daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States Urban Issues > West Coast and Interior West

West Coast and Interior West Includes CA, OR, WA, HI, AK, AZ, NM, NV, UT, CO, WY, MT, ID and BC.

Old April 19th, 2006, 11:21 AM   #1
gojack10

Likes (Received): 0

Denver- Pros and Cons

Not much here about Denver, and since I am thinking of relocating there with my wife and 9 year old daughter, it would be nice to get some info on the locale form those who have spent some time there. First, why choose Denver over Colorado Springs, Boulder, Pueblo, and Fort Collins? And second, which would be the better suburbs or inner city neighborhoods to live in, and why?

I am a Texas native married to a Mexican national, and have lived and travelled all over the US with the exception of the NE, Miami, and Detroit. My idea of America's best city for livability is Portland, Oregon. followed by Seattle, Washington, and maybe Madison, Wisconsin. How does Denver stack up in comparison to those places? And how would it compare to places like Albuquerque, Pittsburgh, Providence, Portland, Maine, or Baltimore? Just curious.

I got to say that I have travelled through Denver a couple of times, and superficially I felt somewhat disappointed by what I saw. But it is bad to make judgements on a city on a day spent here, and a day spent there.
To those who live in Denver, is there more going on than just the proximity to the mountains? Is the city affordable at this time, or is it shooting off into the stratosphere with prices? And what about the schools? With Colombine, Denver's image as a food family place kind of took a hit.

Well, I hope that some of youj Denver residents will share some of your points of view. What do you like about the city? And what are the gripes?
gojack10 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old April 19th, 2006, 08:16 PM   #2
seajer

Likes (Received): 1

I have never been to Denver, but from what i hear from people who have lived there is pretty good. Busy airport, LRT rail system, rabid sports fans. I know Boulder is a college town with a liberal/ hippy feel to it. Great access to the mountains and Denver is very close. Given your examples of other cities you think are livable, I would avoid Colorado Springs. I hear it is one of the most conservative places in the country. I don't know your politics but that would be enough for me to not even consider it. Let's hear from the locals.
seajer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2006, 10:48 PM   #3
Milwaukee, WY
Front Range expatriate

Likes (Received): 52

Smile

Denver is a great city with a thriving downtown, arts and music scene, and Fort Collins and Boulder are similiar, but on a smaller scale. I lived in Fort Collins for a year and a half, and it is fantastic. Fort Collins is light on jobs, however, so if you move there, make sure you have one lined up first. (Which I'm sure you would moving a family...) As for the rest of the area, Denver is great, it does have traffic problems, (less of an issue if you can make use of the LRT) The schools in the state are fine, and I really wouldn't say that the Columbine incident says anything about the community. These problems exist in all over the country in cities large and small. The weather in Colorado runs the gamut, but it is generally dry, with cool to cold winters; and hot summers, with afternoon thunderstorms common on any given day from late April through late October. So, i guess it's all in what you are looking for. I rambled a bit, but I hope I was of some help.
Milwaukee, WY no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2006, 03:33 AM   #4
datilguy
SOUTH AFRICA

I used to live in Denver and my uncle still lives in Colorado Springs. Of the two I prefer Colorado Springs. Denver has both good points and bad points. I love the fact thats its truly a sports city! Absolutely amazing if you ask me. Also parts of the CBD are very nice and clean.

Its a bit too cold for my liking, and its not nearly as close to the mountains as some other good-sized southwest cities. Traffic is bad but no worse than other cities......

Personally...I thought Denver was actually a bit ugly, and when I lived there...I thought the crime was much worse than I expected.

The north valley is better IMO.....Boulder is cool, but not exactly cheap.

Colorado Springs is actually very pleasant, but its kinda non-descript....so if you're looking for something exciting....chose Denver. Colorado Springs is a nice place to raise a famliy in general, but Denver has of course many decent parts too.
Old April 20th, 2006, 05:14 AM   #5
ptownsnwbrdr

Go over to www.skyscraperpage.com if you want to learn more about Denver. That's where most of the Denver locals post.
ptownsnwbrdr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2006, 05:25 AM   #6
Cary NC
CaryNC

Well, I just noticed this thread and started to read it. I am currently living in Denver right now and i have lived in Sacramento, Salt Lake City, Seattle, and Raleigh NC. Of all the places I would choose Raleigh. What about Denver I have been here for just over a year now with my wife and three kids. I live on the south suburbs of Denver, in Littleton. Honestly it is not very great. IF you do not like to ski or do outdoor things ie mt biking, rock climbing, etc then there is not much to do. Coloradoans use nature as their playground. Now as far as traffic compared to Seattle there is no rush hour here. I lived in seattle and that was a rush hour. I lived in Renton, commuted to Bellevue 12 miles took over an hour at 6am in the morning. The light rail is suberb. I rode that from littleton to Downtown and it is great. Theya re about to open another 19 mile stretch in November. This is in connection to the big freeway reconstruction so there really won't be any rush hour. Sports to play is very expensive here compared to what I had in Raleigh. It is about $150 to play scocer for the fall plus you have to buy the uniform. That is from a neighbor with a ten year old. Best school district is Cherry Creek. Best place to live with a family is Highlands Ranch. You get to choose the school you want to go to in the district. Let me know where you are coming from and if you have anymore question. Of course people who haved here for a long time tend to slant a view. I am a newcomer and this is what I have seen.
Cary NC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2006, 05:40 AM   #7
hossoso

Weird. I have lived in Raleigh^which made me want to cut myself, but most of my life (and currently) I have been in Seattle. Everytime I have been to Denver I thought it was a bit sterile but nice. On the other hand, I have a lot of friends there that would not leave that city for anything. I don't know about the suburbs but if you are on this website I would guess that you are an urban enthusiast. Move to Denver, your kid will thank you for it, city kids are always cooler than mall-rats and busers. And the traffic in Seattle isn't that bad, you just have to know the backdoors and stay out of the eastside!
Old April 21st, 2006, 06:44 AM   #8
gojack10

Interesting. Nobody that has responded to my original post is exactly raving about the city it seems. I too found the city kind of ugly the couple of brief visits I did there before, datilguy.

You know, the way the regional listings are set up here is quite insane. What happened to the SouthWest? And Denver is listed somewhere as if it is in the MidWest region! I was at a forum theme, too, that was asking people's listings of liberal Southern cities on the SouthEast Area. According to the divisions set here, I could have stated... El Paso! Too funny.

Thanks Ptowns... I will check out the Denver related postings over on 'skyscraperpage'. And it does look like I will need to go spend a week or two in the Denver area before I make the final decision to move there or not. I will check out Colorado Springs, too. After years inTexas, I think that even the nutters in that city will seem like Far Left extremists in comparison.
gojack10 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2006, 04:43 PM   #9
teshadoh
100% Right 50% Of Time

I'll rave about the city if you want.

Denver is one of my favorite mid-level cities (& even metros) in the country & my wife & I have in the past attempted to move there - but as mentioned the lack of jobs halted us. Things are picking up again though, as my wife is interviewing for a job in Boulder - we're hoping it works out.

Having lived in Atlanta - as well as the suburban metro - for the past 16 years & before growing up in SC, I found the attitudes & environment of Denver & Colorado to be refreshing. We might even consider living in a suburb like Westminster if I eventually get a job in Denver (so we can be halfway between jobs).

As for attractiveness, besides downtown - take a look at Washington Park & City Park. Also, some of the suburban town centers are quaint, such as Golden. But when you take into account the relatively healthy job market (at least now), the relatively affordable housing market (at least for now) & the quality of air & water, it's a good pick.
teshadoh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2006, 08:22 PM   #10
Cary NC
CaryNC

Median House price in Denver is $253,000. They now have the highest ratio of foreclosures in the nation. They are one of two states in the nation that do not require mortgage brokers to be registered with the state, which they would need background check, fill past employment info, etc. The FBI found three people doing mrotgage deals from a prison illegally and cashing in on the lack of this law, so beware if you buy a house.

CO Springs, my uncle lives there and I actually like the feel better. Maybe becasue it feels like a community and not a glob of mess, like Denver metro can feel like at times.
Old April 21st, 2006, 10:13 PM   #11
teshadoh
100% Right 50% Of Time

Compared to other metro areas it's size - Denver is relatively compact for being an inland city. And especially compared to the typical sunbelt metro in the south - where exurban growth & population is becoming more dominant in Raleigh, Charlotte, Atlanta, etc.

I did like Colorado Springs, but had generally too much of a conservative vibe for my tastes - perhaps the heavy military presence there. But the downtown was quaint.

Regarding mortgage fraud, I will assume that is true - but unless that is just the tip of the iceberg of a laundry list of negative attributes of Denver, I would suggest you can find ANY amount of bad news for every city in the US.

I'm not doubting you haven't been pleased with Denver, but when has anyone ever agreed on any place? Having been familiar with Charlotte & Raleigh - I could never imagine myself ever wanting to live there, especially Cary. But to each his own, wouldn't you say?
Old April 21st, 2006, 10:39 PM   #12
teshadoh
100% Right 50% Of Time

But - as an addendum - the Front Range (Co Springs / Denver / Ft Collins) has been subject in the past decade of increased sprawl. So that is definitely an issue, especially living in Atlanta - I'm very aware of the issue of sprawl (though fortunately I don't live in the suburbs).
Old April 21st, 2006, 11:42 PM   #13
SacTown Andy
Mile High

I just moved to Denver from Sacramento about a year ago. I love this place so much that I don't see myself leaving anytime soon, if ever. Just about anything you could possibly want from a city you can find here, with not much downside. Easily one of the best cities in North America.

This may be in part due to having grown up in CA, but one of the few drawbacks that I have noticed so far is that occasionally I feel a little isolated. There aren't many other decent sized cities nearby, let alone large ones, (say within a day's drive), but you can find just about anything you could ever want in Denver anyway, so it's not such a big deal.
SacTown Andy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2006, 10:49 PM   #14
Cary NC
CaryNC

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrad
Compared to other metro areas it's size - Denver is relatively compact for being an inland city. And especially compared to the typical sunbelt metro in the south - where exurban growth & population is becoming more dominant in Raleigh, Charlotte, Atlanta, etc.

I did like Colorado Springs, but had generally too much of a conservative vibe for my tastes - perhaps the heavy military presence there. But the downtown was quaint.

Regarding mortgage fraud, I will assume that is true - but unless that is just the tip of the iceberg of a laundry list of negative attributes of Denver, I would suggest you can find ANY amount of bad news for every city in the US.

I'm not doubting you haven't been pleased with Denver, but when has anyone ever agreed on any place? Having been familiar with Charlotte & Raleigh - I could never imagine myself ever wanting to live there, especially Cary. But to each his own, wouldn't you say?
That I would agree on." But to each his own, wouldn't you say". As I have said before, that if you like the outdoor lifestyle with skiing, hiking, and rock climbing, etc. then Denver is a great place to live. I guess I just like my trees and humidity.
Old August 26th, 2008, 11:55 PM   #15
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Denver does stack up pretty nicely. Since I have family that live out there, I visit often. The city itself is kind of like a larger version of Austin. The sprawl is kind of bad but they are building new light rail lines everywhere. They do have some air quality issues in the winter though but other than that it is a pretty nice place, however it will probably be alot drier than you are used to, unless your are moving from west texas.

Since you are a Texas native home prices will be alot higher, but property taxes will be much lower.

Last edited by diablo234; August 27th, 2008 at 04:45 AM.
diablo234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2008, 06:58 AM   #16
Resident

I've been in Denver for about 2 years now, and I absolutely love it! I started out in Cap. Hill and I do miss it, especially being a dog owner it was nice to live next to Cheesman park. I live uptown now and don't drive anywhere, there isn't as much to offer in the restaurant scene, but I do live in an area where uptown basically meets downtown/south 5 points. So it's mostly highrises and government buildings. If you are a dog owner though, you will love Denver and Colorado in general... very very pet friendly.

As for Co. Springs, I think it's a great town. Much closer to the mountains than Denver, but as mentioned before it is very conservative (even for my previous Indianapolis standards).

Ft. Collins is great as well, but it just isn't big enough for me. I feel the same about Boulder, except you have to throw in how much more expensive it is than the rest.
Old February 24th, 2012, 03:42 AM   #17
jdn8011

To be honest Denver is easily the best city i have lived in. I have lived in San DIego, Los Angeles, Dallas, and Houston and none of those compare. I used to think the cuty sucked as i wasnt a very outdoorsy person but the city has grown to coddle both the outdoors and indoor people. The sports scene here is unlike anyother city except maybe Pittsburgh. If you like the outdoors there is so much to do with more parks in Denver than anyother metro city in the US. I now live in the southern most city in Denver, Highlands Ranch and taking the light rail downtown takes 20 min. The drive depending on when you go on the highways is an hour tops. The museum, zoo, art museum, sportsd venues, Coors building are just a handful of places to go. I wouldnt live anywhere else. If you want the big city feel, then live downtown. If you want the more rustic and old feel, wash park is perfect. Boulder is way too liberal and stinks with more homeless people then i have ever seen anywhere else but this is comingfrom a south denver person. It is a melting pot of ideas as well. So much music, art, food, you could spend your whole life here and not get it all. And this is easily one of the prettiest cities other than Portland like you mentioned. Plus, more sunny days here than Miami and San diego...
jdn8011 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2012, 04:15 AM   #18
MilwaukeeMark
I claim to be staff.

Likes (Received): 183

Portland +1