daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 16th, 2008, 09:27 AM   #241
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

Why is Yukon so high? Moose?

Sponsored Links
Old December 16th, 2008, 02:41 PM   #242
ChrisH

Likes (Received): 12

UK accident statistics are here: http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/statistics...ortacciden.pdf

Table 8.3 gives you data for motorways.
ChrisH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2008, 04:13 PM   #243
pijanec

Likes (Received): 6

@Timon91: maybe drink & drive ?
pijanec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2008, 04:14 PM   #244
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

Yes, but why only in Yukon?
Old December 16th, 2008, 06:22 PM   #245
jsfox

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisH View Post
UK accident statistics are here...
Chris, thank you! Do you happen to know if when they've calculated the rates for motorways it is per miles driven on motorways or per total miles driven for the UK?
jsfox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2008, 07:08 PM   #246
ChrisH

Good question.

http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/statistics...b/2008edition/ is the front page of that publication. Section 7, Table 7.4 shows you traffic data; in 2006 there were 99.2 billion vehicle-km on motorways in GB.

Rounding the figures, 8000 casualties from 100,000,000,000 vehicle-km is 1 casualty for every 0.00000008 vehicle-km, or 8 for every 100,000,000 vehicle-km. The definition of a casualty in the UK is anyone who needed, and got, medical attention after a collision which was reported to the police. You might want to check there are comparable methods for other countries!

So yes, it is just for motorways
Old December 16th, 2008, 07:47 PM   #247
RawLee

Likes (Received): 1083

Deaths on the roads here(in Hungary),is 83 in this August. From this,0 on motorways...even 0 in the entire year!

(only in hungarian:http://www.police.hu/statisztika/koz...leset0808.html)

There were 31 deadly accidents(39 death) on motorways last year in the period I-XII. Overwhelming majority is because of either speeding or not yielding.
RawLee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2008, 09:12 PM   #248
ElviS77

Likes (Received): 54

The list isn't particularly surprising to me, and it is pretty conclusive regarding a few things. First, alcohol is a major killer on roads, and countries' attitude towards drinking and driving is a major factor. Also, based on personal driving experience in twentysomething European countries, I believe I could have placed each country fairly accurately on the list: Northern/Western European driving culture is far less aggressive than Southern/Eastern European, and even though motorways in, say, Greece or Romania are pretty straightforward, it's quite obvious that their way of driving leads to more accidents than you have in the Netherlands or Norway, for instance. Road quality matters surprisingly little, as does average age of the car park (Norway's roads are bad and we've got the oldest cars in Western Europe...). On the other hand, massive road improvements in Spain and Portugal have obviously helped in taking these countries out of the bottom section of the European statistics.
ElviS77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2008, 10:41 PM   #249
jsfox

Likes (Received): 1

FYI:

http://cemt.org/IRTAD/IRTADPublic/we2.html
jsfox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2008, 06:03 AM   #250
LtBk

Likes (Received): 3711

Quote:
Originally Posted by RawLee View Post
Deaths on the roads here(in Hungary),is 83 in this August. From this,0 on motorways...even 0 in the entire year!

(only in hungarian:http://www.police.hu/statisztika/koz...leset0808.html)

There were 31 deadly accidents(39 death) on motorways last year in the period I-XII. Overwhelming majority is because of either speeding or not yielding.
Excessive speeding? I was excepting higher because I thought Hungarian drivers are shitty.
LtBk está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2008, 09:12 AM   #251
RawLee

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtBk View Post
Excessive speeding? I was excepting higher because I thought Hungarian drivers are shitty.
Actually,the number of wounded is high,~17000 just this year,but "only" 599 death so far,though none on motorways. It was 18000/808 last year.
Old December 17th, 2008, 09:27 AM   #252
LtBk

Likes (Received): 3711

That's impressive!
LtBk está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2008, 09:48 AM   #253
(HUN)RoGeR
MSc of Chem Engineering

Likes (Received): 356

Quote:
And the lack of safety belt.

Edit: This Hungarian data looks neary impossible. Noone hurt on motorways? Can't imagine!
I think the police changed the statistic method and doen't count separate motorway.
The motorway accidents are integrated into the contys.

Last edited by (HUN)RoGeR; December 17th, 2008 at 09:59 AM.
(HUN)RoGeR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2008, 10:25 AM   #254
RawLee

Quote:
Originally Posted by (HUN)RoGeR View Post
And the lack of safety belt.

Edit: This Hungarian data looks neary impossible. Noone hurt on motorways? Can't imagine!
I think the police changed the statistic method and doen't count separate motorway.
The motorway accidents are integrated into the contys.
Check my source,I cant say anything else.
Old December 17th, 2008, 11:00 AM   #255
(HUN)RoGeR
MSc of Chem Engineering

Quote:
Check my source,I cant say anything else.
I've checked.
1st page: Numer of accidents with injury.
Motorways: 0 @ 2008. Nobudy hurt on motorways? Nothing minor (2007: 34 accident, 71 injury) and mayor (18/27) injury?
Impossible, I think.
Old December 17th, 2008, 11:28 AM   #256
RawLee

Quote:
Originally Posted by (HUN)RoGeR View Post
I've checked.
1st page: Numer of accidents with injury.
Motorways: 0 @ 2008. Nobudy hurt on motorways? Nothing minor (2007: 34 accident, 71 injury) and mayor (18/27) injury?
Impossible, I think.
Well,its not necessary that one might get hurt in an accident. I think "hurt" means,in this case,that you were taken to hospital->needed medical help. And since you dont really have accidents with 180km/h speed difference on motorways(which is quite possible on 2x1 roads,where cars go only with 90),I can believe these numbers. Colliding with 30 speed difference is not that much of a trauma...of course,if you dont land in the ditches.
Old December 17th, 2008, 11:37 AM   #257
(HUN)RoGeR
MSc of Chem Engineering

Quote:
Well,its not necessary that one might get hurt in an accident. I think "hurt" means,in this case,that you were taken to hospital->needed medical help. And since you dont really have accidents with 180km/h speed difference on motorways(which is quite possible on 2x1 roads,where cars go only with 90),I can believe these numbers. Colliding with 30 speed difference is not that much of a trauma...of course,if you dont land in the ditches.
No minor "hurt" means "heals within 8 days" and major means "heals beyond 8 day" (I hope've used the right expressions). So a broken arm is a major injury.
Old December 17th, 2008, 05:23 PM   #258
snowman159

Likes (Received): 3

A few things, I'd like to mention about statistics:

Considering only death rates is a little simplistic. People who die a couple of days, weeks, months as a direct result of the accident don't show up. Same thing with permanent injuries and disabilities, psychological aftermaths, etc. A low death rate, but large number of injuries doesn't exactly mean roads are safe, even though politicians or the media sometimes try to make that point (conveniently leaving out the number of injuries).

A single bad accident involving a large bus and lots of fatalities - which can happen even on the safest roads for various reasons (alcohol, fatigue, human error, etc.) - and the death rate may jump way up. That doesn't necessarily imply roads are more dangerous overall.

Also medical advances, improvements in rescue operations (response time, availability of choppers, etc.) can make an impact on the death toll.

Last edited by snowman159; December 17th, 2008 at 05:31 PM.
snowman159 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2008, 03:45 PM   #259
ChrisH

In the UK, people who die up to 30 days after a collision and as a result of it are counted as fatalities. You're right that in other countries the definition can vary. I think in Portugal as long as you make it off the road alive it's not a fatal accident, even if you die in the ambulance!
Old December 21st, 2008, 09:01 AM   #260
kokanee2

Likes (Received): 0

On the Trans Canada Highway between Banff, AB and Lake Louise, AB, there are a two to three overhead wild-life crossings, and as I understand all highway bridges have been set up as under-grade crossings.

http://www.cpawscalgary.org/campaign...erformance.php

Traductor Google: Ingles -> Espanol http://translate.google.com/translate_t#en|es|
Google Translate: Spanish -> English http://translate.google.com/translate_t#
kokanee2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote