daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 20th, 2006, 09:19 AM   #61
FELIPE NATAL
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

Photos very very beautiful!!!
FELIPE NATAL no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 20th, 2006, 09:55 AM   #62
SU30MKI

Likes (Received): 0

2.5 mil sq ft huh? Pretty big. Very nice. Whats the new mall in south India, which is the largest in the country?
SU30MKI no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2006, 11:47 AM   #63
classhopper
No where else to live!

What a huge!
Old June 21st, 2006, 11:24 AM   #64
JD
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggers_jr
I didn't actually mean the above quote to sound sarcastic or confrontational - I'm genuinely curious about the mall phenomenon in Asia. I love malls, especially in Asia when the streets can be really overwhelming after a while. It's good to see India getting some decent malls because, frankly, India's malls suck.

Now you are lying big time as India is in discovery phase of malls. Care to enlighten us on sucky malls?
JD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2006, 01:04 PM   #65
shaggers_jr
can the can

Likes (Received): 174

Quote:
Originally Posted by tytler
Now you are lying big time as India is in discovery phase of malls. Care to enlighten us on sucky malls?
Oh god, the list wuld be too long. Basically, compared to the rest of Asia, India's malls are small, old and shitty.And no, I'm not lying. They suck.
shaggers_jr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2006, 04:54 PM   #66
kronik

Likes (Received): 26

Quote:
Oh god, the list wuld be too long. Basically, compared to the rest of Asia, India's malls are small, old and shitty.And no, I'm not lying. They suck.
India didn't have proper malls till the last decade. What it had before were little complexes with shops on the outside. Hardly pretty and hardly a mall.

Small malls arent really that bad. It has been discussed here a long time ago about the differences between small and big malls, and the purpose the small malls serve. India has lack of space in the urban areas, hence the small, but glitzy malls. Second, India does not have the mall culture in which people drive their cars to a big mall in the suburb and splurge, or stock up on stuff.

Hence malls here are in immediate vicinity of a city or a town and are small, as opposed to having to drive to one that is miles away from the city and is really big.

The thing is Indian cities is that city governments care squat about landscaping and aesthetics, so while everything around the mall will be dirty and chaotic, it's not too bad inside.
kronik no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2006, 05:56 PM   #67
Luxis
REserved User

Likes (Received): 77

Nice place, very huge malls. Congratulions
Old June 22nd, 2006, 09:13 AM   #68
its_gitika

great

hey but wats d nam of those newly proposed malls ??
n can u tell me d resp. citiez names.
Old June 23rd, 2006, 12:47 AM   #69
JD
BANNED

Quote:

Er.. shaggers_jr are you Indian? Or you have travelled all of the wilderness that is India?
Old June 23rd, 2006, 09:51 AM   #70
shaggers_jr
can the can

Quote:
Er.. shaggers_jr are you Indian? Or you have travelled all of the wilderness that is India?
I've travelled a great deal of India. I've done business in Bombay and, believe me, there were times I'd have given it all up for a crappy latte in a decent food court. India's malls are sub par, most are either run down or glorified department stores, but I am aware that they're building some very nice new ones. There's an especially good one that should be open by now in Banglaore.
Old June 23rd, 2006, 08:08 PM   #71
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

Likes (Received): 186

Wow, that's big. 1km of shopping on each floor? That's a great fitness regime, they should get rid of all escalators and only keep lifts for clearly disabled people and maybe their carers. There, Rik Waller can shed half his weight in a day's shopping.
The UK Housing Wiki - Attempting to document every tower block, council estate, private estate, housing association, tower block construction/ demolition method, tower block architect, tower block construction company... etc etc, in the UK. Everything to do with postwar residences! - Please join and help!

EREBUS - OFFICIAL MOD CANDIDATE 2011 - BRITISH MODS FOR BRITISH PEOPLE!
Erebus555 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2006, 10:47 PM   #72
JD
BANNED

Quote:
I've travelled a great deal of India. I've done business in Bombay and, believe me, there were times I'd have given it all up for a crappy latte in a decent food court. India's malls are sub par, most are either run down or glorified department stores, but I am aware that they're building some very nice new ones. There's an especially good one that should be open by now in Banglaore.

So you are not an Indian. Well then why do you think that you have actually seen Malls in India? When did you take the "great deal" journey of yours? I wonder why are insisting on your mall theory when everyone is saying that what you saw in India really was "glorified department store" as malls are new things in India. And yeh it sucks to not get latte but then I have so much of hard time getting "tea" (good tea wouldn't be the right word) in west. Why didn't you bring latte from whatever country you are? Or someone forgot to tell you that it's not a fad in every nation? Aren't you the ignorant one! Though I am sure you could get great tea in even those run down department stores.
Old June 24th, 2006, 03:59 AM   #73
shaggers_jr
can the can

Quote:
So you are not an Indian. Well then why do you think that you have actually seen Malls in India? When did you take the "great deal" journey of yours? I wonder why are insisting on your mall theory when everyone is saying that what you saw in India really was "glorified department store" as malls are new things in India. And yeh it sucks to not get latte but then I have so much of hard time getting "tea" (good tea wouldn't be the right word) in west. Why didn't you bring latte from whatever country you are? Or someone forgot to tell you that it's not a fad in every nation? Aren't you the ignorant one! Though I am sure you could get great tea in even those run down department stores.
What difference does it make whether I'm Indian or not? Why are Indians so touchy? Why can't you just accept the rather simple and not very major assertion that, as it stands, India is behind the rest of the world in the mall department? Being so defensive is a sign of immaturity and uncertainty. I'm sure India will catch up but, I'm sorry, as it is, Indian malls suck and there's no way I'm backing down on that.

Last edited by shaggers_jr; June 25th, 2006 at 05:10 AM.
Old June 24th, 2006, 04:21 AM   #74
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

*malls suck, in general.
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2006, 08:50 AM   #75
-Corey-
Je suis tout ā vous

Likes (Received): 5222

W)W

๏̯͡๏๏̯͡๏
-Corey- no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2006, 03:45 AM   #76
Toronto06
New Yorker in TO

Likes (Received): 5

india = full of potential
Old June 25th, 2006, 03:46 AM   #77
Toronto06
New Yorker in TO

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy
*malls suck, in general.
Old June 27th, 2006, 02:44 AM   #78
JD
BANNED

Quote:
What difference does it make whether I'm Indian or not? Why are Indians so touchy? Why can't you just accept the rather simple and not very major assertion that, as it stands, India is behind the rest of the world in the mall department? Being so defensive is a sign of immaturity and uncertainty. I'm sure India will catch up but, I'm sorry, as it is, Indian malls suck and there's no way I'm backing down on that.

I think insisting on things like "why asia is building malls when everyone else is giving up" or "why Indian malls are so bad" with no argument to support your assertions shows immaturity in my opinion. I think it's more of stupidity and less of maturity on your part! Things like "India is just discovering malls" obviously means India is way way behind the world in mall culture, no? Don't tell me that stupidity is your habit. Grow up and stop making dumb comments.
Old June 27th, 2006, 09:13 AM   #79
Kasheer
BANNED

Where exactly in Gurgaon is this being built?
Kasheer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2006, 09:38 AM   #80
shaggers_jr
can the can

Quote:
I think insisting on things like "why asia is building malls when everyone else is giving up" or "why Indian malls are so bad" with no argument to support your assertions shows immaturity in my opinion. I think it's more of stupidity and less of maturity on your part! Things like "India is just discovering malls" obviously means India is way way behind the world in mall culture, no? Don't tell me that stupidity is your habit. Grow up and stop making dumb comments.
I hate these petty fights but, unfortunately, I'm a very petty person. India's malls, in their current state, are bad compared to the rest of the world - I stand by that. The fact that India is getting new malls is good. There is nothing controversial in what I have said, far less "stupid".