's Party newspaper "People's daily "had reported some
http://news.enorth.com.cn/system/200...01100899.shtml(人民日报 )
http://news.enorth.com.cn/system/200...01088768.shtml(南方都市报 )
http://www.boboi.org/2005/114/12089.html
http://news.sina.com.cn/s/2005-01-12/13434806212s.shtml

Last edited by byoker; April 18th, 2006 at 04:00 PM.
byoker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2006, 04:30 PM   #28
Gerard
registered muse

Likes (Received): 707

Thanks a lot for the great pcitures. So you found most of the sites where construction is taking place. I found Beijing one of the most interesting cities I've ever been to.

Beautiful landscaped parks and lots of historic monuments. Hope they will leave some of the Hutongs standing because they are also a little piece of history for Beijing. There are also a lot of smaller temples and things to go to.

But with the construction boom that is going on now one will not be able to recognise the city back in a few years time.
Gerard no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2006, 04:44 PM   #29
Tom_Green
Dr.Med. Tom Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerardB
Thanks a lot for the great pcitures. So you found most of the sites where construction is taking place. I found Beijing one of the most interesting cities I've ever been to.

Beautiful landscaped parks and lots of historic monuments. Hope they will leave some of the Hutongs standing because they are also a little piece of history for Beijing. There are also a lot of smaller temples and things to go to.

But with the construction boom that is going on now one will not be able to recognise the city back in a few years time.
Here is my other thread
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...=339650&page=1

Old April 18th, 2006, 05:37 PM   #30
ccoo

Likes (Received): 0

Thank U for the detailed pictures Tom, but ,please forgive me to figher out a litte flaw, the ptoho you took on #11 is not the 260mtall one which draw on the right side of the billboard ,the buildings under construction are the very one`s little brothers, a hotel and a domicile
ccoo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2006, 08:31 PM   #31
Tom_Green
Dr.Med. Tom Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccoo
Thank U for the detailed pictures Tom, but ,please forgive me to figher out a litte flaw, the ptoho you took on #11 is not the 260mtall one which draw on the right side of the billboard ,the buildings under construction are the very one`s little brothers, a hotel and a domicile
I think the render is not 100% correct.
The core is just too big. I saw the construction of the 319m tall Nina Tower in Hong Kong and the core of the taller tower was smaller. Such a core is unnecessary for a building smaller than 250m. Even for a 260m tall building the core is extreme big.

Old April 19th, 2006, 02:09 AM   #32
Muse
Supernature

Likes (Received): 32

Thanks again Tom. Love how you get into the guts with your pics
Muse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2006, 07:41 AM   #33
delores

Likes (Received): 467

any info on the new aiport in beijing there seems to be no threads on it? and it looks half finished already!??
delores no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2006, 08:10 AM   #34
Jose Luis
Skyscraper

Likes (Received): 44

OMG!!! All those massive building u/c its insane!!! Great pictures im expecting more soon
Jose Luis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2006, 08:26 AM   #35
Tom_Green
Dr.Med. Tom Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose Luis
OMG!!! All those massive building u/c its insane!!! Great pictures im expecting more soon
More u/c pics? O_O
I am back in Germany right now. I covered the most of the 10 tallest skyscraper u/c in Beijing.