daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 23rd, 2008, 10:24 AM   #201
SEQ92
BANNED

Likes (Received): 4

There are heaps of crazy drivers here in Brisbane too. One time we were going to the Gold Coast on the Pacific Mwy, and in the 110km/h section, we were doing 115 (naughty naughty ) and heaps of cars were speeding past us at like 130 or 140km/h! It seems some people really have a death wish...

Also people drive in the overtaking lane all the time in the ICB, very annoying to be stuck behind a slow truck in the fast lane, and another stupid truck in the left lane too! No wonder car drivers hate them, remember the car crash in Melbourne last year? This car was being tailgated by a truck driver, and ended up being pushed sideways as they changed lanes... the truck kept going as they didnt see the car in front being smashed.

And in front of them just happened to be the channel 9 ACA crew who happened to be filming with their camera pointing at the cars behind... hmm
SEQ92 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 23rd, 2008, 12:31 PM   #202
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

Sometimes i wish i had some kind of news ticker on my car that could say:

Speed limit is 80, not 55. (km/h). I really hate those people who are just crawling over the road. Especially in the Dutch province of Drente, were a lot of elderly people live, you see this often.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2008, 12:47 PM   #203
SEQ92
BANNED

Likes (Received): 4

Yeah slow pokes are really annoying. I was at our local shopping centre yesterday and there was this extremely OLD frail woman driving a car, she was too short to drive IMHO as she could just see above the steering wheel. Guess who was going at like 5 km/h in the carpark... I could probably walk faster than the speed at which she was driving...
SEQ92 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2008, 06:30 PM   #204
LtBk

Likes (Received): 3707

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czas na Żywiec View Post
They just passed a law in Colorado that if you are hogging the left lane on a motorway with a speed limit higher than 65mph/105km/h (So any motorway outside of urban areas) they can pull you over and fine you just for that.
Too bad its not enforced.
LtBk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2008, 06:49 PM   #205
Chicagoago

Likes (Received): 1451

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen669 View Post
Doesn't the keep-your-lane system in america allow you to drive in whatever lane you want?

No, everyone is taught to pass in the left and drive in the right. Outside urban areas, where there's so much congestion, the rule is almost always obeyed in the United States.

I've been coast to coast, border to border, and when in rural areas, I'd say 90%+ people in the US will drive in the right, pass in the left, and move over if someone is coming up upon them while they're in the left lane.

Of course you always get the random people who don't obey the rule, but concidering the hundreds of millions of cars and trucks in the US - it surprisingly works most of the time.

Urban areas are a whole different story....
Chicagoago no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2008, 06:52 PM   #206
Chicagoago

Likes (Received): 1451

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtBk View Post
Most police in the US don't give a shit about left lane hoggers or any other driver violation, even if its illegal under law. They only care about catching speeders for revenue. God, i hate US mentality sometimes.
You hate it SOMETIMES!? Every post you write is basically a sentence or two about how you pretty much hate Americans, all of them are selfish, and all of us go out of our way to disobey laws because we're all so horribly horribly self centered.
Chicagoago no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2008, 07:02 PM   #207
LtBk

And most of driving is done in urban freeways. We should do something about it.
Old January 24th, 2008, 12:00 AM   #208
TheCat
IsraCanadian :)

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtBk View Post
And most of driving is done in urban freeways. We should do something about it.
Most urban areas are so congested that lane discipline simply does not apply. Every lane becomes the slow lane when many cars going slow change into it to go faster. Usually, the right lane moves very slowly (due to traffic), and everyone moves to the left, not because they want to hog the left lane, but because they all want to go faster. But the problem is that people in the right lane don't go slow because they want to, but because of traffic.

Of course, in off-peak hours and on very wide freeways the left lane/lanes are still mostly used for passing, but very often the huge volume of traffic simply makes it impossible for orderly driving where everyone follows lane discipline exactly. On top of that, there is usually a lot of weaving in and out of lanes due to the close spacing of exits. This further slows down drivers in almost all lanes.

From my limited experience driving in the US, I actually agree with Chicagoago. On NY freeways (I-80 and I-81, among others) most people drove in the right lane. In fact, I found that almost all drivers more or less followed the speed limit. On the other hand, in Toronto, the left lane is often filled with drivers going 130-140km/h, and most of the time people don't hog the left lane if traffic volumes are low.
Old February 10th, 2008, 08:21 PM   #209
LtBk

Does you country have a rubbenecking problem on the roads?

For those who don't know, rubberneckers are people who slow down and stare
at accidents that happen off road or the other side of the road(in case the other side of the freeway/motorway). Its a problem in this state, but is it a problem in you country?
Old February 10th, 2008, 08:23 PM   #210
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Yes, all the time. Sometimes the traffic jam because of people looking might be even longer than the traffic jam behind the accident. I have seen reports of traffic jams because of watchers that can be over 20km long.
Old February 10th, 2008, 08:59 PM   #211
LtBk

I wonder if there is a way to stop people from rubbernecking.
Old February 10th, 2008, 09:09 PM   #212
ChrisZwolle
Road user

They developed some solutions in the Netherlands, like putting up a very large screen in the median around the accident scene. Ofcourse, this doesn't work completely, because traffic is always so heavy, the slightest disruption can cause huge backups. Like a rainy day can cause 50% more traffic jams than a dry day.
Old February 10th, 2008, 09:11 PM   #213
LordMandeep

Likes (Received): 12

its a problem, but everyone would find the sight of crashed cars somewhat interesting.

It causes a lot of problems, but its human nature.
Old February 10th, 2008, 09:13 PM   #214
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Some countries (like Belgium) have trees and plants in the median, this may help a little. But flashlights from police and fire trucks can always be seen. Sometimes, those green flaps are put along the center crash barriers, to reduce the headlights of upcoming traffic, this may also contribute in less sight to the accident scene.
Old February 10th, 2008, 09:15 PM   #215
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Yes. I also slow down, but to a still normal speed. I'm not that interested.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2008, 01:25 AM   #216
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8808

I think everywhere in the world suffers from it. I've witnessed first hand a crash in Auckland because someone was looking too closely at another. There was a "Motorway Patrol" episode on it!
Svartmetall está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2008, 02:07 AM   #217
go_leafs_go02

Likes (Received): 2

it is a problem here, but one way it has been reduced is to have flashing lights to be given the option to only light up one way so the traffic the other way does not see it.

it is easy to do with LED lights.
go_leafs_go02 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2008, 12:30 PM   #218
CborG
Rick Bakker

Likes (Received): 372

In NL we call those jams 'kijkersfile' Meaning something like viewers jam. Very annoying. The police has recenty started to use some sort of screens to block the view on the accident to prevent it. A better idea would be to use those green flaps, they are also very handy at night to block the lights from cars on the other side of the road.
Old April 14th, 2008, 07:07 PM   #219
PLH

Likes (Received): 2823

Illegal racing events in Your country

The most famous illegal racing event is obviously Gumball3000. You probably know more or less about it so I'd not focus on that one.

Do You have any non-international races, specific for Your country?

----------------

In Poland we have Rage Race

The idea is more or less the same as in Gumball - teams are racing through Poland and completening various tasks.

yum!

http://www.rage-race.pl/blog/?cat=2

-----------------------------

@ Chriszwolle If You find this thread not very suitable here we can move it somewhere
Old April 15th, 2008, 08:24 PM   #220
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1819

Swedes are crazy:
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote