daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Liverpool Metro Area > Completed Projects

Completed Projects Completed tall buildings in Liverpool and Merseyside.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 205 votes, 4.81 average.
Old October 10th, 2009, 01:15 PM   #8541
eyeam

Likes (Received): 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggedboy View Post
I agree. Even though it won't be full, Peters Lane in terms of numbers will no longer inspire that slight cringe that I get when I walk down it.

Come March the two units next to Onitsuka will also be filled as well.

However, as it stands, Hanover Street is actually commerically very little different from before Grosvenor touched it.

Kwik Save = now Tesco
NCP = now Q-Park
Chinese restaurant = French restaurant
Old homewares shop = nothing
Blacks = nothing
Old bathroom shop = nothing (formerly Bathstore)
Vacant space at junctions of school lane, college Lane and gradwell street = Replaced by a massive vacant space on the junction of Seel Street.

The only real benefit has been the BBC and Novotel, which although welcome, arent enough for me.

They will not have fulfilled their obligations until tenants are found for all ground floor units on Hanover St and they actually finish building. Site 21/22 is a huge hole.

Then there is the market that was announced as part of the street.
Maybe in terms of purely shops/businesses on Hanover St you have a point but that ignores the huge improvements to the built environment around there.

There is now good quality space for new businesses like the Chocolate Cellar to open and slowly get that street bustling again.

In the past there was nothing but billboards, surface car parks and crumbling shells so even if a business wanted to open there, they couldn't without big investment off their own bat.
eyeam no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old October 10th, 2009, 04:09 PM   #8542
watto1986
Destroyer of worlds

Likes (Received): 2

Does anyone know if the Krispy Kreme reported a few months ago is actually just the Krispy Kreme Cabinet in Tesco L1? lol

or are we getting a stand alone store?
watto1986 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2009, 04:23 PM   #8543
Chris B
Liverpool - Est. 1207

Likes (Received): 1415

Krispy Kreme was on the list provided by First 4 Retail News, which has unfortunately thus far proved to be largely inaccurate. As such while it's always possible we'll get a Krispy Kreme, I wouldn't be counting the days until one opens.
Old October 12th, 2009, 05:59 PM   #8544
Hanstar

Likes (Received): 0

Re: Red Hot World Buffet Not Red Hot....

Thought that it would be open on Saturday just gone... once again.. very disappointed!

It looks like that it needs another 2-3 weeks! The signage looks a bit seedy(!) and looks a bit unfinished too.. (I mean that it should have read RED HOT 'WORLD BUFFET' instead and not have the World Buffet & Bar below in white...)

Also.. Novotel seems to be recovering a bit better since the car crash.. doesn't seem have too much structural damage caused and looks like it won't be delayed by much..

Also.....is there any news on Namco Station/All-stars/something!? Is it still on? Not heard much news or seen much activity in the Leisure Terrace front...
Hanstar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2009, 06:21 PM   #8545
Paul D
CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER

Likes (Received): 1736

It was down for the 12th on the L1 site last time I looked,that's today,still no sign of it opening?
Paul D no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2009, 11:29 PM   #8546
Howie_P

Likes (Received): 71

Quote:
Masterplan of Liverpool One in final six for RIBA Stirling Prize
Oct 12 2009
by Vicky Anderson, Liverpool Daily Post

A decade after plans for Liverpool One began, Vicky Anderson reports on its unique architectural achievement

THE masterplan of the Liverpool One project is among the contenders for the biggest award in architecture – the RIBA Stirling Prize.

The winner will be announced this weekend in a televised ceremony.

The fact it has made it to the final six places is a unique achievement in itself, as it is thought to be the first time a masterplan, as opposed to a completed building, has made it to the shortlist.

And it’s a timely nomination, as those behind the project mark 10 years since the ball began rolling on the massive city centre regeneration scheme.

It was 10 years ago this August that Liverpool City Council launched the brief for what was then known as the Paradise Street Development Area.

Out of dozens of national and international developers, the Grosvenor team won the bid and took on architects BDP to devise the master plan.

The city-based practice split the 42-acre site into five distinct “character areas” and set about appointing dozens of other architects’ firms to work on separate segments of the project.

These ranged from local companies – city-based Studio Three are the practice behind what is known as the “origami building” to the side of the Palm Sugar Lounge, in Chavasse Park – to internationally renowned architects, such as Argentinian Cesar Pelli, who designed One Park West and has worked on some of the tallest buildings in the world.

Work on site began in 2004 and continued to the deadline of a grand opening in 2008.

Leading the project for BDP was director Terry Davenport, who said that making the Stirling Prize shortlist was the “icing on the cake” of a phenomenal undertaking.

“It is quite unusual for a masterplan to be considered, and almost unique to be considered in the final six,” he said.

“It was a very complex process across several years of activity, but, having been born and bred in the city, and knowing the impact it was going to have, has been exciting.

“Overall, personally, I’m very happy with the impact of what’s been created. Without a shadow of a doubt, this project can be seen as a benchmark for retail-led regeneration – not just in the UK, but Europe and farther afield as we go forward into the next decade. Other cities are now looking to catch up with Liverpool, instead of vice versa. We need to maintain that vision and that momentum.”

To coincide with the countdown to the judges’ decision, BDP has announced details of a book and exhibition on the project. The limited edition book, Liverpool, Regeneration of a City Centre will be available through RIBA bookshops, and the exhibition, ten+10, will be on display at RIBA’s Milk & Sugar gallery on Wood Street, from tomorrow until October 27.

Both will feature a selection of early drawings, plans and photographs of the Liverpool One project. Mr Davenport added: “To win the regional RIBA award was a great privilege, and then to make the final six was a wonderful surprise. To win it would be absolutely wonderful, and a huge statement of credit to the project, the team and the city.”
Continues >>
Howie_P no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2009, 08:09 PM   #8547
buggedboy

Likes (Received): 631

Went into the Entertainer today, which should do well at Xmas time and was pretty brisk today.

Also, the Gym had a queue outside, so it looks like doing extremely well.

I can't wait to drive past at night to see the 3 floors lit up.
buggedboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2009, 12:00 PM   #8548
T0M
Scousish

Quote:
Went into the Entertainer today, which should do well at Xmas time and was pretty brisk today.

Also, the Gym had a queue outside, so it looks like doing extremely well.

I can't wait to drive past at night to see the 3 floors lit up.
I went into the Entertainer the other day and was quite impressed. It's a lot bigger on the inside than it looks from the outside. Now that I've got a little lad I suddenly appreciate having a decent toy shop in the city centre far more. Anyone else remember that huge toyshop which used to be opposite St Johns next to the old bus station which you accessed from that footbridge? It was always the incentive to get me and my brother into town when my parents wanted to go shopping on a Saturday morning.
T0M no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2009, 12:15 PM   #8549
Chris B
Liverpool - Est. 1207

It's good to hear The Entertainer is doing well already. I know we have Toys R Us down on the Dock Road, but in terms of the main retail core, The Entertainer definitely fills a hole in the retail offer.

Tom - I remember the toy shop near the bus station. Whenever we were in town I always used to hope we'd get taken by that way, so we could look at all the toys. Although probably pretty basic by today's toy shops standards, as a youngster it was a great place.
Old October 14th, 2009, 09:52 PM   #8550
Bonner

Likes (Received): 4

[Anyone else remember that huge toyshop which used to be opposite St Johns next to the old bus station which you accessed from that footbridge?]

It was "Tumbles Toys and Games" at least that was the name during my era in the eighties. They also had a smaller outlet on Allerton Road next to where the Halifax is. Their customer service was second to none, they even delivered all my Star Wars toys to the house on Christmas Day!
Bonner no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2009, 01:49 PM   #8551
Damon

Likes (Received): 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonner View Post
Their customer service was second to none, they even delivered all my Star Wars toys to the house on Christmas Day!
Erm, surely that was Santa Claus?
Old October 15th, 2009, 02:41 PM   #8552
markonasty

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by T0M View Post
Thanks for the list Marvin, will be interesting to see how many of those names get close to the dates. At this rate Novotel could be open before the Hilton!
Hilton will be opening on the 17th November.
markonasty no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2009, 10:59 PM   #8553
Chris B
Liverpool - Est. 1207

According to their website, the Novotel will be opening on 2nd November. Therefore even acknowledging the fact the car crash might have set them back a little, it looks pretty certain that the Novotel will actually beat the Hilton to be first to open.
Old October 15th, 2009, 11:28 PM   #8554
watto1986
Destroyer of worlds

The unit next to Barclays seems to be being fitted out...

who is this unit for?
watto1986 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2009, 11:53 PM   #8555
buggedboy

Menkind

www.***************
Old October 16th, 2009, 10:58 AM   #8556
T0M
Scousish

Quote:
Good news, especially for Church Street. That was one of the first units to ever be finished and has been vacant ever since. I was just thinking the other day that we need a decent blokey gadget store - and hey presto! Perfect for the run up to Christmas, I just hope it lasts into the new year.
Old October 16th, 2009, 11:55 AM   #8557
buggedboy

I thought it's a bit tacky myself. A little desperate, kinda like the Wheels of Sport signing.

We'll see though.
Old October 16th, 2009, 12:04 PM   #8558
T0M
Scousish

True, but we're talking variety here, not necessarily high quality. Most gadget shops are a bit tacky, but that doesn't mean that we shouldn't have one in the city centre. It's all about providing more choice for customers.
Old October 16th, 2009, 12:12 PM   #8559
buggedboy

I want a remote control helicopter.
Old October 16th, 2009, 05:12 PM   #8560
watto1986
Destroyer of worlds

Few pics from inside the new Hilton

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/video...0252-24931827/